Control Gravity + Velocity Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Gravity + Velocity Control

Just double checking I'm doing this spell combination properly.

If I have my mage cast Velocity Control and Control Gravity over an area, and have someone fall into a solid surface, how far would you have to fall to reach terminal velocity? Normally it's 1 bashing every 3 meters, capping out and becoming lethal at 30 meters. Would velocity control have an effect on that aspect at all?

The velocity change affects damage based on collisions.
    From the spell itself I'd say yes, or rather it wouldn't change the damage but you wouldn't have to go the whole 30 meters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

From the spell itself I'd say yes, or rather it wouldn't change the damage but you wouldn't have to go the whole 30 meters.
      Would it make sense to halve the distance necessary to reach terminal velocity per point of potency (1p 15 meters, 2p 8 meters, 3p 4 meters, and so on)

Comment

Terminal velocity is vt = sqrt((2mg)/(ρACd)). So, quadrupling gravity will double terminal velocity (and cut the time it takes to hit it by roughly a fourth). You could also reduce the drag coefficient (Cd) by a fourth to achieve the increase in vt without affecting the time to reach vt (much, you'd reach it slightly faster since it's asymptotic).

Matter could also affect vt since it's dependent on the mass of the object, its surface area, and the density of what the thing is falling through.

Keep in mind that after falling 30 meters you're going roughly 1/3 terminal velocity ( ~17 m/s vs a vt of ~53 m/s for a human).

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy focusing on Mind and Forces

Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy focusing on Matter and Prime

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
          Terminal velocity is vt = sqrt((2mg)/(ρACd)). So, quadrupling gravity will double terminal velocity (and cut the time it takes to hit it by roughly a fourth). You could also reduce the drag coefficient (Cd) by a fourth to achieve the increase in vt without affecting the time to reach vt (much, you'd reach it slightly faster since it's asymptotic).

Matter could also affect vt since it's dependent on the mass of the object, its surface area, and the density of what the thing is falling through.

Keep in mind that after falling 30 meters you're going roughly 1/3 terminal velocity ( ~17 m/s vs a vt of ~53 m/s for a human).
          Ok, but how would you have the mechanics work in game?

Comment

Originally posted by CofDave View Post

Would it make sense to halve the distance necessary to reach terminal velocity per point of potency (1p 15 meters, 2p 8 meters, 3p 4 meters, and so on)
            This seems like a pretty simple solution mechanically. It avoids working out how far they've fallen and how much speed they've generated/multiplied/etc.

Comment

Less distance traveled, maximum falling damage anyway. Instead of calculating actual gravity with scientific notation, how fast does a falling person fall in the game? 3 meters per round? That would be the speed factor effected by Velocity Control, so 3 meters counts as 6 for one Potency, though the spell wouldn't have less than 3 Potency so 3 meters of falling would equal 24, I think. Assuming that's an accurate example at all.
              Last edited by Mrmdubois; 03-02-2017, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Do you have a page number for the 1B/3m and capping at 30m?

As for how I'd have it work, mechanically, I'd honestly have to look at the rules as written, the way the spells that affect gravity are written, and translate "artist" to "physicist".

One of the "problems" with any game is that the models of physical systems are very rough, so trying to do things that alter how they work causes everything to sort of just collapse without a lot of work. For example, how would changing gravity affect terminal velocity with the RAW, assuming damage caps at 10B at 30m? Well, who knows, because a free falling human is not moving anywhere near terminal velocity after only 30m, capping the damage there (if that is indeed the cap) is completely arbitrary and not based on actual physical systems; so the cap alteration could be equally arbitrary, up to and including simply not changing, ever.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy focusing on Mind and Forces

Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy focusing on Matter and Prime

Comment

It caps at 10B? Sounds weird...

Comment

Working...
                  X