Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Beautifully done on the Blank Badges, and yeah in 1e they were total rebels. I'm just wondering about the Incognito Presence and if it couldn't be switched out with a Veiling effect more similar to what they had in 1e that let them fake social standing in mortal power structures. Basically it let them treat Occultation as Status in any non-Supernatural organization.
    Ooh, that certainly sounds nice. Maybe I'll make that a Creative Thaumaturgy new spell like the others. More on this later.

The only thing I'd actually nitpick at is the fifth attainment, it seems highly circumstantial. I wonder if it can't be changed up. In 1e they were actually able to tell Sleeper witnesses they were about to give an explanation of any piece of magic (Fictional or non) and then when they did said magic the Sleepers wouldn't count against them as witnesses of it. They could also reduce the effects of released Paradox. Maybe ideas can be pulled from that?
    I was focusing on the "share Paradox" thing they have in the 2e short intro. Hmm... maybe I'll work that 1e effect you described into an augmented function of the Swarm of Locusts spell, and make that the Fate-added option for the fifth Attainment.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I know that you said you don't have the 1e book so here is their third attainment, a mind effect that was similar to the prime 3 Stealing Fire might be usable.

Third Attainment: Nothing Is True, Anything Is Permitted
      Prerequisites: Gnosis 7, Occultation 3, Persuasion 1
      Some younger Badges call this Attainment “mind-freaking.” It’s the dangerous and difficult practice of at least partially Awakening Sleepers, convincing them something fantastic is not only possible, but real, and giving them a moment of clarity free from the Sleeping Curse. It breaks expectations and can (rarely) even lead to true Awakenings, but most often the effects are temporary.
      A Bank Badge at this level of Attainment can take an instant action before casting a vulgar spell to make a Manipulation + Persuasion + Occultation roll. The player must roleplay some suitable explanation to any Sleeper onlookers, ranging from telling them it’s a magic show to actually giving them the truth: that they are witnessing a real act of magic. Each success subtracts one die from the mage’s Paradox dice pool. An exceptional success allows the mage to treat all onlookers as Sleepwalkers: a single act of vulgar magic performed in their presence does not provoke the Sleeping Curse or invoke a Paradox.
      In addition, an exceptional success with this Attainment may cause a Sleeper who experiences an act of true magic to become a Sleepwalker permanently or even lead to a spontaneous Awakening as a mage. This cannot be predicted, however, and is entirely at the Storyteller’s discretion, as best suits the story. It’s also quite rare, so Storytellers should be sparing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
        I know that you said you don't have the 1e book so here is their third attainment, a mind effect that was similar to the prime 3 Stealing Fire might be usable.

Third Attainment: Nothing Is True, Anything Is Permitted
        Prerequisites: Gnosis 7, Occultation 3, Persuasion 1
        Some younger Badges call this Attainment “mind-freaking.” It’s the dangerous and difficult practice of at least partially Awakening Sleepers, convincing them something fantastic is not only possible, but real, and giving them a moment of clarity free from the Sleeping Curse. It breaks expectations and can (rarely) even lead to true Awakenings, but most often the effects are temporary.
        A Bank Badge at this level of Attainment can take an instant action before casting a vulgar spell to make a Manipulation + Persuasion + Occultation roll. The player must roleplay some suitable explanation to any Sleeper onlookers, ranging from telling them it’s a magic show to actually giving them the truth: that they are witnessing a real act of magic. Each success subtracts one die from the mage’s Paradox dice pool. An exceptional success allows the mage to treat all onlookers as Sleepwalkers: a single act of vulgar magic performed in their presence does not provoke the Sleeping Curse or invoke a Paradox.
        In addition, an exceptional success with this Attainment may cause a Sleeper who experiences an act of true magic to become a Sleepwalker permanently or even lead to a spontaneous Awakening as a mage. This cannot be predicted, however, and is entirely at the Storyteller’s discretion, as best suits the story. It’s also quite rare, so Storytellers should be sparing with it.
        Oops, I already settled on using a modified form of the Swarm of Locusts spell to mimic the effect before this. Still, thanks for sharing.

(Hmm... maybe I should've used Prime as the Blanks' Arcanum as I first suspected. Oh well.)

