Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tamers of Blood are here!

Took a while, thanks to a combination of busy days and the Legacy being nearly a homebrew, without any 1e materials I can peek and take notes from. Next will be the Illumined Path as I said before, but don't count me on doing it quickly.

EDIT: Did some tinkering with the Attainments' optional (Life) effects, after some feedback.

Tamers of Blood

Origins

Parentage: Thyrsus, Elemental Masteries
    Background: The Tamers of Blood are one of the oldest Thyrsus Legacies dating back to the dawn of civilization, or so the Bloodletters themselves claim. They speak of ancient times when monsters walked besides men and shamans would offer sacrifices of blood to the gods. While such claims are suspect, the power of blood and sympathies the Legacy command makes them frighteningly potent sorcerers, allowing them to persist in the modern nights despite frequent accusations of being Left-Handed.
    Appearances: Modern Bloodletters often have jobs that relate to blood, both literal and metaphorical. Phlebotomists and genealogists are common, and such mages taking part in the educated class usually cover their more gruesome activities behind academia. Others fully embrace the darker sides of the Legacy, throwing themselves into a life of violence involving plenty of bloodshed, or into strange and terrible occult studies in the corners of the world.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Space 2, Occult 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Medicine, Animal Ken, Persuasion, Survival, Empathy
    Initiation: The Tamers of Blood recruit primarily from those with blood relation to themselves. As the Legacy keeps track of genealogy dating back to generations, the pool isn't limited as outsiders might believe. However, in keeping up with the modern society's lessened emphasis on large families and clans, Bloodletters do allow initiates to be married or adopted into their lineage.
    Organization: Those sharing the Elemental Mark are the only ones the Tamers of Blood can expect acceptance from, and even then the Legacy's apocryphal existence and unsavory practices leads them to being largely ignored. This leads the Bloodletters to further insular modes of living, often relying solely on their extended family that is the Legacy. Some individuals barter their services to local Awakened societies, and quietly withdraw once their affiliation is revealed and suspicions start flying.
    Theory: Blood is life. Blood is connection. Blood is power. Our predecessors were blood-wise, and we uphold their lineage and pass it to our sons and daughters. Draw deep your blood and drink deep that of your enemies, and you shall find a wealth of power transcending the boundaries of the mortal body.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Space
    Yantras: Blood on the floor or the walls (+1); gathering sympathetic Yantras derived from body parts (+2, the act itself is the Yantra); blood-letting or phlebotomic equipment (+2); body parts (+1, +2 if the parts are fresh enough to still have blood in them)
    Oblations: Studying a sample of blood; constructing genealogy tables; drinking blood; visiting distant blood relatives

Attainments

First: Know the Blood
    Prerequisites: Initiation
    As Bloodletters often take many blood samples from various sources, it helps to know which belongs to whom. When the Bloodletter uses this Attainment on a portion of blood, either contained or spilt, she may use a variant of the "Locate Object" spell. She locates the source of the blood, despite the Attainment targetting the blood itself. Reach is assigned to instant use. If the blood's source is concealed supernaturally, the Bloodletter scores automatic successes equal to her Space dots in the resulting Clash of Wills. If the Bloodletter consumes the blood sample, she may continue to track its source even after it leaves the Attainment's area-of-effect.
    For the Attaiment to work the blood must be relatively fresh, meaning that it must have not dried, and there has to be at least a mouthful of it. As long as the blood is kept fresh and plenty, it can be used continuously for purposes of the Legacy's Attainments.
    Optional: Life 1
    The Bloodletter can compel blood so that it expels foreign elements from it, keeping the blood stream hale. This effect is a variant of the "Cleanse the Body" spell that not only improves the subject's resistance roll, but allows her to roll for resistance immediately. However, the effect is limited to blood-borne toxins.

