X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alamantra
    started a topic Setting idea

Setting idea

Hi everybody! I have this idea for a mage campaign and I'd like if you can help me with it. I think it's good because it has a lot of mysteries but this is my first campaign.

The core idea is this: the city had a full Council, the five Orders present but something happened and now everybody is dead. And for everybody I mean mages. The PJs are the only ones alive. They don't belong to the Orders, they awakened just after the incident. They must uncover what happened and learn about the Diamond Orders and Free Council from what is left behind. I'd like to see the PJs braking into a sanctum, bypassing the ward spells and uncover all the Mysteries step by step, instead of being indoctrinated by some elder mage.

Something like the LOST tv show, where the heroes uncover the ruins of Dharma Initiative stations and learned about it. Buy with magical orders and ancient secrets. And spells.

Do you think it may work? What should I pay attention into? Thanks!!

• Alamantra
    replied
    Vent0 and Katana1515, both of you have give me plenty of amaizing ideas! I plan to use the sleeper side of the consilium, cults and secrets societies all under the Laberinth. I like that the sleepwalkers can send the PCs to the right path if they lost in the mysteries. I also love the idea about the spirits and the pacts left unattended! Thank you so much!

Leave a comment:

• Katana1515
    replied
    Did whatever 'happened' to the mages also 'happen' to their assistants? If not then you could have fun with lots of Sleepwalker NPCs, lost and bewildered, able to feed the new mages information and guide them down certain paths. What about the various Occult organisations, Cults, and other elements of the Labyrinth that are suddenly left untended? Theirs lots of fun to be had here.

Also the sudden destruction of an entire consillium by powers unknown is exactly the type of Mystery that is likely to lure in mages from other regions with more curiosity than common sense. Friendly and otherwise. you can use that to introduce new elements and factions later in the story.

I like this concept a fair bit. Its got lots of potential story hooks that you can throw at your players and watch them try and deal with. A few off the top of my head.

1. A powerful Spirit (something that represents a potent local landmark, The River Thames, The Statue of Liberty, The spirit of York Minister ETC) has started to stir and cause all sorts of terrible problems for the local Sleepers. In the past the cities most powerful Thrysus forged pacts with the spirit, lulling it into slumber with gifts of Essence and other more exotic and specific offerings. The PCs have to dig through the cities now abandoned Sanctums to try and work out what to do, what offerings to give, go out and procure them, then forge a new pact with the terrible entity, only without the advantage of Adept/Master level Spirit magic to smooth the way.

2. Just as your PC's start to get a handle on their powers, throw a curveball at them, an NPC (either someone they know or a new NPC) Awakens. Suddenly the Novices have to be the Masters and guide this person on the path of Wisdom. They then have to make difficult decisions once it turns out that their new apprentice is a Banisher (Once they work out what a Banisher IS that is).

3. Permanent Spells made by the various dead mages will start to fail. Sealing spells on all sorts of nastiness, Iris's to other dimensions, angry ghosts and spirits, the wards on a Mysterium Censorium or Guardian storehouse, all will eventually fail potentially causing havoc or exposing dangerous relics and knowledge to PCs and NPC's alike. A bunch of teenage runaways squatting in the abandoned Censorium stumble across something they shouldnt have and get turned into Something. The new Something's start to cause trouble and the PC's investigate. Do they delve into forbidden arts to find a way to turn them back? Do they capture them and stuff them somewhere out of sight where they cant cause panic or harm anyone? Will they be forced to give up and put the poor kids out of their misery before they can cause any more damage? How will they deal with the desperate parents and intrepid police officers looking for these missing kids?

You could tell versions of any of these stories in a standard setting of course, but stripping the PCs of the safety cord of 'Kicking the problem further up the chain of command' does add something to them.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Originally posted by Alamantra View Post
    Hi everybody! I have this idea for a mage campaign and I'd like if you can help me with it. I think it's good because it has a lot of mysteries but this is my first campaign.

The core idea is this: the city had a full Council, the five Orders present but something happened and now everybody is dead. And for everybody I mean mages. The PJs are the only ones alive. They don't belong to the Orders, they awakened just after the incident. They must uncover what happened and learn about the Diamond Orders and Free Council from what is left behind. I'd like to see the PJs braking into a sanctum, bypassing the ward spells and uncover all the Mysteries step by step, instead of being indoctrinated by some elder mage.

Something like the LOST tv show, where the heroes uncover the ruins of Dharma Initiative stations and learned about it. Buy with magical orders and ancient secrets. And spells.