And now that I've done the Uncrowned Kings, the Timori are next.

Comment

Uncrowned Kings

Origins

Parentage: Moros, Adamantine Arrow, Free Council
          Background: As many Legacies influenced or having influenced Hermeticism, the Uncrowned Kings have developed in parallel with the tradition. The Legacy in particular focuses on the tradition's introspective and self-disciplinary philosophies, making it somewhat distant from the branch of Hermetics who focused on magic and science. Nevertheless, mystic societies such as the Rosicrucians have always gathered around the Legacy, and the rise of psychology as a discipline have been steadily strengthening the Uncrowned Kings.
          Appearances: Coal-Burners are confident in the royalty of their soul, separate from lineage nor wealth nor temporal power. This is reflected on them preferring plain and simple clothing, with only a few valuables adorning them. Some wear the finest garments and accessories, not in vain nor for beauty, but as a natural consequence of their presence and bearing.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Mind 2, Crafts 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Academics, Science, Occult, Empathy, Athletics
          Initiation: The prospective Coal-Burner must submit a work of her own craftsmanship to the elder members. Then she must explain in detail the emotions she felt during its making, and what she felt after its completion. The initiation is sealed when the elders conclude that the prospective mage has genuinely let go of her past imperfections through this work, and is ready to continue to do so.
          Organization: As Hermetic disciples, the Uncrowned Kings maintain a strong and formal master-apprentice relationship between their members. Gatherings are just as ceremonial and rigid in tradition. Despite the seemingly suffocating formality and rituals, however, Coal-Burners are surprisingly independent in their daily lives and mystic pursuits, and outside official gatherings many masters and apprentices maintain close friendship as fellow students of the Art.
          Theory: Just as ore can be heated, cooled, chipped and infused by a master, so too the soul can be refined to perfection. Pain cools the soul while pleasure heats it; vice can be cut away and virtue can fill its place. By distilling the soul, one can become a king without need for crowns, for his kingdom is his very being itself.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Mind
          Yantras: Using crafting tools relevant to the spell (+1); incorporating alchemical reagents as a sacrament (+2); spellcasting to aid manual labor (+2); contemplating in one's own imperfection (+1, +2 if the reflection leads to depressive thoughts)
          Oblations: Engaging in physical labor as a hobby; studying alchemical theories; immersing in a profession beyond the workplace; leading others in a coordinated physical project

Attainments

First: Nigredo
          Prerequisites: Initiation
          One cannot perfect something without seeking to degrade it first by spying its frailties. For this reason, the Coal-Burner practices a variant of the "Perfect Recall" spell on herself with this Attainment, with Reach assigned to instant use. The Attainment recalls only the mage's past Acts of Hubris in her Awakened life, breaking points in her Sleeper life, and indulgences of Vice in all stages of her life.
          Optional: Matter 1
          The mage turns the putrefaction of his soul outwards, learning the weak points of objects he observes as per the "Discern Composition" spell. This altered effect replaces the spell's original effect, and thus does not cost Reach. Normal Reach is assigned to instant use.

Second: Cauda Pavonis
          Prerequisites: Mind 2, Crafts 3
          After the black decomposition of the soul comes a brief moment of rejuvenation and the return of colors. This Attainment uses that momentary vibrance to protect rest of the Coal-Burner's mind, replicating the "Mental Shield" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. The mage scores automatic successes equal to her Mind dots in the resulting Clash of Wills.
          Optional: Matter 2
          Spiritual protection expands to material protection, allowing the Coal-Burner to replicate the "Alchemist's Touch" spell with this Attainment. Reach is assigned to instant use.

