Mage Setting: The Consilium of the Pearl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage Setting: The Consilium of the Pearl

So I would like to share the current chronicle I'm running, which is set in Manila within the so-called Consilium of the Pearl. Manila is a chaotic and cramped Asian capital, and this has reflected in mage politics. We've got 6 players in a mixed-order cabal including one Nameless, so you can imagine the epic mage bickering and other reasons for petty and great conflict. Most of all, it has been a labor of love as we continue to do world-building with each session. Will start with a bit of history:

MANILA, PHILIPPINES
    Manila's mages are drawn to secrets like flies to rotting fruit. Yet for all their obsessions, they cannot explain why spirits keep flooding into the urban slums, or why the monsoon typhoons answer to Supernal names. The Consilium of the Pearl - a nod to the city's old sobriquet 'Pearl of the Orient' - does what it can, but is weighed down by dissension and red tape. Unsurprisingly, most willworkers treat Lex Magica as more suggestion and less law while apostates, Nameless, and wands-for-hire gather in greater numbers. Meanwhile the Pentacle parrots empty promises and emptier alliances struck in better times. Their alliance is failing just as As the Seers tighten their grip on the metropolis' 13 million souls. Surrounded by jealous sorcerer's and a city teeming with danger and promise, it is left to the defiant to chart their own future.

SECRET HISTORY

Part 1 - Crown and Cross
    Manila's Awakened - 'Mulat' in Filipino - had long practiced their fragile miracles alongside forgotten sultans and rajas. When Spanish conquistadors claimed the region for crown and cross in 1570, the Mulat persisted beneath the veil of Catholicism. By the twilight of empire three hundred years later, local mages had formed secret guilds, Catholic devotional cults, and other hidden societies called cofradias. Groups such as El Gremio delos Pescadores and Las Imaculadas were notorious in Manila's magical underground, The Mysteries they pursued took them across and beyond the city, which was an exotic mix of European sophistication, Oriental mysticism, and native superstition.

As they grew in power, the Mulat sought to imitate the magocratic councils of Madrid and Paris - idealistic efforts that would ultimately prove fruitless. The Pearl was too divided, still too tribal in thinking. Its sorcerers could never unite long enough to overcome their differences. When they attempted to, they sought to oppose the Paternoster, a Seer Ministry with ties to the friar orders of the Catholic Church. Towards the 1880s, the ministry was able to quash desires for equality and education among the native indios. Their power however would not last the end of the century. For better of for worse, the cofradias could finally seize their own star.
    Last edited by terpsichordean; 03-26-2017, 09:52 AM.

Please continue, and don't forget some local mysteries and some NPCs

Comment

Thank you Masa for sharing your interest. Starting with a long-winded history kind of bogged me down, and I realized I was approaching the setting from a tedious perspective. I will be sharing more about the mysteries in Manila in the form of another thread.

Comment

Working...
      X