Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time Magic - Ultimate mystery solver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I mean keeping this up permanently. There are very few drawbacks to doing so, especially if you can Combine spells.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by WHW View Post
      I mean keeping this up permanently. There are very few drawbacks to doing so, especially if you can Combine spells.
      This biggest problems are going to be social at that point. You're going to make a lot of mages nervous if you try to walk around armed to the teeth glowing like the sun with all the spells you're loaded down with.

      Comment


      • Why aren't they also loaded up like that anyway? Sounds like a basic function of having a Cabal, honestly. Kinda like Magical Second Amendment.
        Also, Suppress Aura specifically makes you not look like Christmas Tree, as it hides every single spell effect from detection.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by WHW View Post
          Why aren't they also loaded up like that anyway? Sounds like a basic function of having a Cabal, honestly. Kinda like Magical Second Amendment..
          The Consilium in Texas is way ahead of you.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by WHW View Post
            Why aren't they also loaded up like that anyway? Sounds like a basic function of having a Cabal, honestly. Kinda like Magical Second Amendment.
            Also, Suppress Aura specifically makes you not look like Christmas Tree, as it hides every single spell effect from detection.
            Out of courtesy. Even in an armed society you don't walk around with loaded assault rifles and shotguns all day. It has the bad habit of instantly upgrading the stakes when something inedvitably comes to hostilities. If everyone needs to worry about upping their defenses they're less likely to instantly resort to violence once things get heated out of caution. If everybody is already fully loaded, you aren't going to really get much more prepared for war than this so you might as well fight it out, which is something consilia and mage society at large is specifically tailored to dissuade.

            Essentially, if you had to be prepared at every second of every day to fight for your life (or at least you felt like you did), then loading up on spells would be a great idea. Mage society is specifically constructed so that you don't feel that way, and are willing to settle things in mage court as it were. Same for regular society really.
            Last edited by Ashenrogue; 03-18-2017, 07:45 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by WHW View Post
              Why aren't they also loaded up like that anyway? Sounds like a basic function of having a Cabal, honestly. Kinda like Magical Second Amendment.
              Also, Suppress Aura specifically makes you not look like Christmas Tree, as it hides every single spell effect from detection.
              Excellent question! Hey given the Second Amendment why don't you wear a ballistic plate kevlar vest and carry an AR 15?

              The answers likely have mage analogies, like it's locally restricted via law (local lex magica rulings), would make you a social pariah for several reasons:
              Shows you expect violence against your own person (that's pretty suspicious, what type of person expects to be attacked? Take moment to look around real life begore you answer)
              Show you are mentally prepared and capable of brutal violence if need be.
              Show you have no faith in the system of laws to protect you.
              Shows you have no faith in the authority figures set to defend you.
              It's horribly anti-social.

              The assumed status quo is that violence is a bad nieghorhood, bad city, or a third world problem for mundane western society at least, and just because you know the world is a Lie doesn't make you any less a product of your culture, even if you're a subculture counter movement. (Glances at all the Adamantine Arrow Sovereign Individual Militia gun nuts camped out in Montana)

              Also if you have a mage investigation team backed by the rest of the Colesium are after you as a killer the main way they don't catch you is if they give up trying to find the origin point of the Rosenberg murder plot, because its just too convoluted or they capture a pawn instead of you, satisfied justice was done.
              (Note said main way, not only way)

              Also Spirit or Mind or Death + Familiar > Time because of the Omen, Pathfinder, and Seek Numina.
              Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 03-20-2017, 09:33 PM.


              “Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
              "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                Edit 2:
                "You rewind and rewind. You see a man walking backwards, seeming uninteresting until you see him stare off in a direction and mutter something. You stop at the beginning of his sentence – maybe it's important – and come around, circling him in paused-time to size him up. He looks pale, angular. His eyes command a powerful presence. There's something in them. Not literally, of course, but there's something... deep. You stare and let go of your hold on time. The scene progresses. He whispers: "Grab your friend and slit his throat".

                The order resonates in your skull.
                Roll Resolve + Composure."
                This is quite hilarious to me.