Third: Albedo
          Prerequisites: Mind 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
          After brief reprieve the Coal-Burner absolves her soul, transmuting it into pure whiteness. She reaches inwards and pulls out her Vice, mimicking the "Goetic Summons" spell with Reach assigned so that she may directly access her Oneiros. For this purpose, the mage may dedicate herself in manual labor to substitute the need for meditating in a suitable location. After the Vice-Goetia is drawn forth using physical labor, the Coal-Burner may choose to seal the Goetia within the tangible results of her previous labor. This puts the Goetia in dormancy and confers no additional benefits on its own, other than the fact the Coal-Burner is now freed of her Vice. Sealing the Goetia this way also grants Advanced Duration to the Attainment without additional cost. Should the sealing object be destroyed, the Attainment expires immediately and the Goetia is let loose in the physical world.
          Optional: Matter 3
          The Coal-Burner's inner purity allows him to purify the baseness of mortal tools, duplicating the "Crucible" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. This Attainment cannot affect valuables, as the Uncrowned Kings have little concern for material wealth.

Fourth: Citrinitas
          Prerequisites: Mind 4, Crafts 4
          Now the soul has no need for the pale lunar light, for it has started to gleam in golden solar light. This Attainment exalts the Coal-Burner and duplicates the "Augment Mind" spell on her person, with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration and allowing for multiple Attributes. To activate this Attainment, the Coal-Burner must focus her mind and enter a trance state akin to meditation while performing her chosen skill.
          Optional: Matter 4
          The mage steps closer to dominion of the material world with his emerging soul-crown. This Attainment mimicks the "Shaping" spell with Reach assigned to instant use, Advanced Duration, and affecting solid matter. The Coal-Burner bypasses the Withstand rating of objects he has personally crafted. When dice rolls are called for, the mage scores automatic successes equal to his Matter dots.

Fifth: Rubedo
          Prerequisites: Mind 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
          The soul is now enlightened and exalted, and one step away from the Magnum Opus that is Ascension. As proof of mastery over the self, the Coal-Burner replicates the "Psychic Reprogramming" spell on her person with this Attainment. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration and allowing Attributes to be affected. The mage must enter a trance through labor as the fourth Attainment in order to achieve the proper mental concentration.
          Optional: Matter 5
          With this Attainment, the Coal-Burner trivially achieves what some Sleepers mistake to be the purpose of alchemy; the transmutation of base matter. He replicates the "Transubstantiation" spell with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration, and transmuting between multiple substances and a single substance. However, the mage is limited to transmuting base matter into noble matter. Typically, gemstones and rare metals definitely count as noble matter, but the ultimate ruling is left to the Storyteller.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Oops, I already settled on using a modified form of the Swarm of Locusts spell to mimic the effect before this. Still, thanks for sharing.

(Hmm... maybe I should've used Prime as the Blanks' Arcanum as I first suspected. Oh well.)

And now that I've done the Uncrowned Kings, the Timori are next.
            Nah, they're Mind primary. They're harder to convert than some legacies though because their "optional" Arcana was dots in Occultation. Very cool legacy, but the mechanics got a little strange.

Comment

I happen to have a homebrew conversion for the Tamers of Fire here. Of course, the Attainments have extra Reach courtesy of a House Rule.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Nah, they're Mind primary. They're harder to convert than some legacies though because their "optional" Arcana was dots in Occultation. Very cool legacy, but the mechanics got a little strange.

From the book they didn't have a prime it all dealt with the Occultation and only the first Attainment had Mind as a Optional.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                  Background: As many Legacies influenced or having influenced Hermeticism, the Uncrowned Kings have developed in parallel with the tradition. The Legacy in particular focuses on the tradition's introspective and self-disciplinary philosophies, making it somewhat distant from the branch of Hermetics who focused on magic and science. Nevertheless, mystic societies such as the Rosicrucians have always gathered around the Legacy, and the rise of psychology as a discipline have been steadily strengthening the Uncrowned Kings.
                  (...)
                  Organization: As Hermetic disciples, the Uncrowned Kings maintain a strong and formal master-apprentice relationship between their members. Gatherings are just as ceremonial and rigid in tradition. Despite the seemingly suffocating formality and rituals, however, Coal-Burners are surprisingly independent in their daily lives and mystic pursuits, and outside official gatherings many masters and apprentices maintain close friendship as fellow students of the Art.
                  Those two paragraphs don't mesh with Adamantine Arrow doctrine in my mind - there is no Existance is War in here, no Englithment is Honor, no Adaptability is Strengh, and quetionable Service is Mastery, Only truly working with Arrow philosophy is The Supernal Is the Self dogma of Arrows. To contrast other Moros, Arrows and Free Council group I point that Forge Masters easily fill the Service is Mastery, Adaptability is Strengh and Existance is War, with questionable The Supernal Is the Self.

