Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Since it's a legacy that's seeing a resurgence thanks to the FC all I can think of is using the third attainment to build a replicator, or drinking tea, earl grey, hot.
    Not sure what you're referring to, but whatever it is it gave me an idea; basking in a place of energy and building something within it. Gonna go edit the post.

MtAw Homebrew:
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Star Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
        Star Trek.
        Oh. Should've watched it.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Yes I have been waiting for the Celestial Masters so thanks.

Comment

This is a port of Eyes of Ain Soph.

I'm posting this here with 21C Hermit's permission. I'm open to criticism and corrections; I will make edits to this post in response as necessary. Thanks to 21C Hermit for this thread and all of his excellent work. Finding one of his legacy write-ups on Google is what led me to this forum.

Eyes of Ain Soph

Origins

Parentage: Obrimos, Mysterium
            Nickname: Seekers
            Background, appearance, and other roleplay concerns: These are covered in the Mysterium sourcebook beginning on page 166, and also to an extent in the Whitewolf Wiki. I make no edits to that material.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Prime 2, Academics 2, two dots in one of the following Skills: Investigation, Occult, Science, Survival, Expression
            Initiation: An aspiring Seeker must research, analyze, and experiment with a novel and possibly dangerous Artifact. Then she must document in detail the fruits of her investigation into the Artifact's history and characteristics as well as a theory regarding its purpose, intended use, and magical underpinnings. Finally, the initiate must present her research before a gathering of Seekers who will judge whether or not she deserves to become a member of the legacy.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Prime
            Yantras: Safety equipment that protects against the effects of the spell (+1); sensory equipment able to detect or measure the effects of the spell (+1); documenting or presenting the Seeker's theories regarding the workings of the spell (+1); any environment that is magically shielded against the spell's effects (+2); succeeding in an Academics, Investigation, Occult, or Science roll to research the spell or its target (+2); ancient or obscure grimoires (+2)
            Oblations: Studying an Artifact or imbued item; finding or examining an ancient relic; formulating a scientific or occult theory, writing an academic paper; translating a text written in an ancient language.

Attainments

Note: For the first three attainments, the Spirit effect activates in addition to the Prime effect. In these cases, both effects use the same Reach allocations. For the fourth and fifth attainments, the Spirit effect activates as an alternative to the Prime effect.

First: Seeker's Eye
            Prerequisites: Initiation
            The mage attunes herself so well to the flows of magic that she can analyze instinctively its manifestations. This attainment mimics the effect of the Supernal Vision spell. Seekers tend to use this ability as often as possible so as to never miss a chance to analyze some rare and unusual wonder.

Optional: Spirit 1
            The mage can also use her same enhanced perceptions to warn her of any spirits in her vicinity who have invaded the physical world. This attainment works similarly to the spell Exorcist's Eye. Seekers rely on this power to rule out the possibility of ambush by hostile spirits before attempting dangerous magic.

Second: Seeker's Cloak
            Prerequisites: Prime 2, Academics 3
            The Seeker learns the wisdom of concealing herself from magical forces she cannot hope to tame -- even, or especially!, when she herself unleashed those very forces. This is a Duration-primary Veiling effect. For the duration of the effect, no magical spell may take the Seeker as its direct target unless its caster wins a Clash of Wills against the Seeker. For the purpose of the CoW roll to defend against becoming the target of a spell, the Seeker automatically scores successes equal to her dots in Prime. This effect also applies in the event of a Paradox to prevent abyssal forces from shifting the target of a spell to the Seeker. In the case that the Seeker herself cast the spell that resulted in the Paradox, the Seeker must roll a CoW against herself. She uses her Gnosis + Arcana on behalf of the Paradox-blighted spell. If the Seeker wishes to cast a spell targeting herself intentionally (or allow another to do so) she may end this effect with a reflexive action prior to the casting.

