Best build for a Witch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best build for a Witch?

Mage: the Awakening is a little more difficult to make a sort of witch type of character than it was in Ascension (the Verbena be the obvious choice). I have been reading the core rule book and found that the Acanthus are inspired by European witchcraft. Reading through their description makes that rather evident, but their Arcana are somewhat lacking in encompassing all of what witchcraft (historically) has been. Reading through the other Arcana, they all have elements of what witchcraft is: curses, conjuration, flying, divination, etc..

So, how should I go about creating a more witchcraft themed character? Has anyone attempted this? If so, what did you do and how well did it turn out?

Originally posted by Toreador View Post
    Reading through the other Arcana, they all have elements of what witchcraft is: curses, conjuration, flying, divination, etc..
    That's kind of the point.

One of the easiest thing to do though would be to take the Shadowname Merit and then use the Yantra bonus it provides to make your "witchiness" empower your spells as a Yantra. Also, or you could go FC and take the Techne merit to modify your Yantras such that it works with covens of Sleeper "witches" whatever that looks like. And finally you could take a gander at or create a witch themed legacy.

Comment

I can't really think of something more witchcraft-y than curses, which is what Fate magic is all about.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

A question you might want to answer is just what you want out of your witchcraft.

Most witchcraft was herbalism and midwifery; times when the world was uncertain and you'd do anything from wear magic amulets to smear your body with crocodile dung if it gave you a better chance of survival. Divination was also popular for the same reason. The whole "flying around" bit probably comes from ergot-induced drug trips; same thing that powered the Eleusinian Mysteries.

In the end, though, if you want someone who is an actual, classical witch, they're someone who knows which plants to chew on when you have a fever and how to handle a breach birth. That kind of knowledge isn't as valuable in a day and age where you can buy a bottle of ibuprofen or have hospitals full of trained doctors, OB-GYNs, and midwives, but that was valuable and mysterious enough to be called magic back in the day.

Honestly, most of what you want can be gained just by doing what Mrm suggests; choose a Shadow Name to encompass what you're after and run with it.

Comment

Acancus Free Council, ••• Fate, • Time, • • Life, Imbued Item: Broom Stick (Levitation) •••••.

Comment

Changeling 2 is actually better for a stereotypical Witch, Witchtooth/Windwing Dual Kith Darkling.

Comment

It's increasingly evident that Occult skill allows access to certain lower case magic by virtue of having it at high dots. "Violent Skill" entry of Occult in Hurt Locker for example mentions that even a fully mortal nonsupernatural mortal can craft magical charms and wards that are actually, well, magical. Lower case M magical.

Comment

That's in the CofD core too.

Comment

If I was doing a witch I would use a Thyrsus with a Legacy that adds Fate.
                  ​Yes, other Arcanum would help fill out the character but at its core I picture a witch being someone who works with healing, animals, some shape shifting and working with the unseen natural world (Spirits). Add Fate for curses and manipulating fortune and that is, to me, the classic witch.
                  Mind and Forces are more the image of Warlocks and Wizards.
                  Last edited by 2ptTakrill; 03-04-2017, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Plus, what curses you couldn't do with Life, you could by binding a spirit to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
                      That's in the CofD core too.
                      Would you mind telling me on what page? I've searched yesterday for this but couldn't find.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

Understandably; it's scattered throughout the book. Page 100, though, has rules for building equipment and includes things such as:

-A circle of protection
                        -A protective amulet
                        -A werewolf trap

Likewise, the Ephemeral Beings section on page 139-140 notes how mortals can summon, exorcise, ward, and bind all manner of spirits.

Comment

Fate/Time is classic Witchcraft. Just go with either a Weather based legacy or create a legacy that has Life as your third favored and you're golden.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
                            ​Yes, other Arcanum would help fill out the character but at its core I picture a witch being someone who works with healing, animals, some shape shifting and working with the unseen natural world (Spirits). Add Fate for curses and manipulating fortune and that is, to me, the classic witch.
                            Mind and Forces are more the image of Warlocks and Wizards.
                            ​Or Acanthus with a legacy that adds Life, just make your secondary attainments require certain lower levels of Spirit. Bonus is you get Time as favored like most Witches.
                            Last edited by Kumiko; 03-05-2017, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
                              There is literally canonical Thysus and Fate Legacy of 'classical', European witches called Sodality of the Tor ( from Legacies: the Sublime book ). They are most numerous in England and Germany, but are everywhere there was European colonists ( and their witches ). I may help with their 2E fan update if anyone is interested.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                              My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Working...
                              X