Perfected Adept [2e Fan Conversion]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfected Adept [2e Fan Conversion]

Here is my take on the Perfected Adept, all comments are welcomed.

Perfected Adept (2E Fan Conversion) – Mage: the Awakening 1e, pg. 349
    (See the Perfected Adept starting on Page 349 of the Mage: the Awakening 1st edition)

History: (See the Perfected Adept starting on Page 349 of the Mage: the Awakening 1st edition)

Origins
    Parent Path or Order: Obrimos or Adamantine Arrow

Nickname: Monks

Background: (See the Perfected Adept starting on Page 349 of the Mage: the Awakening 1st edition)

Appearance: (See the Perfected Adept starting on Page 349 of the Mage: the Awakening 1st edition)

Doctrine
    Prerequisites: Gnosis 2, Life 2, Prime 1, Medicine 2, Brawl 2, Athletics 2, and the Ardent Hand merit.

Initiation: The perspective adept must display his dedication to perfecting his body and must pass a rigorous fitness test without the use of magic. He must also display his knowledge of at least one fighting style.

Organization: (See the Perfected Adept starting on Page 349 of the Mage: the Awakening 1st edition)

Theory: The body is a temple, keep it fit and clean and you will know happiness and fulfillment.

Magic
    Ruling Arcanum: Life

Yantras: The weapon of the adepts primary fighting style, A display of martial prowess +1, Analyzing the targets Chi flow +1.

Suggested Oblations: Rigorous martial arts practice, including sparring with other Perfected Adepts; feats of endurance, such as long-distance running, holding weights for long periods and exposure to the elements; exhibiting humility, such as serving another person for an hour by seeing to all his needs.

Attainments
    Perfected Adepts must devote themselves to study of the Life Arcanum, along with basic principles from the Prime Arcanum. This dedication allows them to control their bodies and the Chi that flows through it. In addition, their bodies must be physically fit (Athletics 3+) by time they reach the third Attainment. With the fourth attainment and higher, they must also have established competency with the martial arts (Brawl 3+).

First Attainment: Perfected Senses.
    Prerequisites: Initiate
    The Perfected Adept has learned to hone his senses to be better attuned to his environment, sensing things that others would overlook. By remaining still and concentrating on his surroundings he can sharpen one of his senses for near superhuman levels. This attainment is similarly to casting “Heighten Senses” adding his Life dots to his perception rolls, he may only have one sense enhanced by this ability at a time. To enhance a different sense take another activation and the original enhanced sense drops to normal. Each activation of this attainment takes an instant action and lasts as long as he concentrates. (Reach: Instant Casting)

Second Attainment: Destroy Foreign Bodies.
    Prerequisites: Gnosis 2, Life 2
    The Perfected Adept is able to control every aspect of his body and this includes his immune system. Upon obtaining this attainment he is able to purge his body of disease as if casting “Purge Illness”. Subtract his dot in Life from the severity level of the disease and if it is greater than the severity level his body destroys the disease before it can take effect, if it is less than the severity level lower the severity level by the Life dots. This is an instant action. (Reach: Instant Casting)
    Optional Arcanum: Forces 2
    The perfected Adept learn to push his body to the limits, allowing him to run just a little faster, jump a little higher and exert himself just a little longer. This attainment is similar to “Kinetic Efficiency” and the Adept gains a bonus on rolls to resist fatigue equal to Potency. Actions are less strenuous when moving so efficiently. He also Add the caster’s Forces dots to the total distance (in yards) covered on a jump, to the subject’s swimming and running Speed, and to any climbing rolls. Each activation of this attainment takes an instant action and lasts for 1 hour. (Reaches: Instant Casting, Advanced Duration)

