No announcement yet.

Netflix Iron Fist TV series is great Adamantine Arrow story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my first Draft of making Legacies for all the Immortal Weapons. Haven't touched that document in many months, so might as well post this very unfinished draft of the Immortal Iron Fist Legacy here.
    [In my writeup all immortal weapons have Life as their Primary Arcanum, with slightly different Attainments. The big differences come in their secondary Arcanum.]

The Immortal Iron Fist

Magic

Secondary Arcanum: Prime
    Yantras: TBD
    Oblation: Deep Meditation

Attainments

First Attainment:

Prerequisites: Initiation
    The Iron Fists control of her Chi allows her to perform at the top of human ability. If the Iron Fist spent at least one hour honing and perfecting her Chi through meditation or training add the Iron Fist’s dots in Life to all rolls to resist fatigue, to the total distance (in meters) covered on a jump, to the subject’s swimming and running speed, and to any climbing rolls.
    This works like the spell Kinetic Efficiency, with Reach spend on Advanced Duration.
    Optional: Prime 1
    The Iron Fist’s honed senses are open to the magic of the world. She feels the energy in Ley Lines and nodes vibrating through her Chi. If there are no ley lines or nodes within sensory range, the subject feels a tugging sensation toward the nearest ley or node.
    This works like the spell Sacred Geometry, with Reach spent on Advanced Duration.

Second Attainment:

Prerequisite: Life 2, Athletics 3
    The Iron Fist’s control of her Chi allows her to perfect her body, heal faster and need less fot or wateer. This works like the spell Body Control cast, with Reach spend on Advanced Duration.
    Optional: Prime 2
    The Iron Fist opens her senses to the world and perceives the Chi in others, the way it pools around supernatural creates and how it warps in the presence of Mana. Based on Supernal Vision, 1 Reach spent on instant activation, 1 Reach spent on detecting Supernaturals

Third:

Prerequisite: Life 3, Brawl 3
    TBD
    Optional: Prime 3
    An Iron Fist must be ready to face all manner of foe. After spending at least an hour realigning their Chi the Iron Fist becomes capable of interacting with Twilight entities just as with physical ones for the next month. This is not limited to beings from any specific frequency of Twilight.
    [Based on Ephemeral Enchantment, Reach spent on Advanced Duration]

Fourth:

Prerequisite: Life 4
    Honing the Form, 1 Reach Instant action activation, 1 Reach Advanced Duration.
    Optional: Prime 4
    Conjuring the fire of Shou-Lao into a chosen weapon the Iron Fist enhances them far beyond their normal capabilities. Flames lick around the Iron Fists hands, arrows or guns as they become like things unto iron. After activating this Attainment, the Iron Fist’s unarmed attacks deal lethal damage, count as magical, and add a weapon bonus equal to Potency to their their attacks. The attainment can enhance the Fist’s unarmed attacks, attacks with held weapons, thrown weapons, and even bow attacks. It can even be used to enhance guns, but only gives them the Armor Piercing quality at Potency. The Attainment’s effect is unmistakably supernatural.
    [Based on Kinetic Blow, Reach spent on instant activation and affecting firearms]

Fifth:

Prerequisite: Life 5
    The Iron Fist’s knowledge of the Chi allows them to disable people without harming them.
    With several quick strikes delivered with a single action the Iron Fist channels her Chi into her target’s Chakras and shuts them down completely, applying the Insensate Tilt for the Attainment’s Duration.
    This Attainment works like a Weaving spell that applies the Insensate Tilt, with Reach spent on Advanced Duration and Instant Activation. It’s Withstood with Stamina.
    Optional: Prime 5
    The Iron Fist channels all their Chi into a gigantic explosion of energy. To activate this attainment the Iron Fist needs to hit their target with either a punch or kick, which doesn’t do damage by itself.
    The effects of this Attainment are resolved like a vehicle crash. If the Iron Fist successfully hits the target treat the effect like a size 15 vehicle hitting them while going the Iron Fist’s Prime*10 miles per hour. Use the Iron Fist’s Brawl in place of Drive where necessary.
    The Iron Fist itself is not fully protected against the attainment’s effects, but any any return damage the Iron Fist would suffer from, say, hitting a large train, gets reduced as if they were in a vehicle protected by adequate protective measures, and applies the Iron Fist’s Prime as additional Armour Rating.
    Last edited by Joker; 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM.

My custom legacy - The Disciples of Rathma - Life/Death focused Moros/Thyrsus Legacy, comments appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
      That is a misrepresentation to a great degree. They can be imperialistic in a cultural sense, yes, but not always, and not even often I'd say. They "conquered" in that they went to a lot of places and Mages who Awakened there found the Diamond's precepts and more temporal benefits (rotes, training etc) to be preferable to joining a local Nameless Order, if there even was one, as well as finding their philosophy and tenets to be appealing.

