No announcement yet.

Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1e part of their attainments were to turn their soul jars into cursed or blessed trinkets that they'd pass around or use themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
      In 1e part of their attainments were to turn their soul jars into cursed or blessed trinkets that they'd pass around or use themselves.
      Noted and reflected. Once again, I appreciate and thank all input in this thread.

MtAw Homebrew:
      New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

The Champions of the Elemental Masteries are here! These guys were pretty straightforward to do, thanks to both their conceptual simplicity and the road paved by Deionscribe before.

Next will be the (Legion).

EDIT: I decided to give each of the five Elemental Tamers associations to the five Pentacle Orders in addition to the Nameless Order that is the Elemental Masteries. Which is why I'm chaning the Champions' associated Order, from Libertines to Thearchs. Heroes are the protectors of society's virtues after all, which the Silver Ladder approves of.

Tamers of Fire

Origins

Parentage: Obrimos, Elemental Masteries, Silver Ladder
        Background: As a member of the Elemental Masteries, the Tamers of Fire are one of the oldest Legacies and are among the more popular ones among them. The Champions embody the primal symbolism of the element of fire, and exalt themselves to heroism even in the modern days. Spreading the fire is also one of their callings, and they stoke others' passions as demagogues and rabble-rousers.
        Appearances: Champions come from any walk of life, but all are in fine physical fitness and thus tend to be attractive individuals. Sometimes they will sport small burns on their skin, but serious scars are rare and even that rarely mars their dignity. Another common characteristic is intense passion and fiery rhetoric, but just as many prefer warm eloquence in their speech.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Mind 2, Athletics 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Expression, Brawl, Politics, Weaponry, Drive
        Initiation: The Tamers of Fire look in applicants for courage, action, and conviction in the face of adversity. The aspiring Champion must somehow prove those qualities in front of other Champions, and the Tamers often offer initiation after seeing someone in action in unexpected crises. To those who actively seek the Legacy first, the Champions prepare a trial by fire - sometimes literally.
        Organization: Champions actively communicate and work together with their own and fellow bearers of the Elemental Mark. Many large cities host the Elemental Masteries, and in them the Tamers of Fire often take the role of leadership. However, as it is natural with those driven by wild passions, unintended fireworks result all too often.

Theory: The fire is within everyone. Fire is the element of will, intuition, leadership and trial. At the same time, fire is the element of rage, madness, destruction and transience. By embodying these aspects, anyone can achieve excellence and become heroes who will inspire the next generation to further glory.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Mind
        Yantras: Presence of an open fire at least as large as a bonfire (+1); acting in accordance with one's Virtue (+2); firestarting equipment (+2); talking to a crowd (+1, +2 if the crowd is indifferent or hostile to the mage)
        Oblations: Reading about historical leaders; starting a campfire by the "two sticks" method; firewalking; engaging in physical activities with others

Attainments

First: Know the Fire
        Prerequisites: Initiation
        As kindling is important to lighting a fire, so too the Champion must know first the hearts of those she wishes to inspire. This Attainment is a variant of the "Know Nature" spell, revealing the target's Aspirations and Obsessions instead of the usual effect. Reach is assigned to instant use.
        Optional: Forces 1
        The first step to mastering fire is handling its heat. The Champion replicates the "Influence Heat" spell with Reach assigned to instant use.

Second: Touch the Fire
        Prerequisites: Mind 2, Athletics 3
        The fire is a wild thing, and thus must be handled with caution rather than bravado. This Attainment replicates the "First Impressions" spell, improving the Champion's impression in Social Maneuvering against the target. If the Champion has acted in accordance to her Virtue in front of her target just prior to using this Attainment, she may bypass his Withstand ratings.
        Optional: Forces 2
        That fire is ultimately wild does not mean that containing it is impossible. The Champion emulates the "Influence Fire" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range.

Third: Catch the Fire
        Prerequisites: Mind 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
        Once in hand, the fire within the heart can be elevated into bright radiance. The Attainment emulates the "Will of Fire" spell with Reach assigned to instant use.
        Optional: Forces 3
        The fire within a person is hardly the only fire that can be stoked into greater heights. The Champion replicates the "Control Fire" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range. However, as a Tamer of Fire resonates strongly with the flames, he cannot use this Attainment to completely extinguish a fire.

Fourth: Embrace the Fire
        Prerequisites: Mind 4, Athletics 4
        The Champion understands in depth the spiritual element of fire, and how it invigorates the soul. After giving a speech to her subjects or leading them by example, the Champion duplicates the "Augment Mind" spell. Reach is assigned to sensory range and Advanced Scale.
        Optional: Forces 4
        Humanity has long used fire to fend off creatures of the night, and the Champion relives that ancestral wisdom. This Attainment augments the Champion's Forces Mage Armor so that it manifests as rings of fire dancing around him. In addition to the normal effects of the Mage Armor, anyone who attacks the mage in melee suffers damage from fire. The fires are considered to have the size and heat of a torch, and thus have a base damage rating of 1L with a modifier of +1L. Forces magic can affect the fire accordingly, as long as the Mage Armor is kept raised. The fires can set alight nearby flammable objects, and count as banes to appropriate creatures.