Third Attainment: Body Temple
    Prerequisites: Gnosis 4, Life 3, Athletics 3
    At this level the Perfected Adept is able to control the various aspects of his body. By slowing down his breathing, each dot in Life halves the amount of oxygen he needs. Similarly by slowing down his heartrate he affects how fast foreign substances flows through his body, each dot in Life doubles the interval at which toxins affect him. By slowing down his metabolism he is able to sustain himself on less food, each dot in Life halves the amount of food needed and doubles the amount of time between deprivation or fatigue check. Additionally each dot in life halves the amount of time needed for natural to occur and adds +1 to his reflexes. The adept may also eliminate the scent that his body gives off. These effects are similar to “Body Control” and each activation of this attainment takes an instant action and lasts for 1 hour. (Reaches: Instant Casting, Advanced Duration)
    Optional Arcanum: Forces 3 & Prime 1
    If the Perfected Adept also has prime 1 then he can see the chi flow within himself and other around him. He gains the use of “Supernal Vision” with an indefinite duration, although it can only be used to analyze living creatures. In other words, he can take an extended action (one turn per roll) to view auras and scrutinize people to discern the strength of their chi (that is, how many Mana points they currently have in their pool), but can’t analyze place-based Resonance. Use the rules for scrutinizing beings, with a target number equal to the being’s Mana points to be able to determine the target’s total current points.
    With Forces 3 the Perfected Adept can wrap his hands, feet, knees, whatever body part he can use to strike a target (including a head butt) with a kinetic field, this is similar to “Kinetic Blow”. This does not extend to held weapons held by the adept. This takes an extended action and can knock the target prone. (Reaches: Kinetic Blow (Instant Cast, Knocked Down), Supernal Vision (Advanced Duration x2))

Fourth Attainment: Chi Force
    Prerequisites: Gnosis 6, Life 4, Brawl 3
    The mage controls the flow of his chi, boosting one specific Physical Attribute, similar to the Life 3 “Honing the Form” spell. When this attainment is gained, the mage must choose a single Attribute (Strength, Dexterity or Stamina) that he wishes to concentrate upon in the perfection of his body. He cannot later choose a different Attribute.
    To gain the boost thereafter, the mage performs an instant action to channel his chi, and his Life dots are added to the chosen Attribute. The effect lasts for 1 hour per activation. (Reaches: Instant Casting, Advanced Duration)
    Optional Arcanum: Forces 4
    If the Perfected Adept also has forces 4 he can use his chi at a distance similarly to a “Telekinetic Strike”. This must be aimed and barriers will stop it. The concussive force of this the target to the ground. This attainment takes an instant action the Perfected Adept to focus his chi and inflict his Forces dots in damage. (Reaches: Instant Casting, Knocked Down)

Fifth Attainment: Perfect Body
    Prerequisites: Gnosis 8, Life 5
    As with Chi Force, above, but the mage can now improves the other two Physical Attribute. He can even use both of these attainments at the same time, as long as he spends separate instant actions to activate the powers. (Reaches: Instant Casting, Advanced Duration, Additional Attribute)
    Optional Arcanum: Forces 5
    If the Perfected Adept also has forces 5 his Telekinetic Strike does Lethal damage. Also he is able to slow incoming projectiles (ie bullets, arrows, etc) reducing their damage by his Forces dots. This is similar to the “Velocity Control” but can only be used to slow incoming projectiles. This is an instant action that can be used reflexively. (Reaches: Instant Casting, Reflexive)

I too loved the Perfected Adept Legacy from 1E, but I noticed you have assigned a lot of reaches. From my understanding the Free Reaches are based on the Dot Level of the Attainment versus the Dot level of the spell.

So, essentially a Forces 4 Spell that is a fifth dot attainment has 2 Free Reaches while a Forces 2 Spell that is a 2nd dot attainment has 1 Free Reach, which typically is assigned to Instant Casting unless otherwise noted in the attainment description indicating a larger amount of time to use the effect. Aside from that I like how the theme and feel of the legacy has been adapted into 2E.

"Teamwork makes the dream work!"