Now, if you look over Uncrowned Kings in light of Elemental Percepts of Silver Ladder, they work much better. Diamond: The Awakened are one nation – it’s neutral to views of Legacy. Thunder: Imperium is the right of humanity – Magic is perfection, that strives for physical perfection that other should be see your dedication. As Below, so Above. Pure Hermeticism here. Star: The Silver Ladder is the path to victory – it’s neutral to views of Legacy. Blood: The Sleepers follow - You show your perfection and dedication and others will follow by your example. By basing their magic on Alchemy and Rosicrucianism Sleepers cults, they show them in Cryptopoly to strive for perfection. Adding Ladder of Existence dogma – where one member can rose higher and higher on in it by their life with focusing on Alchemy, I really cannot see Uncrowned Kings as historically Arrow Legacy. Also, Hermeticism and ceremonies are generally connected to Silver Ladder traditions, like Thrice-Great Legacy. Not too mention as whole ‘royalty without crown’ is much more Silver Ladder shtick than Arrows.
                  Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-20-2017, 08:33 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                  LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Those two paragraphs don't mesh with Adamantine Arrow doctrine in my mind - there is no Existance is War in here, no Englithment is Honor, no Adaptability is Strengh, and quetionable Service is Mastery, Only truly working with Arrow philosophy is The Supernal Is the Self dogma of Arrows. To contrast other Moros, Arrows and Free Council group I point that Forge Masters easily fill the Service is Mastery, Adaptability is Strengh and Existance is War, with questionable The Supernal Is the Self.
                    I was basing it on the general mood of the Orders, and thought philosophical warriors fit them more than elitist educators.

Still, on the precepts my line of reasoning was:
                    • Existence is War: Perfection of the soul is a never-ending process that requires you to battle your own dark side.
                    • Enlightenment is Honor: Your royalty, prestige, and honor lies in your spiritual enlightenment. You need no crown to prove that.
                    • Adaptability is Strength: The soul must be put in the fires and made malleable so that it can be perfected. Fixations on your current being obstruct the Magnum Opus.
                    • Service is Mastery: Questionable, as you mentioned.
                    • The Supernal is the Self: Self-explanatory, as you and I agree.
                    Now, if you look over Uncrowned Kings in light of Elemental Percepts of Silver Ladder, they work much better. Diamond: The Awakened are one nation – it’s neutral to views of Legacy. Thunder: Imperium is the right of humanity – Magic is perfection, that strives for physical perfection that other should be see your dedication. As Below, so Above. Pure Hermeticism here. Star: The Silver Ladder is the path to victory – it’s neutral to views of Legacy. Blood: The Sleepers follow - You show your perfection and dedication and others will follow by your example. By basing their magic on Alchemy and Rosicrucianism Sleepers cults, they show them in Cryptopoly to strive for perfection. Adding Ladder of Existence dogma – where one member can rose higher and higher on in it by their life with focusing on Alchemy, I really cannot see Uncrowned Kings as historically Arrow Legacy. Also, Hermeticism and ceremonies are generally connected to Silver Ladder traditions, like Thrice-Great Legacy. Not too mention as whole ‘royalty without crown’ is much more Silver Ladder shtick than Arrows.
                    Don't worry, the Thrice-Great will definitely be Ladder , for they're the "true" descendants of Hermeticism.

I meant the Uncrowned Kings to be the quiet and reserved branch of Hermeticism that only maintained honorary mentions to the ceremonies and rituals of Hermeticism, being more concerned about the self rather than grander things such as cosmologies and theologies. Apparently I couldn't get that through in writing. I'll return after thinking more on this, but that will be after I finish the Timori.

In the mean time, do you (and anyone else reading!) have any ideas for other Legacies, and to what direction they should be implemented?

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                      I happen to have a homebrew conversion for the Tamers of Fire here. Of course, the Attainments have extra Reach courtesy of a House Rule.
                      Thanks. I'll be borrowing some ideas from yours, especially the Yantras and Oblations - I always have trouble making them up.

