"Free Unlimited Reach" and other issues with Supernal Entities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonerstorm View Post
    So a supernal entity can cast spells with literally "infinite free reach"? Even without abusable spells like Shifting Sands this means that every Unraveling spell deals aggravated damage and EVERY spell can be freely cast as Instant + Advanced Scale + Duration + Potency + Sensory + Remote + Indefinite.
    Yes.

A little much? Or are they supposed to be "party-wide scene-long instant-cast debuffs at Arcana 2" OP?
    They're not really supposed to be things your "party" fights. They're entities with a direct connection to the Supernal that a mage seeks out for its knowledge and power. And yes, they are supposed to be terrifying, that's why you don't fuck with them lightly.

Also, what is a Supernal entity's ritual cast time? Do they not do that?
    Well, since they have infinite free Reach, they can always cast as an Instant action if they want to. I'm not really sure why one would ever not want to, but I suppose you could just use Rank or maybe Rank x2 as Gnosis for this purpose.

Can they use yantras? If not... can they not use sympathy yantras? Can they even use attainments? Mage Armor?
    I'm pretty sure no, to all of these.

Another fun one: what is their spell control limit? Do they have one? Can they just cast infinite spells at infinite reach forever?
    I don't think the book says, so I'd say keep it consistent with the ritual cast time houserule and treat their Gnosis as Rank or Rank x2 for this purpose.

I'm also curious about how manifestations come into play. I understand that, at a verge, Supernals can pop into the Fallen World but they're stuck in Twilight attuned to their Arcana and can't affect anything until summoned? Are they ONLY physically manifested in the Supernal realms (where non-archmagi get chicken-fried) or during the time between summoning + leaving/dying-in the Fallen World?
    Unless I am mistaken, they don't naturally have Manifestations in the Fallen World (possibly including Twilight Form?), but in the Supernal World, they don't require Manifestations. If that ever becomes relevant, I would assume they can replicate any of the Manifestation effects, without needing to actually have the Manifestation in question.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Why would a mage summon such a thing just to kill it? They aren't some opponent to you. You're summoning them for knowledge or help with something beyond your capabilities. If I were a mage I'd do some serious research into what I want to attempt to summon and not go in with the idea of trying to kill it (bad for Wisdom which makes summoning such entities harder) or getting into a fight. These guys are your ace in hole when you need something big or possibly even kindred spirits depending on your goal. Another thread discussed banning an Idgam? With straight Arcanum and maybe every Forsaken in the area? Why go about it the hard way? Fight fire with Earth or Water. These guys are practically God in their favored Arcanum so use them with you and your specialties if needed, and that Werewolf pack you're a part of. Yes, mages can be part of werewolf pack just like the wolfblooded in 2e.
      Last edited by Kumiko; 02-09-2017, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Given that spell control requires a reach per spell you go over, it's literally meaningless to Supernal entities. They can cast as many spells as they like.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
          Given that spell control requires a reach per spell you go over, it's literally meaningless to Supernal entities. They can cast as many spells as they like.
          Is there still a limit of the range of the spell, or can an Angel in Brazil sends holy light to manhattan without space?

Comment

It's hard to imagine that an entity at least partially constructed of Time or Space (Represented by having those Arcana in its repertoire) would be limited by a need for Sympathy in the conventional sense that Mages are.

Comment

Working...
            X