X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sphinxes

Origins

Parentage: Mastigos, Mysterium, Seers of the Throne
    Background: Ironically enough, the Sphinxes are not jealous guardians who would die rather than see their secrets spilled, as their namesake is. However, the Pathfinders do deal in symbols and abstractions, in riddles and problem-solving. The Legacy teaches understanding without meaning, and learning truth without learning fact.
    Appearances: Pathfinders themselves rarely dress in anything that would convey significant meaning. Most Sphinx mages can be found either frantically trying to interpret the pattens around them, or quietly contemplating at the one puzzle they haven't figured out yet. As language is one of the Legacy's concerns, Pathfinders are unexpectedly good speakers and listeners.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Prime 2, Investigation 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Computer, Academics, Medicine, Persuasion, Occult
    Initiation: The Sphinxes look for those who are persistent in chasing the Mysteries, and who can read between the lines and look at the whole picture, so to speak. Elder Pathfinders tend to leave cryptic riddles and coded messages in their wake, and if a mage can perceive them and intuit his way back to the Pathfinder, it is then the elder mage has found a prospective pupil. However, a good number of even those talented mages fail, thanks to the Sphinx philosophy emphasizing intuitive leaps of thought over trained expertise.
    Organization: Obsessed with messages as they are, Pathfinders communicate with hidden messages in just about every form of media accessible. White noise in radio broadcasts, the midnight channel in television, and innocuous random posts in internet forums - all those things are a useless for most, but the Sphinxes display an uncanny ability in using them to communicate with each other and host gatherings.
    Theory: The true magic of humanity is language, and the capacity for symbolic recognition. Meanings are hidden everywhere for those who can see them. Follow the riddles, solve the puzzles and decipher the messages to reach the ultimate truth.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Prime
    Yantras: Random noise (+1); giving a cryptic answer to an inquiry (+2); a pattern related to the spell (+2); preventing immediate disclosure of an answer (+1, +2 if the other party is willing to resort to violence)
    Presence of winds strong enough to flutter flags (+1); acting in pursuit of mundane knowledge (+2); meteorologic equipment (+2); a journal containing several notes (+1, +2 if the information is relevant to the spell)
    Oblations: Creating a puzzle; transcribing a speech; translating a document; facilitating communication between parties

Attainments

First: Hidden Meanings
    Prerequisites: Initiation
    The easiest pattern a mage can recognize is that of the Supernal, and Pathfinders are no exception. This Attainment replicates the "Supernal Vision" on the Pathfinder's person, with Reach assigned to instant use. If the target's nature is supernaturally concealed, the Pathfinder scores automatic successes equal to her Prime dots in the resulting Clash of Wills. In order for the mage to continue studying her target for the Attainment's Duration, she must consult the seemingly random patterns around her target to decipher meanings from them.
    Optional: Mind 1
    When the hidden meanings of the world are bare to see, reading people becomes trivially easy. After reading the patterns around his subject for a moment, the Pathfinder duplicates the "Mental Scan" spell. Reach is assigned to sensory use. If the Pathfinder has successfully used this effect on a target at least once, he may bypass that target's Withstand ratings on future uses.

Second: Hiding the Tracks
    Prerequisites: Prime 2, Investigation 3
    After learning how to decipher meanings from patterns, the Pathfinder learns to do the reverse and encode meanings into patterns. This Attainment is a variant of the "Invisible Runes" spell, where instead of just leaving the message on a surface, the Pathfinder physically creates the medium she wishes to encrypt the message into. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration, and the mage scores automatic successes equal to her Prime dots against when someone else attempts to alter the message.
    Optional: Mind 2
    The Pathfinder can encode behavioral patterns into his movement, posture, figure of speech and the like to present himself as favorable. This effect mimicks the "First Impressions" spell, used to improve the Pathfinder's impression against his mark in the next Social Maneuvering attempt. The Pathfinder may bypass his mark's Withstand ratings if he has ever succeded at Social Maneuvering against that mark before.