Comment

Timori

Origins

Parentage: Obrimos, no public Order affiliation
                        Background: Timori, the word thought to be Atlantean for "the Feared," are among the many bogeyman plaguing Awakened society. They call themselves Locust-Eaters, claiming symbolic descent from those of the Awakened City who forsook magic in order to protect the natural order of the world, and then who waged war on the Awakened City as the Celestial Ladder rose. In the Fallen World, the Timori are now a Legacy of Banishers who would gladly continue their timeless war and destroy all of the Awakened.
                        Appearances: There is no common signifier among the Timori, for their only connection to each other is their shared hatred towards other mages and a collective hunger for their magic. This does leave tell-tale signs of a thaumavoric creature, something that skilled mages might be able to pick up.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Banisher, Prime 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Larceny, Intimidation, Weaponry, Occult, Survival
                        Initiation: Those who Awaken improperly or turn into Banishers are swiftly neutralized by the Pentacle and the Seers alike. On occasion, a skilled Banisher survives the assault to haunt the nights. A vanishingly few of these also display a burning hatred towards the Awakened, and yet are perfectly willing to use and subvert their power to destroy them. These individuals are approached by the Timori, and soon become a new Locust-Eater.
                        Organization: If the Locust-Eaters have headquarters in any given city, then none of them have been discovered to this date. However, as the Timori modus operandi includes the kidnapping of mages to fuel their unholy existence, their must be some network of social infrastructure behind each revealed Locust-Eater. So far, all discovered Locust-Eaters have been based on a presence no larger than a typical Diamond cabal in each city.
                        Theory: Magic Must Fall. Magic is a violation of the natural order, and its practice the ultimate heresy. Nonetheless, to oust the broken heirs of the Awakened City, we must embrace their unholy power and use it against them. If this war requires us to partake in our enemies' magic to cheat death and claim victory, then so be it.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Prime
                        Yantras: Verbal condemnation of enemy mages (+1); taxidermy of predatory animals (+2); pieces of the Ruins of Before (+2); remnants of a ruined magical item (+1, +2 if the item was an Artifact)
                        Oblations: Sitting in darkness and remaining aware without magic; studying histories of the Time Before; destroying a magical item; discussing the adverse effects of magic on the world

Attainments

First: Plundered Lore
                        The first step to Timori power is taken from their enemies. This Attainment inverts the "Scribe Grimoire" spell so that the Locust-Eater plunders a Rote from a grimoire and attains it herself. Reach is assigned to make the effect Lasting, which still costs a point of Mana as usual.
                        Optional: Death 1
                        The mage perfects his Attainment so that it now directly works on Awakened souls. Magic that protects the soul provokes a Clash of Wills, upon which the Locust-Eater scores automatic successes equal to his Death dots.

Second: Crystallized Body
                        Prerequisites: Prime 2, third dot in the Skill used to qualify for initiation
                        The rarely known but crucial trait shared by Locust-Eaters above fledgeling level is their bodies subtly turning into a magical construct. This allows the Locust-Eater to draw upon Mana in her Pattern to bolster her physical capabilities. By spending a point of Mana, the Banisher may gain a +2 bonus to rolls involving Physical Attributes. This does not affect derived traits, but does increase relevant resistances and Withstand ratings. The Locust-Eater may also spend 5 points of Mana in a full night's sleep to heal a single aggravated wound, even regenerating lost pieces of body tissue. Lastly, as long as there is at least one point of Mana within the Banisher's Pattern, she does not age.
                        However, all the above boons come with drawbacks. Without concealment the Banisher's body appears to be made of crystal. This inhuman appearance causes a -2 penalty to Social interaction with people who are not accustomed to it, potentially provoking breaking points as well. Fortunately, this can be concealed by the Banisher spending a point of Mana to reassume normal appearance for a number of days equal to his Prime dots. However this is only a fascimile of life, and affecting her body with Life magic requires an equal level of Prime. Furthermore, when the Locust-Eater has less points of Mana than her Gnosis rating in her Pattern, she suffers from the Deprived Condition until she absorbs more Mana. Should the Banisher's Mana fall to zero, her body automatically Scours itself for Mana.
                        Optional: Death 2
                        The Locust-Eater is keenly wary of the sanctity of their being, so after fortifying his body comes fortifying his soul. This Attainment replicates the "Soul Armor" spell with Reach assigned to instant use.