Fifth: Become the Fire
        Prerequisites: Mind 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
        Fire destroys, but creates after its raging ends. The Tamer, now a true Champion of fire, can harness talents he knew not when he was not yet reborn in the fire. This Attainment is replicates the "Gain Skill" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and dividing Potency to gain multiple Skills.
        Optional: Forces 5
        Champions most in tune with fire may summon it without need for fuel. This Attainment emulates the "Create Energy" spell, but is limited to generating heat or fire. Reach is assigned to instant use.

The below spell, used in the above content, is my variation on what was posted here by Deionscribe in their own conversion of the Tamers of Fire.
        Will of Fire (Mind •••)
        Practice: Perfecting
        Primary Factor: Potency
        Suggested Rote Skills: Expression, Persuasion, Empathy
        With the right words, a psychonaut may bolster the human spirit and endow them with will to push beyond their limits. Subjects of the spell regain one point of Willpower.
        +1 Reach: Instead of a single point, the spell grants Willpower points equal to Potency.
        +1 Reach: For the spell's Duration, whenever subjects of the spell spend Willpower to boost dice pools or Resistance traits, they add the spell's Potency to the bonus.
        +1 Reach: In lieu of Willpower, the spell grants the Inspired Condition on its subjects for its Duration. When the spell expires, the Condition also resolves without granting Beats.
        Last edited by 21C Hermit; 02-22-2017, 09:56 PM.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Wow. This is actually pretty good.

You managed to make the Tamers of Fire a pretty viable Legacy using core rules. Huh. This might actually supplant my original writeup in some parts (and make me consider discarding that House Rule altogether). The fact that they allow some modfications with the extra spell factors is another point to keep in mind. I hope you don't mind me using this version of Will of Fire, either. It's a lot simpler than the original spell/s it's based on.

Seeing as you're doing well with Legacy conversions, I am interested in how you'd handle conversions for the following Legacies after you are done with the Legion.

* Sphinxes
          * Tamers of Winds
          * The Awakening Gambit

I also need to finish up my conversion of the Illumined Path.
          Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-21-2017, 10:57 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
            Wow. This is actually pretty good.

You managed to make the Tamers of Fire a pretty viable Legacy using core rules. Huh. This might actually supplant my original writeup in some parts (and make me consider discarding that House Rule altogether). The fact that they allow some modfications with the extra spell factors is another point to keep in mind. I hope you don't mind me using this version of Will of Fire, either. It's a lot simpler than the original spell/s it's based on.

Seeing as you're doing well with Legacy conversions, I am interested in how you'd handle conversions for the following Legacies after you are done with the Legion.

* Sphinxes
            * Tamers of Winds
            * The Awakening Gambit

I also need to finish up my conversion of the Illumined Path.
            Thanks for the comments. And yeah, I went pretty liberal with how the Attainments change the original spells. And of course I don't mind you using the Will of Fire spell, or anyone using any content in this thread.

After the (Legion) is actually the Brotherhood of the Demon Wind, but I'll add those three to my to-do list. Perhaps starting with the Tamers of Winds, since I expect them to be similar to the Champions.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

I got a shiver from writing up (Legion). These guys are damn scary. On the other hand, anybody got good names for their Attainments (and every other Legacy's)? Just straight up copied Masque here.

Next up, the Brotherhood of the Demon Wind.

(Legion)

Origins

Parentage: Mastigos, Guardians of the Veil
              Background: The Legacy that is colloquially called "the Legion" does not exist. There is no Reaper Legacy condemned even by the Guardians in public, but are nonetheless supported as martyrs of the Veil. There are no mages who Reaps the souls of others to become them, wearing a disguise so perfect that even the disguisers themselves do not know who they are.
              Appearances: As the ultimate deep cover agents, it would be preposterous for any given member of (Legion) to have anything resembling common characteristics between them, and even with their past selves. In the rare case a self-proclaimed member of (Legion) is seen, they appear to be in utter peace with their self, showing absolutely nothing that could betray their personality.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Death 2, Masque 1, at least one Alternate Identity of any rating, two dots in one of the following Skills; Persuasion, Subterfuge, Investigation
              Initiation: As the very existence of (Legion) is kept secret from even experienced Guardians, no one actually comes to seek initiation into them. Every once in a while, however, some Guardian will show worrisome degrees of detachment to both his Sleeper and Awakened life, fanatically dedicating himself to the Guardians' holy mission. When such individuals disappear, people around him assume that the mission eventually claimed his life, or that he abandoned it himself after becoming estranged from the world. They aren't exactly wrong.
              Organization: Guardian Epopts publically disavow (Legion), and the level-headed members of other Orders view (Legion) as propaganda created to put the blame on the Guardians and demonize them. That is, until they realize that this is exactly what the Guardians cultivate as their Supernal persona. They then start to suspect that the bogeymen are real and could be planted just about anywhere, within and without the Order of espionage.
              Theory: Sins for a just end grant Wisdom. Sins for a just end grant Wisdom. Sins for a just end grant Wisdom.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Death
              Yantras: Becoming just another face in the crowd (+1); acting in denial of one's Vice or Virtue (+2); documents of forged identity (+2); replacing someone's position (+1, +2 if no one notices the replacement)
              Oblations: Breaking mirrors; carving out your face from photographs that picture you; creating false identities; pretending to be someone else to people who know one of your identities