Third: Truth Without Knowledge
    Prerequisites: Prime 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
    Communication is ultimately made with signs, and to the Sphinxes who directly read the truth behind the signs, there is little that can be hidden. This Attainment replicates the "Pierce Deception" spell on the Pathfinder's person. Reach is assigned to instant use, Advanced Duration, and gaining a sense of what the actual truth is. The Pathfinder scores automatic successes equal to her Prime dots in the Clash of Wills against magical deceptions.
    Optional: Mind 3
    By directly delivering the intuitive truth instead of second-hand signs that is language, the Pathfinder may communicate with anyone. The Pathfinder emulates the "Universal Language" spell on his person. Reach is assigned to instant use.

Fourth: Deeper Meanings
    Prerequisites: Prime 4, Investigation 4
    All mages channel the Supernal through semiotics of Fallen Patterns, but the Sphinxes look beyond the obvious and see the more profound meanings within mundane patterns. This Attainment replicates the "As Above, So Below" spell with Reach assigned to instant use, sensory range, and making the Yantras affected grant 8-Again.
    Optional: Mind 4
    While some may call it mind-reading, all the Pathfinder is doing is analyzing cues given off by his subject that are painfully obvious to his eyes. Nevertheless the Pathfinder replicates "Read the Depths" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range. As the Attainment is not actually invading the subjects' mind but reading their surroundings, it is Withstood by Composure instead of Resolve.

Fifth: Off the Tracks
    Prerequisites: Prime 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
    After reading between so many lines of knowledge to grasp the truth within them the Pathfinder finally learns to step off the track of meanings she herself walks on, shrouding herself with false leads to throw off unwanted attention if needed. The mage may even share this obscuration with others. This Attainment is a modified version of the "Cloak Nimbus" spell, where the effects are not canceled upon casting spells and flaring the Immediate Nimbus. Instead, the Attainment's effects end when the Pathfinder uses any of her Legacy Attainments, as they require her to re-immerse herself back into the web of patterns she stepped off from. Reach is assigned to instant use, sensory range, Advanced Duration, and projecting a false values if the Pathfinder wishes.. If another mage attempts to Scrutinize the Pathfinder's Signature Nimbus, the Pathfinder scores automatic successes equal to her Prime dots.
    Optional: Mind 5
    Now stepping off the track of meanings becomes more than symbolic, and the Pathfinder may make himself or a subject imperceptible to the outside world. The Pathfinder mimicks the "Incognito Presence" spell with Reach assigned to instant use, sensory range, Advanced Duration, and switching the primary spell factor to Potency. He scores automatic successes equal to his Mind dots on the Clash of Wills against supernatural concentration to notice the Attainment's subjects.
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 03-08-2017, 03:45 AM.

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

I hope you get the Awakened Gambit done and allow Silver Ladder and Obrimos entry.....

​To me both types are chessmasters of different styles if they want to be. I see it as a Seer legacy also.
      Last edited by Kumiko; 02-27-2017, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kumiko View Post
        I hope you get the Awakened Gambit done and allow Silver Ladder and Obrimos entry.....

​To me both types are chessmasters of different styles if they want to be. I see it as a Seer legacy also.
        I can certainly see the Ladder being involved. Dunno about the Seers, since they're more interested in stamping out any more potential rebels rising against their Gods by hampering Awakenings. Unless, of course, the Awakening is meant to recruit another servant for the Gods...

I don't know if multi-Path origin Legacies are a thing in 2e, but right now anyone can qualify for a Legacy without belonging to its parent Path or Order by replicating its first Attainment as a Praxis. I'll finish them after I get my laptop fixed.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

I can certainly see the Ladder being involved. Dunno about the Seers, since they're more interested in stamping out any more potential rebels rising against their Gods by hampering Awakenings. Unless, of course, the Awakening is meant to recruit another servant for the Gods...

