Storing information in a spell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing information in a spell

Suppose you have a large store of information (like a hard drive) that you want to save, but for whatever reason you don't want to store it in some kind of physical medium. Could you cast a spell whose only purpose is to contain the information in question in order to allow for later retrieval? What arcana/practice would that be? What about including messages in otherwise normal spells that can be discovered by scrutinizing them?

Mind, Spirit or Prime would probably work. You could make a memory package and stash it in your Oneiros, or encode a goetia or spirit to be beings of the information you're attempting to store. Prime is a little trickier, but I think you could do something sort of like Square the Circle creating an area where information (With the limitation it has to be True) is made visible to MS.

Comment

Prime has Invisible runes & Scribe Grimiore (which creates a physical medium but proves prime can relay information), maybe combining invisible runes + another spell you can imprint stuff into spells?

Comment

You could use Mind magic to have someone memorize or store the information in their mind then you could use Memory Hole so they forget they have it.

You could ask a supernal being to hide it for you.

If it is in a physical medium, like a flash drive, you could transmute the medium to a different form, like water.

You could probably also use Wonderful Machine to transfer the data on a flash drive onto another device that wouldn't be recognizable as a data storage device.

You could send the information in to the future so it can't be retrieved until that date.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremysbrain View Post
          You could use Mind magic to have someone memorize or store the information in their mind then you could use Memory Hole so they forget they have it.
          Supernal Johnny Mnemonic.

Comment

All the options listed sound cool. Heres something similar I threw together at the request of a player a few days back. Its intended to let him 'record' what he sees through his glasses for later playback. I was probably a little lenient when I made this, so run by your GM before use.

Name: Record and Display
            Forces: 2 Practice: Ruling
            Primary Factor: Duration
            Cost: 1+ Mana
            By refining his control of both light and sound an Apprentice of Forces can bind visual information into a physical format for later playback.
            The mage must imbue the desired recording device with at least 1 Mana, which is expended when the Mage reviews the stored data, by investing more Mana in the initial casting you get more chances to review (Note more mana can not be added at a later date without use of Prime 3 'Channel Mana'). If the spells duration runs out before all the Mana is expended, it is lost.
            The information is revealed in a manner set when the spell is cast, but must be in the form of light and sound.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
              I've had a brainwave: can you use your signature nimbus to store the information? Your signature nimbus is automatically attached to any spells you cast, lingers even after the spell is gone, and you can spend a mana to deliberately mark something with your signature nimbus. I'm pretty sure that there was a preview that mentioned using spells to obscure/falsify your nimbus, so it seems reasonable that you could use prime to either encode the message using stenographic techniques or even by just replacing the nimbus with the information wholesale.

The next obvious question is how much information you could store this way, which makes me slightly uneasy since we are going into the realm of trying to apply fallen laws to supernal things.

Comment

Originally posted by solidork View Post
                Thanks for the responses.
                I've had a brainwave: can you use your signature nimbus to store the information? Your signature nimbus is automatically attached to any spells you cast, lingers even after the spell is gone, and you can spend a mana to deliberately mark something with your signature nimbus. I'm pretty sure that there was a preview that mentioned using spells to obscure/falsify your nimbus, so it seems reasonable that you could use prime to either encode the message using stenographic techniques or even by just replacing the nimbus with the information wholesale.

The next obvious question is how much information you could store this way, which makes me slightly uneasy since we are going into the realm of trying to apply fallen laws to supernal things.

Sounds like Prime Weaving to me, and I'd allow it. Pretty clever actually. I'd allow the spell to store a number of pieces of information up to Potency, and I'd probably make it Potency primary for that reason.

Comment

In an indirect way you could use any arcana provided it could leave a stable mark in a medium of sufficient complexity. For example, you could use Death to transcribe a whole database into ectoplasmic writing, and the information would be saved until and unless the ectoplasm was disturbed.

On a tangent, I keep remembering references to mystical information being recorded on skin of living beings. The Girl In The Garden, Jonathan Strange & Doctor Norrel, etc.

The audio from this in particular;
                  http://music.sjtucker.com/track/in-the-garden
                  Last edited by BunniRabbi; 05-04-2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1515 View Post
                    All the options listed sound cool. Heres something similar I threw together at the request of a player a few days back. Its intended to let him 'record' what he sees through his glasses for later playback. I was probably a little lenient when I made this, so run by your GM before use.

Name: Record and Display
                    Forces: 2 Practice: Ruling
                    Primary Factor: Duration
                    Cost: 1+ Mana
                    By refining his control of both light and sound an Apprentice of Forces can bind visual information into a physical format for later playback.
                    The mage must imbue the desired recording device with at least 1 Mana, which is expended when the Mage reviews the stored data, by investing more Mana in the initial casting you get more chances to review (Note more mana can not be added at a later date without use of Prime 3 'Channel Mana'). If the spells duration runs out before all the Mana is expended, it is lost.
                    The information is revealed in a manner set when the spell is cast, but must be in the form of light and sound.
                    I know the thread's not about this, but interesting to think about how the Free Council could support the argument that magic is advanced science when you think about something like this along-side the sci-fi conception of implants that let you replay memories. I've specifically got that Black Mirror episode "An Entire History of You" in mind, but the idea has a long history.

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
                    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by hm8453a View Post

I know the thread's not about this, but interesting to think about how the Free Council could support the argument that magic is advanced science when you think about something like this along-side the sci-fi conception of implants that let you replay memories. I've specifically got that Black Mirror episode "An Entire History of You" in mind, but the idea has a long history.
                      This is totally relevant to things that I have been thinking about for the same character. It seems totally possible for you to do a spell that uploads whatever you are looking at to Instagram as an image, but what would that even look like? Where along the process of your brain interpreting the raw input from your eyes do you pull from? The 'resolution' of the eye isn't uniform across the whole field of view the way cameras are, so it should look pretty different from normal images. Video is even weirder since your eyes are constantly darting around the environment and instantly focusing on different things. I love the idea that some Forces/Mind mage uploaded a video like that anonymously to Youtube. Almost everyone who sees it just thinks that its just a bad video or that the camera was malfunctioning; everyone else is locked in a flame war over if it is CGI, cleverly edited footage or if there is actually some kind of cyborg out there with super advanced brain implants or robo eyes.

I also put some thought into the idea of storing memories digitally and potentially uploading them to other people's minds. I wanted to use a process that is still engaging with cognitive science/computer science concepts even though that is totally unnecessary for awakened magic. I considered overriding all of the subjects sensory inputs with the ones from the recorded memory instead of implanting it and then having them remember it like any of their other memories, but I really liked the idea that the mage would have the subject watch some kind of video that was a series of arcane glyphs/obscure chanting the same length as the memory in question that he could easily target to replace with the stored memory.

Comment

Working...
                      X