Attainments

First: Identity
              Even if she physically appears to be the same person, the mage is no longer quite the same as that person on a soul-deep level. The Guardian may automatically adopt a Masque whenever she assumes an Alternate Identity, without spending Willpower. She may also shed the mask instantly when she wishes, without needing a full minute. The mage may adopt any Masque with any Alternate Identity of her choosing.
              Optional: Mind 1
              The mage deep-heartedly embraces the new personality etched into her Masque. When the mage acts in accordance with the Masque's Vice or Virtue, he gains a dice bonus equal to his Mind dots.

Second: Competency
              Prerequisites: Death 2, Masque 2, third dot in the Skill used to qualify for initiation
              As the mage melds her soul to fit the mask, she learns to suppress its unique characteristics. Whenever the Guardian adopts a Masque, she benefits from the "Suppress Aura" spell. Although the Attainment lasts long due to Advanced Duration by Reach, the effect automatically expires when the mage sheds her Masque. The Guardian's Death dots apply both as a dice penalty on rolls to discern her emotional or mental states, and automatic successes to her Clash of Wills when someone attempts to magically pierce the Attainment.
              Optional: Mind 2
              The Guardian delves deeper into his own mind to find the hidden potential needed to back up his disguise. When the mage adopts a Masque, he gains an additional number of Skill Specialties equal to his Mind dots.

Third: Diffusion
              Prerequisites: Death 3, Masque 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
              Not even the most prudent and dedicated of Guardians can continue to push back the continued sins on her own soul and person, committed by her own hands in service to the Diamond Wheel. Unless there is no "person" committing the sins, and the soul to withstand them belongs to this non-person. In the ultimate expression of sins for an end, the Guardian steals the souls of others to use it as a bulwark.
              This Attainment mimicks the "Soul Jar" spell with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration and binding the soul directly to the Reaper. Only one soul can be bound with this Attainment to qualify for the following benefits. If the bound soul belonged to a Sleeper or Sleepwalker, every Act of Hubris the Reaper commits depletes it of one dot of Integrity, and the Reaper suffers not from the Hubris. If the bound soul belonged to a mage, then the Reaper uses its Wisdom rating instead to check for Paradox, and any degeneration happens to the bound soul and not the Reaper's. Also, the Guardian emanates the Nimbus of the stolen soul unless she uses a Masque to project another. Souls are destroyed when their Integrity or Wisdom falls to zero. Finally, any powers detecting or reading the soul are automatically directed to the bound soul. Only Mage Sight may pierce the deception, after overcoming a Clash of Wills where the Reaper scores automatic successes equal to her Death dots.
              Optional: Mind 3
              As the Guardian has already forsaken his identity, it is easy for him to adopt another. When the Reaper has a soul bound to him by this Attainment's main effect, he may replicate the "Imposter" spell to convince others that he is the person to whom the bound soul belongs to. Reach is assigned to instant use, and the Reaper may bypass Withstand ratings by depleting one dot of Integrity or Wisdom from the bound soul. The mage scores automatic successes equal to his Mind dots on the Manipulation rolls he must make when impersonating people he does not know extensively.

Fourth: The Code
              Prerequisites: Death 4, Masque 4, fourth dot in the Skill used to qualify for initiation
              The Reaper grows accustomed to the act of stealing souls so that she may absolve her own sins. This Attainment replicates the "Sever Soul" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range. If the Guardian is using neither a Masque nor an Alternate Identity when using this Attainment, and has no soul bound to her person, she may bypass the victim's Withstand ratings.
              Optional: Mind 4
              The Guardian learns to truly become the person from whom he has stolen the soul he is currently wearing. This Attainment mimicks the "Psychic Reprogramming" spell on the Reaper's person, but the result always copies the traits of the owner of the soul bound with the previous Attainment. Reach is assigned to instant use. Potency is allocated in the following order; Obsessions, Virtue, Vice, Skills, long-term Aspirations, short-term Aspirations, and Conditions.