I don't know if multi-Path origin Legacies are a thing in 2e, but right now anyone can qualify for a Legacy without belonging to its parent Path or Order by replicating its first Attainment as a Praxis. I'll finish them after I get my laptop fixed.
          ​They are, it's the basic intention for legacies to be inclusive in 2e. Usually the actual choice is left/right just like the real world. Every and any legacy has left/right choices at every level if they're worth a shit. No damn symbol all about destruction/hatred/envy/power/love/hope/salvation should deny ANYONE that actually sees those symbols without glasses. Unless they are anyone all about themselves on EVERY level? Prove different or at least not bore me. That is the gambit ....you are trying to Awaken Sleepers and your Seer counterparts are either denying them or flat using them like pawns as long as possible like the dumb bastards not in the inner circle like in Burn Notice.

​Michael Westin is an Adamantine Arrow/Silver Ladder with Mind/Forces/Fate/Matter/Prime. Yeah, he's my type of mage when I'm attempting subtle. His crew are PURE sleepwalkers realize it and deal with it.
          Last edited by Kumiko; 02-27-2017, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I'm finally back, with my laptop fixed Frankenstein-style. And with it comes the masters and grandmasters of the Awakening Gambit. Too bad I don't know much about chess, though. Maybe I could have made them more chess-y, but oh well.

I don't remember anyone having displayed interest in other Legacies, so I'll pick up where I left and start on the Bearers of the Eternal Voice. However, classes started and thus my update speed is going to get much slower.

Awakening Gambit

Origins

Parentage: Acanthus, Adamantine Arrows, Silver Ladder
            Background: From the first moment a mage seeked out a pupil, the idea of inducting a person into Awakening has been prevalent throughout Awakened society. After many traumatic wrecks and Banishings from unprotected exposure to the Supernal, a group of mages theorized that the best shot at inducing an Awakening is to arrange dire situations where the target must Awaken or perish. The Awakening Gambit succeeds that theory, sacrificing their own resources like a "gambit" in chess, carefully manipulating their chosen marks so that they may Awaken.
            Appearances: As the Kingmakers use chess as a primary motif, they are often found playing it with others. Other strategy games such as Go and mahjong, and simulation games are also popular. Kingmakers tend to dress simply, for ease of blending in the crowd so that the mark does not notice any strings manipulating him.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Mind 2, Academics 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Socialize, Empathy, Subterfuge, Investigation, Politics
            Initiation: The Awakening Gambit most often recruit from those who have Awakened through their efforts. Although whether the Legacy is truly responsible for the Awakening, personal bias instills strong beliefs in the Legacy's methodology. Applicants must accomplish a mission where they are to improve a Sleeper's life, chosen randomly among people on the streets, without appearing nor intervening directly in his life.
            Organization: Many of the Gambit are active in the Adamantine Arrows, testing their wits in a metaphorical battlefield on the game board. Some are loyal Théarchs running Cryptopolies, hoping their cultists would eventually Awaken. Regardless of order association, loners and curmudgeons are unwelcome among Kingmakers. The Awakening Gambit isn't always friendly, but it is social.
            Theory: In chess, between the opening and the endgame is the middlegame, where the right manipulation of the pieces can lead to either victory or defeat. The same can be said for people, where strategically placing the right dangers and crises in the Middlegame can push the mark into Awakening. Win the Middlegame, and claim another victory for the Awakened.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Mind
            Yantras: Being another face in the crowd (+1); voluntarily teaching others (+2); game tokens such as chess pieces (+2); planning out strategies and tactics to a goal (+1, +2 if the plans take a known enemy's action into account)
            Oblations: People-watching; conversation with strangers; presiding over the Duel Arcane; organizing a group of mages (caucus, forum, tournament, etc)

Attainments

First:
            Playing chess or any kind of strategy game requires a good memory over what moves the opponent took and how they will unfold. This Attainment is a modified version of the "Perfect Recall" spell used on the Kingmaker's person, where she specifically recalls what her opponent or competitor was doing. Reach is assigned to instant use.
            Optional: Time 1
            In addition to the opponent's moves, a player must also grasp whether his own moves will be strategically sound or not. The Kingmaker duplicates the "Momentary Flux" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use. If the mage is using this effect in a fight which he has expected and planned at least a day ago, he gains a bonus equal to his Time dots on his Initiative.

