Mystery: Fae Warlocks of Arcadia! [Crossover Template Brainstorming]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery: Fae Warlocks of Arcadia! [Crossover Template Brainstorming]

So this has been kind of percolating on my back burner for a little under a month since an earlier discussion about a hybrid template akin to the Admonitoria and I feel like I keep having to beat back tangential ideas over the course of working on the concept solo — the existing work is already at least partially a set of loosely-related ideas I've been trying to get to harmonize for weeks. Accordingly, I've concluded that it's time to dump some of my notes on the forums and check for feedback on how to develop this thing that started as an attempt at a third leg of the triangle formed by the Tremere and the Admonitoria by hybridizing or at least alluding to both Mage and Changeling. Given the granularity involved in working with the Awakened template (combined with the fact that Mage's 2e corebook is complete and available to the public), the bulk of my work so far has focused on that side of the metaphysics.

(Fair warning that this is long and rambling and loosely-organized at best.)

First item on the list: A "Path" that treats hermium as its primary resonant Perfected metal. Perfected mercury resonates with both Pandemonium and Arcadia, which means the Mastigos and the Acanthus gain 9-Again on spellcasting that uses it as a material in a magical tool. Given the peculiarities of hermium (and ordinary mercury, which should also act as a resonant material if the existing single-Path Perfected metals are any precedent), this makes the utility of the substance rather limited without the benefits of Matter magic to solidify any such instrument.

The matter of Path resonance further complicates things when it comes to determining what sort of Weapon-type Path Tools are viable — do I borrow from one of the neighboring canon Paths, or do I try to formulate a distinct symbolic category?

In any case, with this I have the beginnings of a working title for the group.

Next item: A modification to the Awakening and resulting Awakened state that resonates with the themes and/or lore of Changeling: the Lost. Hermium supplies a hefty Yantra bonus to spells concerning shapeshifting and transformation, and one of the more common points of inspiration for Changeling is the surreal dreamlike interactions of Alice in Wonderland. Notably, the Mad Hatter has been associated with the "mad hatter's disease" brought on by the occupational hazard of mercury poisoning in hatmaking.

Also notably, the Lost have an entire Seeming largely focused around a character's obsessive use of their chosen skillset as a means to exert structure on the chaotic forces of Faerie. Also also notably, hats are often used as symbolic shorthand for professional or structural roles, and role-playing serves as one of the fundamental elements of how a freehold works as well as the most basic description of how one adopts the persona of a Shadow Name. This kind of specialization further resonates a bit with how the Rote Specialties of an Order work.

My tentative name for the group solidifies a little more: I'm presently calling it The Guild of the Quicksilver Circlet.

Thirdly: A common origin or root means of transformation. The Admonitoria are a hybrid between two supernatural species that depend on an outside actor to initiate the change and the Tremere are the product of drastic tampering with Awakened souls through the more virulent of the two aforementioned species, but there's no common Awakened equivalent of a sire or Keeper and "one of the True Fae warped an Awakened mage" both already exists as a concept in 1e changeling and lacks narrative panache.

At present, the Guild is entangled with an unusual Emanation of Fate — The Brim, Realm of Determination, presided over by The Bearer of the Ever-Flowing Crown and its assorted tenants and aspects, is where the Guild must break free from to complete their Awakening and claim a magical identity; this manifests in a stronger emphasis on the Shadow Name Merit than typical Awakened have.

Fourth: A means of subdivision within the template. Changeling Courts are not solitary groupings, and given the amount of Mastigos theming that's running alongside the Guild it would be remiss to not have its individual members struggle against something — the periodic use of iron as a symbolic descriptor for the Exarchs might be worth exploring, but the Guild's connection to the Brim is probably a better thing to keep in focus given the breadth of rabbit-holes one can fall down in Mage's lore.

