Lex Magica Gold Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lex Magica Gold Laws

In my archeomancy ‘London’ game I have Silver Ladder Lictor PC that want’s to find new Gold Laws in Temples of Time Before. Problem is I do not know how to make them. As 2E Mage corebook gives us this definition:

Originally posted by MtAw 2E, p.69
    Gold Laws are those the Diamond believes were laws in the Time Before, gathered from Artifacts, from time-lost ruins, and by the agreement of multiple Consilia. Gold Laws are rare, and mostly concern the individual rights of mages to follow their studies unless they conflict with another’s, to maintain sancta and Hallows without fear of trespass, and to be recognized for greater skill in the Arcana.
    So, clearly, Great Rights from Sanctum & Sigil ( p. 26 ) are one of the Gold Laws. To remind those:
    • Right of Crossing: Let no borders stop an Awakened with a clear heart.
    • Right of Emeritus: Those who have earned respect must be treated with respect.
    • Right of Hospitality: Those who request hospitality must be granted it.
    • Right of Nemesis: When vengeance is declared, let none stand in its way.
    • Right of Sanctuary: Protect your home, and let no action cause it harm.
    Any I think new does not seems ‘universal’ enough to those. Maybe someone have other examples of Gold Laws? Or idea what, exactly, could they concern?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-13-2017, 04:00 AM.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
    MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
    MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

You can't find a "Golden Law". You can find a potential material and source for a Golden Law. Just because you found Atlantean Tablet that orders every Mage to wear a funny hat every Sunday or else they will be considered enemies of the Atlantis doesn't mean that multiple modern Consilia will agree to acknowledge it as a Gold Law. It won't be automatically respected and considerd THE law. However, you probably will have an interesting political whiff and whoffing, because some people will legit think you should make it THE LAW, while others will lobby for it just to spite the current rulers and paint them as evil anti antlantheans.

So I suggest something that would impact daily lives of mages and challenge something they find very common and accepted; something like outlawing popular spell casting option ["Self is Perfection, and sustaining self targeting spells is spitting in the eye of perfection, thus anyone who cast self buffs is unperfect, and thus suspicious and criminal by default"; "Human Sacrifice is only reasonable and allowable Sacrament Yantra"; "Love is an illusion that leads to downfall, any mage feeling funny in the tummy should Mana Purge the feeling or be considered dangerous to the society"]. Imagine stumbling upon an ancient manifesto written by a extreme ideological group...but because it's ancient, you actually lack context to know it's just a manifesto, so you think that they all really wore these funny hats.

Comment

You know the character doesn't actually have to succeed right? Stories can also be about failure.

Comment

Yeah, I would suggest a story that showcases process of declaring something found in a Temple Gold Law, emphasizing political and social discourse it invites and other ideological mayhem. Maybe a month or two where consilium tests that new thing...and, after everything is said and done, lessons learned, points made, they all go "yeah, let's not go there", your player included.

Kind of like Chinese say "Democracy seems great for democratic countries, but it's unsuited for our society and would be a great mayhem", "Atlantean laws seem great for Atlantis, but aren't necessarily The Best Idea for the world we live in".

Comment

Well, to have story at all I need the Law that Convocations can decide if should be Gold in the first place. And as I understand correctly, to be Gold Law, this rule should be need to be found in few Temples first, like two or three.

Comment

Figure out the meta-purpose behind the Law first, then design one to fill it. What role do you want it to fill in your Chronicle? Because it's such a massive theme that could easily be a central thing of a given game for months, or it could be literally a one shot tv episode that everyone will forget next week.

Comment

It should be few session character arc. Best would related somehow to Hieromagus, rising Time Before civilizations or Earths Chakras.

Comment

I, for one, feel that Consiliums these days have too few hats and welcome the revealed Wisdom of our Atlantean forebears.

Comment

Do you want it to be a potential major change in the setting, or to the contrary, something small? "Status Quo has to be maintained" versus "I don't mind if something big like USA becoming Magocracy happens" offers different angles to approach this conundrum from.

Comment

You could probably have a long arc out of a Golden Rule(s) around the Right of the Master/Right of the Apprentice and its role in each aspect of society. If enough evidence existed that master/student relationship had preference over mage/order, then a recognized Golden Rule would stir up issues of loyalty with cross trained mages. Prolific teachers might end up with more political power due to apprentice obligations. What if a Golden Rule declares an apprentice's apprentice also owed loyalty/duty back to his master's master, ect. The possible specifics are endless.

​As far as I know, right now, most of these issues are generalized by Order and then interpreted by individuals, but the possibility of a new Golden Rule and the political back in forth about it could be a huge monkey wrench in established mage society.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      Maybe someone have other examples of Gold Laws?
                      Aside from the Great Rights and the right to duel, the Silver Ladder book has two examples:

The Exchequer of Immanent Verbs is forbidden from authorizing trade with the Topaz-Eyed Mummery,
                      and the institution of the Guardian Interfector.

Comment

'The Exchequer of Immanent Verbs is forbidden from authorizing trade with the Topaz-Eyed Mummery,' - WHAT does that even mean?!

Comment

It means there are plenty of "gold" laws that don't make any sense in the modern context.

Comment

The Gold Law is a bit like the Talmud. It's important but not necessarily relevant.

Comment

Said Rabbi Eliezer to them, "If the Halakah is according to me, may the river run backwards!" And so, the waters turned back and flowed up the hill.

"One cannot prove anything from a river," the Rabbis said.

Comment

Working...
                              X