Second:
            Prerequisites: Mind 2, Academics 3
            While keeping track of all pieces and tactics to produce a good strategy is a challenging task, the Kingmaker learns to do just that. She replicates the "One Mind, Two Thoughts" spell on her person, with Reach assigned to instant use and performing two separate Mental tasks at the same time.
            Optional: Time 2
            A single spell can be worth a whole tactic, when used in just the right moment. The Kingmaker spends some time contemplating the strategy he is about to form with his spells, after which he emulates the "Hung Spell" spell on his person. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration. Conditional Triggers can be applied normally to either this effect or the spells it holds.

Third: En Passant
            Prerequisites: Mind 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
            In chess, a pawn can move two spaces in its first move. This puts it at danger, but opens up strategic avenues. Likewise, the Kingmaker may opt for a more overt intervention to kick the Middlegame into motion. She mimicks the "Psychic Domination" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range. If the Kingmaker reveals herself and her immediate intention to her target, she may bypass his Withstand ratings.
            Optional: Time 3
            Seizing the initiative is crucial in any strategy, especially if the player has to sacrifice some of his assets anyway. The Kingmaker launches forward and emulates the "Tipping the Hourglass" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range.

Fourth: Mysterious Rook
            Prerequisites: Mind 4, Academics 4
            A "mysterious rook" is a move in chess where the moved rook seems to have no immediate purpose, but turns out to discourage the opponent's moves or begin a subtle form of attack. The Kingmaker performs a similar feat by replicating the "Emotional Urging" spell. Reach is assigned to instant use, sensory range, and Advanced Scale. This allows the mage to potentially maneuver multiple people at once, for ease of arranging any situation she needs. The Kingmaker can bypass her target's Withstand ratings with the same criterion as the third Attainment, and if she succeeds doing that with either Attainment she may immediately follow up with the other Attainment without it being Withstood as well.
            Optional: Time 4
            Sometimes things just do not work out as planned, but the Kingmaker can undo his moves if the situation is truly dire. He duplicates the "Shifting Sands" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use and traveling back in time for an entire scene.

Fifth: Grandmaster's View
            Prerequisites: Mind 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
            The most skilled of Kingmakers, often titled grandmasters among the Legacy, boast the mental ability to precisely simulate dozens of possibilities at once. This is made possible by the Kingmaker mimicking the "Augment Mind" spell on her person with this Attainment. Reach is assigned to instant use, dividing Potency between two Attributes, and raising them beyond the mage's Gnosis-derived maximum Attribute limit. The Attainment costs one point of Mana as usual.
            Optional: Time 5
            A simulation of the future plays out in the Kingmaker's mind, allowing him to orchestrate the Middlegame and reach for the Endgame. He emulates the "Present as Past" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range. Should the effect provoke a Clash of Wills regards to the Initiative order, the Kingmaker scores automatic successes equal to his Time dots.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

The Bearers of the Eternal Voice are here. And I very dearly wish I could have their abilities and persuade every professor to give me As, but alas I'm just a Sleeper.

Next was going to be the Stone Scribes, but Hardwire99 's converting of the Thread Cutters in this thread has got me interested in them first.

