No announcement yet.

Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Thrice-Great you made! I only would make 'performing a Hermetic ceremony taken during a planetary conjunction' as +3 Yantra than Oblatation - conjunctions are rare and occult powerful, so work better as superYantra.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• Agreed with Wyrd, I think - though it could work as both. The idea of performing a ritual when the stars align, or during a naturally occuring celestial event, could grant anywhere between a 1-5 bonus depending on the rarity of the event in question and how it ties with a specific ritual.

Edit: Could see something like the Thrice Great being able to get an enviromental bonus of +1 for a very common celestial occurance, a +2 for something that only happens every few years, +3 for something that happens in the span of decades, +4 for something that happens in the span of centuries, and a +5 if the celestial event in question occurs once every Millenium or more?
      Last edited by Jakondite; 06-02-2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Love the Thrice-Great conversion! Its perfect!

Comment

• Thanks, everyone. I did some edits on Yantras and Oblation, following the spirit of wyrdhamster and Jakondite's advices. And translated two Merits from 1E as well.

MtAw Homebrew:
          New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

• Finals are over, but my studies are not. Fortunately, I happen to have a few self-rewarded days of reprieve. Hence, the Eyes of Ain Soph are here.

The Camera Obscura spell they have for the 4th Attainment is found on this page, on the Google Drive link below.

Eyes of Ain Soph

Origins

Parentage: Obrimos, Mysterium, Seers of the Throne
            Background: The Seekers do not take their magic as given, approaching it as a Mystery on its own to be studied. Instead of being content with what magic does, the Eyes of Ain Soph are determined to figure out how and why magic works. To this end they take motifs from the Kabbalah and concepts such as the Tree of Life, and spend many nights compiling new theories from investigated magical phenomena. While some may think of them as armchair academics, Seekers are eager to test their theories on the field and aren't afraid of getting dirtied in the process.
            Appearances: Most Seekers stand somewhere between the detached, romantic dreamers and the meticulous, dedicated scholars in attitude. On another axis, some of the Eyes are the outspoken enthusiasts who'd love to tell you all about their work, while some are the reserved introverts who'd love it if others would just leave her be in ther research. Either way, Seekers care more for utility than fashion, especially protection given what their research often entail.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Prime 2, Investigation 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Academics, Science, Occult, Computer, Craft
            Initiation: Aspirants who wish to enroll in the Legacy must pass a simple yet daunting task; submit and publish an academic article on supernatural phenomena on the secret journals maintained by the Legacy. Unless already familiar with this process, many applicants are left perplexed and are on their own to construct both the research and the article from the bottom. Those who are being recruited by a senior member gain the basic know-how, but must ultimately handle the task themselves. This very act, the process of researching a topic, formulating a theory and testing it is the key to shaping the soul, with the final admission only a finishing touch.
            Organization: The Eyes maintain close but somewhat impersonal contact with each other, for most of their interactions are of intellectual topics. The Legacy has an academic culture, and with a large enough presence host conferences to share their research and critique. These meetings and seminars provide Seekers with the opportunity to meet thsoe of mutual interest and organize joint projects. Occasionally, Seekers will collude to stockpile, study, and use numbers of magical items and relics they've acquired.
            Theory: Magic is no mere tool to satisfy one's desires. Magic is light, emanated down from the Infinite Light of raw divinity unmanifested in its totality. By analyzing the structure of magic in the Supernal and experimenting with its limits in the Fallen, we can climb back up the Tree of Life and attain true enlightenment.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Prime
            Yantras: A library, laboratory, or some other place of research (+1); verbally explaining the theories behind the spell (+2); a notebook or journal containing one's research notes (+2); physical representation of the imago of the spell (+1 to +3, with the same rule for sacrament Yantras)
            Oblations: Studying an Artifact of imbued item; finding or examining an ancient relic; proving or disproving a magical theory by testing in physically and personally; engaging in peer review on theories of magic

Attainments

First: Seeker's Hand
            Prerequisites: Initiation
            The Eyes of Ain Soph, while focusing on the theoretical and the abstract, are no strangers to experimenting concrete phenomena, expecially when it comes to physical objects. The Seeker replicates the "Word of Command" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use. As usual, she may add conjuctional Arcana to expand the effect beyond Artifacts and Imbued items.
            Optional: Spirit 1
            All objects have a corresponding spirit, be they slumbering ones or the barely sapient Rank 0 motes. This is true for magical objects that the Eyes of Ain Soph deal with, and a Seeker may duplicate the "Coaxing the Spirits" spell to compel them into action. Reach is assigned to instant use. When using this effect on an object the Seeker has used the Attainment's main effect on, he may bypass its Withstand ratings.