Second: Taste the Blood
    Prerequisites: Space 2, Occult 3
    Blood is a powerful symbol of connections and passion, so the Bloodletter uses that symbolism to track down the emotional ties a person has to others. After a scene of observing the blood, usually through smelling it, the Bloodletter imitates the "Correspondence" spell. Reach is assigned to instant use. The Atainment being directed to the blood's source despite targeting the blood, and the conditions regarding the blood's state in using the Attainment are identical to the first Attainment. If the Bloodletter consumes the blood sample, she may track the trail of sympathetic connections.
    Optional: Life 2
    The whole can be learned by studying its parts, or at least the Tamers of Blood can with their chosen element. The Bloodletter uses a variant of the "Analyze Life" spell. Reach is assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. The effect being directed to the blood's source despite targeting the blood, and the conditions regarding the blood's state in using the Attainment are identical to the Attainment's main effect. If the Bloodletter consumes the blood sample, he may learn the specific rating in a Physical Attribute the blood's source has.

Third: Catch the Blood
    Prerequisites: Space 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
    The Bloodletter now may drink the mystic energies within blood, letting its power course through her own veins. She replicates the "Borrow Threads" spell with Reach assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. The Atainment being directed to the blood's source despite targeting the blood, and the conditions regarding the blood's state in using the Attainment are identical to the previous Attainments. If the Bloodletter consumes the blood sample, she bypasses Withstand ratings of the connections she is borrowing.
    Optional: Life 3
    The skin is just a shell for blood to run through, and mastery of blood can shape the skin. The Bloodletter duplicates the "Mutable Mask" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. Against supernatural detection of his true form, the mage scores automatic successes equal to his Life dots in the resulting Clash of Wills.

Fourth: Perfect the Blood
    Prerequisites: Space 4, Occult 4
    Blood runs thicker than water, and for the Tamers of Blood it runs even thicker, almost tangible to their mystic senses. This Attainment is a variant of the "Web-Weaver" spell, where the Bloodletter specifically reinforces the sympathetic connection between herself and from whom her chosen blood sample came from. Reach is assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. The conditions regarding the blood's state in using the Attainment are identical to the previous Attainments. If the Bloodletter consumes the blood sample, she may amplify an otherwise non-existent connection into a Weak one. Spells or further uses of this Attainment can strengthen it even further.
    Optional: Life 4
    If blood is life, then mastery over blood would be mastery over life. As the Tamer of Blood perfects his powers over blood, he learns to manipulate it even when inside living bodies of others. He replicates the "Control Instincts" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use, sensory range, and affecting living supernatural creatures. Although this Attainment can be used directly on the subject, the Bloodletter may target the subject's blood sample instead to affect her, as with previous Attainments. Otherwise, the conditions regarding the blood's state in using the Attainment are identical to the previous Attainments. If the Bloodletter consumes a blood sample from the subject, he can bypass her Withstand ratings for the scene.

Fifth: Become the Blood
    Prerequisites: Space 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
    The Tamer of Blood can now wholly embrace the blood of her subject, becoming one with her on a sympathetic level. After a scene of drawing sigils with the subject's blood, spending it in the process and spending a point of Mana, she emulates a variant of the "Perfect Sympathy" spell on her person. The Bloodletter specifically aligns herself with the subject from whom she took the blood sample used, and the Attainment thus only works if she has a sympathetic connection with her subject. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration, extending the effect's scope to Medium sympathy, and augmenting the Attainment's effects so that it grants rote quality for a number of rolls equal to Potency. The Atainment being directed to the blood's source despite targeting the blood, and the conditions regarding the blood's state in using the Attainment are identical to the previous Attainments
    Optional: Life 5
    The most feared ability that the mastery over blood confers, practiced by the Tamers of Blood, is to take over someone's body and puppet it as if he was the blood inside it. After a scene of painting his face and hands with the subject's blood, spending it in the process, the Bloodletter mimicks the "Animal Minion" spell. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration and behaving more naturally while controlling the body. As with the previous Attainments, the effect directly affects the blood's source despite the Bloodletter targeting his subject's blood.
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 04-03-2017, 08:49 PM.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I gotta say I like most of these. I do have to ask though - I notice a lot of effects have reach applied to instant casting. Have you considered before that some of the ones which target the self, whose primary factor is duration, might do better to forgo the instant casting in favor of a ritual that allows the individual to use the advanced duration scale?