                I can see a vamp in the past moment looking away from his friends to a spot on the wall. Uttering the command and asking himself why did I just command the wall? With out context in the past it's nonsense, but vindicated when you pull the time spring back. It's either mythical guidance, amazing lucky guess work, and or raw experience. reminds of Malks so rarely done right.
                Last edited by MercSet; 03-21-2017, 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling


                Placeholder

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MercSet View Post

                  This is quite hilarious to me.

                  I can see a vamp in the past moment looking away from his friends to a spot on the wall. Uttering the command and asking himself why did I just command the wall? With out context in the past it's nonsense, but vindicated when you pull the time spring back. It's either mythical guidance, amazing lucky guess work, and or raw experience. reminds of Malks so rarely done right.
                  I remember doing something similar to my players. They were spying via postcognition on a vampire riding the same train. The difference was that the vampire only said 'I see you' but they freaked out so hard. It was fun.


                  [2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Moinen View Post

                    I remember doing something similar to my players. They were spying via postcognition on a vampire riding the same train. The difference was that the vampire only said 'I see you' but they freaked out so hard. It was fun.
                    Nice I love little moments like these. They show a lot of buy in from the players to be in and play out the story. Definitely keeps them on edge.


                    Placeholder

                    Comment


                    • Uses postcognition to observe the murder

                      Oh god, it was Jeff the Wizard who did it! Book 'im Danno!

                      But actually it was Gina the Witch, using magic to look like Jeff. Of course since postcognition solves all murder mysteries instantly, you'd have thought that this would be revealed, but it isn't.

                      Turns out only an immensely stupid Mage commits murder and even lets you have the opportunity to cast postcognition at the crime scene, never mind does it obviously while there. They hide the body under layers of Fate and Space, or transform it to nothingness with Matter, incinerate it utterly with Forces, or leave it in the depths of the Shadow with Spirit, so nobody can even use powerful spells like postcognition, and if they did, you misdirected them with other magics!

                      Comment


                      • Eh, I wouldn't compare having a Mental Shield [or any other Shield] on you to being armed with heavy weaponry. You can't grab your Shielding spells and start shooting people with them. Shielding Spells don't increase your ability to threat people [you, as a Mage, are always loaded weapon platform]. I would rather compare it to having your iphone set to secure internet and wifi settings [so a random person wont just check it out], using a secure browser, not logging into your bank account on public computers and locking your car when you go to grab a burger. Or locking your house when you go to sleep or for a walk.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by WHW View Post
                          I would rather compare it to having your iphone set to secure internet and wifi settings [so a random person wont just check it out], using a secure browser, not logging into your bank account on public computers and locking your car when you go to grab a burger. Or locking your house when you go to sleep or for a walk.
                          It's much more obvious than a private device in your pocket which (mostly) only you get to look at. More like wearing a bullet-proof vest at school, at a wal-mart, etc. while also being a walking weapons platform.
                          Doesn't inspire confidence.


                          Former bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                          Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

                          Comment


                          • WHW Fata-Ku

                            I can see different cities see each spell usage differently. A city with an active city wide mind mystery would see a mental shield as prudent while life or forces shield is somewhat rude. and Infact I can see a city with a vampire population having death and mind shields as important as having an umbrella in England or Seattle


                            Placeholder

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                              You have Time magic to track down the killed one. You just look at him in the past up to the moment when he died, and then you witness his death.
                              That has all the limitations of a normal, real-time witnessing the murder, on top of a few new challenges.

                              So. Can you conceive of a way to kill someone without a nearby mage noticing you did it? Then temporally that is still valid.

                              Yes, mages are hax when it comes to unveiling mysteries (it's no accident they solve Mysteries instead of mysteries in their usual challenges). But you are overestimating that.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MercSet View Post
                                WHW Fata-Ku

                                I can see different cities see each spell usage differently. A city with an active city wide mind mystery would see a mental shield as prudent while life or forces shield is somewhat rude. and Infact I can see a city with a vampire population having death and mind shields as important as having an umbrella in England or Seattle
                                I mean sure, but I'd imagine that's more the exception than the rule, the kind of thing that would be brought up at Concilium because Sentinels need to all be on the same page about it, in the "innocent people don't run" (read: "death-veil themselves") sense.

                                Though honestly I'd totally be the kind of person to constantly walk around with Incognito Presence because i just want people to leave me alone.


                                Former bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                                Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X