Uses of sympathetic threads?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uses of sympathetic threads?

So, basically as I understand it there are 2 uses of sympathetic threads. One is that you can use your connection to someone or something to cast on it outside of sensory. The other is that you can check other thing's sympathies for connections, like checking a defused bomb for a connection to anyone on your roster list of enemies. Is there anything I'm missing, or is it really that simple? If it is then there are spells I just don't understand the purpose of, like Duplicate Threads from SotT. Thanks for the help.

Normally you can only use your own connections to your intended target, Duplicate Sympathy allows to steal/hyjack the conection other person has to your target. So I may have no conection at all to your father (besides knowing that he exist), but you obviously had a strong connection to him, so I use the spell and get a connection wich I can use to mess with him. After I'm done I drop it and returns to you, so unless I've been so careless to leave my resonance all over the place, the spell is literally untraceable back to me.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Ok, that's cool, you need to know that the target's father exists, and who he is to be able to target him, right? It doesn't really address my whole question about them though.

It's only one example of the kinds of things I want to know about Sympathetic Threads after all. Are there only two applications for them? The first being to cast outside of sensory range, and the other to compare things that you know of and look for connections between them? Or is it possible to examine the threads of one target and follow them to connections that you don't know about?

To go back to the defused bomb example. Say you checked it's connections to your known list of enemies and came up empty. Could you check it for sympathetic threads to an unknown perpetrator who you have never heard of or met before?

Honestly, this might just be me, but I find the whole business to be kind of unclear. I mean, there's the chart of penalties to sympathetic casting, and a few spells for manipulating them, how you interact with them, or how they interact with other things, but there's not a whole lot to go on about what they are, or do, or how they're formed and decay naturally, what ways to utilize them best, etc. I'm not even sure I can articulate all of my questions about them, because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to go on in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
        To go back to the defused bomb example. Say you checked it's connections to your known list of enemies and came up empty. Could you check it for sympathetic threads to an unknown perpetrator who you have never heard of or met before?
        No. Any spell which affects a target who is not in your presence must be cast sympathetically. If you wanted to look for a sympathetic connection between the bomb and a possible perpetrator who is not near you, you need a sympathetic connection to the person.

Comment

Technically the bomb is a sympathetic connection, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
            Technically the bomb is a sympathetic connection, right?
            Yes, the bomb is a sympathetic connection to whomever built it.

I used to allow people to follow sympathetic threads to wherever it might lead them... But that's more of a storytelling tool.

Comment

Yep, sympathetic connecctions can be followed to the source, is a great tool for investigation and also the reason that a clever mage with access to such magic will be well served erasing her sympathetic connections when she doesn't need them (and reworking them on demand).

You may find a very strong sympathetic connection (related argument, it seems to me the dificulty-strength is backwards, stronger connections should be easier to find than weaker ones) but have no idea what it represents. You may cast more spells at it or scrutinize it (Mind's or Fate's Mage Sights will be good for this) or just follow it to the source.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Working...
              X