Mage Tarot Deck Back in Print!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
    Instant purchase. Now if only they'd reprint the Ascension deck...
    I don't know if we can. Ascension's Tarot was so long ago, pre-IP selloff, pre-CCP merger, pre-Time of Judgement, hells, pre-Mage revised, that its art files are either in a godawfully ancient format on a zip disk somewhere or gone for good. It might be possible. I'm sure Mike knows.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post

I don't know if we can. Ascension's Tarot was so long ago, pre-IP selloff, pre-CCP merger, pre-Time of Judgement, hells, pre-Mage revised, that its art files are either in a godawfully ancient format on a zip disk somewhere or gone for good. It might be possible. I'm sure Mike knows.
      I mean, the cards are in the book. It'd be just a simple process of taking them from it. The trickier part would be the other context of the cards, such as their backs. In either case, looks like it'd be an amazing stretch goal somewhere. *Hint hint.*

Comment

Although each Ascension book did have a Tarot card in it, the gameline wasn't long enough to use every single card in its deck. Also, most of those older books have exactly the same missing/unusable resources issue, which is why the versions sold on Drivethru are scanned rather than built-from-the-layout-files pdfs. For a modern book, we can flatten the production pdf down to usable size and send that to Drivethru. Much of Ascension's back catalogue is only available by literally taking a copy of of the book apart and feeding it through a scanner. This is also why there's a few books from the early days that aren't available on DriveThru yet - their team only has so many resources to devote to scanning and processing.
        Last edited by Dave Brookshaw; 03-01-2017, 11:12 AM.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post

I mean, the cards are in the book. It'd be just a simple process of taking them from it. The trickier part would be the other context of the cards, such as their backs. In either case, looks like it'd be an amazing stretch goal somewhere. *Hint hint.*
          Agree, i love that to have been a strechgoal for a mage kickstarter.

I bought mine on my first trip to USA, cost me about a hundred but i use them now to do reads and learned tarot with them. Fortunately FFG sell card foil of that size.

Speaking of which has anyone ever use them for their games? How was it?

Comment

Has the art been updated to 2e, so f.e. both the Devil and Temperance spot the Mastigos symbol etc.?

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
              Over on the OP blog, Rich says the art files are permanently gone, and the deck would have to be recreated from scratch.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tambov View Post
                Has the art been updated to 2e, so f.e. both the Devil and Temperance spot the Mastigos symbol etc.?
                No, it's the same deck.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Anybody updated the "Carthomancer" merit? It seems only like a wording thing to me, but I haven't thought about it enough myself.

Comment

I threw this together a while back for one of my players. The wording could be cleaned up a bit, but it covers the bases I think.

Cartomancer ••
                    Prerequisites: Occult specialty (Tarot), Wits 3
                    Through intense study of the symbolism of the cards and the art of reading the tarot you have learned to perform rapid assessments of a drawn trump in order to glean insight into the conditions surrounding you and lend certitude to the upcoming application of your will. While preparing to cast a spell the mage may pull and interpret a card from any tarot deck as a Yantra. Minor arcana cards associated with the desired outcome offer a +1 bonus, while major arcana offer a +2. Cards with a meaning opposed to the desired outcome will instead levy a penalty to the casting roll equal to the bonus that might otherwise have been obtained; however after interpreting their draw the cartomancer may choose not to cast that particular spell and instead pursue a different solution, but the effort of adding yantras to the new imago will take additional time as normal for instant spells.

Comment

There are two ways for making interesting/balanced cartomancer for 2E I can see right now.

A) "You can use tarot as an extra dedicated tool", which is...okay-ish. It steps on Techne's niche, on dedicated-tool's niche, and Shadow Name's niche. It's also a bit boring.
                      B) "You can use TAROT READING as a Environmental yantra / You can use SPECIFIC, UNIQUE, TAROT DRAW as a sacrament Yantra. It's bonus can vary between -1 to +2."
                      Basically, idea that by doing a tarot reading, you are constructing a momentary, fragile truth that can be reaped for stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
                        There are two ways for making interesting/balanced cartomancer for 2E I can see right now.

A) "You can use tarot as an extra dedicated tool", which is...okay-ish. It steps on Techne's niche, on dedicated-tool's niche, and Shadow Name's niche. It's also a bit boring.
                        B) "You can use TAROT READING as a Environmental yantra / You can use SPECIFIC, UNIQUE, TAROT DRAW as a sacrament Yantra. It's bonus can vary between -1 to +2."
                        Basically, idea that by doing a tarot reading, you are constructing a momentary, fragile truth that can be reaped for stuff.
                        B is certainly more interesting. And a Libertine with Techne could always take their Tarot deck as their Dedicated Tool if they wanted to go that route with it.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Sweet, this has been purchased. I hope to get it soon!

"Teamwork makes the dream work!"

Comment

Working...
                          X