Mortality as an Obsession

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Isn't it possible they would just be Embraced at a later date, but still before the present time?
    Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that their vampirism can be made to have never occurred.

Comment

To the original question of an Obsession: It'd be a good idea to make a note of recurring themes in a character's Obsessions and treat those themes sort of like recurring Obsessions.

As an example, I have a player whose character is a Moros alchemist. Even if it's not a current Obsession, I'll offer A-Beats for alchemy-related activities, like "Get a sample of that man-eating plant to see what medicinal properties it has" or "Steal that tome of alchemical recipes". Shadow Names are good guides for that.

Edit: Pressed post too soon. For your player, mortality might be that recurring theme. Treat topics related to death, resurrection, and immortality as recurring themes and throw temptation Beats the player's way whenever the opportunity to learn more arises.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        Isn't it possible they would just be Embraced at a later date, but still before the present time?
        Sure, but then you could go back and prevent that embrace. With every repetition of this cycle, the point in the past when the embrace occurs will be a little closer to the present, until eventually they meet up.

Now, if a person continues to get embraced time after time despite repeated circumventions via time travel, that might make a good Mystery. Why is Fate determined to make this person a vampire?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          Now, if a person continues to get embraced time after time despite repeated circumventions via time travel, that might make a good Mystery. Why is Fate determined to make this person a vampire?
          Didn't you mean Destiny here? Fate is whole Arcanum, Destiny is particular trait of any living mortal ( and few items ) that it's 'pulling it' in particular way. Naming it's as Fate is like saying 'you stand on ground because of Forces, not gravity' - technically correct, as gravity is part of Forces. But still missing a point bit.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
          MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
          WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Seems like a pretty good Obsession for a Storyteller to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Didn't you mean Destiny here? Fate is whole Arcanum, Destiny is particular trait of any living mortal ( and few items ) that it's 'pulling it' in particular way. Naming it's as Fate is like saying 'you stand on ground because of Forces, not gravity' - technically correct, as gravity is part of Forces. But still missing a point bit.
              Words can have multiple meanings. When someone asks you what time it is, do you assume they are asking about the Arcanum?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Words can have multiple meanings. When someone asks you what time it is, do you assume they are asking about the Arcanum?
                1. In Mage context, terms written with Upper Case has other meaning than common one in Real Life. If you write 'Legacy' - you mean magical soulshaping, pased from master to student. If you write 'legacy', you mean all accomplishments particular character done and she passed on to the world, not only her souls changeing technique or magical prowess alone. Or other examples - Wisdom in Mage in not based on common folk wisdom. So if you wright Fate, you mean Fate Arcanum - and Fate Arcanum in Mage is much broader than Destiny alone - it also improbability, storytelling narrations or even curses and hexes. Destiny is only small part of whole Fate Arcanum. Most mysterious ones, equated often to 'God(s) will', but still only part of greater Arcanum.

2. If someone how ask me question is from Mage setting, I start to being prepared for magical nuke Seers must have send him with and is controlled by Profane Urin. Or at least I suspect this as character - and went on accordingly in game.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
                MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
                WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Also, almost all Mages start with ability to Summon Supernal Being [I haven't actually seen a 2/2/2 start in practice yet]. Supernal Beings are rad and have powers way beyond what a single ordinary Mage may do. They offer excellent way of introducing concepts and enabling plots like this without going too much outside of Mage game. "Death God gave you instructions to unvampire this one specific person" also helps with keeping the ability to do so one use and unique.

Comment

Working...
                  X