Comment

I did the reaches correct I believe.

First Attainment: Heighten Senses = 1 dot spell in a 1 dot attainment = 1 reach = Instant Casting.

Second Attainment: Purge Illness = 2 dot spell in a 2 dot Attainment = 1 reach = Instant Casting.
      Second Attainment optional: Kinetic Efficiency = 1 dot spell in a 2 dot attainment = 2 reach = Instant Casting + Advanced Duration

Third Attainment: Body Control = 2 dot spell in a 3 dot attainment = 2 reach = Instant Casting + Advanced Duration
      Third Attainment optional: Supernal Vision = 1 dot spell in a 3 dot attainment = 3 reach = Permanent (Advanced Duration x2) I could still do 1 reach here.
      Third Attainment optional: Kinetic Blow = 2 dot spell in a 3 dot attainment = 2 reach = Instant Casting + Knocked Down

Fourth Attainment: Honing the Form = 3 dot spell in a 4 dot attainment = 2 reach = Instant Casting + Advanced Duration
      Fourth Attainment optional: Telekinetic Strike = 3 dot spell in a 4 dot attainment = 2 reach = Instant Casting + Knocked Down (this is an aimed spell)

Fifth Attainment: Honing the Form = 3 dot spell in a 5 dot attainment = 3 reach = Instant Casting + Advanced Duration + Additional Attribute.
      Fifth Attainment optional: Velocity Control = 3 dot spell in a 5 dot attainment = 3 reach = Instant Casting + Reflexive

I believe that is all correct..

Comment

You are right! I am going to steal this for my own use if that is ok.

"Teamwork makes the dream work!"

Comment

Sure go for it

Comment

I love the work you've made I too chose mostly similar things in my own update, but you've missed out on a couple of important elements, primarily related to the fact that many of your spells are actually duration-primary while instead you've made them attainments as potency-primary. Here's what I would change:

First Attainment: Good as it is, move Supernal Vision from Third Attainment (which has two optionals) to the First Attainment. Identical activaiton to Heighten senses

Second Attainment: Kinetic Efficiency is Duration Primary, however not worthy of a ritual to activate, move that advanced duration to shifting the primary factor to potency, so you can take an Instant Action to boost your ability to sprint, jump, or swim for a few seconds. For more persistent effects, spells, or make it take a ritual to activate instead

Third Attainment: Body Control is also Duration Primary, use that reach which is currently in Instant Casting to shift the Primary Factor to Potency. So your character needs to perform the ritual either daily (or weekly at Life 4) to get persistent Body Control benefits. Kinetic blow has similar problems, however it actually still works pretty well with only Potency 2-3, so I think you might be happy with it either as a short-combat length Attainment. However if you're caught in an ambush, you'll probably have wished that it was a ritual you could have activated earleir in the week, month, or year, so I'd consider changing that.

Fourth Attainment: Once again, Duration-primary. Your reach is fine though, adding your Life dots isn't really that important compared to a simple +3, it's still capped by Gnosis-derived maximums, probably a waste to have Instant Casting though, so perhaps given that at this point your Gnosis is 6+ you change it to Potency Primary? To take advantage of the increased cap before needing the +2 reach option to exceed it.

Fifth Attainment: Honing the Form works again. Though given the fourth attainment I'd consider something else instead. Not sure you can enhance previous attainments with higher attainments, though for the Lethal Damage with Telekinetic Strike. Unwritten reach option for Velocity Control sounds fine to me.

tl;dr
            You forgot most of your emulated spells are Duration-Primary.
            Last edited by HerbertIsBestBert; 02-28-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

In staying with the flavor of the Perfected Adept, they were not meant to buff themselves for weeks at a time. But I see what you are saying. I will give it a look through and see what I can do to try and keep the flavor and yet take the Primary spell factor into consideration.

Comment

It's quite similar to my own adaptation, but I went a bit more fighty and healy...

Comment

Working...
                X