The reason I mention it is because while it's less likely that you'll pull up that effect immediately if you need it, mages are nothing if not ritualistic. If an effect would last a whole day, week, month, or year after a ritual has been performed, then it's quite likely that rather than performing that ritual just before they need it, a member of a legacy would incorporate activating an attainment into their daily rituals.

For instance, when you wrote up Brotherhood of the Demon Wind, it's first dot effects were both effects that would utilize a primary factor of duration - but they had instant casting as their fixed reach. This means that they come up basically whenever the Brother wants - the brother would spend an instant action to look around (lasting a few short turns), or spend an instant action, to be able to spend another instant action to at any point in the duration of the effect to add 2-3 dice to any mundane roll. But, if those attainments were tweaked for advanced duration rather than instant cast - and it was assumed that the brother regularly performed a ritual to activate those attainments (during the same time he routinely sharpens his sword, for instance - or as part of his daily practice), then it would also be assumed that those attainments would be always available unless something dire occurred to prevent those rituals - and even then, the higher in the arcana the mage got the less he'd have to worry about it not being available when he needed it to be.

Comment

Is this thread only for "Official" Legacies? Can we have a similar thread for homebrew stuff? I like that there is a comprehensive list at the first post of the thread, it really helps. Thank you!

PS: Why aren't threads like these sticky at the top of the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakondite View Post
          I gotta say I like most of these. I do have to ask though - I notice a lot of effects have reach applied to instant casting. Have you considered before that some of the ones which target the self, whose primary factor is duration, might do better to forgo the instant casting in favor of a ritual that allows the individual to use the advanced duration scale?

The reason I mention it is because while it's less likely that you'll pull up that effect immediately if you need it, mages are nothing if not ritualistic. If an effect would last a whole day, week, month, or year after a ritual has been performed, then it's quite likely that rather than performing that ritual just before they need it, a member of a legacy would incorporate activating an attainment into their daily rituals.

For instance, when you wrote up Brotherhood of the Demon Wind, it's first dot effects were both effects that would utilize a primary factor of duration - but they had instant casting as their fixed reach. This means that they come up basically whenever the Brother wants - the brother would spend an instant action to look around (lasting a few short turns), or spend an instant action, to be able to spend another instant action to at any point in the duration of the effect to add 2-3 dice to any mundane roll. But, if those attainments were tweaked for advanced duration rather than instant cast - and it was assumed that the brother regularly performed a ritual to activate those attainments (during the same time he routinely sharpens his sword, for instance - or as part of his daily practice), then it would also be assumed that those attainments would be always available unless something dire occurred to prevent those rituals - and even then, the higher in the arcana the mage got the less he'd have to worry about it not being available when he needed it to be.
          Point taken. I do admit, I'm more fond of Attainments as things you can do casually, than Attainments as specialized rituals. I'll look back and revise some stuff when I get some breathing space in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowjim12 View Post
            Is this thread only for "Official" Legacies? Can we have a similar thread for homebrew stuff? I like that there is a comprehensive list at the first post of the thread, it really helps. Thank you!

PS: Why aren't threads like these sticky at the top of the forum?
            Well, this is just my personal project, so of course it doesn't deserve stickies

While I don't have homebrews planned in particular, I do remember past threads in this forum. Perhaps you could search for them? I myself will start homebrewing only after I get a good grip of how the officials would work via this project. (Although admittedly, the Tamers of Blood was almost a homebrew with regards to Attainments)

Comment

Any chance you'll do Keepers of the Covenant?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                Any chance you'll do Keepers of the Covenant?
                I remember putting in on my to-do list, albeit below some other ones (probably because it was mentioned later).