Bearers of the Eternal Voice

Origins

Parentage: Mastigos, Guardians of the Veil, Seers of the Throne
              Background: The talent to speak and be listened, to convince and be trusted was always sought for throughout human history. While the study of subconscious cues and the art of speech allow Sleepers to become impressive orators and uncaught liars, the Awakened have long learned to take a step further. The Bearers of the Eternal Voice are sought after for their superior skills in the art of persuasion, yet are equally shunned and hated for their manipulative methods and sense of superiority.
              Appearances: Depending on circumstances, the Whisperers may appear either imposing and dignified or humble and relatable. Knowing the audience is an important step before getting to their hearts, and thus Whisperers often have a broad wardrobe to fit the occasion. However some Whisperers, especially those who have an established status in society, tend to let their authoritative bearings handle most of the talking.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Mind 2, Persuasion 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Subterfuge, Expression, Empathy, Politics, Socialize
              Initiation: In the end the Bearers are all about oration, and that is what elder Whisperers seek foremost in potential recruits. Applicants are assigned several missions in which they must talk a mark into a certain position or state, using nothing but spoken words. A twist in this errand-running is that the elder mage himself is manipulating the aspiring mage for his own goals, and realizing this is the real criterion to becoming accepted into the Legacy.
              Organization: While Whisperers by nature constantly communicate with several people, they're also keenly aware that what they're doing is manipulation rather than true communication. It does not help that they have a sense of superiority over the masses who they manipulate so easily, which often include even the Awakened. As a result the Legacy has earned a reputation as a somewhat insular and secretive group, even though there are members who genuinely like people unlike their misanthropic brethren.
              Theory: The power of the spoken word is never to be underestimated. A single silver tongue can do things a hundred iron swords cannot do; seizing the hearts of men. Study the secret language of speech, and claim your reward in the trust of a hundred men.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Mind
              Yantras: In front of a large crowd (+1); success on a speaking-related roll related to the spell (+2); prepared documents for a speech (+2); talking the spell's target into accepting its effects (+1, +2 if the target does not suspect the mage's intentions)
              Oblations: Listening to and analyzing charismatic speakers; conducting a survey; convincing someone of something they oppose or dislike; talking to random people in a large event or gathering

Attainments

First: Clearing the Throat
              The Whisperer must first know her audience to form her speech, and she can do so with a quick glance. By engaging in conversation with her target for a scene, the Whisperer may replicate the "Mental Scan" spell. Reach is assigned to sensory range. If the conversation needed to activate the Attainment was started willingly by the target himself, the mage may bypass his Withstand ratings.
              Optional: Space 1
              Knowing what the listener holds dear is a crucial element in persuading her. Knowing this, the Whisperer may duplicate the "Correspondence" spell. The conditions for using the effect and its Reach assignment is identical to the Attainment's base effect.

Second: Poker Face
              Prerequisites: Mind 2, Persuasion 3
              While some look askance at hiding one's intentions when speaking, considering it a form of lying, it is nevertheless an important part of getting the listener to do what the speaker wants. This Attainment emulates the "Alter Mental Pattern" spell on the Whisperer's person, with Reach assigned to instant use. When someone attempts to read the Whisperer's surface thoughts or emotions, the Whisperer scores automatic successes equal to her Mind dots in the resulting Clash of Wills.
              Optional: Space 2
              The Whisperer learns to hide his emotional affiliations so that it becomes harder to read his true motivations. He mimicks the "Veil Sympathy" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use. When someone attempts to uncover or use the veiled sympathetic connection, the Whisperer scores automatic successes equal to his Space dots in the resulting Clash of Wills.

Third: The Perfected Conversation
              Prerequisites: Mind 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
              Mastery of both verbal techniques and non-verbal cues, represented by this Attainment, allows the Whisperer to become inhumanly convincing in conversations. This Attainment replicates the "Emotional Urging" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range. Despite the Attainment itself taking effect instantly, the Whisperer must still start a conversation with her target and activate the Attainment during it. If the Whisperer first succeeds on a speech-related roll towards a group of individuals that the target was part of, she may bypass his Withstand ratings.
              Optional: Space 3
              The Whisperer refines conversation into an art form, and is now unimpeded by distances and mediums. Whenever the Whisperer casts a Mind spell for communication or uses the Legacy's Attainments, he only needs to spend one point of Mana instead of Reach to access remote viewing from sensory range.

