Chronicle Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicle Help

I thought I'd create a thread similar to the ask a simple question thread, but more focused on setting and chronicle help, so please feel free to ask your own questions regarding getting help for your chronicles.

I started my 2nd 2e Chronicle today, also based in Boston (because I know it, having run 60 sessions in Boston over the years).

I have two players that have chosen workable concepts: Obrimos Perfected Adept & Moros Necromancer Investigator.

My third player has a really strange character concept: Acanthus junk-art scrapper with Matter as his 3rd Arcana and a rank 2 Raven familiar that is a Spirit of Greed. He's in the Adamantine Arrow and wanted his own Sanctum & Hallow (2 dots) which is a Sacred Tree in the secluded area of a city park.

I know it's off the wall, but this player really wants all this eclectic stuff and I really believe in letting people play the characters they want to play.

He's never played a WoD game before and I'd really like to figure out how to make this character work. Here are my questions:

1. Can a Raven Greed spirit make any sense?

2. Can a Sanctum based around a Sacred Tree in the middle of Boston Commons park make any sense? How can this be a Safe Place, for instance?

3. Is there an Acanthus Legacy with Matter as a 3rd Arcana make any sense?

I'd really appreciate assistance making this jumble of stuff all fit together somehow, because let's face it: The idea of an Acanthus Arrow Junk-artist Matter mage tasked with protecting a Sacred Tree with his Raven Spirit could be very cool.

Last edited by Johnny Awesome; 05-21-2017, 09:47 PM.

Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
    1. Can a Raven Greed spirit make any sense?
    A spirit like that makes perfect sense. I wouldn't consider it magath since greed is associated with ravens naturally. Then again, the Awakened are much more forgiving of magath than, say, the Forsaken are.

As a Familiar you have three options - a Rank 1 greed spirit that looks like a raven (one dot of Influence: Greed), a Rank 1 raven spirit that behaves greedily (one dot of Influence: Ravens), and a Rank 2 raven-greed spirit that probably used to be one of the former two (one dot each of Influence: Greed and Influence: Ravens)

2. Can a Sanctum based around a Sacred Tree in the middle of Boston Commons park make any sense? How can this be a Safe Place, for instance?
    Well... can the character somehow prevent people from coming to the tree? I'd say no. I'd just say there's a secret underground bunker or something under the tree, and have that be the Safe Place and Sanctum. The tree itself can be the focal point of a Hallow.

EDIT: And about the sacred tree Sanctum, it just occurred to me that the Acanthus are associated with fairies, and fairies are associated with mounds and underground kingdoms beneath such mounds. And hey, there are plenty of hilltops where they have trees growing on them.

3. Is there an Acanthus Legacy with Matter as a 3rd Arcana make any sense?
    There isn't any Path - 3rd Ruling Arcana combination that shouldn't be able to make sense. A junk scrapper may be initiated into or develop a Legacy that enchants seemingly worthless junk into mundanely useful items and supernaturally lucky charms.

EDIT: Or a Legacy that magically enhances the durability of objects so that they can bear the weight of time.
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 05-21-2017, 11:30 PM.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      As a Familiar you have three options - a Rank 1 greed spirit that looks like a raven (one dot of Influence: Greed), a Rank 1 raven spirit that behaves greedily (one dot of Influence: Ravens), and a Rank 2 raven-greed spirit that probably used to be one of the former two (one dot each of Influence: Greed and Influence: Ravens)
      You've also got Option Four: Any of the above Fettered to a raven.

Well... can the character somehow prevent people from coming to the tree? I'd say no. I'd just say there's a secret underground bunker or something under the tree, and have that be the Safe Place and Sanctum.
      This seems an excellent place to point out that Spirit Manses count as Safe Places and the possession of a Familiar without dots in Spirit most readily suggests a Mentor with the Arcanum. (It could also suggest run-of-the-mill Status requisitions, but concrete characters are a little easier to keep track of.)

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Thanks for the help. How do Spirit Manses work?

Comment

Oh, I completely forgot about Fettering and Spirit Manses.

Thanks for the help. How do Spirit Manses work?
          For its Duration, the Spirit Manse spell creates a Place-That-Is-Not (a location in the Shadow that does not correspond a location in the physical world). It acts as a Safe Place with dots equal to the spell's Potency. The mage decides the Manse's form, but it is colored by the symbolism of her Path and Nimbus.

For a Reach, the caster adds an Iris that connects the Manse to the physical world. This makes the spell Withstood by Gauntlet Strength.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

It sounds awesome, but why would a Master of Spirit go to the trouble of creating a Spirit Manse near this Sacred Tree so that a starting Acanthus could guard it and use it as a Hallow?

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
              For a Reach, the caster adds an Iris that connects the Manse to the physical world. This makes the spell Withstood by Gauntlet Strength.
              Incidentally, this latter fact combined with the specification of the tree being in "the secluded area" of the park might be decent grounds to have the place be built into a minor locus — perhaps the Manse is a hollow space for storage; depending on how much you feel like tying the familiar and the Sanctum together, perhaps the locus is conceptually resonant with the spirit.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
                It sounds awesome, but why would a Master of Spirit go to the trouble of creating a Spirit Manse near this Sacred Tree so that a starting Acanthus could guard it and use it as a Hallow?
                Perhaps he's your hands off mentor who's letting you use his resources, in exchange for protecting it.
                Perhaps it was some other Mage's, but he moved on from the city and you claimed it.
                Perhaps it's always been like that, and you claimed it when you found it.
                Perhaps you did him a favour, and he spend the Willpower dot to safely relinquish such a spell in payment.

Mages have an economy of favours.
                Last edited by HerbertIsBestBert; 05-22-2017, 04:07 AM. Reason: Other ideas

Comment

No need for a mentor character to build it for you. It's entirely possible that the sacred tree in question is at the heart of a naturally occurring verge.

Better yet - make it into a Mystery. Turn this unusual sanctum into a plot hook. There's an Iris in the tree leading to Another Place, somewhere the character can retreat when they need somewhere safe but that they're still exploring and don't entirely understand (my vote would be the Road of a dead archmaster).

Comment

If we are gonna have this be open to lots of new questions.

Q4: My new games first story covers digging through a creepy old house, which will go on to become the groups Sanctum. What can I fill it with?

Comment

Creepy house covers a lot of territory. Ghosts or spirits are appropriate naturally, it could be an old sanctum covered in warped spells left behind by the Mage who lived there previously and died suddenly, or there could be an Abyssal taint on the place. Etc.

Comment

What reason does the players have to choose that particular location for their Sanctum? If it's that one of them inherited the place and neither wants the Sanctum to be at their personal home then anything could go on in that old house, but otherwise you'd have to give them a reason to want to put up their Sanctum there. Once you have that reason you can put complications in place based on that reason.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Logocentric View Post
                          No need for a mentor character to build it for you. It's entirely possible that the sacred tree in question is at the heart of a naturally occurring verge.

Better yet - make it into a Mystery. Turn this unusual sanctum into a plot hook. There's an Iris in the tree leading to Another Place, somewhere the character can retreat when they need somewhere safe but that they're still exploring and don't entirely understand (my vote would be the Road of a dead archmaster).
                          Any chance this might work as a safe place in The Hedge or an Arcadian Verge instead?

Comment

Yeah, anArcadian Verge would be fine. I wouldn't make it connected to the Hedge though.

Comment

Ok. What would be a nice way to tie in the Raven/Greed Spirit if I go with the Arcadian Verge idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X