Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[2E] Do Status (Free Council) = Status (Assembly)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Do Status (Free Council) = Status (Assembly)?

Something that occurred to me when updating Boston Dead Wrens mages to 2E rules. Corebook says this on the matter:

Originally posted by MtAw, p. 71
    In practice, Assembly is usually the same thing as the Free Council Caucus, except for a handful of younger or less established mages who think they’ll get a better result appealing to the Libertines than going to the Hierarch.
    So for characters from Diamond Order that are part of Assembly enough is for them just buy Status (Free Council), as both Libertines Caucus and Assembly are the same thing?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

I think so. Hanging out at the Assembly is generally going to limit your ability to progress in the Diamond Orders.

That's not to say that's true in every possible case, just most of them.

Comment

I would generally say that it depends on the composition of the Assembly. When it's almost entirely Libertines, the two are one and the same. When it's more or less replaced the local Consilium, they're not, since Status (Assembly) also begins to represent sway and/or legitimate authority over people who are not members of the Free Council.

Comment

Depends on the local power of the Assembly.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Female pronouns, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
          I would generally say that it depends on the composition of the Assembly. When it's almost entirely Libertines, the two are one and the same. When it's more or less replaced the local Consilium, they're not, since Status (Assembly) also begins to represent sway and/or legitimate authority over people who are not members of the Free Council.
          So, in only Los Angeles-like setting, where in Assembly are whole 5 Caucuses of Pentacle Orders and there are separate Consilium? There only Status (Assembly) as separate Merit would have sense?

Only in model like in L.A. difference is really noticeable?
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-06-2017, 04:18 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            Something that occurred to me when updating Boston Dead Wrens mages to 2E rules. Corebook says this on the matter:

So for characters from Diamond Order that are part of Assembly enough is for them just buy Status (Free Council), as both Libertines Caucus and Assembly are the same thing?
            It'd actually be better to get Status (Free Council) because Status (Boston Assembly) wouldn't work outside of Boston.

But in LA Status (Los Angeles Assembly) would be like taking Status (<city> Consilium). Of course, in LA Status (Los Angeles Consilium) also serves a purpose since there's also a Consilium.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

I just want to add that Status in an Order does not automatically mean that you can use the Status outside the area where you got it. Hence one of the Egregore dots for Mysterium.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

You can actually use it outside your home city/caucus, but only to a limited extent.

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                So, in only Los Angeles-like setting, where in Assembly are whole 5 Caucuses of Pentacle Orders and there are separate Consilium? There only Status (Assembly) as separate Merit would have sense?

Only in model like in L.A. difference is really noticeable?
                If I recall, the LA setting has a huge Assembly and a few Consilia clinging to the hills, the former representing the overwhelming majority of Mages in the region. In that case, yes, you would need to distinguish between Status (Assembly) and Status (Free Council). If, however, it's a more typical setting where the Assembly is more or less only libertines, you can get away with just having the latter.

Comment

"automatically"

The ST might also want to grant the other Status as an RP Merit that does not fall under Sanctity of Merits. In fact, that's what my group does to Status and similar Merits in most cases. You've shown yourself to be a large player in an organization you automatically gain non-Sanctity Status that match your achievements.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X