Fourth: Gilded Speech
              Prerequisites: Mind 4, Persuasion 4
              The Whisperer coats her words with honey and glitter so that the masses find it pleasing to hear. This Attainment is a variant of the "First Impressions" spell, used solely to improve the target's impression level towards the Whisperer in her next Social Maneuvering attempt against the target. The Whisperer must first address her targets, filling their hearts with her words for a scene. Reach is assigned to sensory range, Advanced Duration, and Advanced Scale.
              Optional: Space 4
              As he manipulates and steals the hearts of the masses, the Whisperer may keep little pieces of them for future purposes. This effect is a variant of the "Web-Weaver" spell that bolsters the otherwise non-existent connection between the Whisperer and anyone who has heard him speak within the last turn, instead of using physical contact with the Whisperer as the medium. The Temporal Sympathy Attainment cannot be used in conjunction with this effect.

Fifth: Spoken Reality
              Prerequisites: Mind 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
              The Bearers are rarely trusted, and some suspect they go further than being persuasive and actually employ memory-altering spells. Anyone who learns of this Attainment's existence turns that doubt into conviction. After speaking with her target for a scene, the Whisperer duplicates the "Read the Depths" spell. Reach is assigned to sensory range, Advanced Duration, and allowing the mage to edit memories she has read. If the Whisperer uses this Attainment the moment she opens all her mark's Doors in Social Maneuvering, she may bypass his Withstand ratings.
              Optional: Space 5
              Memories are strongly shaped and defined by emotions, especially with regards to memories concerning other people, and the Whisperer takes note of that before changing someone's memories. After speaking with his target for a scene, the Whisperer emulates the "Change of Heart" spell. Reach is assigned to sensory range and Advanced Duration.

Change of Heart (Space ••••)
              Practice: Patterning
              Primary Factor: Potency
              Withstand: Connection
              Suggested Rote Skills: Persuasion, Subterfuge, Empathy
              Enemies of yesterday may become friends of today, and lovers of today may become nemeses of tomorrow. This spell changes the emotional context of a sympathetic connection, but not its intensity. Old foes may find common ground to work together as trusted friends for a brief moment, and life-longlovers may tear each other apart before confessing their love again to each other tomorrow. The feelings are mutual for the parties involved, and while they may feel the sudden change they are not compelled to act according to it. Sympathetic connections of Connected strength cannot be affected by this spell.
              +1 Reach: The emotional change occurs slowly so that the subjects may not notice oddities. If the spell expires before the changes fully set in, the emotions revert back instantly.
              +1 Reach: The mage may selectively change emotions, leaving one end unchanged or changing both subjects' emotions to new ones.
              +2 Reach: The changes become Lasting. However, given enough time old emotions may reassert themselves, or entirely new relationships may emerge.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

The Thread Cutters are here. I hope they can bring my procrastination of studies to an End.

Inspired by this thread from Hardwire99.

EDIT: Once again, some tinkering with the Attainments. Their Withstand-bypassing conditions, to be precise.

Thread Cutters

Origins

Parentage: Moros, Guardians of the Veil, Adamantine Arrows
                Background: As Indo-European mages mingled with each other, they identified the presence of archetypes behind their cultures' gods, collectively called the Three; Beginning, Being, and Ending. From them the first Thread Cutters were tasked with upholding Mahadharma, the Great Law of the world where everything is born safely, lives to fulfill its dharma or Law, and meets the Good Death. However, since most people refuse to accept the end and cling on to hollow lives, the Thread Cutters have earned themselves a reputation as assassins and executioners in their reverence of the Ending.
                Appearances: Euthanists trace their origins to ascetics and mystery cultists, and even in the modern nights they live up to that heritage. Many are involved in Hindu, Greco-Roman, Celtic and Neopagan religions. Others are known to pursue career in medicine, police, law, the military and other many occupations where someone must decide who lives and who dies.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Fate 2, Occult 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Weaponry, Academics, Stealth, Empathy, Medicine
                Initiation: The Thread Cutters invoke the Three in their initiation. As the Awakening itself is viewed as the Beginning, elder Euthanists often start their tutoring with the Being, where the aspiring mage builds a life, be it an alternate identity or pursuit of an aspiration. All which the applicant has built up is then abruptly cut off, signaling the Ending. Once the aspiring mage successfully learns to let go of that which has fulfilled its purpose, he is introduced to the final stage of initiation where he goes through symbolic death.
                Organization: The Guardians have long resonated with the Thread Cutters' philosophy, and Euthanists maintain what little ties they have to the larger Awakened society through this membership. Although the Legacy's obsession towards the Great Law drives them away from petty issues of the consilium, some Arrows have been known find common ground with them in the self-discipline and stoic faith in cosmic order the Legacy internalizes. Ultimately however, the Legacy remains an esoteric cult perfectly willing to terminate people and organizations, should they determine that their time is due.
                Theory: Whatever masks they wear and names they take, the Three are the manifestations of the Great Law that keep the Wheel of Ages turning. Protect those who are in their Beginning so their dharma, or Purpose, may bud. Keep those who are in their Being on the road of their Purpose, so that it may bear fruit. Correct those who deny their Ending by bringing the end to them, so their Purpose remains pure and the cycle of renewal and reincarnation begin anew.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Fate
                Yantras: Iconography of deities representing the Three (+1); traditional mourning (+2); cutting instruments that are not conventional weapons (+2); ritualistic self-mutilation (+1, +2 if imposing a negative Condition on self)
                Oblations: Burning flowers; meditating near or depicting corpses and skeletons; fasting; presiding over or attending funerals