Optional: Spirit 2
            A Seeker familiar with Spirit magic can similarly conceal herself from the unwanted attentions of hostile or mischievous spirits. This attainment works as per the Shadow Walk spell.

Third: Seeker's Aegis
            Prerequisites: Prime 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
            As the mage learns more of this Legacy, she can use her knowledge of magic to protect herself from the magics she observes. The mage can call upon protection identical to the Wards and Signs spell to avoid harm while not interfering with the operation of a particular fascinating magical effect. This attainment uses Reach for Advanced Duration and Instant Casting.

Optional: Spirit 3
            Mages skilled in the Spirit Arcanum also learn how to protect themselves from the powers of spirits. The mage can call upon a protection identical to the Spirit Shield spell.

Fourth: Seeker's Laboratory
            Prerequisites: Prime 4, Academics 4
            At this level of immersion into the ways of the Seekers, the mage has fully perfected her powers of observation and analysis. Seekers of this level wander the world fully aware of any magical items, beings, and effects that surround them. This is a Duration-primary Perfecting effect with Reach assigned to Instant Casting and Advanced Duration. For the duration of the effect, the mage enjoys several improvements to her Active Mage Site:
            • She may enter Active Mage Site as a reflexive action regardless of which arcana she chooses to include.
            • She may include any number of Common or Inferior arcana at no mana cost.
            • She need not pay Willpower to continue using Active Mage Site for an extended period of time.
            If the mage is using Active Mage Site when this effect ends, she immediately leaves Active Mage Site.

Optional: Spirit 4
            Given enough time to prepare, a Seeker can make her experiment grounds nigh-impregnable to the denizens of the Shadow -- or she can all but invite them in to serve as the subjects of her experimentation. This attainment works as per Place of Power with Reach allocated to Advanced Duration and Advanced Scale.

Fifth: Seeker's Mastery
            Prerequisites: Prime 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
            Having now mastered this Legacy, the mage understands all forms of magic well enough to remove them with a wave of his hand. The mage can dispel any magic in a manner similar to the Supernal Dispellation spell with Reach assigned to Instant Cast and Advanced Duration. Moreover, this effect can also dispell the effects of legacy attainments that emulate Prime Veiling effects. ***

Optional: Spirit 5
            Mages who investigate the most profound and dangerous mysteries can always use potent guardians. This Attainment allows the mage to call upon such guardians as those amenable to the Familiar spell with Reach assigned to Instant Casting and Advanced Duration. Most mages who bind spirits in this fashion also agree to make an offering of Essence, services or some other recompense in return for the spirit acting as a guardian, and many mages seek out spirits who are filled with curiosity and agree to share their knowledge with the spirit in return for its services.

*** Per the 2E core rules, "A Greater Utility Attainment may offer the ability to counter all supernatural powers of a kind, including the Legacy Attainment". Greater Utility Attainments are rank 4+ utility attainments, so this is a slight stretch of the rules. I take "of a kind" to mean "in the purview of a particular practice for a particular arcana". Pragmatically, aside from the one defined in this legacy, I don't think you're ever going to encounter an attainment that emulates a Prime Veiling effect. I included this mostly for flavor.
            Last edited by galivet; 04-15-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
              Timori

First: Plundered Lore
              The first step to Timori power is taken from their enemies. This Attainment inverts the "Scribe Grimoire" spell so that the Locust-Eater plunders a Rote from a grimoire and attains it herself. Reach is assigned to make the effect Lasting, which still costs a point of Mana as usual.
              Optional: Death 1
              The mage perfects his Attainment so that it now directly works on Awakened souls. Magic that protects the soul provokes a Clash of Wills, upon which the Locust-Eater scores automatic successes equal to his Death dots.
              21C Hermit Is is possible to get clarification on the First Attainments Optional Arcanum, Preferably that part I have Highlighted. What now works on Awakened Soul The Primary Function of the Attainment or what?