Fifth: Immersion
              Prerequisites: Death 5, Masque 5, fifth dot in the Skill used to qualify for initiation
              The snuffing out of an Awakened spark is one of the most paramount sins a mage can commit. Yet, the Guardian is not afraid to do exactly that, for her sins are not her own and she calmly accepts whatever lies at the end. This Attainment replicates the "Sever the Awakened Soul" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. The severed soul is automatically bound to the Reaper as per the third Attainment, confering the usual benefits. She may bypass Withstanding ratings under the same conditions as the previous Attainment.
              Optional: Mind 5
              Now even the world is convinced that the Guardian is the person whom he claims to be. This Attainment mimicks the "Social Networking" spell on the Reaper's person, but the result always copies the Social Merits of the owner of the soul bound with this or the third Attainment.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Can you face the gnashing fangs of the onikaze? The Brotherhood of the Demon Wind are here. Once again, the conversion was easy thanks to Caladriu 's previous work.

Next I'll break from my original plans and do the three Legacies Deionscribe displayed an interest in; Tamers of Wind, Sphinxes, and Awakening Gambit - most likely in that order.

Brotherhood of the Demon Wind

Origins

Parentage: Mastigos, Adamantine Arrows, Silver Ladder
                Background: The founder of this Legacy is a ronin of ancient Japan, a swordsman without a master to serve, who was introduced to the Mystery known as onikaze, the "Demon Wind." His students spread throughout the war-laden chaos of Japan until the country was united and made contact with the Diamond, upon which the Legacy was naturally absorbed into the Adamantine Arrows. Now endowed with a purpose, the Wave-Men carve out their places in the world with their blades and conviction.
                Appearances: All Wave-men are fundamentally warriors, but what they fight for wildly vary. Some embrace the chivalric romance of the samurai, while others put their blades to selfish use. Some set up schools of martial arts and philosophy, while others thrive within conflict as mercenaries. Many Wave-Men are pilgrims in pursuit of perfection of the blade, but just as many settle down and obtain places of prestige and respect within Awakened society.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Time 2, Weaponry 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Athletics, Politics, Brawl, Academics, Survival
                Initiation: Contact with the transcendental force known as the Demon Wind is essential to joining the Brotherhood. To accomplish this, the prospective Wave-Man is challenged to a duel with a Legacy member, preferably in an open field where the grass sway with wind. The applicant himself will know it when a sudden moment of inspiration lights him to victory, for that is when the Demon Wind has swept across his soul.
                Organization: Anywhere the Brotherhood has a strong presence, they maintain a dojo where all Wave-Men in the city are expected to belong to. These dojos are where settled Legacy members gather monthly, and wandering Wave-Men may rest their bodies for the night. Dojos are maintained by elder instructors and masters, who take newly initiated members as pupils until they are ready to be off on their own.
                Theory: Within every breath and scream, within every drop of blood and sweat, the Demon Wind is there for its chosen warriors to behold. As the clanging sounds of metal ring out through history in all of Man's lands, the Demon Wind transcends time and space to confront those who would dare to brave it. Become one with the Demon Wind, and you shall rise like a dragon to the heavens above.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Time
                Yantras: An open plain with light breezes (+1); addressing a situation with a brief aphorism or koan (+2); ritually maintained personal weaponry (+2); an open battlefield (+1, +2 if the battle is ongoing)
                Oblations: Meditation in front of a weapon; creating minimalist art; enduring bodily pain without magic; practicing martial arts with others

Attainments

First: Dew of Evening
                In an intense moment such as the middle of combat, time seems to slow down and you can catch the perfect timing to act. For the Wave-Man, that sensation is literal. She emulates the "Perfect Timing" spell with Reach assigned to instant use.
                Optional: Space 1
                The trance-state of the moment also expands the Wave-Man's senses so that he sees everything in painful detail. The mage replicates "The Outward and Inward Eye" spell with Reach assigned to instant use.

Second: Choosing Death
                Prerequisites: Time 2, Weaponry 3
                The Demon Wind trascends time, and there is always a future of victory if one can reach it. The Wave-Man duplicates the "Choose the Thread" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. Should the mage choose to use this Attainment on an enemy, she may bypass Withstand ratings by achieving exceptional success on a melee attack, but only on the immediate next turn after the attack.
                Optional: Space 2
                The Demon Wind transcend space, and there is always a way to move forwards should one wish so. The Wave-Man replicates the "Break Boundary" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use.

Third: Chasing the Wind
                Prerequisites: Time 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
                The Wave-Man chases the Demon Wind and flows through battle, lesser warriors scarcely perceiving her strikes until they fall. This Attainment replicates the "Gatling Assault" spell on her person, with Reach assigned to instant use.
                Optional: Space 3
                The Wave-Man can now briefly ride the Demon Wind so that his blade may strike from afar. This allows the mage to replicate the "Long-Armed" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use.