Here the template takes marginally more cues from the Tremere — the Guild has a universal Ruling Arcanum of Mind, but is divided into what are tentatively called Houses, which set a member's Ruling Gross Arcanum, Inferior Arcanum, and part of the tenor of their viable Shadow Names. There's one House for each Gross Arcanum, each named for a season (Time goes to Solstice/Equinox), and their Inferior Arcanum is presently either Death or Spirit depending on which half of the year the other Arcanum is more appropriate to (Spring and Summer lose Death, Autumn and Winter lose Spirit; Solstice drops Prime instead).
    House is further set by how a character first escaped from the Brim, with the principle division being how the character circumvented the Bearer of the Ever-Flowing Crown's design — Spring and Summer generally escaped in markedly more cooperative or aboveboard fashions than Autumn and Winter, while the Solstice House largely avoided the confrontation through the good graces of liminal time.

There's also the matter of Legacies. Entitlements/noble orders are a thing in Changeling, and Legacies often can and do take on the bent of a profession by virtue of mundane Skill prerequisites — given the Guild's relation with Shadow Names, it seems viable to relate the Cabal Theme Merit to this weird insular set of hat-wizards; likewise, relating any Legacy they develop to the Arcanum of their related Emanation seems a suitable limitation, especially given the type of subjects Fate can meddle with in the realm of archmastery (and given Changeling's parallel to the Threshold Seeking).

There's a couple other assorted tidbits I'm fiddling with, but I think the above is quite long enough for now, so here's a bulleted list of the relevant tentative adjustments to the Mage template as they currently stand for the Guild:

• Ruling Arcana are Mind and a Gross Arcanum determined by House (Spring = Life, Summer = Forces, Autumn = Space, Winter = Matter, Solstice = Time)
    • Inferior Arcanum is determined by House (Spring = Death, Summer = Death, Autumn = Spirit, Winter = Spirit, Solstice = Prime)
    • Rote Skills are [choice between Occult and Investigation], a choice from two determined by House (Spring = Empathy/Survival, Summer = Persuasion/Athletics, Autumn = Intimidation/Larceny, Winter = Subterfuge/Stealth, Solstice = Expression/Weaponry), and a free choice derived from your Legacy once you develop one.
    • Can only develop Legacies whose third Ruling Arcanum is Fate, cannot master the Fate Arcanum before having it as a Ruling Arcanum, can only learn Fate Rotes from other guildsmen, cannot acquire a third Rote Skill until joining a Legacy, can only develop the Cabal Theme Merit after forming a Legacy bond with another guildsman (which gives the Merit to both characters for free).
    • Starting Arcana distribution must have three dots in a Ruling Arcanum and include at least one dot in the Fate Arcanum; character cannot purchase the Shadow Name Merit, but receives a free dot in it for every Ruling Arcanum they possess at three dots or more; Shadow Name's symbolism must include symbolism appropriate to their House.
    • Gains an additional Vice for every dot in the Shadow Name Merit (including the effective extra dot from Cabal Theme), and may choose to recover 1 Mana instead of Willpower upon fulfilling their Vices within the Brim, within Demesnes created with a guildsman's soul stone, within nodes whose Resonance corresponds to their House's attendant symbolism or Arcanum, or during their House's season.
    • Gains the Path-resonant benefits of using hermium as a magical tool and treats mercury as a Path-resonant material for the purposes of magical tool qualifications.
    • Only articles worn on or over the head, hair, or face can be made soul stones, but such objects may be treated as Order Tools whether they house a character's Gnosis or not, and ordinary Dedication of such tools only requires a week of indiscriminate magical application instead of a month.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Like the idea of expanding the good work the Admonitoria post did through more experimental hybrid splats. By biggest question is if the Acanthus and Mastigos are going to be the only Path options available to the Hybrid Splat?

Because an easy fix for the common origin is to simply use the "Seeming as Awakening" approach that the Admonitoria did for the Embrace. This way, any Path can be used to free one's self from Fallen Arcadia. Plus the rules of the Mystery Play would force Fallen Arcadia to adhere to the new narrative, and thus allow a path to escape.