Comment

I would love to see your interpretation of the Thrice Great!

Comment

The Illumined Path are here. Fluff-wise, they could've made a good hypothetical "Tamer of Light," especially with their 1e Attainments focusing on physical light/ But they're supposed to be Thyrsus with Prime in 2e, so there I went.

Credits to Deionscribe for inspirations on Attainment names and effects, although I ended up deviating much from their version.

Oh, and I probably won't do the Reversed (Left-Handed) version, because I'd rather do other Legacies first. Which I think is Celestial Masters. (I based the to-do order on the order the Legacies were name-dropped in this thread. Could've gotten some of them mixed up, though.)

Illumined Path

Origins

Parentage: Thyrsus, Free Council, Silver Ladder
                    Background: The Illumined Path is spiritually descended from mages who worked within and without the Church to help "illuminate" the souls of the un-Awakened. While one of such "Promethean' mages named Daniel eventually perished, his Sleeper grand-nephew Graham stumbled upon his Bible and revived his philosophy, publishing the book whose name would be taken by the Legacy. These two philosophers, along with the unnamed priest whom Daniel rescued out of a Mystery Play gone wrong and later became a Sleepwalker, are honored as the founders of the Legacy.
                    Appearances: Guides try to appear approachable and presentable, so as to not aggravate their potential pupils. Many shun religious paraphernalia to avoid being marked as exclusive, despite the Legacy itself maintaining a religious atmosphere. While most Guids come from professions involving education or spiritual guidance, the Legacy is ultimately open to everyone who wishes to guide others into enlightenment.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Prime 2, Socialize 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Academics, Empathy, Expression, Occult, Investigation
                    Initiation: Nominally, anyone who reads Graham's Book and follows its philosophy is a member of the Illumined Path. To actually shape an Awakened applicant's Gnosis, however, elder Guides first take him as a pupil in an apprenticeship. While the Legacy allows different perspectives, it usually involves spiritually guiding Sleepers without violating the Consilium's laws or protecting them from violent supernatural phenomena.
                    Organization: As the Illumined Path is more of a philosophical movement than a mystery cult, it is open to everyone and frequently adopt modern communication technology to connect with both Legacy members and non-members. While truly sensitive information is kept hidden, the Guides don't care much for hiding the fact that they're wizards, or at least spiritual gurus. This, along with some of the Legacy's precepts involving facing Paradox straight on, has earned them some ire from other mages.
                    Theory: As physical light is a spectrum, so is the spiritual light of the Awakening. By gently leading a soul and recognizing the moment of its spark, even Sleepers may become Sleepwalkers or Awakened, and the Awakened themselves can reach greater wisdom. Therefore we must cherish all souls, guiding them out of the dark woods and banishing those who would harm them.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Prime
                    Yantras: Faint light within an otherwise dark environment (+1); teaching and tutoring (+2); flashlights, torches, or other illuminating tools (+2); using magic to help the un-Awakened (+1, +2 if the magic risks Paradox)
                    Oblations: Guided meditation; volunteering time for a charity; experimenting with Paradox; philosophical discource

Attainments

First: In the Dark Wood
                    The world is comparable to a dark wood woven with lies, so the Guides aspire to shine a light to illuminate it. After a scene of calm meditation in the presence of a light, the mage replicates the "Pierce Deception" spell. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration. Against magical deceptions and illusions, the Guide scores automatic successes equal to her Prime dots in the resulting Clash of Wills. If the Guide wishes to impart this Attainment's effects on another person, he must partake in the meditation with her.
                    Optional: Spirit 1
                    The most immediate and numerous dangers of the Fallen World come from the spirits of the Shadow, so the Guide outfits his subjects to find their way through its darkened paths. This effect emulates the "Exorcist's Eye" spell, under the same Reach assignment and conditions for using the Attainment's main effect.