Fourth: Defying Death
                Prerequisites: Time 4, Weaponry 4
                Those who face death in battle shall instead find life, and the Demon Wind will raise them above the battlefield. This Attainment mimicks the "Acceleration" spell on the Wave-Man's person, with Reach assigned to instant use and granting rote quality to Dodge actions. She scores automatic successes equal to her Time dots on Clash of Wills against other pre-emptive Initiative powers. The Attainment costs only one point of Mana total.
                Optional: Space 4
                Though all warriors are fated to die on the battlefield, the Demon Wind at least allows its chosen his place of death. The Wave-Man replicates the "Teleportation" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use.

Fifth: Leading the Wind
                Prerequisites: Time 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
                Almost freed from the shackles of time, the Wave-Man now rides the Demon Wind and leads it to battle. This Attainment is a limited variant of the "Present as Past" spell that can only be used in combat, with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range. The Wave-Man scores automatic successes equal to her Time dots on the Clash of Wills against hostile Time magic.
                Optional: Space 5
                The Wave-Man rides the Demon Wind and bends the flow of battle to his will. He emulates the "Alter Direction" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use and redefinition of directions as non-linear shapes.

Gatling Assault (Time •••)
                Practice: Perfecting
                Suggested Rote Skills: Athletics, Brawl, Weaponry
                Created by a martial-minded enchanter, this spell grants its subject the ability to launch a barrage of attacks on his enemies. Until the spell's Duration ends, its subject may make a number of melee attacks equal to Potency with short burst autofire as if he was using automatic weapons. While the attacks aren't true firearms attacks and thus does not use Firearms in their dice pools, they are as fast as bullets and thus deny the enemy their Defense unless they can already apply Defense versus firearms.
                +1 Reach: The subject may attack in melee as medium burst autofire.
                +2 Reach: The subject may attack in melee as long burst autofire.

Long-Armed (Space •••)
                Practice: Weaving
                Suggested Rote Skills: Weaponry, Drive, Occult
                The god Lugh of the Tuath Dé has many names, of which "Lámfada" is oft interpreted as the power to strike enemies from afar. This spell harnesses some of that legendary power, granting its subject the ability to strike true even at a range. Until the spell's Duration ends, its subject may make a number of melee attacks equal to Potency from a distance as if he was using ranged weapons. The attacks' range band follows the same rules for aimed spells, counting the Gnosis of non-Awakened subjects as 1 for this purpose. As the attacks aren't actual ranged attacks, the dice pool does not use Athletics. The enemy also applies their Defense as normal.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Geez, you're a machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                    Geez, you're a machine.
                    And the machine will continue to work at least for a week , after which he will be summoned back into college life and the unending battle for Ascen- I mean, grades

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Ride with the winds and reach out to the truth. The Tamers of Winds are here.

Tamers of Winds

Origins

Parentage: Acanthus, Elemental Masteries, Mysterium
                      Background: Amongst the Elemental Masteries, it is the Tamers of Winds who keep their ancient lore-houses and update them with modern technologies. The Aeolians embody the primal symbolism of the element of air, and chase after enlightenment so that they can let it loose like the breeze upon the world. In all ages the Aeolians come from fields that require inquiry and investigation, from ancient priesthoods to contemporary scientists.
                      Appearances: Aeolians usually look intelligent thanks to their usually preferred occupations, but are often scruffy due to attracting winds and breezes. No matter how they're dressed at the moment, an Aeolian seems to always be looking for something, catching glimpses of details in their surroundings. They also never seem to stay still in one place for long, leaving like the winds one day and returning just like that the other.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Forces 2, Investigation 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Athletics, Academics, Science, Expression, Drive
                      Initiation: The Tamers of Winds look for a curious and inquisitive spirit in its members. The aspiring Aeolian must first prove himself of his ability to pursue the truth by tracking down an Aeolian, and the Tamers are willing to offer subtle hints and cues to lure out potential recruits. After the chase, the applicant and the Aeolian stand on an isolated height in the outdoors, after which the applicant is made to jump free-fall and feel the winds he must tame.
                      Organization: Aeolians are the scholars, investigators, and educators among bearers of the Elemental Mark. The mentor-student relationship is strong, and the Tamers of Winds feel little need to uphold social obligations when they have truth to pursue and release. Nonetheless, an Aeolian's aid or service is still highly sought after in many cities.
                      Theory: The air is the element of reason and knowledge. Reach the air and you reach enlightenment. However, as air can only be felt when in blows as the wind, knowledge and enlightenment ceases to be true when captured and unshared. The bag of Aeolus may grab the airs of knowledge, but it is when they are released that they become the winds of truth.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Forces
                      Yantras: Presence of winds strong enough to flutter flags (+1); acting in pursuit of mundane knowledge (+2); meteorologic equipment (+2); a journal containing several notes (+1, +2 if the information is relevant to the spell)
                      Oblations: Studying history; forecasting the weather; sitting outside a storm; giving detailed lectures on a given topic to a group

Attainments

First: Know the Winds
                      The Aeolian learns how the winds support the mortal body, and can conjure them as tailwind. This Attainment replicates the "Kinetic Efficiency" spell on her person, with Reach assigned to instant use.
                      Optional: Fate 1
                      Knowledge by nature must be spread, and it calls to the Aeolian to have him find it. The mage practices a variant of the "Serendipity" spell where the goal is limited to locating information. While this rarely leads the Aeolian straight to a neatly organized catalogue, he will likely find people and places who have pieces of the whole picture. Reach is assigned to instant use.

