Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage 2E Character Creator

Hey everyone,

Here is a Mage 2nd Edition Character Creator program that allows you to make characters, save them, and re-load them for further adjustments and needs. Some things to be aware of regarding this program:

- It is not 100% bug free, though I like to think it is . If you do find bugs please let me know so I can work on this.
    - You cannot trade Merits for Gnosis, this a feature I have house-ruled in my game so it extends to this creator
    - Banishers/The Mad are considered Orders and have some minor effects such as The Mad with 0 Wisdom and Banishers using Integrity
    - Increases Gnosis requires Arcane Experience, not a mixture of both or regular XP
    - Currently there is no PDF export, while that is nice I feel that it is silly since it would be unchangeable in PDF and if you did it would not change on the program

Use the link provided below to gain access to the creator:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5a6vs9m1x6...eator.zip?dl=0

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Taldorblackfire; 03-06-2017, 09:25 PM.

"Teamwork makes the dream work!"

Also, just a quick user's guide for those that do give it a try:

Arcane Button actives Spending Arcane Experience vs Spend XP button which spends regular experience.
    Right-clicking in the large box next to the dots for a skill shows a list of suggested specialties, all pulled from the Chronicles of Darkness book.
    There are no checks for Merit pre-requisites, so use at your own risk.
    If you have a Legacy and place that Legacy Arcana in the box on the 2nd tab, it provides the XP refund for purchasing a dot in that Arcana.

Comment

For whatever reason, I cannot add dots to gnosis, despite having the xp to do so. I also cannot gain arcane beats. In addition to this, I cannot raise my skills above certain levels, despite having the xp to do so.
      The generator also will not let me remove dots from a ruling arcanum after adding them, in addition to the fact that after adding normal beginning dots to those arcana it didn't require xp to be spent to raise it further.
      After spending some xp, it wouldn't let me raise my attributes any further despite having the xp to do so.
      It also will not allow me to add merit dots, despite having the xp to do so.

Edit: ok, so I have to press the button on the first tab in order to spend xp anywhere. Got it. That helps, some. However, gnosis, for whatever reason, can only be raised with arcane xp. That isn't what the rulebook says.
      If I directly add in xp, it randomly deletes it if I switch tabs. This is a problem for arcane xp since it cannot be added via the beat button.
      Upon further testing, the randomly deletion of xp also raises the count of spent xp.
      Upon further testing, I was able to raise an arcanum for free. I had the xp to raise it by one dot, but it didn't spend the xp from the xp pool.
      Last edited by Falcon777; 03-05-2017, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Hey Falcon777,

Thanks for trying out my program and finding a couple of bugs. Weird, the arcane beat issue was not ever an issue but looks like the event was removed when this button was pressed.

As indicated in my first post, Gnosis can only be increased with Arcane Experience.

- Increases Gnosis requires Arcane Experience, not a mixture of both or regular XP
        I will definitely look into this XP problem, I am not sure what is going on there with reporting incorrect values, sounds like I need to just do some random deletions to see if I can get this issue to appear for me as well.

I assume your issue with the Merits/Attributes were corrected once the Spend XP button was pressed.

Comment

Hey Falcon777,

I discovered the issue with the XP and the dropbox link has been updated to allow downloading.

Thanks!

Comment

The system still spends xp without raising arcana when I go to spend either normal or arcane xp on arcana. It does not matter whether this is a ruling arcanum or a common one. My process for this is to raise the xp, switch to the attributes tab to click on the spend xp button, or the arcane button, and then switch to the merits and powers tab and click on an arcanum's left most empty dot (i.e. if I'm trying to initiate the character into an arcanum, I click on the initiate dot level of that arcanum).
            Last edited by Falcon777; 03-06-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Hey Falcon777,

I see now what you are saying. That has been fixed now as well. The download link has been updated. There was an issue with trying to become an initiate with experience.

Thanks!

Comment

Got some notes, though just stylistic ones, did not encounter any bugs

Attempting to raise a thing when you don't have the XP for it reports you do not have enough merits to raise it. Perhaps "You do not have enough experiences to raise your <thing> that high." when either the Spend XP or Arcane modes are active.

Would you consider adding a cheat sheet to the bottom like CofD character sheets generally have? The 'Attributes 5/4/3 * Skills 11/7/4 ...' thing.

And this might be too finicky, but could you change the mana and willpower to labels instead of textboxes? The blinking cursor is too ... there XD (or does this cause problems with colouring? a minor note in any case)

All in all, great work again

Comment

Hey Aeryes,

Awesome that you found no bugs! I am hoping those are all removed. All items should say "You do not have enough experience to increase your <thing>." I noticed that Gnosis mentioned merits instead of experience, but this has been changed now!

As for the cheat sheet, I wish I could but space is really the enemy on trying to make everything as minimal as possible. I see your point as it would kind of be nice to know what boosts what though.

I have removed the blinking cursor for the mana and willpower though, so you can rest easy there! The download link has been updated to incorporate the new program.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X