The idea that the Diamond was made up of white Mages conquering everyone else is, like, only true in some select areas much much later on into the Diamond's history. By the time that European colonialism was a thing, the Diamond was almost certainly the core of Awakened society from Japan to the British Isles, remember when the Diamond first became a thing it was a thing from Greece to India, and it spread in all directions from there almost immediately. The Mages that spread the Diamond through India and China were Indian and Chinese Mages. From there it spread across the entire Australiasian sub-continent across all those islands, and to Korea, Japan, Vietnam etc. On the other end, it spread north into Europe and South into Africa. And not all through Imperialism, but also because Mages travelled, and met other Mages, and shared ideas, and those ideas became part of the Diamond Order's views in many places.

Basically; if the Diamond in the first few centuries when it was spreading, solidifying and becoming dominant was culturally imperialistic, it was culturally imperialistic from all manner of Mages of various different ethnicities and backgrounds to areas that were equally diverse. Let's not pretend that just because the Diamond was part of European Imperialism that it exists through European Imperialism.

Let's put it simply; the Indian Mages who founded the Adamantine Arrow and spread its teachings would have probably been very unimpressed by the idea that the Adamantine Arrow is all about being a vehicle of White European Imperialism.
      I'm catching up on this thread, but I just want to say:

THANK YOU. This gets all the wins.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
      Working on:The Hedge(?), Night Horrors: Enemy Action
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

I want to focus on the point about Sun Tzu ( and similar texts ) quick conflicts resolutions ( like poisoning ).

Sun Tzu's writings are relevant to Arrows because of their teachings on war and conflict, many would probably agree with him that supreme excellence comes with defeating your opponent without even needing to go to war (that's just another method of conflict resolution at work, displays efficiency, skill and wisdom, and is arguably more honourable).

(...) they can read Sun Tzu while disagreeing with his idea that conflict is best avoided if possible.
        Let's remind two of Phalaxes Arrows belives in:

Originally posted by MtAw 2E, p. 37
        The Supernal is the Self
        Mind and soul are a microcosm of the universe and magic. Every trial by adversity reinforces the mage’s honor and self-integrity. The mage is her magic, as inseparable as a hand’s identity from owner’s intent, growing closer to her spiritual ideal with every victory. Arrows often seek to shed their personal flaws by swearing oaths to tie themselves to purposes larger than the self.

Oaths declare intent to the universe and sharpen focus on the challenge at hand, whether promising to defend a dear friend or murder a hated rival. A sworn Arrow is placing her judgment in dynamic action rather than formal words.

Enlightenment is Honor
        A warrior’s soul that expresses her intentions, then accomplishes those specific aims, reveals a vision unimpeded by distractions and uncompromised by the Fallen World. Challenges are more worthy when the challenger restricts his options to the path he chooses to fulfill his goals. Honorable mages act in accordance with their ideals, in true harmony with their perfect selves.
        From first, Order belives that using, for example, poisons by Arrows is making the Arrow mage into poison himself. You are what you do. If Arrows wants to be seen as 'noble warriors', they cannot use so un-honorable tools. There is no glory in killing others outside of battle.

Proper Oaths are 'To kill/defeat my Nemezis', not 'Poison my enemy', as it would pollute the perfect Supernal self Arrows aspire to. Arrows see confrontation 'in the field' as Honor, not 'who will go to not confront one another'.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-20-2017, 03:35 PM.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
        MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
        MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Comment

I know they can disagree with it. I'm just fascinated with how weird it must be to them to see a text that is so perfect in expressing mastery over warfare, which is what they aim at, while being born from motivations they consider unfertile and actively harmful. I think there is a lot of potential for interesting dissonance in there.

As for using poison equals poison...em. You are reading it too literal. Using poison will turn you into smart and resourceful warrior who uses their tools wisely. It won't turn you into poison. Again, there is a difference between using poison against your enemy and using poison for making your friend have a tummy ache so you can seduce their girlfriend. Arrows like adaptability, and labeling a tool "dishonorable" is not very Arrowish; SPECIFIC USAGE of a tool might be unhonorable, but not tool itself.
          And you can't claim that there is no glory for killing "outside of battle", because existence is war. While you might subscribe to some ideas of declared warfare or battlefields, it isn't very non in character for an Arrow to ascend over such trival boundaries.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            From first, Order belives that using, for example, poisons by Arrows is making the Arrow mage into poison himself. You are what you do. If Arrows wants to be seen as 'noble warriors', they cannot use so un-honorable tools. There is no glory in killing others outside of battle.