Attainments
                First: Threads of Dharma
                For the Euthanist to guard people's dharma, she must first know it. Although the Thread Cutters have no guaranteed and foolproof method to determine someone's cosmic purpose, their Attainments grant them a guideline at least. This Attainment is a variant of the "Serendipity" spell where its omens give subtle hints to as what the target's dharma is. Reach is assigned to instant use. The Attianment seldom reveals the dharma outright, and the mage must use intuition and experience to guide herself and her target. The dharma itself can be anything the Storyteller deems fit for that character, from achieving a Long-Term Aspiration or Obsession to founding a Legacy to just being in the right place at the right moment.
                Optional: Death 1
                The Death Arcanum teaches nothing is truly everlasting, which Thread Cutters interpret as the Ending. This effect is similar to the main effect, but reveals the target's ending instead of her dharma to the Euthanist. The ending is not necessarily physical death, and it could well be the start of a new beginning. Possible examples include the Doom of the Destiny Merit, someone who will kill him in the future, and a well-earned retirement after decades of work.

Second: Sense the Fraying Thread
                Prerequisites: Fate 2, Occult 3
                Destructive and self-destructive actions fray the dharma of the self and many others, and the Euthanist learns to identify them beforehand so that she may correct them. This Attainment is a variation of the "Interconnections" spell, where the mage unveils whether the target has indulged in his Vice or helped others indulge their Vice, suffered or caused a breaking point, or inflicted lethal damage to himself or others in the last 24 hours. If the target exerted the aforementioned influences on someone he shares a sympathetic connection with, the mage knows that as well. Reach is assigned to instant use and sensory range. If the Euthanist uses this Attainment in the same scene she witnesses her would-be target enacting such destructive influences, she may bypass his Withstand ratings.
                Optional: Death 2
                The Euthanist attunes himself even more to the Ending of all things. When using Fate or Death Sight, the Euthanist may learn whether the target has escaped or been denied her ending. Surviving a fatal accident, medical life-support, a promotion denied by nepotism, and Lichdom are all possible examples.

Third: Preserve the Thread's Measure
                Prerequisites: Fate 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
                Although the Thread Cutters earned themselves a name as fanatical assassins, the Legacy's duties include protecting people so that they may safely realize their dharma. After invoking the deities representing the Beginning for a scene, Attainment helps that endeavor by replicating the "Warding Gesture" spell. Reach is assigned to and sensory range and Advanced Duration. The Euthanist scores automatic successes equal to her Fate dots in the Clash of Wills resulting from anyone attempting to oath-bind, supernaturally compel, or manipulate the destiny of the Attainment's target. She cannot use this to selectively exclude targets from her area-of-effect spells.
                Optional: Death 3
                Many creatures in the Fallen World are capable of manipulating the soul, but the Euthanist will not simply let them use those powers and risk ruining someone's dharma. After invoking the deities representing the Beginning for a scene, the mage emulates the "Soul Armor" spell. Reach is assigned to sensory range and Advanced Duration.