Second: Know the Way
                    Prerequisites: Prime 2, Socialize 3
                    Resonances of ley lines and nodes greatly affect the un-Awakened and their lives, but sadly many of them are ignorant of the subtle forces. The Guide attempts to alleviate some of this blindness by emulating the "Sacred Geometry" spell. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration and Advanced Scale. This Attainment requires a scene of illuminated meditation like the previous Attainment, and a Guide may use both Attainments with a single scene of preparation if she performs both of them on non-Awakened subjects.
                    Optional: Spirit 2
                    By knowing the secret ways between the worlds, the Guide can hide himself and his subjects from unseen entities. He mimicks the "Shadow Walk" spell, with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration. Conditions for preparing this effect, and sharing the preparation with the first Attainment, are identical to that of the Attainment's main effect.

Third: Safeguard the Path
                    Prerequisites: Prime 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
                    One reason why people avoid and forget the supernatural is because that it's just too dangerous. Therefore the Illumined Path work to guard the path to enlightenment from wicked forces with this Attainment. After a scene of reassuring her subjects to not fear the darkness and believe in the light of truth, she duplicates the "Wards and Signs" spell. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration and Advanced Scale.
                    Optional: Spirit 3
                    Sometimes the shadows lash out at the would-be enlightened, as if it were recoiling against the light shined at it. An experienced Guide takes preemptive measures to ward himself and his subjects from such attacks by replicating the "Ephemeral Shield" spell. Reach assignment and preparations for activating the effect are identical to those of the Attainment's main effect.

Fourth: Light of Knowledge
                    Prerequisites: Prime 4, Socialize 4
                    The Illumined Path strongly believe that the Awakening is not a binary state, and that Sleepers can progress to Sleepwalking and finally Awakened status with just a little help. The Guide makes this conviction closer to reality, by emulating the "Stealing Fire" spell after a scene of sharing the Legacy's philosophy with them. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration and Advanced Scale. If her subject is a nominal member of the Illumined Path, defined as having read Graham's book and officially recognized by Awakened members of the Legacy, the Guide may bypass his Withstand ratings. Should the Attainment's effects expire, its subjects benefit from a dice bonus equal to the Guide's Prime dots in their breaking points.
                    Optional: Spirit 4
                    Knowledge by itself is no good; as the founders of the Illumined Path did, one must reach out to the darkness with their newfound light. For this reason the Guide encourages his subjects to interact with the unseen, duplicating the "Gossamer Touch" spell. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration, Advanced Scale, and extending the corporeality to the subjects' belongings on their persons. Preparations for using this effect is identical to that of the Attainment's main effect.

Fifth: Light of Wisdom
                    Prerequisites: Prime 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
                    Wisdom beyond knowledge is gained by not just seeing in the light, but focusing light to illuminate what is hidden. As such the most talented Guides use this Attainment to mimick the "Apocalypse" spell after a scene of disseminating the precepts of the Illumined Path to their subjects. This preparation can be done in conjunction with that of the fourth Attainment, if the Guide is performing both of them to benefit non-Awakened subjects. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration and Advanced Scale. The Guide bypasses her subjects' Withstand ratings under the same conditions as the fourth Attainment, the satisfaction of which also shelters them from breaking points caused by Mage Sight. Also, the subjects may waive Willpower costs from extended usage of Mage Sight by a number of points equal to the Guide's Prime dots.
                    Optional: Spirit 5
                    An oft overlooked aspect of the Illumined Path is that it actually prefers releasing Paradox over containing it, for they believe it clouds the light of the soul. Those who know of such practices look askance at the Legacy, but the brightest of the Guides have learned to banish the shadows of Paradox with their spiritual light. While activating Spirit Mage Armor, the Guide reduces any resistant damage suffered from containing Paradox by his Spirit dots, and does not suffer Paradox Conditions either from released or contained Paradox. Also, when Scouring out Paradox Conditions, the Guide downgrades lethal damage into bashing damage. This damage is still resistant.

