Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indefinite Duration on Living Target

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    True, spells that a Mage is maintaining that are Indefinite are considered to be relinquished unsafely after they die.

    Comment


    • #17
      Which is why you should safely relinquish your spells if you're going to go to the trouble of making them indefinite.

      Comment


      • #18
        True, safe relinquishment is much better, but it incurs a price. Is this permanent spell worth the cost of a WP dot and the 1 XP you need to get it back? Some times it might be and other times it may not seem like it.

        Comment


        • #19
          Sometimes you want a spell to be Indefinite not because you want it to go on forever, but because you want it to be better at Clash of Wills. I don't find it uncommon to see a Clash-of-Will reliant spell be pumped to INDEFINITE only for it to be cancelled after a round or two or within the same game-day.
          Like, if your friend is stalked by a Mind-Controlling monster, and you plan on taking out the monster tommorow, it isn't terribly dumb of you to create a runic circle in your sanctum, put the friend inside it, cast a Indefinite Mind Shield on the friend using runic circle as the yantra, and then unsafely relinqish the spell so when you confront the beast, you have one spell slot control more at your disposal. Your friend is free to wander outside the circle (you only need to be inside circles area for the spell casting, not spell's duration). Then, when you are done, you will just erase the circle and the spell will get cancelled. You don't plan on letting the beast stalk your friend forever; you just want to make sure each attempt of mind controlling him is countered by the *strongest possible* Clash of Wills.
          Problems start when you don't come back from confronting the beast, and the runic circle in your sanctum never gets broken.

          Comment


          • #20
            Does the person who is doomed to be a indefinite frog forget the spell has cast on him one scene after its been cast and does he then rationalize it as he has always been a frog due to Quiescence? Therefore giving you only 1 scene after the spell is cast to try get help or then no more dissonance?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by totalgit View Post
              Does the person who is doomed to be a indefinite frog forget the spell has cast on him one scene after its been cast and does he then rationalize it as he has always been a frog due to Quiescence? Therefore giving you only 1 scene after the spell is cast to try get help or then no more dissonance?
              Quiescence only kicks in after a Sleeper is done being exposed to or forced to remember magic happening. If they're turned into a frog they will remember that they've been targeted by magic for the entire duration.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by WHW View Post
                Because it makes Mages go, cast Indefinite spells on things, and then die while they are up so 10 years later, spell becomes so tainted it turns a local murder of crows into a monster or something interesting like that.
                Please tell more; I don't find anything about taint on the spells.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                  Please tell more; I don't find anything about taint on the spells.
                  Relinquishing a spell unsafely causes its effects to warp itself, its subjects, and/or the world around it over time in a similar fashion to Paradoxes, and the effect is more pronounced the more it exceeded its caster's free Reaches — and Indefinite Duration requires two Reaches on its own for most spells.


                  Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                  Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    Relinquishing a spell unsafely causes its effects to warp itself, its subjects, and/or the world around it over time in a similar fashion to Paradoxes, and the effect is more pronounced the more it exceeded its caster's free Reaches — and Indefinite Duration requires two Reaches on its own for most spells.
                    But that isn't "tainting" it much. Those are spent to make spell stronger or weaker, but don't change it's nature. For example, Indefinite spell to conceal trapdoor can conceal entire room or make concealment weaker, but it can't make people disappear or stuff like that.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                      Please tell more; I don't find anything about taint on the spells.
                      If you have the book, see "Spell Control" on p. 118 and "Paradox" on p. 115, in that order.


                      Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                        But that isn't "tainting" it much. Those are spent to make spell stronger or weaker, but don't change it's nature. For example, Indefinite spell to conceal trapdoor can conceal entire room or make concealment weaker, but it can't make people disappear or stuff like that.
                        I just saw your response. The "Anomalies" table on p. 116 shows that haywire Spells can do all kinds of stuff. That's why Conditions and Abyssal Environmental Tilts are mentioned within it.


                        Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          This of course explains why Sleep walkers are now worth so much to Mages, they can safely maintain an indefinite spell without it weighing on the Mage.
                          Question; if the Sleep walker dies is the spell unsafely released, or just unraveled, or does it fall back on the Mage?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
                            This of course explains why Sleep walkers are now worth so much to Mages, they can safely maintain an indefinite spell without it weighing on the Mage.
                            Question; if the Sleep walker dies is the spell unsafely released, or just unraveled, or does it fall back on the Mage?
                            I would assume that just like with a Mage it's unsafely relinquished.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Now that would open a real Pandora's box.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X