First time playing mage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time playing mage

so I'm going to be playing mage soon. I know the core structure of WoD rules and how Mage works generally but I've got some questions: I'm planning on playing a Thyrsus. Now a lot of what I'll be doing involves insects so I know I'll be going into Life but part of my goal, yes I'm being serious, to make giant sentient bees. I want to see what happens. I don't know why, I just want to. The ST is supportive and I wanted to know if there are any good Legacies for this. I almost specifically want to make the bees permanently huge and sentient as well as not poof out of existence due to paradox (note I said I generally understand how mage works, I don't know exactly how paradox works. got told it could mutate them as well which is fine).
    Another thing I was thinking was if I wanted to kill someone by sending bees through the internet with a combination of spells how would I do it?
    Can I make a gun that shoots swarms of bees?
    With Life is it possible to convert a human's sweat glands into Bee's Wax producing glands?

pls respont

Originally posted by cerealkiller View Post
    Can I make a gun that shoots swarms of bees?
    With Life is it possible to convert a human's sweat glands into Bee's Wax producing glands?
    Yes. (characters)

Comment

First welcome.

Don't know of a Legacy off the top of my head.

How big do you want the bees to be? Twice the size of normal or ride upon their back sized. Riding bees may be paradoxal in and of themselves.

With Matter you could probably use Wonderful Machine and combine a bee hive with a shotgun and fire them that way. It normally combines two machines but a generous ST may allow it.

Life 3 transmute life to give a human the ability to produce bee wax from a gland.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
        First welcome.

Don't know of a Legacy off the top of my head.

How big do you want the bees to be? Twice the size of normal or ride upon their back sized. Riding bees may be paradoxal in and of themselves.

With Matter you could probably use Wonderful Machine and combine a bee hive with a shotgun and fire them that way. It normally combines two machines but a generous ST may allow it.

Life 3 transmute life to give a human the ability to produce bee wax from a gland.
        What about using spirit and matter to embed a spirit in a gun to make it shoot bees? I want them to be the size of a medium sized dog (about 40lbs, 18kg)

pls respont

Comment

Transform life has a neat reach effect that allows for passing features to descendants. So it seems easy to make a line of bigger and bigger bees.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

What about using spirit and matter to embed a spirit in a gun to make it shoot bees? I want them to be the size of a medium sized dog (about 40lbs, 18kg)

Wont do unless the spirit is veeery powerful.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post

Wont do unless the spirit is veeery powerful.
              well the bees coming out of the gun won't be that size, I just want to put a bee spirit in a gun and use it to summon swarms of bees.

pls respont

Comment

Bees that size would either have to be magical in nature or have continuous spells cast on them (Life or Forces should do it) in order to actually fly and possibly to even survive at that size. Transform Life could very well create such a bee, but it would not help it overcome the laws of physics.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

Good Legacies, I'm not sure of, especially since that is fairly narrow and specific, but hey, there's no reason your character can't form their own! Tamers of Honey, anyone?

As for a gun that fires bees, Wonderful Machine explicitly has the ability to graft abilities onto living things, or vice versa, with Life 3. Doesn't seem like a stretch at all to make a bee-shotgun with that.

Sweat glands into beeswax-producing glands seems like nothing more than Transform Life (Life 3).

Giant bees. Well, that sounds like (essentially) a new species all together, so Create Life, which is Life 5, with Mind 5 if you want to make them sapient. That size isn't too unreasonable in regards to flight (word of warning: not a biologist or physicist); a quick online search shows that there are the kori bustard which are about 16kg, so flight should be doable; maybe mix in Forces 4 to help them out on the flight problem. The only way (that I can think of) to make them not subject to Paradox would be via a Legacy Attainment, so more evidence for a custom Legacy.

Now Bees!.exe hmmm... Well, I guess that could be as simple as a Making spell at sympathetic range (the sympathy forged by whatever online interaction you have with the target), so Life 5 with Space 2. Though if the bees are just the vector for damage and then just sublimate away, that is Life 3 or 4 at sympathetic range with Space 2. If you wanted a literal download that when opened, summoned a bunch of bees, that sounds like one of the aforementioned spells hung with Hung Spell (so Time 2) that has a conditional duration (so Fate 2) set to expire when the file opens. Maybe with Forces 2 in order to transfer the "file" as Forces seems to have what little computer-y stuff there is. Honestly, Forces 2 might replace Space 2 as the vector of transmission at this point.