Also Could I ask that Cloud Infinite be added I plan of running one of these in a game the I am running and need some more info.
              Last edited by Hardwire99; 04-17-2017, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post

21C Hermit Is is possible to get clarification on the First Attainments Optional Arcanum, Preferably that part I have Highlighted. What now works on Awakened Soul The Primary Function of the Attainment or what?

Also Could I ask that Cloud Infinite be added I plan of running one of these in a game the I am running and need some more info.
                ... Strange, I don't even remember writing that...

I guess I really should go back and check my previous Legacies. The Tamers of Fire were where I started to get a hang of this Legacy-translating stuff, so Legacies before it are considerably messier (in my POV).

And note taken on Cloud Infinite. Now that my midterms are over, I can pick up my hobbies again, mainly this one. I have a lot to cover, especially when counting the Legacy edits, but I promise I'll get to the Users!

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Speaking of priorities, my current queue line is:
                  • Fangs of Mara
                  • Tamers of Rivers
                  • Bokor
                  • Tamers of Stone
                  • Tamers of the Cave
                  • Thrice Great
                  • Eyes of Ain Soph
                  • Cloud Infinite
                  As always, Legacies that people displayed an interest in are given priority.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

This took quite a while, haven't it? Missed the forums for a few days, and there's so much to catch up on.

Anyways, the Fangs of Mara are here. Next up will be the Tamers of Rivers.

EDIT: I originally put Advanced Potency in some Attainments, because I expected Acamoth to dispel them on sight, but Teatime reminded me that Attainments are immune to dispellation already. So I went and reassigned some Reach. Oh, and changed Psychic Violation so that the whole spell is Withstood by Resolve from the first place, following Tessie's advice, and added some extra bits to it.

Fangs of Mara

Origins

Parentage: Mastigos, Guardians of the Veil, Seers of the Throne
                    Background: The philosophy of using the enemy's tools to fight the enemy has always existed. And so, the Fangs of Mara employ dark magic and forbidden knowledge of the Abyss itself to battle Abyssal intruders, especially the Acamoth that infest souls and dreams. The Legacy's history is obscured and unreliable, due to its secretive nature. Oldest records of the Legacy's name are in the 19th century, and even then no one is sure whether it refers to dream-demons in Anglo-Saxon folklore or the archdemon in Buddhism. Nevertheless, the Fangs persist in modern nights as those who wield fear as a weapon against the Void.
                    Appearances: While some Nightmares take on menacing attire and frightful trappings, most learn to avoid drawing unneccesary attention to themselves. Nevertheless, more powerful Fangs tend to carry an aura of imposing dread and disquieting unease, the sort that accompanies hardened killers and contained madmen. It helps that most recruits of the Legacy are drawn from who know how to wield fear, or those who were wracked with fear in their lives. A rare few are survivors of Abyssal intrusions, who decided to take the fight to the Void rather than quake in fear forever.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Mind 2, Intimidation 2, two dots in one of the following Skills; Occult, Empathy, Academics, Weaponry,
                    Initiation: Some mages are harrowed with nightmares and horrors by their future mentor, without their knowledge or consent. Some are instead approached by the mentor, and encouraged to inspire fear and terror in others. Either way, the mentor introduces himself properly only to those who accept fear and learn to wield its power. The student, if she accepts the initiation, then undertakes a Nightmare Journey - a sojourn into the dreams of an Acamoth. Survivors find their souls shaped into a Nightmare. Others are left broken and crippled.
                    Organization: The Fangs have ill reception in most cities, for their sorceries are unnervingly close to that of Scelesti for comfort. While the Nightmares themselves would love to correct this misunderstanding, the fact that some of them do become slaves to the Abyss exactly as other mages expect, and that waves of terror always accompany their activities leave them unwelcome. For this the Legacy adopts a cellular structure, where even the most well-connected members personally know less than a dozen members. Nonetheless, some cities hire the Fangs' service as a sort of black ops forces.
                    Theory: Fear. We all live in fear. No one is free from it. Not even those who inflict it on others. Not even the demon-gods That Are Not, whose dreams leak into this world as profane nightmares. We are who live and die in fear, who reach into the dreams of the Void so that we know what the intruders themselves fear, and send them back to the Abyss screaming in terror.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Mind
                    Yantras: Locations where atrocities took place (+1); scaring the subject (+2); torturing tools and other implements that inflict pain (+2); suffering from fear or madness (+1, +2 if the emotions are enough to constitute a Condition)
                    Oblations: Researching what others fear; keeping a dream-journal of one's nightmares; indulging or confronting what one fears; discussing with others about the nature of fear

