[2E] Power of Sympathies - Or how you cannot forget Nakatomi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Power of Sympathies - Or how you cannot forget Nakatomi

This topic is about how, basically, in Awakened society nothing can be forgotten just by existence of Space and Time magic. Example comes from Tokyo Mystery of who was Nakatomi Hierarch from 2E corebook - but it's only illustration of 'problem' with rules-to-setting translation. In Fallen Blossoms Dark Era - 'shogunate historical setting in Tokyo' - there is answer to the question of Nakatomi identity. I will not spoil it here, but from analyzing Arcana possibilities I just cannot see how modern, XXI century mages would not know how was their famous local leader 500 years earlier. Or rather still being unsolved Mystery. Need to see Nakatomi? Just find item from Edo period - like real katana or samurai armor and item from modern Tokyo - and take one Space and one Time mage. Space one cast Scrying Window on Old Tokyo town area, for example Emperor court. Time mage use ancient item to have Sympathy with Edo period. Voila, we can all the time see how Edo was rising from fishing town. And Nakatomi was somewhere there. Take few days of this research, and Mystery will be nonMystery. So it should not be Mystery in the first place.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-05-2017, 12:17 PM.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
    MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
    MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

As I and others said in the Fallen Blossoms thread, the fact that it still is a Mystery is probably half of the Mystery in an of itself. Records corrupted, people distancing themselves from history, and magical oddities like temporal Ansho could all combine to keep Nakatomi mysterious. If the combo you've pointed out here works as intended (and I'm going to let others analyze that), that just enhances the mystery to me, not diminishing it or breaking willing suspension of disbelief.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

Seconded. A lot of records did go up in flames before the present day.

That said, I have a feeling that part of the reason Nakatomi is subject to a Mystery is because other Awakened might be going out of their way to obfuscate the facts to strengthen their own political position. Heck, the predominant faction in Nakatomi-En would practically lose all their influence in one day if the revelation went public.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I don't think that's how Temporal Sympathy works...

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

If you want the obvious answer, Nakatomi ascended. Same deal as the Corpus Author.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            If you want the obvious answer, Nakatomi ascended. Same deal as the Corpus Author.
            And for an added benefit if you go with this explaination, depending on how Nakatomi's ascension impacted the timeline, all three of the modern theories could technically be correct at the same time.

CofD booklists:
            Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
              Seconded. A lot of records did go up in flames before the present day.
              No problem - just find me one original katana or armor from the period - it does not need to be from Edo / Tokyo area even, just age of it is important. I assume that at least one item from 500 years before survive to modern era in some private Sleepers collection in whole Japan. If not, mages of Mysterium would keep sustaining at least one in Atheneum with Time or Matter magic.

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
              That said, I have a feeling that part of the reason Nakatomi is subject to a Mystery is because other Awakened might be going out of their way to obfuscate the facts to strengthen their own political position. Heck, the predominant faction in Nakatomi-En would practically lose all their influence in one day if the revelation went public.
              This I can see in the setting - I just point that obfuscating this whole Nakatomi thing should took large portion of factions day-to-day routine then, as it this easy to point to the original way.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-05-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                I don't think that's how Temporal Sympathy works...
                From my understanding, you would need to actually had some relic from Nakatomi to cast Postcognition on, not just a random antique from the Edo period. Or somehow go full Dr. Who/Back to the Future.

Comment

Originally posted by EW-Matias View Post
                  From my understanding, you would need to actually had some relic from Nakatomi to cast Postcognition on, not just a random antique from the Edo period. Or somehow go full Dr. Who/Back to the Future.

Why? Cannot you cast on the period item Space Scrying to look around it and 'teleport' your view point to proper Edo across space distance when seeing in the past?

Remember, we do not look for the Nakatomi herself by this method - we just look over Emperor Palace, where Edo Consilium surely would be. But looking over 'footage material' we surely would found mages that would have contact with local Hierarch.

Comment

You don't need a relic. Just cast poscognition on the area with a current picture of the place. You don't get the bonuses for a good sympathy, but you pronably won't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

No problem - just find me one original katana or armor from the period - it does not need to be from Edo / Tokyo area even, just age of it is important. I assume that at least one item from 500 years before survive to modern era in some private Sleepers collection in whole Japan. If not, mages of Mysterium would keep sustaining at least one in Atheneum with Time or Matter magic.

This I can see in the setting - I just point that obfuscating this whole Nakatomi thing should took large portion of factions day-to-day routine then, as it this easy to point to the original way.
                      1) Any object that is from that era would get you easy scrying access to whoever had that item, and not much else. Trying to see Nakatomi from a scry of a farmers hoe or something like that is not impossible, but you'd basically have to wrench far and hard away from your base point. It also probably doesn't help you if Nakatomi has preventative measures against being scryed up at the time-and paranoia about attacks from the future or past are serious things in the setting.

2) It's also worth noting that Nakatomi is just an icon to modern mages outside of her Mystery-people use her to argue their political stances much like Jesus has been used to argue for every sort of political situation under the sun. If modern mages found out what she was really like, they'd probably ignore it and just keep on keeping on.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
                      Working on:The Hedge
                      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Kino's Journey

Comment

we just look over Emperor Palace, where Edo Consilium surely would be.
                        The Emperor lived in Kyoto at this point.

Also, a palace seems like a really bad location for your secret society; I doubt the Shogun rents the palace for functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The Emperor lived in Kyoto at this point.

Also, a palace seems like a really bad location for your secret society; I doubt the Shogun rents the palace for functions.
                          Also the Consilium meeting place that is surely one of the places mages are most paranoid about seems like a really bad place to try and magically intrude on.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
                          Working on:The Hedge
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                            Also the Consilium meeting place that is surely one of the places mages are most paranoid about seems like a really bad place to try and magically intrude on.
                            They still go to the meetings. You do not have have to spy into Consilium meeting place - just look over it's entrance.

Comment

Why? Cannot you cast on the period item Space Scrying to look around it and 'teleport' your view point to proper Edo across space distance when seeing in the past?
                              How you even can, if Temporal Sympathy can only be used on Time spells that call for it and other spells Combined with them?

Comment

Working...
                              X