Third: Quintessal Harvest
                        Prerequisites: Prime 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
                        Mana is the quintessence upon which existence is built on. The Timori gain power by cannibalizing this raw stuff of magic. This Attainment replicates the "Channel Mana" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. The Locust-Eater cannot give Mana with this Attainment, and can only take it. The total amount of Mana that the Banisher can steal per scene is limited by her Prime dots, but using the Attainment on other mages do not suffer this limitation.
                        Optional: Death 3
                        The Timori rarely depend on a single method of harvesting Mana, since they devour it so voraciously. This Attainment duplicates the "Devouring the Slain" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. If the Locust-Eater uses this effect on a victim, he can ignore his Mana-per-turn capacity when using the Attainment's basic effect the same victim for the scene.

Fourth: Quintessal Neutralization
                        Prerequisites: Prime 4, fourth dot in the Skill used to qualify for initiation
                        As a Legacy of Banishers, unraveling Awakened magic is a crucial necessity to the Timori cause. This Attainment facilitates that function by imitating the "Dispel Magic" spell with Reach assigned to instant use, sensory range, and permanently destroying the targeted spell. The dispellation costs one point of Mana as usual. Regarding mages the Locust-Eater has used the first or third Attainments on, she may use this Attainment to dispel their spells without knowing all the component Arcana, as if she was casting the "Supernal Dispellation" spell.
                        Optional: Death 4
                        After dispelling the enemy's magic comes disabling her person, so that the Locust-Eater may steal knowledge and Mana from her. The Banisher replicates the "Enervation" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. If the Locust-Eater uses this effect on a mage whose spells he has destroyed with the Attainment's basic effect, he may inflict the Immobilized Tilt instead as if he had spent a Reach.

Fifth: Quintessal Theft
                        Prerequisites: Prime 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
                        The ultimate secret of the Timori is the ability to strip off Gnosis itself from the Awakened, and consume it for their own ends. The Locust-Eater spends a point of Mana and enters a Clash of Wills with the victim mage, the Banisher rolling Gnosis + Prime and the victim rolling Gnosis + his highest Arcanum. On success, the Locust-Eater forcefully rips apart from her victim what is effectively a soul stone and consumes it. The victim loses a dot of Willpower and potential Gnosis. The Banisher gains one point of Willpower, five Arcane Experiences to spend freely, and the following benefits: a one-way Strong sympathy to the victim; a +2 Persona Yantra on spells affecting the victim (+3 if the Banisher's Gnosis is higher); knowledge of the victim's Legacy. This Attainment can be used repeatedly on the same victim, until either his maximum Willpower or Gnosis drops to zero. While the victim can purchase back lost Willpower, his lost Gnosis potential can only be recovered by the death of the Locust-Eater. This Attainment can be repeatedly used on a single victim until either his Willpower or Gnosis drops to zero.
                        Optional: Death 5
                        The Locust-Eater may now resist death itself with stolen Gnosis. Whenever the Banisher successfully steals Gnosis he may choose to regain youth, turning the clock back for years up to his current Gnosis rating. However, using this effect even once causes a deep-seated addiction, represented by the Obsession (Gain Mana and Gnosis) Persistent Condition. This Condition cannot be resolved, short of removing the Legacy itself from the Banisher.

Comment

I just noticed in the WoDCodex that the Walkers in Mists had Mysterium and Seers as their Orders, not Free Council. Makes sense, since the divinatory legacies all seem to have some resonance with the Seers. Any thoughts on this?

(Meanwhile, the next in line are the soul-stealing hucksters of the Carnival Melancholy.)

Comment

I think the Seers:divination connection is that a big part of their scheme is trying to read and interpret the will of the Exarchs in the Fallen World, usually in more subtle ways than the Father slapping them with a quest directly. Divination is to the Seers as magical stealth is to the Guardians.

