Shards of the Ladder (2E)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shards of the Ladder (2E)

Though the Time Before has long been lost, remnants of its existence still persist in the Fallen World. Atlanteans temples and the Bound are two common manifestations of this lost era, but smaller fragments have been found over the years. These fragments, called “Shards of the Ladder” by some mages, hold incredible power. Most resonate with either one of the Supernal Realms or the Fallen World itself, but a few are rumored to have been tainted by the Abyss. Whatever their nature, each is an Artifact, and one that can be worked into imbued items to grant them additional magic.

Description: Shards resemble chunks of stone, glass, crystal or metal, usually no bigger than a foot long and six inches around. Some are spherical, some are long and sharp, and some simply resemble rocks. Some Shards are perfectly formed geometrical shapes — simple cubes or cones, or polyhedrons with as many as twenty sides. The shape of a Shard isn’t necessarily indicative of its power, although more perfectly formed examples often originate from the Aether, Arcadia, or Stygia.

Most Shards are silver, bronze, gold or deep red in color, but every color in the spectrum is possible. Some are perfectly clear, and some appear to be filled with liquid (this is an optical illusion, however). All are three-dot Artifacts which have Durability 4, Size 0–1, and Structure 4–5.

Imbued Items: Shards can be incorporated into the construction of imbued items, and they can even be imbued themselves, unlike most Artifacts. A mage using the Imbue Item Attainment on a Shard or an object incorporating one gains a +3 bonus to the dice pool. He also adds a base of five successes to the required total for the imbuing, but this is subject to some modifiers. Supernal Shards are more receptive to magic cast by mages on the appropriate Path and to spells using the Ruling Arcana from their Realms. Both reduce the item's required successes by -1.

If an Imbued Item incorporates a Shard in its creation, its power gradually fades if it is removed. After a number of hours equal to its dots, reduce the item's rating by one. This causes it to lose spells and Attainments as its magic is diminished.

Spells: All Shards can be used to cast a one-dot Knowing or Unveiling spell. Supernal Shards, of course, use one of the Ruling Arcana from the Realm in question, while Terrestrial Shards can use a spell from any Arcanum. Each Shard can only cast one spell. The spell in a Shard is a contingent effect. The character needs to touch the shard to his forehead, lips, eyes, heart or some other body part (each stone is different) to activate the magic.

A Shard retains its spell and original Mana capacity if incorporated or transformed into an Imbued item. Furthermore, additonal Mana acquired from dots in the Imbued Item Merit is added to the latter.

Yantra: All Shards can serve as Yantras in spellcasting. Terrestrial Shards are treated as regular magical tools, while true Supernal Shards give a +2 bonus to spells of their Ruling Arcana. If a mage uses a Shard as a Yantra to cast a spell it possesses, this is increased to +3.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-27-2017, 01:27 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Did you just re-created here Assassin's Creed Pieces of Eden?

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      Did you just re-created here Assassin's Creed Pieces of Eden?
      Not intentionally, but I see what you mean.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Nice, I was thinking about converting these myself. Is there any advantage of incorporating a Shard beyond the +3 bonus on the creation roll? Does the item retain the 1 dot spell or the Shard's Mana capacity as a 3 dot Artifact?

2E Legacy Updates
        Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
        Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
        Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
          Nice, I was thinking about converting these myself. Is there any advantage of incorporating a Shard beyond the +3 bonus on the creation roll? Does the item retain the 1 dot spell or the Shard's Mana capacity as a 3 dot Artifact?
          Hmm. Actually, yeah. It should. Let me just add that in as a benefit.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Is this a remake of the Shards from the Supernal Tarot book? Seems pretty familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
              Is this a remake of the Shards from the Supernal Tarot book? Seems pretty familiar.
              Yep. It is.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
              X