Fourth: Bonds of Dharma
                Prerequisites: Fate 4, Occult 4
                Sometimes a person is hesitant towards fulfilling his dharma, or he is held back and cannot muster the resolve to pursue it. The Thread Cutter sees this denial of Being just as bad as denial of Ending, and thus intervenes. This Attainment is a variant of the "Divine Intervention" spell, where the Euthanist goads her subject into following his perceived dharma after a scene of invoking the god-mask of the Being. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration. If the mage is targeting someone she has used the first and third Attainments on, she may bypass his Withstand ratings.
                Optional: Death 4
                Extremists within the Thread Cutters easily see themselves as heralds of the Three, and reason that they should take matters into their own hands to bring about the Good Death. This Attainment mimicks the "Rotting Flesh" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and sensory range.

Fifth: Sever the Thread
                Prerequisites: Fate 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
                To the Thread Cutters, pursuing life beyond one's measured lifespan even after having accomplished one's dharma is a grave blasphemy. With this Attainment the Euthanist turns the world itself against her target, and makes it clear that her target has overstayed his welcome in the mortal world. After calling upon for a scene the righteous fury of the Ending at this blatant disregard for the Great Law, the Euthanist emulates the "Pariah" spell. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration. The Euthanist may bypass her target's Withstand ratings if she has used the fourth Attainment on him.
                Optional: Death 5
                If extending one's lifespan is a blasphemy to the Thread Cutters, then taking the lives of others to accomplish it might as well be an declaration of war in their eyes. However, Euthanists are rarely so hot-headed to lunge in immediately, and prefer to let justice take its due. After a scene of mourning for someone who has been unrightfully killed so that another could continue to live, the Euthanist replicates the "Ghost Summons" spell. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration, creating the Open Condition and making the ghost to Manifest, and summoning ghosts from the Underworld near an open Iris. The Euthanist is considered to personally know the ghost for purposes of summoning it with this effect. If he incorporates a sympathetic Yantra reflecting the killer in the preparation, he may bypass the ghost's Withstand ratings by levels equal to its dice bonus. This bypassing of Withstand continues to apply for further spells used on the ghost, as long as the Euthanist is using them to help the ghost claim its revenge.
                Last edited by 21C Hermit; 04-03-2017, 08:54 PM.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Very Very nice, I would prefer them as Acanthus but I can see them as Moros also. A very elegant write-up and I believe better than mine all in all. I particularly like the first and second Death attainment and the fourth Fate attainment. Once again very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
                    Very Very nice, I would prefer them as Acanthus but I can see them as Moros also. A very elegant write-up and I believe better than mine all in all. I particularly like the first and second Death attainment and the fourth Fate attainment. Once again very nice.
                    Thanks!

In the mean time, do you (or anyone reading this!) have suggestions for what to convert next? I can't reenact that "one Legacy per day" speed I did a few weeks ago since the semester started, but I'm planning to do this project last for a long time.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

The other Tamer Legacies come to mind. As do the Celestial Masters and the Illumined Path.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Speaking of Tamers I'd be happy to see your idea of Tamers of Blood. I've yet to see it done in a way that really makes me happy, including my own attempts. And then I've got a home made legacy I'd like you to take a look at just to pick your brain or see where you run with it.

Comment

The Celestial Master are a good one. They are forces and space. The Celestial Navigators, which is the reverse they have space first and forces as optional.

Comment

Forces/Matter and Space. They are focused on E=mc² in modern times (their 2nd & 3rd Attainments in 1e were transmuting matter in energy and vice versa), and navigation in the Age of Discovery and the Antiquity.

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Are there existing Legacies that deal with Mind and Prime? I forget

Comment

Right forgot the matter. That is what I get for responding without my books handy.

Comment

Working...
                                X