Mechanically speaking it would be:

Seeming: Changeling/Mage Hybrid
    Path: Any Mage Path

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
      Like the idea of expanding the good work the Admonitoria post did through more experimental hybrid splats. By biggest question is if the Acanthus and Mastigos are going to be the only Path options available to the Hybrid Splat?
      At the moment they're being developed as though they were a Path with a lot of forks in it rather than a modification to an existing character — it's not so much that they're variant Acanthus and Mastigos as it is that the Path shares some conceptual baggage with those two Paths and the Acanthus are in many ways specifically about the opposite sort of themes to what Changeling deals with — being able to directly meddle with the supernatural underpinnings of pledgecraft or rewrite your entire backstory isn't quite as resonant with the Lost as defining oneself by opposition or embracing negative qualities.

Some newer thoughts and ideas:

• Borrow the Weapon Path Tool correspondences from the existing Paths and map them to the Houses that share their Gross Arcanum — Autumn gets cruel weapons, Solstice gets precision weapons, Summer gets noble weapons, etc.
      • Partially replicate Techné for one or more Rote Skills to further the notional echoing of the Wizened?
      • Play up an aspect of general commonality between changelings and mages as summarized by Khonsu: "[Awakened] souls are expert escape artists." Introduce some ambiguity as to whether the Guild are weird astral projections, possibly by meddling with how Pattern restoration/scouring works and/or by porting some of the mechanics of Dream Forms to the waking world?
      • Provide a means of inducting normal mages into the Guild through the Brim and/or the Bearer of the Crown — whatever this process is, it ought to liquidate at least some of the character's Fate- and Legacy-based resources in a manner similar to the established limitation.
      • Possibly require any Threshold Seeking done by a guildsman to involve the Fate Arcanum and/or the Brim and/or the Guild — maybe this is a way out of the Guild, or the means by which the Bearer secures new guildsmen, or both?

Comment

What's your reasoning for the Inferior Arcanum choices? Is there a reason why you're excluding Gross Arcana from consideration? I know that Warlocks of Arcadia says that you should choose your Shame from among the remaining Subtle Arcana; but it also says that your Shame is independent of both Path and Realm. You're deviating from the latter; why not the former as well?

It's worth noting that the two Paths that you're borrowing from happen to be the two Paths that have Gross Inferior Arcana: Forces for Arcadia, and Matter for the Warlocks. It wouldn't be a bad idea for Autumn's Inferior Arcanum to be Matter and for Solstice's Inferior Arcanum to be Forces, with Death, Prime, and Spirit distributed among Spring, Summer, and Winter. Or maybe leave Prime out, too, and assign, hmm… Life as Winter's Inferior? That said:

Changeling 2e is ditching the notion of universal Seasonal Courts in favor of every Freehold having its own Court system. With that in mind, locking this Path into the Seasons might not be the best idea. As a possible alternative, maybe use the other five Seemings (excluding Wizened, which you appear to be incorporating into the core of this Path)? Beasts (Life), Darklings (Space?), Elementals (Matter), Fairest (Time?), and Ogres (Forces).

I'm assuming that the Fate-based Legacy mandate is there because, hey, it's hybridized with Changeling where Wyrd takes center stage. In truth, you need both Mind and Fate among the Ruling Arcana, despite only having room for one of them. Personally, I would have chosen Fate as the default Subtle Ruling Arcanum, with Mind being brought in through Legacies; but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
          What's your reasoning for the Inferior Arcanum choices?
          Combination of those being the two Arcana for overt goetic manifestation and interfacing with contrasting Invisible Realms — Autumn and Winter being esoteric and hidden Courts related to the colder and sparser half of the year makes them marginally better-suited to the Arcanum of shadows and evidence-disposal and what is arguably the weirdest of the common Invisible Realms, while Spring and Summer get to handle the relative bounty of Essence and attendant hostilities and negotiations surrounding its corresponding ephemeral beings.

