No announcement yet.

Mage Boons/Gifts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally, a Carthian would love some way to strengthen their cause. Getting rid of the Invictus would help greatly. Some ghost minions and spies, possibly.

Comment

Spy on an enemy, kill an enemy, or cover up for the vampire depending on what the mage can do.

Reasons:
      1. always best to keep it simple when cashing in a favor
      2. not asking for much encourages secrecy which should be part of the favor, always
      3. nice way to assert superiority and let a mage know how little their life is worth to vampires
      Last edited by Diggs; 03-17-2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

While a vampire saving the life of an archmaster is unlikely, Fangs might find an opportunity to save someone Wandsy cares about. This only increases in probability the weaker Wandsy is.

Information, whether on a supernatural problem or spying on a foe or other thing, is an excellent use of a mage ally. Fixing hunger or Ignoring the sun would be more obvious things to request...

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

I think the Vampire would say you owe me, then stuff that favor up his sleeve as an extra Ace for the day he really needs it. Preferably a day when his own unlife hangs in the balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
            The problem is that the spell can't be active for more than one week without starting to deteriorate unless it's constantly updated (which sounds more like a service rather than a one time boon) or basically cost an XP for the mage to keep it going longer.
            But during that week you might even be immune to sunlight. (Doesn't help against Lethargic unlesd the mage has the right Arcana for dealing with that as well.)
            Wait, can mage just not use Advanced Duration, get some Duration Factory by takeing few -2 and ending with spell cast on vampire for whole years?

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
            MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
            MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Comment

Unless the mage keeps the spell under their spell control (which nobody would for a whole year) the spell would start mutating. That's why it's called unsafe relinquishing and frowned upon.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
                I think the Vampire would say you owe me, then stuff that favor up his sleeve as an extra Ace for the day he really needs it. Preferably a day when his own unlife hangs in the balance.
                That is exactly how I'd play it, provided I knew enough about mage society not to need such data on a more immediate basis.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Well lest not forget Sleepwalkers can hold spells for mages, and last I checked other supernatural are sleepwalkers. So the Mage could hand the spell over to the Vampire as he does sympathetic tie to a mage. Allowing the mage to grant a spell boon without spending exp, losing control, or using up his own spell control limit.

Comment

Vampires are their own template not sleepwalkers.

Comment

To clarify: Sleepwalkers are humans with both Integrity and any kind of Supernatural Merit or other kind of supernatural power. That means there's several templates (ghouls, wolf-blooded, proximi, all the Merit templates from Hurt Locker) that are always Sleepwalkers, but vampires are not one of them.

Comment

Doesn't the opening section on flag bearers say that technically anyone can hold spells for you, just having a sleeper do it is a idiotic move?

Comment

"The truth is, technically, anyone with a sympathetic tie to a mage can carry spells for her."

Yes. That's very much true. Vampires not being Sleepwalkers does not mean they can't carry spells. The book also goes on to mention that Dissonance is the reason doing it on a Sleeper won't work, and vampires do not cause Dissonance.
                          However, you'd need to maintain at least medium sympathetic connection. That requires either a spell or that the vampire and the mage works very closely together. More than casual acquaintances. So basically unworkable unless they are actual friends who keep hanging out or the mage knows Space 3 and can bolster the weak sympathetic connection gained from being the subject of the mage's spell. Probably in the form of combi-casting so Web-Weaver won't take up a second slot.
                          Last edited by Tessie; 03-19-2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                            "The truth is, technically, anyone with a sympathetic tie to a mage can carry spells for her."

Yes. That's very much true. Vampires not being Sleepwalkers does not mean they can't carry spells. The book also goes on to mention that Dissonance is the reason doing it on a Sleeper won't work, and vampires do not cause Dissonance.
                            However, you'd need to maintain at least medium sympathetic connection. That requires either a spell or that the vampire and the mage works very closely together. More than casual acquaintances. So basically unworkable unless they are actual friends who keep hanging out or the mage knows Space 3 and can bolster the weak sympathetic connection gained from being the subject of the mage's spell. Probably in the form of combi-casting so Web-Weaver won't take up a second slot.

I agree. Only hiccup in this is when a mage lends a spell to another mage. What then? I can't wait to see the working FAQ thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post

I agree. Only hiccup in this is when a mage lends a spell to another mage. What then? I can't wait to see the working FAQ thread.
                              Personally I'd go with each spell you hold for another mage counts vs your Max spells and can have up to the normal sympathy limit even if it pushes you above your limit.
                              But the is my opinion and nothing more.

Comment

That would create some fun feudal dynamic where Masters use Apprentices to sustain their spells as a form of tuition.
                                [In exchange, I guess a Master could sometimes allow usage of their Soul Stone by best apprentice.]

Comment

Working...
                                X