Second: Feel the Winds
                      Prerequisites: Forces 2, Investigation 3
                      By feeling the subtle mass and vibrations of the air an Aeolian may manipulate even sound. This Attainment mimicks the "Control Sounds" spell with Reach assigned to instant use. The mage scores automatic success equal to her Forces dots on rolls to emulating specific voices and types of sounds.
                      Optional: Fate 2
                      The Aeolian can now hear the whispers of the winds, who loathe to see any knowledge locked and sealed. After the mage stands still where he can hear winds blowing softly, he may replicate the "Lucky Number" spell. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration.

Third: Catch the Winds
                      Prerequisites: Forces 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
                      The Aeolian can hold the subtle winds and use them as firmly as her own hands. This Attainment emulates the "Telekinesis" spell on the mage's person, with Reach assigned to instant use.
                      Optional: Fate 3
                      With a stable hand, the Aeolian bends the winds of chance to bring him what he seeks. He replicates the "Shifting the Odds" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and the results happening within an hour.

Fourth: Befriend the Winds
                      Prerequisites: Forces 4, Investigation 4
                      As a friend of the winds, the Aeolian may with ease invite them to where she is or ask them to leave for the day. This Attainment is a variant of the "Control Weather" spell with Reach assigned to instant use, Advanced Duration, and making the changes happen gradually and naturally. The Aeolian may only summon or banish winds and storms, and any Environmental Tilts featuring them.
                      Optional: Fate 4
                      Both wind and fate are fickle forces outside mortal hands. However, someone who is their friend can ask them to move the way he wishes. After standing still amidst gales strong enough hinder opening one's eyes, the Aeolian may replicate the "Chaos Mastery" spell. Reach is assigned to sensory range.

Fifth: Become the Winds
                      Prerequisites: Forces 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
                      The Tamer of Winds truly becomes one with the winds, even if for a short time. The Attainment duplicates the "Levitation" spell on the mage's person, with Reach assigned to instant use and enabling flight. When flying, she scores automatic successes equal to her Forces dots on rolls to avoid obstacles.
                      Optional: Fate 5
                      The Aeolian may now ride the winds himself to chase knowledge and reveal the truth. He invokes a limited variant of the "Strings of Fate" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. When the Aeolian uses this effect on himself, he is guided to events that lead him towards whatever knowledge it is that he seeks. When he uses the Attainment on someone else, she is thrown into events that would cause her to disclose whatever truth she is actively hiding from the Aeolian.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Nicely done xD This is an interesting take on the Aeolians, and it'll help me with revising the Reach effects for my own version.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Starting on the Sphinxes now. I'm thinking of changing their Ruling Arcanum to Prime, since the intuitive learning, languages, reading signs, and implied divine manifestation I read in the wiki seem to fit Prime better than Fate. For that matter, could anyone tell me why they had Fate as their Arcanum in 1e?

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

The only thing I can think of is because they are puzzle solvers and need alot of luck to do that.

Sphinx – Legacies: the Ancient, pg. 91
                            Parent Path or Order: Mastigos or Mysterium
                            Nickname: Pathfinders
                            Suggested Oblations: Solving a puzzle (crossword, Sudoku , even certain video games). Translating a written work, transcribing a speech (be it a story, monologue, even a political address). Facilitating communication (by acting as a mediator or translator, for instance). Concepts: Translator, spy, speech-language pathologist, linguist, historian, fortune-teller, therapist, humanist philosopher.

Attainments:
                            The Attainments of the Sphinx are, for the most part, perceptive in nature rather than proactive. To the Pathfinders, the important and most difficult part of problem-solving is gaining the knowledge required to solve it. Alexander’s brutish solution to the Gordian Knot repulses them, because it sends the message that brute force can replace patience and understanding. Destructive magic can be countered, manipulative magic can be redirected, but magic that hides knowledge cannot stop a persistent and intelligent willworker.
                            Primary: Fate, Optional: Mind