This is a great thread by the way! I'm really looking forward to seeing your take on (Legion), I always liked them but I could never quite figure out their powers in practice. Also, I did a writeup of the Brotherhood of the Demon Wind in my signature that you're more than welcome to steal from.

2E Legacy Updates
                            Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                            Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                            Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                              I think the Seers:divination connection is that a big part of their scheme is trying to read and interpret the will of the Exarchs in the Fallen World, usually in more subtle ways than the Father slapping them with a quest directly. Divination is to the Seers as magical stealth is to the Guardians.
                              Agreed. Replacing the Council with the Seers now. It's sad for Libertines, but they can always steal a soul stone and develop an offshoot of the main branch!

This is a great thread by the way! I'm really looking forward to seeing your take on (Legion), I always liked them but I could never quite figure out their powers in practice. Also, I did a writeup of the Brotherhood of the Demon Wind in my signature that you're more than welcome to steal from.
                              Alright, then. My to-do list for now: Carnival Melancholy, Tamers of Fire, and (Legion).

EDIT: Oh, and the onikaze as well. This will be a busy week!
                              Last edited by 21C Hermit; 02-21-2017, 05:21 AM.

Comment

The Carnival Melancholy has come to town. As always I'd appreciate feedback, especially in comparison to the 1e version.

Next stop is the Tamers of Fire as Deionscribe mentioned. I intend to work first on any Legacy someone displays an interest in in this thread.

Carnival Melancholy

Origins

Parentage: Acanthus, Silver Ladder, Tremere
                                Background: During the Dust Bowls, there was a wandering théarch in the American Midwest who hid his desperate fear of death behind laughter and clownery. Eventually this man, Lucius Nero, delved deep into Left-Handed magics, and while he never reached immortality he did figure out how to barter stolen souls for fortune. Now, the Reapers of the Carnival Melancholy ingratiate themselves into niches of Awakened society, becoming an infection that no one can't seem to purge.
                                Appearances: Charlatans are exactly what they sound like, and appear accordingly. As their mundane counterparts, Charlatans dress fine and walk with confidence, but a corner of their eyes always fixed on their next mark. These Reapers never put much stock in immovable goods and personal belongings, as they must be ready to leave when their con fails and leave them in the dust.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Death 2, Subterfuge 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Socialize, Politics, Streetwise, Larceny, Intimidation
                                Initiation: The Carnival Melancholy tend to approach first to those with a silver tongue and a deep-seated fear of death. The initiation itself is almost like a long scam, where the potential recruit is nudged and tempted into situations where the most preferable choice is to join the Charlatans.
                                Organization: Charlatans rarely maintain sizeable presence in a city, since as predators they need a large enough hunting ground. Instead, each individual Charlatan either barter for a few night's stay as guests of the Consilium, or socially maneuver the local mages to settle in a corner of the city where no one can quite muster the force to pluck them out.
                                Theory: The Awakened are a nation in exile, climbing up a ladder to the fruit of Ascension. In order to end the exile and reclaim humanity's heritage, the Awakened must use the noble resources of the soul held by those lower on the rungs, tricking them out of their ignorant clutches if they must.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Death
                                Yantras: A large crowd in a pub or similar place (+1); lying to someone on something relevant to the spell (+2); gambling tools (+2); mundanely tricking a mark into giving something of worth (+1, +2 if of personal value to the mark)
                                Oblations: Making a rigged playing cards deck; making a rigged pair of dice; engaging in a highly risky gamble; planning a con on somebody together with friends and allies

Attainments

First:
                                Simple entertainment is a good way to lower the mark's tension and wariness against the Charlatan. She replicates the "Shadow Sculpting" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. If the Attainment is used to trick or entertain someone, it enjoys a boon with Potency equal to the Charlatan's Death dots.
                                Optional: Fate 1
                                A Charlatan always seem to be in good luck, and it is because of this Attainment. He duplicates the "Reading the Outmost Eddies" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use. The fortune drawn by this Attainment is always social in nature, such as someone willing to host him for the night or a chance to gain the favor of someone.