Solstice's pick is because the Guild's got a tentative interaction with geomancy that goes a little screwy if the fence-sitter faction can redirect ley lines and negate magic as readily as the others can.

Is there a reason why you're excluding Gross Arcana from consideration?
          Because my initial drafting had the four non-Solstice Houses take their opposite number's Gross as Inferior and this had counterintuitive consequences thanks to the way Arcana are structured — having Life be Inferior means Autumn has to veer into Death or Time in order to wither plants and indirectly weaken people, losing Matter deprives Summer of basic material defenses, and making Forces Inferior for any of the main four severely limits the extent of weather-and-temperature-manipulation despite a lot of the thematics behind Contracts keying off of the natural world (Matter and Life run into similar general complications from different angles).

Mind Ruling and Prime Common for most of the Houses means the bigger picture of resonance and geomancy isn't lost if I lock off one of the other Invisible Realms, but the Gross Arcana aren't divided in a manner that meshes with the thematic bent of the Lost's magic.

I know that Warlocks of Arcadia says that you should choose your Shame from among the remaining Subtle Arcana; but it also says that your Shame is independent of both Path and Realm. You're deviating from the latter; why not the former as well?
          Because "Warlocks of Arcadia" is in the title of this thread pretty much entirely as a joke about how this Changeling-themed template-hack that juggles the Ruling Arcana around from the standard sets has more in common with the Path to Pandemonium than the Supernal Realm whose common names contain overlap with those of Faerie while still happening to produce a character subdivision that would be exactly the eponymous Path in that systems hack from the Chronicler's Guide.

That said, further contemplation has me wondering whether making Fate Inferior for the Solstice and Time Inferior for the remaining Seasons might have anything to recommend it.

Changeling 2e is ditching the notion of universal Seasonal Courts in favor of every Freehold having its own Court system.
          I can be safely assumed to know this already.

Building this thing piecemeal with the mechanics mostly preceding the narrative means trying to throw together a more particular political structure before I've solidified all the hardpoints on the concept is out of my bailiwick at present, which is why I've hit the point of making a brainvomit thread in the first place.

With that in mind, locking this Path into the Seasons might not be the best idea.
          Considering that building this as a discrete phenomenon rather than a universal quality is pretty much the only way I've been able to actually get any mental traction, I'll take what I can get, particularly if what I can get is a decent five-to-five mapping scheme from which to build and diverge.

I'm assuming that the Fate-based Legacy mandate is there because, hey, it's hybridized with Changeling where Wyrd takes center stage. In truth, you need both Mind and Fate among the Ruling Arcana, despite only having room for one of them.
          Court structure includes emotional resonance as a baseline feature, Mind is the most appropriate Arcanum for messing with dreams and Vices and memories and fragmentary consciousnesses, and Fate plays merry hell with the assumptions of pledgecraft while also serving as the medium through which fae powers operate.

I would rather provide a vector for weird pseudo-Fae archmastery and exploring an odd Emanation Realm than have to sort out how a collection of people with an innate talent for directly messing with pacts don't shed fortune-riding drifters in complete opposition to the more common state of territorial governance presented by changelings.

Comment

A thing I wasn't sure about:

• Guildsmen treat Mind and Fate as their Path's Ruling Arcana for the purposes of Supernal Summoning, and subtract their House Arcanum dots from the number of successes required. However, their adjustments for Path and Realm also apply to the Houses of the Guild, and they can only consistently summon recondite Supernal beings between Rank 2 and Rank 4. (These beings behave like Wraiths and Moirae with an additional ban of "Spells must avoid iron" and an additional bane of "Iron untouched by magic.") Attempting to summon a Rank 1 or Rank 5 Supernal being means a chance die is rolled once the necessary successes are accrued — on a success, the desired entity is summoned; on a failure, a random Rank 1 Supernal being is summoned instead; on a dramatic failure, the Bearer of the Ever-Flowing Crown is summoned, with a Trial and root Arcana tailored in opposition to the summoner's Shadow Name (Succeeding at this Trial generally rewards the guildsman by refilling their Mana and Willpower pools and an effective increase of two dots to their Shadow Name rating for the remainder of the story).