First Attainment: Hidden Meaning
                            Prerequisites: Gnosis 3, Fate 2, Investigation 2
                            The Sphinx’s first Attainment allows her to find and decipher wisdom in the mundane. Anything that has a pattern can be used for this purpose, be it cracks in the ceiling or the calls of a flock of birds. The mage merely needs to study the pattern for a few seconds to gain the information contained therein. The effect is similar to the Fate 1 “Interconnections” spell (see p. 148 of Mage: The Awakening), except that the Attainment requires only an instant action and bestows information as though the mage had achieved five successes on the roll. Sphinxes, therefore, are awash in information if they stop to consider it, able to see connections, however faint, between any objects, people or places in sight. In addition to see these sympathetic connections, a Sphinx can use this Attainment to solve puzzles and riddles, since she can see the patterns behind their creation. Sphinx characters with this Attainment receive a +3 modifier to all Mental rolls involving riddles, puzzles, mazes or other such conundrums.
                            A more common use of this Attainment, however, is its ability to hide meaning within seemingly random patterns. A Sphinx can use Hidden Meaning to write (or draw or record) a message in a code that no Sleeper cipher can crack. The mage must physically create the message, either by writing a seemingly innocuous letter, drawing a picture or any other method she prefers. The player rolls Manipulation + Investigation or Academics to encrypt the message. When another mage with this Attainment tries to decipher the code, her player must make an extended Intelligence + Investigation roll to do so, with a number of required successes equal to [5 x the successes on the encryption roll]. Again, each roll requires an hour of deciphering. The encoding mage may choose to forego her roll, meaning that any Sphinx can decode the message automatically.
                            A mage with Fate 2 can also attempt to uncover the meaning in the message. First she must be aware that the underlying meaning exists, which is by itself difficult (she might be tipped off by an ally, a hunch or even the Dream Merit). She then casts an improvised and extended Fate 2 spell, with a number of required successes equal to [5 x encoder’s successes, minimum of five].
                            Optional Arcanum: Mind 2
                            A Sphinx who has studied the Arcanum of Mind can use her knowledge of the patterns and intrinsic meaning to aid her in interactions with others. By studying a person’s movements, the subtle messages conveyed by facial expression, body language and breathing and even how others react to him, the Sphinx gains an advantage in dealing with him. This effect is similar to the Mind 2 “First Impressions” spell (see p. 208 of Mage: The Awakening). The Sphinx may add her dots in Mind as a dice bonus to the first roll made with a given target.
                            Many Pathfinders discover that the first Attainment of the Legacy is all that they require. Indeed, much of the Legacy’s reputation is based upon the knowledge and insight conveyed in Hidden Meaning — the ability to solve puzzles and escape labyrinths, to see meaning in the mundane. Sphinxes who continue on use this Attainment as a basis upon which later, more powerful magic rests. Those who pursue other agendas, however, use Hidden Meaning to send messages to double agents in other factions (or even orders), to share research with colleagues around the world, right under the noses of their enemies, and to help Sleepers and even other mages solve puzzles that no methods the Fallen World has produced can fathom. Sphinxes who make frequent use of this Attainment to encrypt messages often develop a preferred format for those messages. One Sphinx might design websites dedicated to some inane fandom, while another writes poetry reproduced only in small-circulation periodicals. As long as the message reaches its intended viewer, the Sphinx doesn’t often care how the vehicle for the message is regarded.
                            Sometimes, though, a Sphinx creates a vehicle for a message that has resonance and value in its own right. When this happens, the message might gain fame and widespread circulation, inadvertently passing the message along to any mage who knows how to look for it. Some such messages are even rumored to trigger Awakenings, as Sleepers on the verge of enlightenment see the Supernal Realms lurking in an otherwise mundane painting or song.

Second Attainment: Truth Without Knowledge
                            Prerequisites: Gnosis 5, Fate 3, Investigation 3
                            Knowing the truth of the world by interpreting its many hidden messages is only the first step toward the superlative understanding that the Sphinx hopes one day to reach. Along that way, however, she learns to take advantage of the clues that surround her as to the fundamental nature of reality. To the untrained eye, she looks lucky or simply confident, but to a mage, every action she takes is fraught with significance.
                            The second Attainment that a Sphinx can achieve allows her to mimic the effects of the Fate 2 “Exceptional Luck” spell (see p. 151 of Mage: The Awakening). No roll or Mana expenditure is required. The mage simply takes an instant action to study the patterns of meaning around her, in the same way as described for the Hidden Meaning Attainment. The player may then designate a number of rolls equal to the character’s Gnosis rating during the same scene to have the 9 again quality.
                            Pathfinders also find that the more they rely on this Attainment, the more resonant their actions become. Mage Sight cast through the Fate Arcanum can easily detect them. Mages attempting to use Fate spells such as “Interconnections” or “The Sybil’s Sight” receive a +1 dice bonus during any scene in which Sphinx has used this Attainment to gain the 9 again quality. This bonus can cancel penalties levied by the Occultation Merit and spells such as Fate 3 “Fabricate Fortune.”
                            Optional Arcanum: Mind 3
                            By listening to patterns of sound in speech (or watching patterns of letters in written discourse), the mage can understand anything she hears or reads. This mimics the Mind 3 “Universal Language” spell, save that the mage can only understand rather than express with this Attainment. Also, she can perform research and learning-related extended Mental tasks in half the time they would normally take (that is, if every roll in an extended task would normally take an hour, this time is reduced to 30 minutes). The second Attainment of the Sphinx Legacy opens the mage further to the truth of the world and the hidden messages it contains, but still does not address the question of who or what might be sending these messages. Pathfinders at this stage make superb interpreters, translators and researchers (which is one reason the Mysterium teaches this Legacy). More martial Sphinxes enjoy the tactical benefits of this Attainment, but are careful when using it in conflict with other Awakened, as the Sphinxes are wary of coming to the notice of powerful mages by weaving themselves too tightly into the universe’s inner workings. Indeed, the Sphinxes tell stories of members of the Legacy who have become unable to see the world as anything other than an abstract mess of implication and possibility — unable to perceive light or sound anymore, they function solely through the information this Attainment grants.