Attainments

First: Gazing into the Abyss
                    They say that if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you. The Fangs anticipate that moment, and are prepared to meet the Abyss in its gaze. When using Active Mage Sight with Mind, the Nightmare can also tell if a dreaming mind is being wracked with Abyssal influences. This includes both mundane victims of Abyssal intrusions, and the nightmares shaped by an Acamoth as part of their damning pact. Curiously, this Attainment also detects the quiescent nightmares of the Acamoth themselves as well.
                    Optional: Space 1
                    The Fangs of Mara are keenly aware of Abyssal presence, in a way many mages condemn as kinship with it. Whenever a Nightmare detects Abyssal influence with the base effect of this Attainment, he may track it as per the Unseen Sense Merit. This creates a faint sympathy with the source of the sensation, which can be amplified into a proper connection with the "Web-Weaver" spell or similar effects. Unlike normal Unseen Sense, however, the Fang can initiate a Clash of Wills to uncover even supernaturally concealed phenomena, upon which he scores automatic succeses equal to his Space dots.

Second: Fear's Icy Hand
                    Prerequisites: Mind 2, Intimidation 3
                    The Nightmare learns to project fear into her subjects, in an uncanny resemblance with the non-beings she vowed to vanquish. This Attainment replicates the "Emotional Urging" spell, except the only emotion it can harness is fear. Reach is assigned to instant use. If the victim of this Attainment is physically alone, or has been denied restful sleep the night before, the Nightmare may bypass his Withstand ratings.
                    Optional: Space 2
                    Fear is best roused when one is alone, and a Nightmare can all too easily replicate that creeping sensation. He duplicates the "Isolation" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. If the victim of this effect is already suffering from fear, the Nightmare may bypass her Withstand ratings. The base effect of this Attainment can be used to meet this criterion.

Third: Bleak Sojourn
                    Prerequisites: Mind 3, two dots in a second Skill among the initiation Skill list
                    A Fang of Mara at this stage of initiation can now take the fight to the Acamoth when they are most visible and accessible. This Attainment functions as the "Dream Reaching" spell in usual circumstances, with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration and assuming Dream Form. To use the Attainment, the mage must undertake a scene-long meditation perusing the worst fears of either her own or her subject.
                    The true function of this Attainment, also called the Nightmare Journey, is to enter the maddenening dreams of a sleeping Acamoth, or the nightmares being conjured when an Acamoth is riding its host's soul through the Astral. In either case the Fang confronts the Acamoth as if it were a normal Goetia, enabling her Mind spells to affect the otherwise inscrutable monstrosity. This does not, however, rob the Acamoth of any Abyssal powers it can actively assert over the Fallen World. As a baseline, assume the Acamoth can use any Befouled spells and Dread Powers fitting its concept as Numina. Otherwise, it still possesses whatever abilities a standard Goetia of its Rank would have.
                    When tracking an Acamoth already projecting to the Astral to commune with the Abyss, the Nightmare may track it to whatever layer it dwells in. She needs no separate point of access, for the rifts in the soul left by the Acamoth substitutes for an Astral Path. Also, she scores automatic successes equal to her Mind dots whenever a roll is called for to pass Astral thresholds. The Nightmare cannot stray from the path, but Goetia and other beings may still intercept her path.
                    If the Acamoth's Dream Health is emptied while it was projecting in the Astral, it is immediately ejected from its host's soul and enters a fitful sleep once more, after discorporating to flee to somewhere safe. If it was vanquished within its own mind, the Acamoth loses all its Essence and discorporates, reforming elsewhere equally desolate.
                    If the Nightmare dies in Dream Form, she suffers a Paradox Condition in addition to Soul Shocked upon waking in the physical world. When rolling Willpower for the Soul Shocked Condition, she scores automatic successes equal to her Mind dots. Finally, if the Nightmare dies in Dream Form or otherwise leaves the nightmare without destroying the Acamoth, the Acamoth gains a sympathetic connection of varying strength to her.
                    Optional: Space 3
                    When tracking down an existential monstrosity into the Inner Realms, unexpected interference from outside is unwelcome at best. When preparing to undergo a Nightmare Journey with the main effect of this Attainment, the Nightmare may include defeating or assimilating the fears he peruses in his meditation. This allows him to simultaneously replicate the "Ban" spell while in Dream Form, with Reach assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. The Ban only repels Goetia and other Astral entities that might hamper the Fang's chase. Although the Acamoth itself is unaffected, any minions it may command will be Banned from helping their master.

