Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legion TV series shows how being Mad One can be great!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with MCN, rather than being Mad, I got the feeling this was a rather average mystery play awakening

Comment

Well, killing everyone in mental asylum by phasing them on the walls I would not count as 'average'. And Legion is clearly at least disturbed, literally fighting with his 'inner demons'. Nice idea on 'ghost goetia' of his friend from Asylum he killed with his powers. And he probably has Split Personality Condition or Amnesia Condition on him, maybe both.

Also, if Legion is Awakened, he clearly has Wisdom 0, as he has no control over his powers - that's why I pointed him as Mad One.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
      MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
      MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Comment

Ehh.... You don't need to be Wisdom 0 to have low to no control over your powers. That's literally what Paradox does. Even if we try to reassess this guy as a mage*, he could just be a low Wisdom mage that releases the dox instead of internalizing it.

The problem with calling him a Mad One is that he lacks a Fault. Lack of control over magic is not the defining feature of being Mad. Its the out of control obsession. Even the out of control magic serves a purpose - driving the mage towards fulfilling the Obsession. This is just out of control powers. Is David mentally disturbed? Not balanced psychologically? Absolutely. That is different from being one of the Mad. Mental disorders do not equate to the Madness as Awakening describes the phenomenon; that madness specifically relates to out of control Obsessions. Such characters, even if disturbed, qualify as some of the greatest experts in their fields of obsession; there's no such field of specialty for David.

I'm sorry, but Legion just lacks the qualities of the Mad.

* The more I learn about the show, the less I'm convinced that calling him a mage is appropriate. Gnosis literally means knowledge, and Arcana literally means secrets. Mage magic literally involves applying knowledge to change the world. There's no themes of knowlege here in relationship to David's powers. As well, becoming mentally unstable from exposure to the supernatural that you don't understand is literally embodied by how mortal Integrity works, and David's abilities are all example psychic powers; there's even a clause for losing control if you run out of willpower.
        Last edited by MCN; 02-15-2017, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
          I'm sorry, but Legion just lacks the qualities of the Mad.
          And neither is his situation anything great.

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Well I'd suspect that he's a Mastigos with the voices, demons and teleporting people into walls. So, while a dangerous awakening, I wouldn't see it as being completely out of line with one.

Comment

With second episode we have Oneiros travel and Psychic Projection cast on Sympathy. I know that in series universe David is 'mutant', but his power-level and experiance he got is all about Mastigos Awakening mixed with mental ilness.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                With second episode we have Oneiros travel and Psychic Projection cast on Sympathy. I know that in series universe David is 'mutant', but his power-level and experiance he got is all about Mastigos Awakening mixed with mental ilness.
                And powerful even for mage standards, if he is indeed a fledgeling mage. Or just having an explosive growth rate. Or he still hasn't completed his Awakening, and he's having a power trip during his Mystery Play.

Under the assumption of David's mage-hood, I'm still waiting for the inevitable huge-ass Paradox Anomaly to wreck everyone's day.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                  Under the assumption of David's mage-hood, I'm still waiting for the inevitable huge-ass Paradox Anomaly to wreck everyone's day.
                  The Yellow-eyed demon seems to be terrifying Manifestation waiting to happen.

While I like the show as inspiration for the look of magic and for possible plot ideas, I just can't imagine these mutants as Mages. They don't exhibit the multiplicity of powers that even a starting Mage would have. Anyone could instantly have more abilities than David has already shown. That's the horror of Mage to me.

Comment

Legion is capable of ALL the mutant powers. When people die near him, he absorbs their personality. His body manifests a new power appropriate to that person's psyche.

​He eventually gains the ability to access all the powers of his splinter-selfs at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by WaywardPaladin View Post
                      Legion is capable of ALL the mutant powers. When people die near him, he absorbs their personality. His body manifests a new power appropriate to that person's psyche.

​He eventually gains the ability to access all the powers of his splinter-selfs at the same time.
                      And then erased himself from existence i'm not sure that it's going to end like that.
                      Last edited by Epimetheus; 02-19-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WaywardPaladin View Post

While this is true in the comics, we aren't really sure how closely they are sticking with the source material for the show. So for now it can only be used as inspiration for what it has given.

Also, does he always absorb their personalities in the comics? I thought that only happened when he killed the assassins who killed his step-father. As far as I can remember this lead to his DID state.

Comment

After watching Episode 3, I start to think David in Mage would be from Fangs of Mara Legacy - he has some really creepy Abyssal inhabitants in his Oneiros...

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            After watching Episode 3, I start to think David in Mage would be from Fangs of Mara Legacy - he has some really creepy Abyssal inhabitants in his Oneiros...
                            Pay no attention to Wimp Lo, we purposely trained him wrong... as a joke.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Working...
                            X