Setting idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting idea

Hi everybody! I have this idea for a mage campaign and I'd like if you can help me with it. I think it's good because it has a lot of mysteries but this is my first campaign.

The core idea is this: the city had a full Council, the five Orders present but something happened and now everybody is dead. And for everybody I mean mages. The PJs are the only ones alive. They don't belong to the Orders, they awakened just after the incident. They must uncover what happened and learn about the Diamond Orders and Free Council from what is left behind. I'd like to see the PJs braking into a sanctum, bypassing the ward spells and uncover all the Mysteries step by step, instead of being indoctrinated by some elder mage.

Something like the LOST tv show, where the heroes uncover the ruins of Dharma Initiative stations and learned about it. Buy with magical orders and ancient secrets. And spells.

Do you think it may work? What should I pay attention into? Thanks!!

Yeah, it'll work, a lot of people have done basically that already.

Comment

Great! That means it works... I'd love if someone can share his/her experience running this kind of campaign setting

Comment

Tried to run that with my latestmage group - they did not like it, so we moved to the area with living

Originally posted by Alamantra View Post
        They must uncover what happened and learn about the Diamond Orders and Free Council from what is left behind. I'd like to see the PJs braking into a sanctum, bypassing the ward spells and uncover all the Mysteries step by step, instead of being indoctrinated by some elder mage.
        PJs I assume are PajamasJoggers? Or did you mean PCs - Players Characters?

Assuming second - there is one, very big problem with that scenario - Communication. For PCs to be 'proper' mages, they need to understand High Speech, as most Grimoires or lore elements are written in it. ( Orders would not make anything less, as HS is great coding and learning technique. It also differents them from Nameless that, on general, don't use it. ) Unless you will give PCs proper mentor that will teach them this - and the only one working is some Ghost Mage - they will have now clue what all those relics and inscription will mean. Only that they are 'weird' ( from their Mage Sights ).

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Every Mage automatically understands High Speech when they Awaken. The Orders grant the High Speech Merit that allows the Mages to use High Speech as a Yantra.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Every mage can instantly translate anything written in language? Because I thought they only can get 'listened' form.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
              Every mage can instantly translate anything written in language? Because I thought they only can get 'listened' form.
              Yes, High Speech in any form automatically translates.

Comment

High Speech is less of a language and more of a new sense. You might not know how to communicate to your buddy that you perceived a red bull, but you can see a red bull, and both of you will see the red bull when looking at it.

High Speech Merit isn't about being or not being able to understand or use High Speech, it's about being trained in the art of arranging these symbols in specific ways that can boost your spells. Kind of like anyone spend skill points in a computer game, but unless you are lucky, you must have deeper understanding of the system to spend them in optimal way that might unlock greater benefits.
                Last edited by WHW; 01-03-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I then try to understand how in Mage canon Grimoires and Order lore is written all over with High Speech. Does it mean that any Awakened can ready any text found in Orders libraries or Athenea? Even if for Sleepers occultists they are written in different languages, some even particular Awakened does not have? And he can still can read them?

LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I then try to understand how in Mage canon Grimoires and Order lore is written all over with High Speech. Does it mean that any Awakened can ready any text found in Orders libraries or Athenea? Even if for Sleepers occultists they are written in different languages, some even particular Awakened does not have? And he can still can read them?
                    Well, why not? To Sleepers they'll look like something out of the Voynich Manuscript. It appears to be a language, given its constistency, but Sleepers will have no clue how to read it because they have no point of reference to translate it by.

MtAw Homebrew:
                    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
                    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

I'm English Awakened, I go to the Arabia Ruins of Time Before, finding writing on the wall in Arabic High Speech. Just by that I understand everything what is written then?

LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

High Speech isn't written in different languages, it's written in High Speech the symbols of which are derived from the patterns that mana make when released from a Mage while using Focused Mage Sight.

You're referring to that High Speech variant thing, that didn't make High Speech a different language, it just used the inflections of a different language to mask the way High Speech sounded a bit. It was still just High Speech.

Comment

Digged up an old post by Dave Brookshaw here.

So it seems that High Speech can indeed be written in a nonsense string of real languages, or the rune-shapes that rise up when you release Mana in Focused MS. Mages understand both versions just fine.

EDIT

I'm English Awakened, I go to the Arabia Ruins of Time Before, finding writing on the wall in Arabic High Speech. Just by that I understand everything what is written then?
                          If what Dave said back then in the above link holds true still, then yes.

MtAw Homebrew:
                          Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
                          New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

There's an interesting question about how much information High Speech can convey. If you think about it, for a grimoire the High Speech component could well just convey the basic rote itself, but there's potentially a lot of information about it that might need to be written in a normal language.

For example, if your magi digs up a grimoire in Arabic, they may be able to read the rotes in High Speech, but not the warnings in Arabic that they're all scelesti rotes.

Comment

Language is the package for your message that needs to be properly unpacked to obtain what's inside.
                              High Speech skips the package and gives you just pure message.

Comment

Working...
                              X