No announcement yet.

Ideas for Famous/Well Known Mages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My game is set in the 1920s and with player's being movers and shakers they have met more than a few famous people. But I decided early on that most Awakened would shun the spotlight acting behind proxies. Some might have created a famous public persona that they use to further their agenda, but it is fake and is only used when needed, but most mage wouldn't even risk that level of exposure. That being said there were three mages who became famous and used their real identity. William Randolf Hurst (Mastigos), who is a Secretary for Hegemonic Ministry in North America, Harry Houdini (Arcanthus) who was a former member of the Stone Assembly (and was killed for his association with that Cabal) and Rasputin (Thyrsus), who was a Silver Ladder mage who was set up to be a power behind the throne but who went rogue and fell to his hedonistic vices.

Comment

I mentioned earlier that I saw Rasputin as a Thyrsus, so cool, and I can definitely see Hearst as a Seer although I'm not enough up on the Seers to peg his ministry. The fact that he toured Europe after WWI and bought entire walls and floors of various building to incorporate into his California mansion complex always seemed like it would be a great mystery to explore. Who knows what all he acquired for the Seers.

Comment

Can we go back a little further back in history? If so, I'm surprised no one mentioned Siddhartha Gautama, or more commonly 'the' Buddha. The title "buddha" means awakened or enlightened one, after all. Considering the philosophy and key teachings, I'd say he was a Mastigos; the egoistic heart is the source of torment, everyone is connected (so we should be merciful towards each other). He was also considered a taboo-breaker in his age, what with defying the mainstream Hindu faith and all. He probably Ascended and gave a huge middle finger both to the Psychopomp (ie. "Death is fearful, so listen to what We say or be trapped in reincarnation forever") and the Chancellor (ie. "Material wealth is all that matters in the end")

Comment

Jesus of Nazareth is definitely Archmage material I'd say. Obrimos originally (in a thematic sense) and then obviously past needing a Path. He ascended through the sealing of an Omen which required his death and resurrection.

Comment

21C Hermit & Solar I'm personally cool with anything, each group has their own threshold for changes they want to make to the game or who they want to make an NPC or historical figure in their campaign.

‚ÄčI get in trouble with my relatives for being agnostic and referring to the Christian religion as a mythology, so I personally try to stay away from religious figures that might touch others personal buttons. But again I have not problem for others going there.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
              Jesus of Nazareth is definitely Archmage material I'd say. Obrimos originally (in a thematic sense) and then obviously past needing a Path. He ascended through the sealing of an Omen which required his death and resurrection.
              Actually, I'd say Thyrsus rather than Obrimos. The Thyrsus are those who are banished or exiled to the wastelands beyond society, commune with strange creatures in strange places, and come back to the community to impart wisdom. The Temptation of Christ falls nicely into this as a Mystery Play, where Satan was actually a Supernal Entity of the Primal Wild urging Jesus to give in to his base urges, only for him to rise against it and reclaim his humanity, completing the Awakening. The Thyrsus are also known for standing in the Boundaries and placing themselves as Intercessors, which is also what Jesus did when he cared for the downtrodden and outcasts of society. His more famous miracles are also of healing the body and expelling demons, explanable with Life and Spirit magic respectively.

Moses sounds like a better fit for Obrimos, having behold a fraction of God in His glory, and came down as a leader who wields Power and Commands the masses to their Promised Land.

Comment

Working...
              X