Comment

Thought I forgot this, didn't you?

The Celestial Masters are here. They were pretty straightforward, in my opinion. As always, criticism is appreciated. I may forget to apply some of those, but I'm trying my best to remember and act on them.

The next in line is.... Fangs of Mara, I think? That'll be another huge one.

EDIT: Changed the fifth Attainment so that it has Reach on Advanced Duration, instead of instant use. Also added the scene-long ritual they have to do before activating it.

EDIT: Changed some Attainments' Reach assignment, on the basis of Teatime reminding me that spell-derived Attainments can be aimed/thrown, freeing up some Reach assigned on sensory range. In fact I might go over all the other Legacies and their Attainments some time, since I wrote a lot of them in a trance of inspired fit with minimal correcting done.

EDIT: Changed the 3rd Attainment's main effect, so that one Reach is assigned on creating Environmental Tilts.

Celestial Masters

Origins

Parentage: Moros, Free Council, Silver Ladder
                      Background: The Celestial Masters have their origin in Portugal, as a consortium of navigators and explorers under the service of Henry the Navigator. It started with the mage Vespasian and his cabal, the Cartografos Celestiais, who focused on mapping the stars itself. The mage Daedalus soon took leadership of this cabal and formed the Celestial Navigators Legacy, which originally specialized in Space magic. Later, a théarch called Gauge reintroduced the Legacy to the emergent Free Council and his Order, and combined it with the laws of conservation of matter and energy to create the contemporary Stargazers.
                      Appearances: Many Stargazers already had interest, if not expertise, in the physical sciences and as such are comfortable in academic settings. Astronomers among them are often seen at the outdoors, contrary to the popular image of lab coat scientists. Others take a more philosophical or even poetic approaches, with a mind as keen as any others. A few are in it for the money, wishing to capitalize on transmuted rare materials, and interpreting the mapping of the stars as laying out roads of trade.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Forces 2, Science 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Academics, Drive, Crafts, Survival, Computer
                      Initiation: Applicants are not required but strongly recommended to have a background in physics, and prior skill in the Forces and Matter Arcana are valued. Then the aspiring Stargazer undergoes extensive academic training with a Stargazer mentor, studying a wide variety of topics including physics, alchemy, astronomy, and history of the Legacy and the Age of Discovery. If the mentor deems the pupil fit, she takes him to the grave of Prince Henry in Sagres to confirm his wish to reach out to the stars and finalizes the initiation.
                      Organization: The Legacy's headquarters are in Sagres, Portugal. Regular meetings are held every three years, which also coincide with the final stage of initiation of new Stargazers in most mentorships. This meeting is more akin to a science conference and consortium, where the Stargazers share newfound discoveries both in Awakened sorcery and Sleeper science. Irregular and personal meetings for the same purpose are common in and encouraged by the Legacy, as Stargazers network with each other to best map out the universe and its workings.
                      Theory: We are all made of stars. We wished upon the stars, projecting our deepest longings towards them, only to discover that those lights were stars long dead. Progress and discovery smolders old promises, but also reveals new wonders. As the stars broke down and formed the elements of this world, we too will one day transform into light and inspire distant worlds.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Forces
                      Yantras: Sky full of stars (+1); mathematical equations (+2); cartographic tools (+2); non-magically converting energy from one type to other (+1, +2 if the energy is also converted back into its original form)
                      Oblations: Stargazing; scientific research; sea travel; joining an expedition team

Attainments

First: Lantern of Starlight
                      The night skies are pitch black, but a Stargazer may attune herself to invisible frequencies of energy to see even in darkness. This Attainment replicates the "Nightvision" spell on her person, with Reach assigned to instant use. Stargazers also learn to familiarize themselves with the sudden disorientatio this Attainments causes, havling the time required for the resulting Blind Condition to vanish.
                      Optional: Matter 1
                      Starlight reveals shapes of things hidden in darkness, and the Stargazer can do something similar. This effect mimicks the "Discern Composition" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use. As a relic of the Legacy's former affinity with the Space Arcanum, Stargazers with a single dot in Space can know where the object's materials came from.

