No announcement yet.

Mage Boons/Gifts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, I would do that too but it would be great to hear some official position before house ruling it. There is a lot of questions that are surfacing every now and then - and its been almost a year since publishing of M:tA 2E. FAQ thread? Why bother with basic consumer service? Meh. Let them chase and search for developers answers across multiple forums. That will do.
    Edit: I feel better now.

WHW Hmm. That seems cool, actually.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

In fairness, I believe the technical term for the amount Dave has on his plate right now is "fuckton".

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

So you are saying that Dave is the only person who can compile the FAQ?
        Don't get me wrong. I think that the 2E is a great game writen by a very talented people (so much more user friendly than 1E) but has a lot of grey areas that beg to be asnwered.

Comment

Well, as the developer Dave would be the most qualified to write the FAQ. But even if he redirected the job to someone else that person would have to get done with their backlog of work on all projects they're involved with.
          I'm also frustrated that the FAQ takes so much time, but I kinda get why. But I do wish it had higher priority so that the book that is already out will get it's errata soon after it came out. My understanding is that all the FAQ material has already been gathered for some time, considering how long ago the FAQ thread was closed.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

Maybe it's because some 'grey areas' might be cleared up in Signs of Sorcery.

Comment

So the Vampire is a carthian and the Mage is a Moros? have the moros use a death veiling spell on the vampires political enemies, what would the spell do you ask? reproduce the black veiny soul marks of Amarnath in its targets. as its a low level effect (2 dots) it could be cast on multiple targets and with significant duration

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                Maybe it's because some 'grey areas' might be cleared up in Signs of Sorcery.
                Some, yea. And waiting 2 years (from publishing Core to publishing SoS) for a FAQ is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post
                  So you are saying that Dave is the only person who can compile the FAQ?
                  That might depend on if he's being paid or not. Dave also asked for requests for legacies to convert that we haven't seen yet, and he explicitly mentioned he wasn't going to be paid for it. I suspect an FAQ could be the same.

Comment

From what I understood the FAQ was going to be something done for free, as such I expect it will be on the very-most back burner.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      "The truth is, technically, anyone with a sympathetic tie to a mage can carry spells for her."

Yes. That's very much true. Vampires not being Sleepwalkers does not mean they can't carry spells. The book also goes on to mention that Dissonance is the reason doing it on a Sleeper won't work, and vampires do not cause Dissonance.
                      However, you'd need to maintain at least medium sympathetic connection. That requires either a spell or that the vampire and the mage works very closely together. More than casual acquaintances. So basically unworkable unless they are actual friends who keep hanging out or the mage knows Space 3 and can bolster the weak sympathetic connection gained from being the subject of the mage's spell. Probably in the form of combi-casting so Web-Weaver won't take up a second slot.
                      We encountered this in a game I'm playing, and we went back and forth on whether the section intends "anyone" to mean "any normal human, not just Sleepwalkers" or the broader "anyone at all, including other Supernaturals, as long as they are capable of consenting to holding the spell." I asked the question here before, and people seemed to think the section intends the first. We ended up going with that for the simple reason that I'm in a crossover game and allowing Supernatural creatures to hold spells greatly increases a Mage's power. Specifically one like mine, who is a Mind Adept. Familiar is a 4 dot Mind/Spirit/Death spell that creates perfect Sympathy. Travelling into your own Oneiros and making many of its denizens Familiars gives you spell batteries - they hold the one that makes them a Familiar, and they hold the other one that you want.

It's a little more dangerous for Death/Spirit Familiars, but they are also more likely to find ephemeral beings willing to accept since the Familiar condition is more beneficial to them. Stick them in your Sanctum and they are protected from essence bleed, can defend your Sanctum, and can hold spells that make you and your Sanctum magically protected.

Comment

Originally posted by Ifisa View Post
                        It's a little more dangerous for Death/Spirit Familiars, but they are also more likely to find ephemeral beings willing to accept since the Familiar condition is more beneficial to them. Stick them in your Sanctum and they are protected from essence bleed, can defend your Sanctum, and can hold spells that make you and your Sanctum magically protected.
                        Ghost and Spirit familiars are protected from Essence bleed by the Familiar spell, you don't need to put them in your Sanctum for that.

Comment

Sort of getting back to the original post, if the Mage is being played in character and the Vampire did just save your life (and you aren't a selfish ass) would you really (in character) hesitate to make the small sacrifice in experience to repay the favor (by giving a Will power dot)?
                          ​As ST I would personally try to encourage that on the part of the player by at the least rewarding it with a Beat. I would also tell the player that this would be the perfect in story explanation for taking a point in Contact Vampire or even a points in Allies.
                          ​I might even give them the point in Contact for free as a story reward.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Ghost and Spirit familiars are protected from Essence bleed by the Familiar spell, you don't need to put them in your Sanctum for that.
                            Yeah, I meant that they get the benefit of that - which is a huge boon you can use to bargain to have them as magical guard dogs.

Comment

Working...
                            X