No announcement yet.

Signs of Sorcery Release date?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Brookshaw And I'm thankful for your response. Can you give us some rough estimation of FAQ arrival and if its gonna be a one time thing or something updatable?

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
      Deviant's not a burden. It's a priviledge. What I'm not paid for is being here and responding to threads like this. That's something I'm perfectly happy to do given time, but understand that my priorities are elsewhere right now.
      I know that feeling,Wishing you the best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by Moinen View Post
        Dave Brookshaw And I'm thankful for your response. Can you give us some rough estimation of FAQ arrival and if its gonna be a one time thing or something updatable?
        At this juncture, I wouldn't be surprised if the FAQ was released after Signs of Sorcery, as I expect the latter to answer at least some of our questions.

Dave Brookshaw : When might Tome of the Pentacle begin first drafts, and is there anything firm planned for after TotP? Thanks.

Comment

TotP will go into first drafts once Signs is in editing. Mage has one more approved book after that, but it's not been announced.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Heh.
            (characters)

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by branford View Post
              Although time consuming and low paying, I don't believe Dave views his role as the developer of Deviant or Mage as a "burden." In fact, precisely because of the low pay and resource demands, they're likely labors of love.
              Most certainly, and rest assured I did not wish to imply otherwise, nor disrespect anyone and anything about the persons, items, works, and gamelines involved. It's just that even the labors of love one can task oneself with can become more or less ... onerous? time- and resource-consuming? hard ? for a person, no matter how willingly and passionately they may engage so. I meant 'burdensome' in a neutral, not negative sense. Geez, folks, it's the same turn of words I'd use if I see a writer or artist self-imposing oneself a big amount of creative work, or a volunteer doing the same about charity work. If anyone found anything offensive or improper about my choice of words, accept my apologies, blame cultural and linguistic differences, and let's move on.

While I, too, am anxious for the release of Signs of Sorcery, it's not stalled, nor is it late in comparison to other CofD supplements. For instance, Secrets of the Covenants, the first Requiem supplement was only just released, and Requiem was published years before Awakening 2e.
              True, but I do not even dare making any schedule assumptions at all about products that did not yet reach first draft stage. I just try to eyeball them about stuff that is at some point of the release schedule, from first draft to proofing. According to my own perception and monitoring of the Monday Meeting Notes, SoS seemed to be significantly slower than several other products that had entered the pipeline at similar times, and I wondered about the reason. Up to 2e finalization, I thought they had mostly suspended working on it, since it promises to be a rather crunchy-heavy book, until they had the basic rules set in stone as a necessary groundwork. And I wondered what was the issue after that, if say parts of SoS had required rewriting at the development stage or somesuch.
              Last edited by Irioth; 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Irioth : It's become readily apparent over the last few years that it's almost to be expected that some projects will apparently languish at certain points, usually final development, art direction or approval. OPP does not provide explanations and they've made clear there are no promised release dates.

Additionally, I imagine that items such as Kickstarter reward and bonus content, materials that have been paid for, have priority on the schedule. OPP is a tiny company, often further restrained by license requirements, and even a small shift in resources or personnel can mean a project's release might be pushed back months or more.

Take some solace that Signs of Sorcery is hardly unique. Many of us are also anxiously awaiting books like Changeling 2e, the Dark Eras Companion, A Thousand Years of Night and others that have been "delayed" longer than SoS.

Comment

Originally posted by branford View Post
                  Irioth : It's become readily apparent over the last few years that it's almost to be expected that some projects will apparently languish at certain points, usually final development, art direction or approval. OPP does not provide explanations and they've made clear there are no promised release dates.
                  Oh, I know. There is scarcely a more avid reader of the MMN than me, and often some info about why a project is apparently delayed is provided there, even if it's just 'artist shenanigans' or Paradox folks taking their time for approval. This often helps tone down my impatience.

Additionally, I imagine that items such as Kickstarter reward and bonus content, materials that have been paid for, have priority on the schedule. OPP is a tiny company, often further restrained by license requirements, and even a small shift in resources or personnel can mean a project's release might be pushed back months or more.
                  True as well, admittedly the Kickstarter stuff may have gotten me a little spoiled, since a lot of OPP material gets produced that way nowadays, I have been a patron for most OPP Kickstarters, and you often get more info on their production state through KS updates than other books.

Take some solace that Signs of Sorcery is hardly unique. Many of us are also anxiously awaiting books like Changeling 2e, the Dark Eras Companion, A Thousand Years of Night and others that have been "delayed" longer than SoS.
                  Well, true about the general point, but about relative lengths of delay I find your comment funny since my perception has been the opposite. As a matter of fact, I have been using the fact books like Book of Secrets, Dark Ages Companion, C20, and A Thousand Years of Night are apparently closer to release (crosses fingers) as consolation for my frustration about SoS. These are among the other books I'm greatly interested in, so I've been closely monitoring MMN for them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

Well, true about the general point, but about relative lengths of delay I find your comment funny since my perception has been the opposite. As a matter of fact, I have been using the fact books like Book of Secrets, Dark Ages Companion, C20, and A Thousand Years of Night are apparently closer to release (crosses fingers) as consolation for my frustration about SoS. These are among the other books I'm greatly interested in, so I've been closely monitoring MMN for them all.
                    All the mentioned books sans ATYON are related to Kickstarter WOD projects, and thus will have resource and scheduling priority. Don't compare them to non-Kickstarter CofD projects (and don't get spoiled).

As to ATYON, keep in mind that the project has been around for years, and is only very recently proceeding apace because OPP brought in a new Requiem developer (or co-developer with Rose?). In the world of OPP CofD supplements, Signs of Sorcery is "on schedule," at least to the extent that term has any real meaning.

We simply need to be patient. I expect we'll shortly find ourselves pleasantly surprised when SoS leaves "development," and then dismayed once again as it sits in the purgatory of "art direction" and WW/Paradox approval. The book will come when it's "ready," and not a moment before.

Comment

I want to remind you we had S&S spoiler on Sariras 'only' dozen weeks ago. For the nowdays speed of work in OPP, it's 'lighting fast'.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
                      MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
                      WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                        I want to remind you we had http://theonyxpath.com/sariras-relics-of-ascension-mage-the-awakening/"]S&S spoiler on Sariras[/URL] 'only' dozen weeks ago. For the nowdays speed of work in OPP, it's 'lighting fast'.
                        Holy crap, how did I miss this? Awesome stuff! And some Obrimos related magic that doesn't seem to hate Obrimos! 2nd Ed is waaaaaay better at that so far, I remember that in 1e it always felt like some of the books had a real hate-on for the Obrimos

Comment

Some of the books make it as they fall on the schedule. Some come out the next season. There have been specific reasons that caused certain books to get behind and lags in lines. Brookshaw seems smart enough to have drafting stages of books overlap with the stages that require more of his attention with other books. No reason to believe one book could delay another by more than a week. Have a little faith.

Comment

Working...
                          X