Second: Celestial Telescope
                      Prerequisites: Forces 2, Science 3
                      The Stargazer learns to extend her sight faraway even when she is not studying the starry skies. This Attainment emulates the "Zoom In" spell on her person, with Reach assigned to instant use. When she focuses on particularly small-scale phenomena, she scores automatic successes equal to her Forces dots if an Intelligence + Science roll is called for to understand what she is seeing.
                      Optional: Matter 2
                      After gazing upwards and onwards to the vast and unknowable night skies above, crude matter on Earth seem relatively transparent. The Stargazer duplicates the "Steel Windows" spell on his person, with Reach assigned to instant use and seeing through multiple layers. When seeing through intricate objects, the Stargazer scores automatic successes equal to his Matter dots if a Wits + Skill roll is called for. Combined with the Attainment's main effect, the Stargazer can potentially see through miles without hindrance.

Third: Luminous Shapes
                      Prerequisites: Forces 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
                      If energy and matter are one and the same as the stars have taught so, could not one shape raw energy as one would shape raw matter? This Attainment allows the Stargazer to do just that, mimicking the Matter spell "Shaping" but affecting energy instead of matter. Reach is assigned to instant use and leaving behind appropriate Environmental Tilts, if applicable. Although the latter usually requires two Reach, using Forces instead of Matter mitigates that requirement. Unless employing other Forces spells, the total volume of energy cannot be changed, nor can the energy cannot be made denser or dispersed to change its strength.
                      Optional: Matter 3
                      Stargazers are just as concerned with matter on Earth as extraterrestrial light, and they are no stranger to shaping its form to suit their needs. This effect replicates the "Shaping" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and affecting solids. As the Stargazer knows matter is as fluid and mutable as energy, he scores automatic successes equal to his Matter dots in Wits + Crafts rolls called for shaping Matter into intricate shapes.
                      In addition, the Stargazer may choose to shape both energy and matter together instead of only one, even blending them to create unearthly constructs. The volumes of both the energy and the matter must be within the Attainment's Scale to be affected. When shaping energy together with matter this way, both can be made denser or dispersed to suit the mage's needs.

Fourth: Everything is Stardust
                      Prerequisites: Forces 4, Science 4
                      The Stargazer learns to tap into the shimmering energies around her that may once have been stardust, learning to wield it as if it were matter that it once was or will be. In effect the Stargazer duplicates the "Telekinesis" spell on her person. Reach is assigned to instant use and dividing Potency between two traits between Strength, Dexterity, or Speed. The telekinetic forces manifest as clouds of starry light, visible as swirling around moving objects or surrounding suspended ones.
                      Optional: Matter 4
                      Matter exists as a spectrum of states before transforming into energy, and the Stargazer may move it from one state to another. This effect mimicks the "State Change" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and changing solids directly to gases and vice-versa. Because the Attainment's main effect already requires Forces, the Stargazer can transmute gases into plasma and vice-versa.

Fifth: Light Long Dead
                      Prerequisites: Forces 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
                      Light from distant stars are long dead but not gone forever, having been reborn as light of this world. One day the energies of this world will be reincarnated into starlight, and the Stargazer anticipates that moment. After a scene of studying and analyzing the energies of a high-energy environment, such as a light-filled stadium or a rock concert with excellent audio, she emulates the "Transmute Energy" spell. Reach is assigned to Advanced Duration and Advanced Scale.
                      Optional: Matter 5
                      Matter too is just another form of energy, bearing within the potential to change and become new forms. After a scene of crafting an object within a high-energy environment, such as blacksmithing in a forge or assembling a computer amidst high-tension cables, the Stargazer replicates the "Transubstantiation" spell. Reach assignment is identical to the main effect.
                      In addition, the Stargazer can now combine the Attainment's two effects and freely transmute energy into matter and vice versa.