Do you think it may work? What should I pay attention into? Thanks!!
    Well, some things to keep in mind:
    • How big was the prior Mage presence? A few Sanctums, or would the PCs be tripping over former Mage property?
    • How involved were the Awakened in the city's infrastructure and landscape? Were they key players in the government or social scene (and their absence is noted), hidden masters (with puppets now listening in vain for orders), or critical with keeping the supernatural peace (diplomatically, or in keeping horrors contained)?
    • What happened to the Mages, and how fast did it occur? Was something hunting them, one by one? Was there some magical catastrophe that took them all out at once? Did the mages know what was coming, or did it take them by surprise? Could it re-occur?
    • What did the Mages leave behind? Mysteries, lore, tools, etc? What about servitors?

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Originally posted by WHW View Post
    Don't you need to cast Invisible Runes in order to leave permanent...
    ...wow, it's a Duration based spell. Adding Reach for "spell is permanent" ASAP...
    ...permanent High Speech Runes, or is the spell here specifically for the purpose of making them invisible?
    Making them invisible.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Could we take out half of posts to other topic? As it's have nothing to the main idea of OP, but it's very engaging discussion over matter of High Speech.

Leave a comment:

• WHW
    replied
    Don't you need to cast Invisible Runes in order to leave permanent...
    ...wow, it's a Duration based spell. Adding Reach for "spell is permanent" ASAP...
    ...permanent High Speech Runes, or is the spell here specifically for the purpose of making them invisible?

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
    I kind of wondered if writing in High Speech doesn't involve more than just putting pen to paper, making it more trouble than it's worth for casual use.
    Well, maybe they look like the summoning glyphs in the Lesser Key of Solomon. They're a pain to draw, and they often require some valuable and obscure ingredient.

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    I kind of wondered if writing in High Speech doesn't involve more than just putting pen to paper, making it more trouble than it's worth for casual use.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

There's also the issue of time. I mean, I'm not clear on whether Runes for casting are exactly the same as written High Speech. If they are, then writing in High Speech is going to be a massive time sink. Alternatively, the way Runes section says 'properly drawing runes' suggests that a mage can half-ass written high speech if they want to which has it's own implications.
    I was thinking that "properly" drawn runes are those drawn with care and effort so that they are integrated into the mage's imago, and thus usable as a Yantra. Sorta like how the High Speech Merit represents the ability to use High Speech as a Yantra, not just fluency in it.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Not sure if you would want to create High Speech runes of possible consequences of Abyssal Stuff. After all, High Speech is pretty much "imago in a can" (which is why it's so good for Rotes - you can literally see the imago, something that's pretty much impossible to perfectly communicate using any other method)...I can image Mages not wanting to create "pocket imagos" of abyss.
    Sounds like a cool plot seed.
    That did occur to me after I wrote the example. Although my thought was more about whether that's even possible. I mean, a Scelesti could but can normal High Speech encode the concept of something outside the Supernal?

Of course, you could just slap a giant DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! rune on it.
    That was more what I was meaning. There seems to be some implications that High Speech is kinda crude and difficult to use fully. Like, you can easily write 'danger, don't open' but writing a full explanation as to what's going on and why exactly it's dangerous is somewhat beyond most Awakened.

There's also the issue of time. I mean, I'm not clear on whether Runes for casting are exactly the same as written High Speech. If they are, then writing in High Speech is going to be a massive time sink. Alternatively, the way Runes section says 'properly drawing runes' suggests that a mage can half-ass written high speech if they want to which has it's own implications.

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Of course, you could just slap a giant DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! rune on it.
    And now I'm imagining a grimoire or an Artifact designed just like that. Complete with a visual image that suspiciously looks like one of those big, red, self-destruct buttons that mad scientists always put in their stuffs.

Leave a comment:

• WHW
    replied
    Not sure if you would want to create High Speech runes of possible consequences of Abyssal Stuff. After all, High Speech is pretty much "imago in a can" (which is why it's so good for Rotes - you can literally see the imago, something that's pretty much impossible to perfectly communicate using any other method)...I can image Mages not wanting to create "pocket imagos" of abyss.
    Sounds like a cool plot seed.

EDIT

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    There's an interesting question about how much information High Speech can convey. If you think about it, for a grimoire the High Speech component could well just convey the basic rote itself, but there's potentially a lot of information about it that might need to be written in a normal language.

For example, if your magi digs up a grimoire in Arabic, they may be able to read the rotes in High Speech, but not the warnings in Arabic that they're all scelesti rotes.
    You can't lie or use metaphors in High Speech but you could certainly convey the dangers of such Rotes.

Leave a comment:

• WHW
    replied
    Language is the package for your message that needs to be properly unpacked to obtain what's inside.
    High Speech skips the package and gives you just pure message.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X