No announcement yet.

Something strange about Pantechnicon...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something strange about Pantechnicon...

Riddle me this Awakened Community: Who is the Patron Exarch of the Ministry of Pantechnicon, the Seers of the Throne Ministry formed by the Nameless Alliance Mages who accepted the Hegemonic's offer to join the Throne and enforce the Lie through technocracy instead of forming the Free Council like a majority of the rest?

Because it seems that there are conflicting accounts from different supplements.

Seers of the Throne says that the Hegemonic's, servants of the Unity, were the ones to found the Ministry. But in that same breath the book also says in Panopticon's write up that Pantechnicon served the Eye and that they were rivals who could grow to replace them.

And then there's Imperial Mysteries that flat out states that Pantechnicon's Patron Exarch is the Chancellor in the Shadow of the Chancellor's write up but delves no further than that.

So, is this counter information on purpose? Or is there a definitive answer out there and I'm just remembering it incorrectly. Or, is this like VII from VtR where ultimately the answer is up to the Story Teller?

This is an old post, though more recent than those books. Down in the comments Dave Brookshaw seems to say they're servants of the Chancellor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
      Seers of the Throne says that the Hegemonic's, servants of the Unity, were the ones to found the Ministry. But in that same breath the book also says in Panopticon's write up that Pantechnicon served the Eye and that they were rivals who could grow to replace them.
      Where is that? I can't find it.

Comment

I believe it was in the Ministry of Hegemony and Ministry of Panopticon write up in Seers of the Throne. The former states that it was the Hegemonic's idea to invite the Nameless Alliance to join the Seers and their Great Refusal was so devastating that Hegemony never fully recovered and that it was the start of their decline as a Greater Ministry. The later is a very short segment in the Panopticon write up where they say Pantechnicon is a contender for Panopticon's position and that Panopticon plans to take over the Lesser Ministry from within and subsume it into itself ultimately.

However, since David already made comments regarding the statement in Imperial Mysteries being the official statement then I have my answer.
        Last edited by Dusksage; 03-13-2017, 04:59 AM. Reason: Polish

Comment

Pantechnicon are based on oppression through making the masses reliant on technology they cannot maintain or control - they're the assholes patenting drugs, walled-gardening devices, and putting the interests of a few creators ahead of the populace. That's the Chancellor's symbology.

Part of their problem is that Mammon, the Ministry of making people only care about the material, is also the Chancellor's symbology, and the Exarch appears to prefer Mammon. As much as the Exarch appears to prefer anything. How much of Mammon's success compared to them is because Pantechnicon have every Libertine in the world having a hate-boner for them specifically versus how much is Exachal favor (and really, to Seer philosophers, how capable human minds are of telling the two apart!) is a grey area.

If the two Matter Ministries could sort themselves out, they'd almost certainly replace one of the existing Greater ones.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Could? Are the Pantechs still around?

Also, it's a weird thing to feel one's own profession as a tool of the Seers. Hm.

Comment

Oh, yeah - Pantechnicon are still active. Don't know where you got the impression they weren't.

Bear in mind that I worked for a bank for five years, and then at a mobile phone provider for eight.

Everyone's a tool of the Seers in some way. It's the Lie for you.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Oh my goodness, thank you so much Dave for that insight into not just Pantechnicon's set up but also some delightful Seer politics.

I'd imagine that the other Greater Ministries spend no small about of resources and time just making sure Mammon and Pantechnicon don't get their collective houses in order, especially Hegemony since they're hurting the most in the current era...and now that I think about it because the whole division through waring factions thing is super symbolism for the Unity.
                Last edited by Dusksage; 03-13-2017, 01:48 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                  Oh, yeah - Pantechnicon are still active. Don't know where you got the impression they weren't.

Bear in mind that I worked for a bank for five years, and then at a mobile phone provider for eight.

​So as a network engineer I am just a pawn of the Seers? Oh well the pay is good.

I can see them dominating in Silicone Valley, and they probably run Microsoft, Verizon and Walmart. I knew they were evil but Walmart?

Next thing you will be telling us is that they are lawyers also.

LOL, thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
                    Sounds like a Hegemony character concept to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post
                      Sounds like a Hegemony character concept to me.
                      Depends what you're doing.

Comment

As an attorney, I, for one, welcome our Seer overlords and their ample billing opportunities.

Although the Hegemonic Ministry and the Ministry of Mammon generate more billable hours, Pantechnicon certainly provides interesting work, particularly in the field of intellectual property.

In fact, I would hardly be surprised if the managing partners at many large international law firms here in NYC are loyal Prelates of the Chancellor.
                        Last edited by branford; 03-13-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by branford View Post

As an attorney, I, for one, welcome our Seer overlords and their ample billing opportunities.

Although the Hegemonic Ministry and the Ministry of Mammon generate more billable hours, Pantechnicon certainly provides interesting work, particularly in the fields of intellectual property.

In fact, I would hardly be surprised if the managing partners at many large international law firms here in NYC are loyal Prelates of the Chancellor.
                          LOL

As I said about being a network engineer, at least the pay is good.

Comment

There are benefits to being on the winning side....

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post

The comparison of the Lie to the complacency bred by a comfortable developed world existence strikes closer to home than usual. I'll be watching to see if the Pantechs show up again in future.

I always assumed it died in the fires of the Great Refusal and finally stopped writhing in Europe's ashes following WWII. I don't recall it being mentioned in the Seers book, only the Mage Noir one, so it felt like a natural assumption that there's only one Ministry per Exarch.

It raises the obvious question of just how many Ministries there are out there.

Oh well the pay is good.
                              Seers One-Oh-Friggin'-One.

Comment

Working...
                              X