Fourth: Glimpse of Madness
                    Prerequisites: Mind 4, Intimidation 4
                    After delving into the nightmares of the Abyss, the Nightmare carries a little of the Void's sympathy with fear, and she can smite frail minds with it. This Attainment replicates the "Psychic Violation" spell, with Reach assigned to instant use and Advanced Scale.
                    Optional: Space 4
                    True terror strikes without presence nor form, and likewise a Nightmare can deliver fear from afar with utmost skill. He emulates the "Web-Weaver" spell, strengthening the connection between him and his subject. Reach is assigned to instant use and Advanced Duration. If the Fang uses these connections to cast Mind spells with Sympathetic Range, he doesn't need to spend Reach to access sensory range beforehand. Likewise, he may use his Legacy Attainments with Sympathetic Range without expending additional Reach, as long as he uses the connections strengthened by this Attainment. Either way, he still needs to incorporate a sympathy Yantra and spend one Mana.

Fifth: Throw Wide the Gates
                    Prerequisites: Mind 5, two dots in a third Skill among the initiation Skill list
                    The ultimate technique practiced by the Fangs of Mara is almost certain to get them branded as Scelesti even by more tolerant cities. Yet the Nightmares consider it a necessary risk to destroy the Acamoth. This Attainment resembles the "Goetic Summons" spell, but is only able to yank an Acamoth projecting in the Astral into the physical world. Reach is assigned to instant use, Advanced Duration, and summoning the subject from the Oneiros. In the latter Reach effect, because the Attainment makes use of the rifts in the soul left by the Acamoth, it can summon the Acamoth from any layer of the Astral.
                    The Acamoth turns Twilight upon entering the physical world, with the same abilities as if the Nightmare faced it using the Bleak Sojourn Attainment. Anyone with Bleak Sojourn or its equivalent can affect the Acamoth as if it were a standard Goetia. If the Nightmare using this Attainment had at least two dots in Death or Spirit, the Acamoth is Materialized.
                    If the Acamoth's Corpus and Essence are emptied, it is destroyed in the Fallen World and not banished into the Abyss. This triggers Anomalies as if a Paradox was released, with a dice pool equal to the Acamoth's Rank plus the sum of all Paradox dice accumulated by all mages in the vicinity during that scene. The Anomalies' duration is determined by the lowest Wisdom among the mages present in the vicinity.
                    Optional: Space 5
                    Some Abyssal entities may seem mindless, but this rarely implies lack of strategy. They will flee to recuperate when pressed direly, and their vengeance destroyed many mages who thought they won. The Nightmare will accept no such fate, and locks down a summoned Acamoth from escape. This effect resembles the "Ward" spell, simultaneously triggered as the base effect of this Attainment is used. Reach is assigned to instant use, sensory range, Advanced Duration, and Advanced Scale.