Steel Windows (Matter •)
                      Practice: Unveiling
                      Primary Factor: Duration
                      Suggested Rote Skills: Science, Subterfuge, Larceny
                      Even the thickest wall of steel cannot hinder the sight of an alchemist. For the spell's Duration, its subject may see through a solid object within his range of vision as if it were transparent by focusing his sight upon it. If the object is multi-layered, like a matryoshka doll or a building with many walls and rooms, the subject can only see through the outermost layer on his end. Trying to see through layers of particularly intricate objects, as some machines are, may require a Wits + relevant Skill roll. As the spell does not increase its subject's visual field, sufficiently large obstacles such as a mountain may only appear transparent up to a certain point.
                      +1 Reach: The subject may see through multiple layers, each layer beyond the first requiring a turn of concentration. This still does not allow her to see entirely past huge obstacles beyond his normal sight.
                      +1 Reach and add Life •: The spell can be used to see through living creatures, revealing their insides. He may adjust how much he can see through, choosing to examine someone's muscles or analyze her organs. Understanding what he is seeing may require an Intelligence + Medicine roll, while searching for specific organs or tissues may require a Wits + Medicine roll.
                      Last edited by 21C Hermit; 04-13-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

The effects of the 5th attainment won't last very long without Reach assigned to Advanced Duration, not sure if that was intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                          The effects of the 5th attainment won't last very long without Reach assigned to Advanced Duration, not sure if that was intentional.
                          The bane of using high-level spells as Attainments - there's not enough Reach to go around!

Actually, when thinking of the Attainment I supposed that the Stargazer can just use it over and over again, since it's instantly used and impossible to dispel or DIssonance it away. Also, I figured that finding ways to make the transmutations stick would be the Legacy's way of Ascending.

On second thought, maybe I'll just swap out instant use for Advanced Duration. Any ideas on the scene-long ritual preparation they have to do to activate the Attainment?

Comment

21C Hermit,
                            I would like to ask if you can explain the Theory part of the Legacies. Since you are doing a tremendous great job at translating them.
                            I'm trying to come up with a Theory for the Daoine, but I'm having some troubles to understand the whole Theory beyond the Legacies.

Check my homebrews:
                            Vampire Bloodlines: Kiasyd
                            Mage Legacies: Infernal Ones, Daoine

Comment

Originally posted by Horodrigo View Post
                              21C Hermit,
                              I would like to ask if you can explain the Theory part of the Legacies. Since you are doing a tremendous great job at translating them.
                              I'm trying to come up with a Theory for the Daoine, but I'm having some troubles to understand the whole Theory beyond the Legacies.
                              The theme and purpose of the Legacy as it approaches the Supernal, as the Legacy members themselves explain it to initiates and outsiders. Or at least, that's how I roll with it.

The Daoine are the self-employed judges of the Scales of Wyrd, that delicate web of interconnections and justice. When someone tilts the scales with a transgression, the Good Folk deliver the stark and harsh justice of Arcadia, as the faeries do in their stories that many in the modern world misremember as harmless children's tales. Now say all this as an elder Daoine would when introducing himself and his Legacy, and that's pretty much what I'd write as their Theory.
                              Last edited by 21C Hermit; 04-12-2017, 01:25 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                                On second thought, maybe I'll just swap out instant use for Advanced Duration. Any ideas on the scene-long ritual preparation they have to do to activate the Attainment?
                                Since it's a legacy that's seeing a resurgence thanks to the FC all I can think of is using the third attainment to build a replicator, or drinking tea, earl grey, hot.

Comment

Working...
                                X