Second: Seeker's Eye
            Prerequisites: Prime 2, Investigation 3
            The Seeker learns to open her third eye at all times so that she may feel closer to the Infinite Light. She emulates the "Supernal Vision" spell on herself, with Reach assigned to instant use and expanding the effects to non-Supernal phenomena. If something cloaks the nature of what she studies, the Seeker scores automatic successes equal to her Prime dots on the resulting Clash of Wills.
            Optional: Spirit 2
            Many supernatural phenomena reported turn out to be spiritual meddling from the Shadow, so the Seeker learns to peek across the Gauntlet to confirm or eliminate them beforehand. The Seeker replicates the "Exorcist's Eye" spell on himself, with Reach assigned to instant use and perceiving across the Gauntlet.

Third: Seeker's Aegis
            Prerequisites: Prime 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
            The Eyes of Ain Soph are satisfied only by plunging deep into the Fallen World to test their precious theories, to the point that some other mages think they're suicidal. This Attainment augments the Seeker's Prime Mage Armor so that she is also protected from partly supernatural attacks, such as a werewolf's predatory fangs or a vampire's unholy feats of strength.
            Also, the Seeker no longer spends Mana on changing into or out of Prime Armor into other Mage Armors in the same scene.
            Optional: Spirit 3
            Spirits are the one of the most common sources of supernatural mayhem in the Fallen World, so the Seeker learns to protect himself against from them as a practical measure. The Seeker's Spirit Mage Armor is augmented so that he gains half his Spirit dots as general armor, in addition to the damage downgrade.
            Also, the Seeker no longer spends Mana on changing into or out of Spirit Armor into other Mage Armors in the same scene.

Fourth: Seeker's Reach
            Prerequisites: Prime 4, Investigation 4
            There's a realistic limit to how far the Seekers can risk danger to pursue her theories, so they prefer to use remote viewing if possible for the truly dangerous researches. With a point of Mana the Seeker replicates the "Camera Obscura" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. However, the Seeker's base dice pool for Revelation or Scrutiny is capped by her Prime dots instead the Attainment's Potency.
            Optional: Spirit 4
            Assistants, proxies and servants are always welcomed by the intrepid Seekers who wish to reach into dangerous places. This effect emulates the "Spirit Summons" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and giving it a simple command. The Seeker is left on his own to negotiate with the summoned spirit for further services if needed. As usual, this effect does not work on spirits above Rank 5. When specifically summoning the spirit of a magical object in his possession, the Seeker ignores its Withstand ratings.

Fifth: Seeker's Mastery
            Prerequisites: Prime 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
            The most well-studied Seekers have a profound understanding of the occult matrices that form when a spell is translated from imago to reality. This imparts on them the knowledge to dismantle them if needed, which in effect duplicates the "Supernal Dispellation" spell. Reach is assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. As usual, the Seeker may add Fate to suppress spells selectively, and she cannot suppress archmages' spells. If the Seeker is aware of the theory behind her subject spell, such as having seen its imago form through methods like "Display of Power" or knowing which Rote it comes from, she ignores the spell's Withstand ratings.
            Optional: Spirit 5
            Masters are served by acolytes, and even the Eyes of Ain Soph who care little for power for power's own sake find utility in ephemeral company. This effect emulates the "Bind Spirit" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. When binding a spirit of a magical object to the same magical object, the Seeker ignores its Withstand ratings.
            Last edited by 21C Hermit; 06-22-2017, 08:51 AM.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• The next Legacy in the roster is Cloud Infinite. I hear they're a Reaper Legacy, but I look at their 1e writeup and see that they use Mind to exploit souls and Prime to steal them. Which goes against the 2e rule of souls being governed solely by Death. Ugh. Any one got ideas how to solve this conundrum?

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• I like them, may use this write-up for my Civitas of London. I still has one small critique:

The Seeker's Spirit Mage Armor is augmented so that he gains half his Life dots as general armor, in addition to the damage downgrade.

Should not this Optional Attainment use Prime dots instead of Life? Seekers are mostly Obrimos, they have small chance having Life in the first place.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                  The next Legacy in the roster is Cloud Infinite. I hear they're a Reaper Legacy, but I look at their 1e writeup and see that they use Mind to exploit souls and Prime to steal them. Which goes against the 2e rule of souls being governed solely by Death. Ugh. Any one got ideas how to solve this conundrum?
                  Make Could Infinite Mind + Death Legacy, simple. If all others Reapers are Death based, they should be too - even if I would much better that many ways for Soul Stealing be possible in 2E mechanics.

LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• Many Left-Handed Legacies denounced as “Reapers” by the
                    Orders consume or manipulate souls to fuel strange powers.
                    Strange Attainments
                    A few Legacies teach Attainments that fall outside
                    the usual structure of magic. They might impose
                    advantageous Conditions or confer the ability
                    to use an unusual power. While your mage must
                    reach the usual minimum in her Legacy’s Ruling
                    Arcanum, any other systems must be developed
                    by the Storyteller and player. The exact rules are
                    up to you, but should provide a benefit on par
                    with those of standard Legacy Attainments.
                    All the justification you need. Reapers are the cool kids who break the rules and do donuts in the parking lot. Just straight up cheat and give them the ability to steal souls and harvest them using Prime/Mind at the same level as the equivalent Death spells. Cloud Infinite is #disruptive anyway.

2E Legacy Updates
                    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                    Storm Keepers

Comment

• Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      I like them, may use this write-up for my Civitas of London. I still has one small critique:

The Seeker's Spirit Mage Armor is augmented so that he gains half his Life dots as general armor, in addition to the damage downgrade.

Should not this Optional Attainment use Prime dots instead of Life? Seekers are mostly Obrimos, they have small chance having Life in the first place.

Oops. Typo. That should be dots in Spirit, not Life. Will fix that.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Make Could Infinite Mind + Death Legacy, simple. If all others Reapers are Death based, they should be too - even if I would much better that many ways for Soul Stealing be possible in 2E mechanics.
                        Originally posted by Caladriu View Post

All the justification you need. Reapers are the cool kids who break the rules and do donuts in the parking lot. Just straight up cheat and give them the ability to steal souls and harvest them using Prime/Mind at the same level as the equivalent Death spells. Cloud Infinite is #disruptive anyway.
                        Hmm...... I'll be pondering a bit more about this. Thanks, still!

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Utilizing Mind for a Reaper Legacy is not that hard. What I would do - and this is just me personally - is I would either do as was suggested and utilize both Death and Mind - Death to effect Souls, and Mind to get something out of that souls - or, I would take a look at some of the writeups done regarding the nature of the five aspects of the soul and how they pertain to the Subtle Arcana. There is a good example here.

If you use that, you can have a reaper legacy dedicated to taking the aspect of the soul relevant to the mind - which most people relate to the identity or personality. Of course, I am not a hundred percent sure what Cloud Infinite is about so I can't really say which is a better option to go about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakondite View Post
                            If you use that, you can have a reaper legacy dedicated to taking the aspect of the soul relevant to the mind - which most people relate to the identity or personality. Of course, I am not a hundred percent sure what Cloud Infinite is about so I can't really say which is a better option to go about.
                            They use other people to do their thinking for them to start out and then they start yanking souls and plugging them into ley lines to boost their mental powers.

Comment

• I'd have to say that Cloud Infinite need to be rewritten, as Mind/Death legacy. The Prime thing made absolutely no sense in 1e. Their first Attainment has them using Prime to record data on a physical medium, from writing to hard drives. What does Prime have to do with this? Why is this not Matter or Forces? Their second Attainment is incoherent arble garble and talks about "soul stone that takes the form of an information storage device", whatever this is. But overall it looks to me like a fancy Soul Jar, so that's Death or Spirit. Their third Attainment is remote access to soul stones via lei lines, which is Space. Lei lines or no, remote access is not a Prime effect.

The hardest Attainment to replicate would be the main part of the first Attainment, because it's an absolute mess. It's Multi-Tasking, but also with telepathy effect, Vice denial effect and scene-long. Add the fact that it'd have to beat a Withstand and you have an Attainment that is not equipped to survive the edition transition.

A hip new look for Cloud Infinite could be building server farms out of ghosts. They use Death and Mind to gather ghosts and exploit their mental faculties, and use stolen souls to augment processing power of a soul-holder. This could result ina CI walking with a bunch of soul stones to be smarter, or offloading soul stones in his data center to make the bound ghosts smarter and use them.
                              Last edited by Kammerer; 06-23-2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                                Objection!

Systems
                                Stealing and manipulating souls is largely a function of the Death Arcanum, but many Reapers develop Legacies based around using those souls with a different subtle Arcanum. Reapers do not have any special mechanics beyond that — their Left-Handed nature comes from their use of a power available to many mages.
                                You want to steal souls - you have to have Death. Of course there could be a Reaper Legacy that doesn't include Death in its attainments and leaves soul harvesting as a free exercise to its members. Some would learn Death and steal souls. Some would break into sanctums and search for soul stones. Some would kidnap mages and torture them until the mage agrees to make a bunch of soul stones.

Comment

Working...
                                X