Proper Oaths are 'To kill/defeat my Nemezis', not 'Poison my enemy', as it would pollute the perfect Supernal self Arrows aspire to. Arrows see confrontation 'in the field' as Honor, not 'who will go to not confront one another'.
            1) Fingers, dude, not Phalanxes.

2) The Arrow aren't glorious, they are honorable, and their battle is the whole of reality itself-their method of fighting is not merely limited to battlefields and duels. There is no honor in killing, either, explicitly, there is only honor in winning, or more importantly in fighting the fight as you perceive it must be fought, not compromising your own sense of rightness as you do so.

3) In a war where radiation bombing is a thing you can do, poison is ridiculously tame-and the Arrow accept mind-control/mind rape, spiritual possession and influence, curses, and hauntings as weapons all. No weapon is dishonorable-only their use outside of the confines of your will is dishonorable.

4) Poison is not a bad thing to be. it gets the job done, and it gets it done without collateral. it can inflict a death without pain, if such a thing matters, offering a kinder and more respectful death than arbitrarily mowing them down with machine guns or drone bombing them, or ever stabbing the life out of them with steam-engine repetition. Use of poison is a better representation of the precise will that the Arrows aspire to the believe in of themselves and the Supernal than many other weapons.

5) Mind you, that's assuming that poison is seen as the whole to be. The Self is the Supernal as much as the Supernal is the Self, and poison is a small part of the Supernal. An Arrow becomes all things by challenging them and being transformed in the process, particularly when you add in Adaptability is Strength (Five Fingers makes a Hand, so no Arrow aspires to merely be a Finger-these things flow together), and so an Arrow's Self is Supernal because it is many things at once.

6) Proper Oaths include whatever the individual Arrow feels is important.to their ideals. In order for it to be seen as ruining the Supernal, it has to first been seen that such an action that actually can ruin the Supernal. And ideals can change.

Stop thinking of this in terms of the romanticized knight things, and strip away your cultural conceptions from this. Poison is regarded as a taboo widely in our world, yes-but it's also damn effective and there's a reason we use it anyways. Take all of that, and then remember mages are inherent taboo-breakers to begin with, and realize that these concerns just aren't things even an honorable mage would give a shit about.

Comment

Of course, it doesn't mean that there is no place for Romantic Knights Arrows. But there is as much room for them as for cunning masterminds. And if you don't think their honor is honorable, and that only your honor is the honor, then I guess you should prove that by defeating them. "Wat I fight", "How I fight", and "Wat is even defeat and winning" are important questions to ask yourself as an Arrow.

Comment

I just remembered, Poison is the Shadow Name of an Arrow in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
                  Of course, it doesn't mean that there is no place for Romantic Knights Arrows. But there is as much room for them as for cunning masterminds. And if you don't think their honor is honorable, and that only your honor is the honor, then I guess you should prove that by defeating them. "Wat I fight", "How I fight", and "Wat is even defeat and winning" are important questions to ask yourself as an Arrow.
                  Oh, obviously-but the grand point is that that's a personal standard, not an order one.

The Arrows are honorable-but honor means many different things.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                    I want to focus on the point about Sun Tzu ( and similar texts ) quick conflicts resolutions ( like poisoning ).

Let's remind two of Phalaxes Arrows belives in:

Arrows believe in healthy debate regarding what is and isn't honourable. The worst thing an Arrow can do is stagnate and forget that their beliefs and their skills need to be honed and tested, and part of that is arguing about the finer details of Arrow philosophy. So there's probably Arrows who won't use poison and those who will, and they argue regularly... which everyone agrees is a good thing! This might mean that Arrows from the outside look like a rather competitive and argumentative bunch, which is quite a cool touch IMO.

Anyway, Arrows are honourable in the sense that they strive to uphold their ideal of personal honour whatever that might be, and that differs between the Arrows, though it tends towards a certain medium and Arrows who stray to far might well indeed be censured for such. And plenty of Arrows would be fine with supernally internalising the concept of poison as a weapon. Poison is subtle, poison is efficient, poison is cunning, poison strikes from the unseen angle and ends the fight before it begins. And others would say that poison is cowardly, poison is too easy, poison does not respect the enemy, poison does not allow one to test their strength fully. And indeed once an Arrow has mastered the technique of poison, they might choose to eschew it in order to develop themselves in other ways.