Third Attainment: Off the Path
                            Prerequisites: Gnosis 7, Fate 4
                            The mage learns to “walk between” the paths of meaning in the world, disappearing from the cycles of destiny. As far as the world and its many layers of hidden messages are concerned, the Sphinx no longer exists (for as long as this Attainment is active). The Sphinx spends a moment in silent meditation, perceiving the threads of fate and stepping between them (this requires three turns of contemplation). After this, the mage’s destiny can remain “invisible” in this manner for as long as she wishes, but during this time she cannot use the Truth Without Knowledge Attainment to gain the 9 again quality, or cast any spell altering another person’s destiny (this include spells dealing with oaths, such as “Alter Oath,” as well as spells such as “Occlude Destiny” or “Destroy Bindings”). While the Attainment is active, however, she is immune to all spells that would perceive, alter, improve or denigrate her fate (including the spells just mentioned). All sympathetic magic targeted against her is considered to be four steps further removed. (So, to even attempt targeting her with a sympathetic spell, the caster would need an Intimate connection, which would then suffer a –10 penalty as though it were Described.) Also, the Sphinx is extremely difficult to scrutinize magically. She is considered to have the Occultation Merit at a rating equal to her dots in the Fate Arcanum.
                            This Attainment does not make the character physically invisible, but does make her easy to ignore. She receives a +3 on all Stealth rolls while the Attainment is active.
                            Optional Arcanum: Mind 4
                            Reading a person’s intentions isn’t difficult; a Sphinx can decipher a target’s basic mood and reactions enough to play off them with the first Attainment of the Legacy. At this advanced stage, however, a tic of the eye or a shift of the hand betrays everything about the target — his hopes, his fears and even his memories. This effect is much like the Mind 4 “Read the Depths” spell (see p. 215 of Mage: The Awakening). The mage must spend at least one turn studying the target before using this Attainment. After that, the player rolls Intelligence + Academics – the subject’s Composure. Unlike Read the Depths, mages with the Mind Arcanum do not get a chance to detect the Attainment’s effect, since it is based entirely on external observation rather than telepathic intrusion. Modifiers for distant memories might apply, but memories or experiences that significantly contributed to the target’s development (such as child abuse or the death of an important figure) might actually grant bonuses, even if the target has repressed them.
                            The third Attainment of the Legacy allows the Sphinx to exert some influence over the world’s meanings. Very few Sphinxes progress to this point, because most of them focus more on discovering what being or phenomenon is responsible for the meaning of the world. Those who do are among the most powerful and inscrutable beings in the World of Darkness, fully in tune with the world’s patterns and able to step outside of those patterns at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
                              The only thing I can think of is because they are puzzle solvers and need alot of luck to do that.

Sphinx – Legacies: the Ancient, pg. 91
                              Parent Path or Order: Mastigos or Mysterium
                              Nickname: Pathfinders
                              Suggested Oblations: Solving a puzzle (crossword, Sudoku , even certain video games). Translating a written work, transcribing a speech (be it a story, monologue, even a political address). Facilitating communication (by acting as a mediator or translator, for instance). Concepts: Translator, spy, speech-language pathologist, linguist, historian, fortune-teller, therapist, humanist philosopher.

Attainments:
                              The Attainments of the Sphinx are, for the most part, perceptive in nature rather than proactive. To the Pathfinders, the important and most difficult part of problem-solving is gaining the knowledge required to solve it. Alexander’s brutish solution to the Gordian Knot repulses them, because it sends the message that brute force can replace patience and understanding. Destructive magic can be countered, manipulative magic can be redirected, but magic that hides knowledge cannot stop a persistent and intelligent willworker.
                              Primary: Fate, Optional: Mind
                              Once again, thanks with the info. And upon reading it, all the talk of hidden meanings actually convinced me more towards making Prime their Arcanum... Let's see if I can make this work.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

On a brief hiatus due to my laptop getting smashed. Worse, mine is such an old model that they don't have its parts anymore- especially the lcd. I could work with my phone, but it apparently can't properly interact with this site. I'll probably upload a whole bunch at once after I get my laptop fixed or I buy a replacement.

In the mean time, thanks too Evernote...

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Working...
                                X