Hoping to get some help on Lasting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HardcoreHannes View Post
    Your second paragraph is actually exactly my reasoning. Damaging spells are basically magical knifes (whatever weapons) the mage gashes someone with. I think the same is true for Life-Force Assault, you are rending the pattern of a subject with magic, so the magic acts as a weapon.
    That's not the way I see it, though, in retrospect, I could have used a better example.

Originally posted by HardcoreHannes View Post
    I don't see how it would follow that every spell is lasting from this. If I use Mind to implement false memories into a subject, the memory as well as the process of connecting the memory to the brain of the subject are made out of magic and when that magic dissolves, so does the false memory.
    Ah, my version of that spell does not implant a false memory. Instead, it warps the mind of a subject, so the magic acts as a tool that sculpts false memories into being. Hence, a Lasting false memory springs into being simply because I opted for semantics that seemingly put my spell at a remove from its intended effect. That's the way I see the whole "Life-Force Assault is just a magic weapon" notion, and that's why I call it specious.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs View Post
      None of that actually matters. It is acceptable to simply state damage is lasting as a rule.
      Agreed in full.

My preference is to tie logically niche case rules to the broader rules which are based on examples and explanations within the book. It isn't required.
      My preference would be to simply have the rules, and let magic be capricious and mysterious in-game. I don't really see a need for magic to be more consistent than is necessary to tell interesting stories, so long as a robust set of rules keeps game-play fair (consistency being one of the cornerstones of fairness).
      Last edited by Fortunatus; 03-07-2017, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Life Force Assault messes with bodily functions enough to cause varied forms of tissue damage. It may simultaneously briefly stop air or blood flow, make muscles pull each other apart until they tear, make your kindneys and liver stop working or make your blood preasure so high your arteries burst. When all those eefects end and your body resumes normal functioning, you find it's pretty wrecked.

Comment

Originally posted by EW-Matias View Post
          Life Force Assault messes with bodily functions enough to cause varied forms of tissue damage. It may simultaneously briefly stop air or blood flow, make muscles pull each other apart until they tear, make your kindneys and liver stop working or make your blood preasure so high your arteries burst. When all those eefects end and your body resumes normal functioning, you find it's pretty wrecked.
          You and I interpret rending a Pattern differently. C'est la vie.

Let's get back to making a list of objective rules that work well, rather than attempting to justify those rules with game metaphysics.
          Last edited by Fortunatus; 03-07-2017, 10:40 PM. Reason: grammar; it's a thing

Comment

Originally posted by Fortunatus View Post
            My preference would be to simply have the rules, and let magic be capricious and mysterious in-game. I don't really see a need for magic to be more consistent than is necessary to tell interesting stories, so long as a robust set of rules keeps game-play fair (consistency being one of the cornerstones of fairness).
            I think that is a requirement for the rules.

Comment

I think that is a requirement for the rules.
              Then we differ on that (assuming I understand what you mean by "that"). No biggie. I'll bow out of that conversation, as it's not really going anywhere and I'm clearly in the minority. I'll stick to using my not-so-copious free time seeing if I can poke holes in what you've put together so far, on a purely rules basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortunatus View Post

Then we differ on that (assuming I understand what you mean by "that"). No biggie. I'll bow out of that conversation, as it's not really going anywhere and I'm clearly in the minority. I'll stick to using my not-so-copious free time seeing if I can poke holes in what you've put together so far, on a purely rules basis.
                "That" being rules for fair gameplay. I'm not commenting on success.

Comment

Working...
                X