They're a funny lot, really, but quite varied and flexible in their outlook within the Order's tenets. And I like the idea that Arrows do, in the vast majority of cases, actually believe and try to fulfill the Order's tenets, because it's a bit tired and old when the group of honourable warriors turns out to be made up of self-serving wankers for whom honour is an excuse. I'm sure there are some Arrows like that, but the Order as a whole isn't, and when one is and gets found out, they deal with it harshly.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                      1) Fingers, dude, not Phalanxes.
                      I ran into this too when checking them out at the beginning of the thread, it does introduce them as fingers, but phalanxes is correct.

P40, 'The Adamant Way begins with the Hand. Each “finger” (normally called a Phalanx when referring to Arrow philosophy) reveals some truth about the nature of magic and conflict.'

I really like the Arrows, and think their book is probably the most interesting of the Pentacle Order books.

Comment

Arrows believe in healthy debate regarding what is and isn't honourable. The worst thing an Arrow can do is stagnate and forget that their beliefs and their skills need to be honed and tested, and part of that is arguing about the finer details of Arrow philosophy. So there's probably Arrows who won't use poison and those who will, and they argue regularly... which everyone agrees is a good thing! This might mean that Arrows from the outside look like a rather competitive and argumentative bunch, which is quite a cool touch IMO.

Anyway, Arrows are honourable in the sense that they strive to uphold their ideal of personal honour whatever that might be, and that differs between the Arrows, though it tends towards a certain medium and Arrows who stray to far might well indeed be censured for such. And plenty of Arrows would be fine with supernally internalising the concept of poison as a weapon. Poison is subtle, poison is efficient, poison is cunning, poison strikes from the unseen angle and ends the fight before it begins. And others would say that poison is cowardly, poison is too easy, poison does not respect the enemy, poison does not allow one to test their strength fully. And indeed once an Arrow has mastered the technique of poison, they might choose to eschew it in order to develop themselves in other ways.

They're a funny lot, really, but quite varied and flexible in their outlook within the Order's tenets. And I like the idea that Arrows do, in the vast majority of cases, actually believe and try to fulfill the Order's tenets, because it's a bit tired and old when the group of honourable warriors turns out to be made up of self-serving wankers for whom honour is an excuse. I'm sure there are some Arrows like that, but the Order as a whole isn't, and when one is and gets found out, they deal with it harshly.
                        Okay, I can see whole usage of poison ( and other quick solving resolutions ) as debate inside of Order that is less unified that many see it on first glance. Still, my gut's reaction is just 'poison is Guardians tool, not honorable weapon' - but I could be one of this romanticized kinghts / samurais in Arrows.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
                        MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
                        MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Comment

Which is your own cultural position filtering through, and Arrows are exactly the same; their position on the topic will be informed by their cultural position as seen through the lens of the Adamant Hand.

Personally I'd feel much the same way as you, instinctively anyway, but that's my cultural position too. Others wouldn't and it's good that the Orders don't dictate things with even nearly enough detail to make either of us right or wrong, because they need to be suitably flexible to contain a wide variety of characters.
                          Last edited by Solar; 03-21-2017, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Scary thought about Arrows:
                            Their dogma about existence being constant war and conquering desires of other souls could result in someone proving their worth through becoming the best serial killer ever. Each murder is literally you proving that your DESIRE to take life was superior to someone's DESIRE to be alive; each day you walk free, you are outsmarting people who want to serve you justice. In fact, every day you walk free you are conquering their DESIRE to punish you, basically bringing defeat to them in your every waking moment. Think about it.
                            Each time you kill someone, you not only become closer to your Supernal Self, but you also spawn an army of enemies who will try their hardest to catch you. And because you are constantly waging war against them, constantly defeating them, you are constantly perfecting yourself.
                            Just name yourself something like Killer Queen and you are golden to go.

Comment

Scary thought about Arrows:
                              Their dogma about existence being constant war and conquering desires of other souls could result in someone proving their worth through becoming the best serial killer ever. Each murder is literally you proving that your DESIRE to take life was superior to someone's DESIRE to be alive; each day you walk free, you are outsmarting people who want to serve you justice. In fact, every day you walk free you are conquering their DESIRE to punish you, basically bringing defeat to them in your every waking moment. Think about it.
                              Each time you kill someone, you not only become closer to your Supernal Self, but you also spawn an army of enemies who will try their hardest to catch you. And because you are constantly waging war against them, constantly defeating them, you are constantly perfecting yourself.
                              The Arrow has a left-handed legacy on this principle, I think.

Comment

And then name your rotes/legacy attainments things like "gunpowder gelatine" and "dynamite with a laser beam"?

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy focusing on Mind and Forces

Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy focusing on Matter and Prime

Comment

Working...
                                X