Using Fate on Spirits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Fate on Spirits

So I'm putting our cabal's Acanthus against a storm spirit. Their battle is on a rooftop amidst a typhoom battering the city. Are spirits vulnerable to Fate magic? Are they affected by Boons and Hexes, and do they have Sympathetic links as well?

This could be a silly question, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. The Acanthus has Spirit 1.

Well, I think that Spirits are subject to Fate spells per the normal rules. Since I didn't saw any rule dictating otherwise.
    But I think that some spirits can't be affect by some Conditions and Tilts(Hexes), like, you can't blind a spirit that does not need to see.

As per the Sympathetic Links. I also think that this rules apply normally. On the Fallen World Chronicles there is a strange Tree that has multiple destinies attached to it and a spirit habitating it.

Homebrews:
    Vampire Bloodlines: Abhartach, Kiasyd
    Ordo Dracul Coils: Hunger, Primal Blood
    Mage Legacies: Infernal Ones, Daoine

Comment

Yep, feel free to hex away and exploit sympathies. Keep in mind though that the spirit's ban and bane probably trump any curse on it telling it to act contrary against it. No official rules on it AFAIK, but I'd say that either the curse flat-out fails, or the spirit goes overloaded on lowercase-p paradox and goes berserk.

MtAw Homebrew:
      Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
      New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Nah. The bane simply damages the spirit. It should be possible (though extremely unlikely to the point where it basically never happens) for the spirit to approach a bane on their own.
        Bans are also not that bad. Many bans have consequences for failing to uphold a ban, and it's mentioned that forcing an ephemeral to go against their ban is an Act of Hubris against Enlightened and Understanding Wisdom.
        Last edited by Tessie; 04-24-2017, 07:47 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

As long as you spend a reach to add spirit, I dot see why it wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Heroofthemists View Post
            As long as you spend a reach to add spirit, I dot see why it wouldn't work.
            You don't need to spend reach to make Fate able to affect them, you do need to be able to perceive spirits though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

You don't need to spend reach to make Fate able to affect them, you do need to be able to perceive spirits though.
              Or cast area affecting spells.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

I would assume Fate would work fine on spirits for just the same reason that Mind spells also do (despite my kinda sorta grudge against that).

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post
                  I would assume Fate would work fine on spirits for just the same reason that Mind spells also do (despite my kinda sorta grudge against that).
                  I also agree that mind to control spirits is abit Meh, but at least the withstand rating for mind is resistance for a spirit and not just rank its rank..

Comment

They still Withstand with Rank.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Mind can work on spirits because they have a conscious(ish) mind that mind magic can naturally detect. I would think that with Fate magic, unless the spirit materializes in front of your, you would need a couple of dots in Spirit to be able to target it. I don't see how fate would specifically locate the spirit otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Newes View Post
                        Mind can work on spirits because they have a conscious(ish) mind that mind magic can naturally detect. I would think that with Fate magic, unless the spirit materializes in front of your, you would need a couple of dots in Spirit to be able to target it. I don't see how fate would specifically locate the spirit otherwise.
                        Mind AoE doesn't target spirits because spirits have minds that the spell can detect and home in on. All AoE spells (regardless of Arcanum used) simply affects everything inside a targeted area (if it can be affected by that spell at all). Whether or not you can personally perceive those who area doesn't matter. A spirit in Twilight is still very much there. It's physically intangible, but that doesn't affect the spell's ability to target you.
                        Last edited by Tessie; 04-24-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                          They still Withstand with Rank.
                          even tho is says for psychic dominate resolve?, doesnt it then transfer to the spirits resistance, just like if it was stamina id be power? They get -1 dicepool to try bind a spirit via rank? Ive had this argument with my players in 1e, is mind controlling a spirit binding it? I said yes because theres no official "bind" term in mage and your using mind to "bind" it to your will?

#edit nvm saw it in the book....fuck sake, mind is still OP, get mind 2 first then work on seeing ghosts/spirits...
                          Last edited by totalgit; 04-24-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Mind AoE doesn't target spirits because spirits have minds that the spell can detect and home in on. All AoE spells (regardless of Arcanum used) simply affects everything inside a targeted area (if it can be affected by that spell at all). Whether or not you can personally perceive those who area doesn't matter. A spirit in Twilight is still very much there. It's physically intangible, but that doesn't affect the spell's ability to target you.
                            So an astrally projecting vampire and an angel lurking in twilight would both be hexed in the area too? My understanding of the defensive value of the twilight state takes another hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Newes View Post

So an astrally projecting vampire and an angel lurking in twilight would both be hexed in the area too? My understanding of the defensive value of the twilight state takes another hit.

Yes, they would also be affected.

[2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

Comment

Working...
                              X