Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time Magic - Ultimate mystery solver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Good mystery is a solvable mystery.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
      A whole lot of things which are all left in Time and could be penetrated with sufficiently strong Magic Sight.
      Basically you are saying that solving the mage crime is either trivially easy, or outright impossible. Doesn't make for very interesting game.
      You might wanna look at Mage Sight rules again. If you're the only one that can see back in time and don't have the appropriate arcana, all you know is "a spell was used". If it was a proxy, you get a Magical Signature and.... then what? If you've never met the mage or analysed their Nimbus, what are you gonna do?


      Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
      Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
        If it was a proxy, you get a Magical Signature and.... then what? If you've never met the mage or analysed their Nimbus, what are you gonna do?
        ...track down a proxy in Time and understand his history to find the manipulator? I believe there is also a way to grant view of past events to other mages with other Mage Sight to understand which spell was used.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
          ...track down a proxy in Time and understand his history to find the manipulator? I believe there is also a way to grant view of past events to other mages with other Mage Sight to understand which spell was used.
          Well hey, this sounds an awful lot like a story. Where is the problem??

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
            Fairly easily done if the subject didn't lead secluded life, in which case he probably wouldn't be missed.


            Again, not that long with casting taking about 3 seconds.


            First of all, such proxies would lead back to the murderer. Second of all, if you look at somebody, they may look back. If he tries to kill you, he has done a job of tracking for you. All that is left is to survive the assault.


            A whole lot of things which are all left in Time and could be penetrated with sufficiently strong Magic Sight.
            Basically you are saying that solving the mage crime is either trivially easy, or outright impossible. Doesn't make for very interesting game.
            That first bit isn't really a problem, but it still requires time to do.

            And it isn't just a 3 second casting. You need to watch it play out in at least a speed that you can follow, and then recast it constantly as you keep leaving the area.

            Not really. If you're doing proxies right you can pretty easily arrange it so as to not indicate it was you. And if he tries to kill you, chances are he's going to do it because mage is fucking rocket tag at times, and given the situation he's almost certainly going to get the drop on you. Going around essentially screaming out, 'I'm looking for a murderer!' is a good way to get yourself killed.

            Assuming you have the correct sights to see through it, which you probably don't since we're assuming the investigator is a Time mage and the killer isn't. Also, I should point out that Mage Sight analysis of the past is done in real time, while also distracting you from your surroundings. You remember how you'd essentially be going around screaming 'please kill me Mr. Murderer'? Well now you're yelling please kill me while impairing your own ability to actually respond to outside threats.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by WHW View Post
              Good mystery is a solvable mystery.
              I am all for it, but it shouldn't be just a continuous use of Postcognition.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                ...track down a proxy in Time and understand his history to find the manipulator? I believe there is also a way to grant view of past events to other mages with other Mage Sight to understand which spell was used.
                You can't cast spells back in time, so...

                Tulpa: ceased to exist so there's nothing to cast a spell on.

                Ghost/Spirit: gotta wade through twilight/shadow which is an adventure all its own. Alternatively, was destroyed by the killer so there's nothing to cast a spell on, but you don't know that until you search.

                Manipulated Human : go door to door? Hack into the DMV to search by driver's license? So you're doing leg-work. Good. that's what an investigative story is about.

                You can't hop between targets with Postcognition. One spell, one target. You can't just "follow the victim in reverse" and from there "follow the proxy in reverse". Spells don't work that way.
                Last edited by Fata-Ku; 03-16-2017, 04:18 PM.


                Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                  I am all for it, but it shouldn't be just a continuous use of Postcognition.
                  Great, you know what happened. So what? Also, now what?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The most boring part of a story is figuring out what happened. What to do now is the best part. Mage Sight lets you skip that first part and go right into the second. It's good stuff.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post
                      And it isn't just a 3 second casting. You need to watch it play out in at least a speed that you can follow, and then recast it constantly as you keep leaving the area.
                      Okay, this isn't a first dot, but still isn't very far from it.

                      Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post
                      Assuming you have the correct sights to see through it, which you probably don't since we're assuming the investigator is a Time mage and the killer isn't. Also, I should point out that Mage Sight analysis of the past is done in real time, while also distracting you from your surroundings. You remember how you'd essentially be going around screaming 'please kill me Mr. Murderer'? Well now you're yelling please kill me while impairing your own ability to actually respond to outside threats.
                      Have some other mage stand on guard while you and your friend watch snuff movie. Hell, tell your Consilium (which should be very, very interested in finding mage killer) to stay on guard and be ready for attack. Why do you assume that killer is going to be able to easily kill people who are ready for attack and may have planned a trap for him?
                      ...also, you can predict attack with Time magic again. And do the trap thing even more effectively.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                        ...also, you can predict attack with Time magic again. And do the trap thing even more effectively.
                        It's hard to defend against a Mastigos that uses Sympathy to give you an aneurysm.


                        Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                        Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                          You can't hop between targets with Postcognition. One spell, one target. You can't just "follow the victim in reverse" and from there "follow the proxy in reverse". Spells don't work that way.
                          I didn't say you couldn't. But nothing stops you from going step by step back with Postcognition. Which is naturally what is you going to do.

                          Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                          Great, you know what happened. So what? Also, now what?
                          Now you use this knowledge to track down killer with million of other ways magic provides. Finding killer is usually much more easier with full information about murder at hand.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                            It's hard to defend against a Mastigos that uses Sympathy to give you an aneurysm.
                            If you know when he is going to attack and how? It's trivial. It also gives you a Sympathy to track him back. But that's another matter.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                              nothing stops you from going step by step back with Postcognition. Which is naturally what is you going to do.
                              And these steps aren't worth playing out? why?


                              Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
                              Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                                Okay, this isn't a first dot, but still isn't very far from it.


                                Have some other mage stand on guard while you and your friend watch snuff movie. Hell, tell your Consilium (which should be very, very interested in finding mage killer) to stay on guard and be ready for attack. Why do you assume that killer is going to be able to easily kill people who are ready for attack and may have planned a trap for him?
                                ...also, you can predict attack with Time magic again. And do the trap thing even more effectively.
                                Well first off, this isn't a murder case yet so I doubt the consilium is going to really care. A mage hasn't been heard from in a little bit, woo! You have no proof anythings even wrong other than the fact that you can't seem to get in contact with him, which for all you or anyone else knows, his phone died/broke/etc. You have no reason to even bring anyone else along with you because as far as you know, nothing might be wrong, though I'll give you that you might have a buddy with you just in case. And are you could figure out if you were going to be attacked, but you would have to do so in advanced.

                                You know what, lets play a game. You're this theoretical Time Mage, what arcana do you have at what level (max 7 dots, standard restrictions, arcana no higher than 4)? Anyways, you haven't heard back from your other Mage buddy Jim, what do?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X