Psychic Violation (Mind ••)
                    Practice: Fraying
                    Primary Factor: Potency
                    Withstand: Resolve
                    Suggested Rote Skills: Intimidation, Academics, Empathy
                    A mind is concrete as any other Pattern to practitioners of the Mind Arcanum, and an Adept can pull at its loose threads to unravel its structure. This spell saps its subject of Willpower points equal to Potency. Subjects who have zero Willpower suffer half of remaining Potency, rounded down, as bashing damage.
                    +1 Reach: Instead of sapping Willpower points, the spell now decreases the subject's Willpower dots. Unlike the normal effect, this lasts only for the spell's Duration.
                    +1 Reach: Instead of sapping Willpower, the spell inflicts the Soul Shocked Condition.
                    +1 Reach: The victim suffers the Beaten Down Tilt, in addition to the other effects. This ignores being immune to the Tilt via being accustomed to violence.
                    Add Death : The trauma forces the victim to roll for a Integrity or Wisdom breaking point, in addition to the other effects. Supernatural entities with other Integrity substitutes may be affected at Storyteller discretion.
                    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 05-08-2017, 02:06 AM.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Yesss. Was wondering how long till the next one.

Psychic Violation is pretty sweet, but I think it should always be Withstood by Resolve. What's the reasoning for it not being? Treating WP like HP?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                        Yesss. Was wondering how long till the next one.

Psychic Violation is pretty sweet, but I think it should always be Withstood by Resolve. What's the reasoning for it not being? Treating WP like HP?
                        Yup. Speaking of which, I should also make the dot-instead-of-point option also be Withstood. Will fix just a moment later.

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Okay, so I have some of the 1e books as pdfs, and thankfully one of them is Legacies The Ancient where the Elemental Masteries are. I'm skimming over the Tamers of Rivers, and their keywords seem to be; healing, traveling, and femininity. As I didn't bother to make their elemental contrast, the Tamers of Fire, as a particularly masculine Legacy, I'm having trouble whether I should go for symmetry in themes (or to be exact, absence of anything to be symmetrical) or translation accuracy. Thoughts?

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• I prefer themes. But as a werewolf fan the themes have been moved to the forefront and the Gift mechanics don't translate. I suppose you might see what people have thought on previous translations, if they specifically enjoyed a retention of themes or the direct conversion.

There's also Tamers of Trees, Iron, Rain, Ice, Light, Sand and Blood. Who were apparently never really explored, except possibly the Blood ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                              I prefer themes. But as a werewolf fan the themes have been moved to the forefront and the Gift mechanics don't translate. I suppose you might see what people have thought on previous translations, if they specifically enjoyed a retention of themes or the direct conversion.

There's also Tamers of Trees, Iron, Rain, Ice, Light, Sand and Blood. Who were apparently never really explored, except possibly the Blood ones.
                              Right, I'll look for what other people did. At the moment I'm leaning towards thematic coherency rather than accuracy- that is, I'll most likely focus on Healing.

I did Tamers of Blood, but only because I had some info on what they were about, and I imagined them as anachronistic descendants of the Blood-Wise from the Neolithic. Do you know of any similar source I could tap on to flesh the other Tamers out?

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                                Okay, so I have some of the 1e books as pdfs, and thankfully one of them is Legacies The Ancient where the Elemental Masteries are. I'm skimming over the Tamers of Rivers, and their keywords seem to be; healing, traveling, and femininity. As I didn't bother to make their elemental contrast, the Tamers of Fire, as a particularly masculine Legacy, I'm having trouble whether I should go for symmetry in themes (or to be exact, absence of anything to be symmetrical) or translation accuracy. Thoughts?
                                Um... *Considers* I don't seem to recall the Tamers of Fire having anything to do with Masculinity? So I think you'll be fine there. Could be wrong, been a while since I read the original, but gender-focus seemed a tamer of rivers thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X