X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Spellcasting - Dramatic Failures and Paradox

Our lovely WHW made some interesting point on game mechanics:

Originally posted by WHW View Post
    Currenlty airing anime Little Witch Academia shows a lot how Dramatic Failures on Spellcasting and Paradox can make Mage game fun while also progressing character arcs and not necessarily just act as story derailing punishments. Do Paradox in that way and players will be tempted to Dramatic Failure that Failure and will be more willing to not do everything they can to overpower Paradoxes.
    Am I getting this right, or does Dramatic Failures on spellcasting rolls means that character get's Paradox on this spell? If not, how the system hack like that impact the game setting then? I was thinking sometime about running this way, but I'm not sure what is official rules stand on the matter and how would this change game world.

P.S. How good is Little Witch Academia as anime?

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Little Witch Academia is very fun. It has the spark of imagination and love that makes difference between Hogwarts and Generic Magic School Number Sixty Three. Episode Eight even contains a straight on Astral Journey.

Dramatic Failures of Spellcasting Rolls don't produce Paradox in core rules. Instead, you suffer from a Condition that has to be somewhat related to the spell you tried to cast. Hello beats.
    Last edited by WHW; 03-11-2017, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Yea, Dramatic Failures on Spellcasting don't cause Paradox. Paradox is checked before the spell is cast and if released can impose penalties to the Spellcasting dicepool. Would be a bit of a dick move to have it cause enough penalties as to make a failure dramatic and then have that failure cause another Paradox on top of that.

Comment

Well, I throw out Paradox dice penalty out od window in the first place, so this particular side of rules is no problem for me. And I do this as I think making 'Paradox is DIRECTLY bad to yours magic' makes it Paradox obviously bad option for rach character casting- when in my take even 'good' PCs can 'wet the toe' with Abyss if they see strategic advantage in that.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
        My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Working...
        X