Comment

Another thing I was thinking was if I wanted to kill someone by sending bees through the internet with a combination of spells how would I do it?
                    ‚ÄčThe right levels of Space/Life should do this in various ways with the internet just being flavor text. The right levels of Forces/Life with Time for a triggered delay could transform energy stored in an email attachment to bees when the email is opened (I would think)

Comment

Do you have some way of controlling the bee's too? Just firing em out a gun at somebody wont really make them sting that person? Wont firing them out a gun probably kill them? If they are just coming out of said gun then they will be closer to you at the end of your gun that an opponent far away?

You'll need at least Life 2 "Control Instincts" to control bee's to attack people id say. Huge bee's wont poof out of existence via paradox but by dissonance so having some legacy attainment that creates huge bee's may solve that.

Even a spirit with Influence: Bee's 5 can only mass create a number of bee's equal to its rank?
                      Last edited by totalgit; 03-18-2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I can see it now a Tommy Gun that has a Bee Hive as its Drum, The barrel is enchanted to encapsulate the bee in a forcefield, The forcefield dissipates after doing regular bullet damage and the bee, now free and angry, attacks. However this bee has been breed to deliver the Dreaded Australian Funnel-web Spiders venom. This venom has the Lure spell suspended by a hung spell produced by the gun. It attracts other bees of every type, especially the massive Rage drones controlled by the Tamer of Honey.

Now I want me one.
                        Last edited by Hardwire99; 03-18-2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Someone better then i would need to actually build this Artifact. I could I just don't think I could do it justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                            Bees that size would either have to be magical in nature or have continuous spells cast on them (Life or Forces should do it) in order to actually fly and possibly to even survive at that size. Transform Life could very well create such a bee, but it would not help it overcome the laws of physics.
                            I couldn't just "augment life" or something to take regular bees and make them into giant bees?

Originally posted by ffanxii4ever View Post
                            Good Legacies, I'm not sure of, especially since that is fairly narrow and specific, but hey, there's no reason your character can't form their own! Tamers of Honey, anyone?
                            yeah the ST suggested I make my own legacy. I don't know mage that well, I was more of a prommie, vamp and hunter player.

As for a gun that fires bees, Wonderful Machine explicitly has the ability to graft abilities onto living things, or vice versa, with Life 3. Doesn't seem like a stretch at all to make a bee-shotgun with that.
                            perfect. how deep into matter would I need to go for a bee hive shooting gun? I'm kind of imagining an old vietnam era style grenade launcher but instead of a grenade its a beehive that bursts and now there are bees everywhere.
                            Sweat glands into beeswax-producing glands seems like nothing more than Transform Life (Life 3).
                            I figured this was a relatively straight forward one. I'm thinking of using this offensively to cause folks to not be able to sweat which will over heat them. then my giant bees can come forth and build a glorious colony.

Giant bees. Well, that sounds like (essentially) a new species all together, so Create Life, which is Life 5, with Mind 5 if you want to make them sapient. That size isn't too unreasonable in regards to flight (word of warning: not a biologist or physicist); a quick online search shows that there are the kori bustard which are about 16kg, so flight should be doable; maybe mix in Forces 4 to help them out on the flight problem. The only way (that I can think of) to make them not subject to Paradox would be via a Legacy Attainment, so more evidence for a custom Legacy.
                            I figured that there would be some kind of enlarge or enhance life spell to transform bees into giant bees. The idea of a homemade legacy is sounding better and better.

Now Bees!.exe hmmm... Well, I guess that could be as simple as a Making spell at sympathetic range (the sympathy forged by whatever online interaction you have with the target), so Life 5 with Space 2. Though if the bees are just the vector for damage and then just sublimate away, that is Life 3 or 4 at sympathetic range with Space 2. If you wanted a literal download that when opened, summoned a bunch of bees, that sounds like one of the aforementioned spells hung with Hung Spell (so Time 2) that has a conditional duration (so Fate 2) set to expire when the file opens. Maybe with Forces 2 in order to transfer the "file" as Forces seems to have what little computer-y stuff there is. Honestly, Forces 2 might replace Space 2 as the vector of transmission at this point.
                            yeah the ST said this was some unholy spell combination. I was thinking a link or email attachment type thing. they open it and bees pour out of the monitor.

pls respont

Comment

This is giving me flashbacks to an old game that ended up involving Ascended bees.

Shine on, you beautiful fucking diamond, you.

Comment

Working...
                              X