The View from the Ground - A Sleepwalker's Perspective

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The View from the Ground - A Sleepwalker's Perspective

Mage: The Awakening is a game about Mages. It is understandable that the game's books focus on things from the perspective of the Awakened. Here is how the Awakened exist, their secret societies, secret laws, secret libraries, secrets secrets secrets. It can give the impression that the secret world they inhabit is predominantly populated, thus, by the Awakened, walled off from all other people.

This isn't the case. The books try and periodically disabuse us readers of the notion, but when everything about Mage is about Mages, the perspective of just what life is like for everyone else sort of gets left by the wayside. Despite the majority of people in the secret world not being Mages, we get precious little about them. This isn't a criticism, it's a necessary part of the books, but it leaves me wondering and thinking and that's the origin of this thread.

What does the secret world look like to Sleepers? How "populated" is it? How much do people know? How connected is everyone? What's the "average" Sleeper or Sleepwalker like when they know something of the big secret? How do the Orders look from the outside?

To start us off, I'm going to throw out a quote from Dave over at the RPGNet forums:

CofD mages are semi-visible: anyone with a dot or two of Occult knows the Orders exist, even if only as shadowy groups intertwined with all the publically visible occult societies. There's more Sleepwalker members of the Orders than fully-Awakened mages.
    Two dots in Occult represents some pretty significant investment of time and effort into chasing the occult, and probably reasonable skill in performing real, if minor, occult tricks like making amulets or exorcising a spirit or ghost. This is more than just your average person who likes to hang on conspiracy theory forums (though, in truth, I imagine many do).

(And Dave, if you're thinking of pitching a Sleepwalker Book, I'd definitely buy it, even if it's just a short 25-50 page supplement or something.)

So, with that, the floor's open. What's the secret world look like in your game, from someone on the ground?

• Michael
    replied
    I believe Glamourweaver's point was referring to Christianity as an institution, not as an ideology. Like, Christianity and Islam both create fairly unified cultural areas where people could fairly freely move around as there's a shared overarching world view and set of institutions.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
    Of course, it's entirely possible that in the MtAw world, dragons got associated with The Enemy only because the mages used draconic imagery, and mages aren't exactly safe people to be around...
    Still, from logical stand point of Order spread by various philosophical systems, Diamond Orders and their Dragon Symbology need to be reconnected with Christianity in Middle Ages. But I think this idea should go in to other topic. I base my Christanity asesment of Diamond Order on great post of glamourweaver which sounds solid:

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    The Diamond Orders were born in the Alexandrian Empire. Rome actively makes itself a cultural heir of the Hellenistic world, so add its territory too to the expansion of the Diamond. Buddhism comes out of North India into China and beyond, so the Diamond easily expands throughout East Asia at the same time. Roman, Byzantine, and Coptic Christianity does the job of further expanding the Diamond (so that covers the rest of Europe and Russia), and once the Persian Empire is subsumed by the Caliphate, Islam does the same.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    And the whole reptilian overlords thing suddenly make a lot more sense, when you consider that the Watchtowers/Oracles and the Diamond Orders use a lot of draconic imagery... So all the conspiracy nuts about reptilians and Satan/Dragons have a point, except the whole thing is symbolic in nature!
    It goes deeper. I mean Repitlians are essentially just the Serpent Men from Conan, and Conan is the descendant of Atlanteans...

So clearly Robert E. Howard knew something...

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

If Satan is Dragon, then how Diamond could use Christanity to spread itself in Middle Ages?
    Just because the conspiracy theorists have a point, doesn't make them right - they'll inevitably mix up a few things and get the really important parts wrong. Like that case where that hunter group (forgot which) mistook the Pure as the good guys and the Forsaken as the bad guys.

Of course, it's entirely possible that in the MtAw world, dragons got associated with The Enemy only because the mages used draconic imagery, and mages aren't exactly safe people to be around...

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    So all the conspiracy nuts about reptilians and Satan/Dragons have a point, except the whole thing is symbolic in nature!
    If Satan is Dragon, then how Diamond could use Christanity to spread itself in Middle Ages?

