No announcement yet.

Mechanical Effects of Mage Sight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since the paragraph isn't logical it must be assumed that it was a typo and they didn't mean Mind they meant Forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
      Since the paragraph isn't logical it must be assumed that it was a typo and they didn't mean Mind they meant Forces.
      That's what I have thought too.

Comment

Okay, now after I read this on more time, I've lost the track of meaning of author's thought completely. Help me out, please?

For example, a light-based invisibility spell would conceal a target from Force Sight, but Life Sight could still detect the living being, with or without the assistance of photons.
        Here, if we replace "Mind" with "Force", the suggestion seems to be that Veiling Practice in Arcanum protects only from Arcanum Sight. So, if subject invisible, you can't detect bending of photons, but you still can feel his life, sense his thoughts, etc.

Likewise, some vampires employ a kind of mental “invisibility” that causes observers to ignore them. This power would conceal a target from Forces Sight (it isn’t light-based) or Time Sight, but not Mind Sight (since both the concealment power and the Arcanum are working on the same principles).
        And here, the meaning is completely reversed: the suggestion seems to be that Veiling Practice in Arcanum does not protects only from Arcanum Sight - every other Arcanum Sight is blocked! So, if subject invisible, you can detect bending of photons, but can't feel his life, sense his thoughts, etc.

Which reading is correct? Both are kind of logical in their own way, but second makes Veiling much more powerful - for example, nobody but other Forces user can detect invisible mage, and so on.
        Last edited by Dark Archon; 03-11-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Someone somewhere someday unpacked this section and I think there was some sensible conclusion to it. I don't remember where or when. I think it involved Mrmdubois, as usual when good things are said. I remember this specific issue being deciphered or close to deciphered...

Comment

Dark Archon I think Active Mage Sight entitles you to a CoW against an effect that would fall under the purview of the arcana that the Mage is using for his AMS. Some forms of Veiling bypass the CoW entirely though, so AMS Life bypasses your Forces invisibility by picking up on the signals that Life can find since you as a person are made up of more than just light bending or reflecting around your body to conceal it. You can't see the invisible person because Life doesn't care about photons, but you can know a living body is there (From our earlier discussions I would say that the person hiding with Forces would have to be giving off sensory information that your Life Sight could work with, scent or hearing for instance). If you used Forces you could get a CoW and if you win you'd be rewarded with bypassing their Veiling effect altogether, in other words you could see the invisible person, the illusion no longer affects you. Some Veiling effects can only be perceived after they lose out in a CoW, the vampire effect or Incognito for instance "edit" your brain's memories or processes to ignore the thing you're looking at so even if you can see them with Forces or Life or whatever you'll just ignore the information because of the mental effect. A lot of Veiling effects have this setup, for instance it doesn't matter how strong your Forces sight is you won't be able to detect a Fate Veiling effect without using Fate AMS, and then you can't pierce the effect without wining in a CoW.

Comment

Working...
            X