Gravity supremacy rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity supremacy rules

Hi guys. Can you help me with this spell? Yesterday, during a tough fight, one of my pc used it. But I felt was a little OP: their enemy couldn't t just do nothing. Luckily, the fight was inside a room and the enemy could reach the ceiling and use it to jump in fight again. Anyway, I m gonna explain better.. First of all, a clarification : how much distance the gravity can be changed?
    As the range chosen?

Going on: the spell has no withstand, no clash of wills. So, how do you manage to escape it? I mean, you can cast on a opponent and for the rest of duration he can t move unless he can use some surfaces to grab and jump over.. How do you manage this?
    Regards

Mages are extremely good at cheesing things, it's just how their magic is. So yeah, if the person the mage was facing had no way of countering having gravity flipped on them then they're just out of luck. They could attempt to grab onto something, climb their way to the mage, or try to jump at them if applicable but that's just one of the difficulties of fighting a mage.

The only advice I can really offer here is to always keep your players capabilities in mind when trying to design threatening enemies and to remember that the caster (unless using something that makes it so they are) isn't immune to their own effects. So if he reverses gravity in an entire room and he's also in said room, he reverses gravity for himself too.

Comment

Basic lesson of fighting a Mage on his terms -- Don't.

Mages can screw over most opponents with a single spell. That's intentional. Mage (the game) isn't about "can you win this fight?", it's about "what are you willing to do to win this fight?".

Comment

Scale Factor determines how far gravity shifts extend. As for the combat problems it introduces, that's the whole point. Enemies who tangle with Mages have to be able to contend with the reality warping problems Mages can introduce them to. STs have to wrap their heads around that too.

What were they fighting?

Comment

Another problem with those facing mages is the variety of abilities and lack of consistency among mages.

It's very hard to train to fight mages, and an effective strategy in one battle is totally useless against the next mage.

In one battle a mage may employ mind control and teleportation, another shapechanges, yet another alters probability, and then the next opponent nullifies gravity or shoots lightening. Trying to simultaneously combat a diverse and experienced cabal is often little more than suicide by wizard.

Comment

One thing you can do is exploit any lack of information. In Mage this isn't really unfair since Mages have the ability to find out nearly anything and a failure to do so is a flaw on the character's fault. If the Mages do their due diligence and find out everything they can about their opponent and prepare for it then they should trounce them. If they just jump into an unfamiliar situation without checking things out then you should feel free to add things that complicate the situation for them. As an ST this can require boning up on your ability to improvise. Remember, if it hasn't happened in front of the PCs then it isn't a fact and can change as you need it to in order to create a good story. Try not to be a dick about it though.

Comment

Well.. They were fighting a werewolf.. Long story.. But maybe I missred the spell.. Can be cast on target only? Or it 's a aoe? ( in this case was the entire room,and was an error from my judgment).
              Anyway, thanks for answers. There are a lot of materials about thinking. I have only a bit of knowledge about werewolf, and we v just started recently playing mage. We played a lot of time vampire the masquerade, and, if the vampires were strong, I Donno how to paragon them to mages... Mages are simply OP.. Most of spells can blow up an entire strategy.. Space and time for example are gorgeous.. Force is amazing to create powerful spells ( controlling fire someone said) with amazing effects.. Disciplines can t just be compared to spell.. I must admit.. I m falling in love on this second edition of awakening

BTW: one of the players reached 8 dice of paradox but was lucky.. Always absorbed with force of will.. But he used almost all mana
              Last edited by Dante90; 02-14-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Gravity is exerted by large masses, you'd have to cast it over an area (Calculated by Scale) for it to have an effect, that's why there's no Withstand, sounds like it was a mistake on your part. No big, we all make them.

Comment

Oh... Well.. My bad.. But no great deal anyway. Good to know for the future of course. Thank you again guys. You really helped me

Comment

It can be cast on an area around a target, but still. It's should be Withstood in this case. If for some reason you don't agree with this you can cast Shielding spell to ward your target from gravity and then just give him a little push to the atmosphere. Release the spell after half an hour.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post
                      It can be cast on an area around a target, but still. It's should be Withstood in this case. If for some reason you don't agree with this you can cast Shielding spell to ward your target from gravity and then just give him a little push to the atmosphere. Release the spell after half an hour.
                      Withstand only comes into play when a spell is directly effecting a target. That's a deliberate design choice to push players to spells that don't just do direct damage. So no, casting Gravity Supremacy on an area doesn't deal with Withstand. The Shield against gravity would though.

Comment

I mean the case when you make a target a center point of an effect in this way that when it moves, the effect moves with it. I think it should be Withstood but I'm not arguing, it's a table thing I guess.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

well, i have no problem adding a home rule like this, but i don t wanna go too far from the RAW..i just have the feel that they can resolve any task with this: let s gravity up while we flee, or retreat, or (worst) we killed him..i just don t wanna see an "i win strategy", and maybe adding some counterplay could be nice.
                          i forgot to write, but in case wasn t clear, we r playing at the second edition

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Withstand only comes into play when a spell is directly effecting a target. That's a deliberate design choice to push players to spells that don't just do direct damage. So no, casting Gravity Supremacy on an area doesn't deal with Withstand. The Shield against gravity would though.

I get what you are saying, but I find this specific case funny because Direct Damage spells don't involve Withstand, ever. And yeah, Mage is designed towards cheesing your opponents in a first move hoping they won't find an answer to your cheese that can both nullify your cheese while also cheesing you. In general, person with better Initiative and more guts to not pull their punches wins.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
                              I get what you are saying, but I find this specific case funny because Direct Damage spells don't involve Withstand, ever. And yeah, Mage is designed towards cheesing your opponents in a first move hoping they won't find an answer to your cheese that can both nullify your cheese while also cheesing you. In general, person with better Initiative and more guts to not pull their punches wins.
                              Stamina is counted as the Withstand in direct damage spells.

Comment

Working...
                              X