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

To me this all are smaller 'web cults' connected to Free Council ( and only few to modern Guardians ). I have literally one mage PC Libertine in my games that is Obrimos hackctivist that run website/blog how Reptalian Overlords are ruling reality and want to control society ( i.e. Lizard Exarchs ).

I run Network Zero as almost official hunters allies of Free Council.
    Actually, I'd say the modern Guardians and their Labyrinth is a lot more involved in those sites than you give credit for, and less credit to the Libertines.

And the whole reptilian overlords thing suddenly make a lot more sense, when you consider that the Watchtowers/Oracles and the Diamond Orders use a lot of draconic imagery... So all the conspiracy nuts about reptilians and Satan/Dragons have a point, except the whole thing is symbolic in nature!

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
    Whenever you google "Masonic Signs" and "Occult symbols" as often as I do, you're bound to encounter a slew of sites with some really... Unique ideas about various symbols and their meanings. Fun to borrow from but probably not the most reliable sources. Many look like they were made by someone who took a basic HTML course for web design in the early '00s, and talk about how everything is Satanic.
    To me this all are smaller 'web cults' connected to Free Council ( and only few to modern Guardians ). I have literally one mage PC Libertine in my games that is Obrimos hackctivist that run website/blog how Reptalian Overlords are ruling reality and want to control society ( i.e. Lizard Exarchs ).

Come to think of it, this might be where Network Zero comes into it, if Hunters are getting involved.
    I run Network Zero as almost official hunters allies of Free Council.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-24-2017, 03:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Axelgear
    replied
    To add another question to the mix: Who are the sources of the average occultist/occult investigator? Who is considered trustworthy and untrustworthy?

Whenever you google "Masonic Signs" and "Occult symbols" as often as I do, you're bound to encounter a slew of sites with some really... Unique ideas about various symbols and their meanings. Fun to borrow from but probably not the most reliable sources. Many look like they were made by someone who took a basic HTML course for web design in the early '00s, and talk about how everything is Satanic.

(It bears some uncanny familiarity to fringe news websites; I watched the "three million illegal voters" bollocks unfold from its beginning from a website that looks like something your conspiracy theorist uncle would make.)

In the CofD, just who the hell are the major news sources watched by occultists? Who is trustworthy? Are there websites that link these groups together? How unhinged does your average occult investigator have to be?

Come to think of it, this might be where Network Zero comes into it, if Hunters are getting involved.

Leave a comment:

• RomulusGloriosus
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Though really, a vampire wouldn't need to be a waitress as they could just get someone else to do it, whether it was for spying or for money. I'm not a fan of 'every vampire is a strategic mastermind' but even the most basic of vampires can find someone else to pull a night shift for them.
    No, they wouldn't NEED to be a waitress, but they might WANT to be a waitress. Being a waitress can be fun. You get to know people, it's a job, you learn things, you can even get attached to your regulars. Isolation feeds the Beast. Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by branford View Post
    Mages are bursting with both passive and active supernatural means of detection, and would be well aware if their regular waitress was a member of the undead.
    Unless they order their drinks with active mage sight, the only thing they're likely to get off of her is a peripheral bump from her use of Auspex. Provided she didn't use Disciplines and there's no ghost hunt going on there's strong odds she wouldn't be uncovered.

Though really, a vampire wouldn't need to be a waitress as they could just get someone else to do it, whether it was for spying or for money. I'm not a fan of 'every vampire is a strategic mastermind' but even the most basic of vampires can find someone else to pull a night shift for them.
    Last edited by nofather; 02-22-2017, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• branford
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    undetectable without other supernatural means of detection.
    Mages are bursting with both passive and active supernatural means of detection, and would be well aware if their regular waitress was a member of the undead.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Screw the manager. I'd be a whole lot more concerned with the waitress if I were to go to a council in that bar. Auspex is by far the most effective tool of information gathering, and completely undetectable without other supernatural means of detection.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied

... Normal human - his fetch - the human back as a changeling?
    Or a body thief. Or a Demon with multiple Covers. Or a spirit Claiming new hosts. Or...

Leave a comment:

• RomulusGloriosus
    replied
    Groups of powerful people all using owl symbols, etc.
    http://www.theonion.com/graphic/owls-are-assholes-9307

Leave a comment:

Working...
X