Second:
                                Prerequisites: Death 2, Subterfuge 3
                                A con artist must be subtle and discrete in her moves, and a magical one is no exception. This Attainment mimicks the "Without a Trace" spell on the Charlatan's person, with Reach assigned to instant use. The Reaper scores automatic successes equal to her Death dots in a Clash of Wills caused by magical examination.
                                Optional: Fate 2
                                Even the best mortal swindlers find themselves in situations they can't have prepared for, but those of the Carnival can escape from even them. The Charlatan duplicates the "Fools Rush In" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use.

Third:
                                Prerequisites: Death 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
                                The signature power of the Carnival Melancholy is the power to trick Sleepers out of their souls, made possible by this Attainment. The Charlatan must first make the Sleeper agree to a game of chance on his free will, and specify that upon loss the Sleeper will lose something intangible and spiritual. The Reaper may phrase this any way she likes; some bluntly admit that the soul is at stake, while some use euphemisms such as "your heart", "something money can't buy", and "what you didn't even know you had". Once the mark loses, the Charlatan is free to rip apart his soul as the "Sever Soul" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. The mark's normal Withstand rating is bypassed, but he gains one level of Withstand for every supernatural manipulation the Charlatan implemented to guarantee her success.
                                Optional: Fate 3
                                The other signature power of a Charlatan is the power to harvest a Sleeper's soul for luck. From one disembodied Sleeper soul in the Reaper's possession, usually via the "Soul Jar" spell, he may harvest a number of boons equal to his Fate dots. The boons can be kept in storage for a week, the presence of which is visible to Fate Mage Sight. Each harvest depletes one dot of Integrity from the soul, and upon zero Integrity the soul is annihilated.

Fourth:
                                Prerequisites: Death 4, Subterfuge 4
                                After learning how to plunder souls, the Charlatan is able to craft trinkets out of them. This Attainment modifies the "Soul Jar" spell so that souls can be bound into any item of Size 1 or smaller. Reach is assigned to instant use, sensory range, and Advanced Duration. If the target soul is the one the Charlatan obtained herself with the previous Attainment, she may use this Attainment with indefinite Duration without additional cost.
                                Optional: Fate 4
                                The Charlatan bewitches the soul-bound trinkets of his making. This replicates the "Monkey's Paw" spell on those trinkets, with Reach assigned to instant use and extending the effect to boons and hexes. This optional effect lasts as long as that of the Attainment's base effect.

Fifth:
                                Prerequisites: Death 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
                                There's something about the soul that makes it more than a reservoir of occult power; it is also the lynchpin of relationships between the person and the world. This Attainment is identical to the third in its execution, but at its end the Charlatan adds the effects of the "Empty Presence" spell on its victim. Reach is assigned to instant use, and the conditions for Withstand ratings is identical to the third Attainment. However, unlike the spell the Attainment is only temporarily canceled when its victim physically affects his environment, and the effects return when the scene ends.
                                Optional: Fate 5
                                The Reaper reaches the height of fortune-harvesting from souls, and is now able to duplicate the "Miracle" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. The usage of this effect depletes the exploited soul's Integrity just as the third Attainment, with the same consequences.

EDIT: Changed the fourth Attainment to fit in with the 1e Attainments as Mrmdubois suggested. The below is the pre-edit version, for those interested.

Fourth:
                                Prerequisites: Death 4, Subterfuge 4
                                Every soul stolen is a future asset for the Charlatan, so she takes care to keep it close and safe. This Attainment duplicates the "Soul Jar" spell with Reach assigned to instant use, Advanced Duration, and binding a soul directly to the Reaper herself. If the target soul is one the Charlatan obtained with the third Attainment, she may use this Attainment with indefinite Duration instead without additional cost, and any attempt to steal it away from her provoke a Clash of Wills upon which she scores automatic successes equal to her Death dots.
                                Optional: Fate 4
                                The Charlatan is now able to harvest luck more effectively from a soul. The Reaper replicates the "Strings of Fate" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. This is powered by a soul bound to him with the "Soul Jar" spell or similar effects, with each use depleting a dot of the soul's Integrity. Furthermore, the Charlatan may access additional Reach effects on the Attainment by consuming one more dot of Integrity per Reach. As the previous Attainment, zero Integrity destroys the soul.
                                Last edited by 21C Hermit; 02-21-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X