Latest tentative tweaks, for consideration:

• Finalized the aforementioned Weapon Tool category transplants.
            • Changed Inferior Arcana to Spirit for Solstice and Time for everyone else.
            • Changed free Shadow Name dot distribution point from "every Ruling Arcanum you possess at three dots or higher" to "every three dots you have between Mind, Fate, and your House Arcanum."
            • Removed Fate-based Legacy lockout, to be replaced with Gross Arcanum-based Legacies for Solstice and Subtle Arcanum-based Legacies for everyone else.
            • Changed Fate-mastery lock to necessitate tutoring from a guildsman or investigation of the Brim and/or its natives.
            • Limited the Amnion to lower of Gnosis and Fate dots, but added the ability to manifest it outside the Astral for a point of Mana per scene, visible to Mind's Eye and other supernatural senses.
            • Replaced Mage Armor Attainments with [Arcanum] Mantle — the character can increase the Yantra bonus for an Environment Yantra applicable to a spell whose highest Arcanum corresponds to the Mantle by up to half their dots in the Arcanum (round up) by spending as many points of Mana as part of the casting, or generate minor ambient effects equivalent to a +1 Environment Yantra for the duration of the scene by spending [6 - Arcanum dots] points of Mana.
            • Added the ability to manifest Path Tools outside the Astral a la Dream Form; cost is 1 Mana per scene, duration of effect is one scene.
            • Changed Dream Form Attributes to Changeling's best-of-all spread rather than Mage's better-of-Mental-and-Social spread.
            • Added the ability to spend [5-(Shadow Name dots)] points of Mana to physically enter Mind Twilight indefinitely, during which time they possess their Dream Form and are subject to all the benefits and drawbacks of Veil of Moments (though they may still regain Mana) until they spend [Shadow Name dots] points of Mana to rematerialize.

Comment

Trying to sort out whether to start developing the Guild's mechanics toward a partially possessive/dream-parasitic bent — does having a secondhand Oneiros and drawing uncomfortable comparisons to the Mad Ones or their tulpas seem like a workable means of shifting the focus of the splat closer to mortals and humanlike characters?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                Trying to sort out whether to start developing the Guild's mechanics toward a partially possessive/dream-parasitic bent — does having a secondhand Oneiros and drawing uncomfortable comparisons to the Mad Ones or their tulpas seem like a workable means of shifting the focus of the splat closer to mortals and humanlike characters?
                Call me out for not knowing what I'm reading about, but why would those choices make the Guild's activities closer to mortals?

Did you adjust any more parts of the template? I'm particularly curious about Wisdom and Gnosis.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                  Call me out for not knowing what I'm reading about, but why would those choices make the Guild's activities closer to mortals?
                  It gives them a reason to interact with the world outside the Brim besides picking up Obsessions related to things not common to the pocket dimension that serves as their best bet for Mastering Fate short of seeking tutelage from the Acanthus or Fate-based Legacies.

Did you adjust any more parts of the template? I'm particularly curious about Wisdom and Gnosis.
                  A fairly extensive re-iteration has resulted in a bit of a refocusing to tidy up some of the external features — much of it through the systems for ephemeral beings — but at present I'm a little caught up in sorting out the place of the Guild's variant Sancta to know what I want to change about the mage template's core stats. Some peripheral tentatives, though:

• A Guildsman's Long-Term Nimbus spreads through their host body's sympathies rather than their own.
                  • A Guildsman can store an extra quantity of Essence (though not Mana) in their Pattern equal to their Shadow Name dots; if they run out of Essence they suffer the effects of soul loss until their regain a number of points of Essence equal to their Shadow Name dots (which they can do by sleeping in proximity to appropriate Resonance).
                  • A Guildsman's casting pool uses the higher of their Gnosis and Fate dots in place of Gnosis.
                  • A Guildsman's Mage Sight reveals the presence and nature of the Resonant Condition regardless of what Arcana they incorporate into it.
                  • A Guildsman's casting pool only uses half the dice from their non-House Arcanum rating outside a suitable Resonant Condition (i.e. the Brim, their borrowed Oneiros, or anywhere whose symbolism is appropriate to his House), and subtracts two dice from Paradox rolls for appropriate spells in an Open Condition built on such Resonance (for which the Brim is universally applicable). Free Reach is determined as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post

These are some ideas that come to mind:

Sin-Eater/Moros (the Bargain is made during a near life/death experience while the Soul is at the Watchtower.)
                    Changeling/Arcanthus (Awakening but then having your soul being captured by a True Fae at the Watchtower)
                    Demon/Mastigos (What happens when a Mastigos makes a special type of deal with a Demon, maybe only at the watchtower)
                    Werewolf/Thyrsus (Luna choosing you as a werewolf while you stand at the watch tower)

Obrimos is a hard one to match but just because we haven't a better partner:

Vampire/Obrimos = Tremere from other thread?
                    Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 01-25-2017, 03:07 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                    "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post
                      Obrimos is a hard one to match but just because we haven't a better partner:
                      Well, no, Obrimos is as close to a natural fit for Demon as exists if you're matching Paths to other splats. Mastigos Awaken to the Kingdom of Nightmares — the Begotten pretty much explicitly map to that chunk of the metaphysics in terms of conceptual affinity.

Trying to figure out whether to have the host of a Guildsman take on characteristics similar to Sariras over time or otherwise mess with the area around the site of that particular Rip Van Winkle reenactment — it might be a little better-suited than sorting out how to balance an ability to basically create Synesi.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        Well, no, Obrimos is as close to a natural fit for Demon as exists if you're matching Paths to other splats. Mastigos Awaken to the Kingdom of Nightmares — the Begotten pretty much explicitly map to that chunk of the metaphysics in terms of conceptual affinity.
                        I like that. Perhaps the Awakening/Requiem template for Tremere be any Path, and those other half-templates being Path specific (because path specific fits).

Also is your thought that the Mage's soul corrupts an Angel into falling for the Obrimos/Demon combo?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                        "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Pale_Crusader, that's not quite what I meant by that. More that in true Admonitoria style it would be a Changeling that could have any Path rather than one Path linked to one splat.

For example: A Changeling of this particular hybrid nature would have their Seeming be this Hybrid Splat because they escape Arcadia by pledging their true name to one of the five Supernal Realms. That way you could have a Changeling/Acanthus and a Changeling/Moros that have fundamentally different Paths but the same Seeming in essence since they escaped Arcadia via the same method.

Comment

Wait a sec. Host body? Essence? The Resonant Condition?

Are these guys walking around in Dream Form or some other pseudo-ephemeral state? And they possess people?

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                              Wait a sec. Host body? Essence? The Resonant Condition?

Are these guys walking around in Dream Form or some other pseudo-ephemeral state? And they possess people?
                              It's more like Fettering, really. Current iteration is that they're basically doing a weird pseudogoetic variant of what changelings and archmages do, facilitated by a dreaming Sleepwalker whose Oneiros has been subverted into connecting to the Brim.

The Dream Form they navigate the Astral with acts as a living human body in other worlds as long as they have Essence in their system, but they suffer regular ephemeral upkeep costs without a dreaming host. Running out of Essence punts them down to a Psychic Projection with no ability to gain Willpower or spend Experiences and starts draining Mana until they run out and get yanked back to the Brim or reestablish themselves with a new host.

Mechanically it means they've got access to something like an improvised Wending but also have problems vaguely similar to ephemeral liches. I'm hoping it'll help satisfy the need for some degree of territoriality, but a lot of it is still in flux. Any ideas or other questions while I try to sort out how to run semicasual dreamwalking as applicable to Astral cosmology?

Comment

Working...
                              X