No announcement yet.

Chronicle Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2) Stygian assassins implies to me a Supernal entity, maybe generated as part of the traps in the Obsidian Palace, it managed to track down the thief and kill him, but ran out of time before returning to its circle. This would give you a chance to tie in the Abyss if you wanted.

1) In a last ditch effort the Supernal entity managed to drop the grimoire in a place it would likely be found by a Moros. It also did...something to the grimoire, binding a part of its existence to it before being snatched away or devoured by the Abyss (Similar to the Nemean leaving his heart outside the door to the Old Man by the Ocean). It either worked or it didn't, but properly investigated the grimoire might call out the Supernal entity or some Abyssal reflection of itself either to be sent back home more or less in one piece or to be contended with as it seeks to further corrupt reality.

3) The entity one way or another drops "hints" as to its origins in the Obsidian Palace implying, depending on what it is now, a source of greater knowledge, how it can be returned home, or a way to permanently destroy it.

Comment

I like these ideas. I'll probably marry them together.

Apostate thief cast a Veiling spell on the Grimoire that the Stygian assassin could not pierce (after killing the thief) before it ran out of time and was drawn into the Abyss after marking the Grimoire with part of its existence so that it could be re-summoned via a Grimoire ritual which requires the summoner to be in the Obsidian Palace. Of course, now that the entity has spent time in the Abyss it is warped in some way if it is brought back.

After the thief's termination the unsafely relinquished veiling spell went haywire and was found by the Moros by following the trail of strangeness.

So my follow up questions:

1. What is the Stygian Assassin?
      2. How was it warped by the Abyss?
      3. What do you think should be involved in the ritual at the Obsidian Palace to bring it back?
      4. What's a good way of the Grimoire leading to the Obsidian Palace without being too obvious about it?

Thanks again.

Comment

1. The Stygian Assassins role is to kill those who cross certain lines. I wouldn't make those lines ethical, because I like to treat the Supernal as amoral. It might be something esoteric like defying the cycle of life and death or, to take a cue from the Aeon of Death, trying to regain knowledge from the Time Before. The Apostate has somehow earned the Assassin's attention.

2. Having been corrupted, the Assassin desperately seeks to reaffirm its identity. To that end it tries to entrap others into breaking its rules, so it can follow its nature by killing them. This of course defeats its entire purpose as keeper of order. The Assassin also postpones the kill for as long as possible so it can take time loathing its targets. It paradoxically appreciates them for letting it hate them.

Alternately it might try to change the world to undo itself. If all knowledge from the Time Before is recovered, or cycle of life and death is utterly destroyed, then its purpose is negated and it's free from itself - whatever that means. It might struggle against its original programming to kill, making it erratic and unpredictable.

As for appearance, originally equipped with metal blades, they have now liquefied. Instead of cutting, the entity will drown you with metal. Its formerly rotting heart now takes a tortured semblance of life, pumping pus and maggots.

3. The Assassins corruption might have made the original ritual unusable, but if the Grimoire is still in sync with the entity, the book will be vital for the summoning. Perhaps doing the ritual properly has no effect, but making a mistake allows the Assassin to return.

4. The obvious answers are Postcognition and Scrying. If this is too easy, consider that the Obsidian Palace if a fragment of the Time Before, so it can confuse the reading, necessitating further investigation.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Thanks.

I thought you might want to know how the search for the Jade Pendant was progressing.

After figuring out that the Jade Pendant was purchased by a high society french speaking woman, the Moros PI character decided to call his Contacts to see if they might have any information on someone matching her description given in vivid detail by the pawn shop owner under the influence of Perfect Recall.

Maggie Yang (blogger on the unusual) told him that from her attire she seemed more Quebecois than French. Brenda (also under the influence of Perfect Recall), the Sleepwalker bartender at the Emerald Scroll said that a woman with a heavy french accent had been in a couple weeks ago with a well dressed man. He remembered that his name was Zechariah Crowther from his credit card. [I decided to let Zee be discovered through the Emerald Scroll as it might have been somewhere out of the way that he may have had meetings with Scelesti members of the Red Word from time to time - it was a bit of an easy trail, but I wanted to keep the story moving]

They did some Internet research to find his apartment. At 2 o'clock in the afternoon he was at work. The Obrimos used Control Electricity to get past the door security and they made their way to his 8th floor apartment. The Obrimos used Web of Life to find one human life behind the door. The Moros used Ectoplasm to shape a key to open the lock. They tried to call out to the human presence but received no response. The Obrimos (Vice is Hasty) barged in expecting to see someone. They were both surprised when Daddy (human transformed into a Temple Hound by the Hunger) lept to attack them from behind a sofa. The Obrimos side-stepped the attack and then cast Control Gravity to keep the creature suspended in mid-air.

The Moros tried to intimidate the beast into giving up information but failed dramatically. It let out a blood curdling howl which triggered the Moros Spooked Condition and he was reminded of Agartha's devouring by The Shinje. This caused him to onload his pistol into the beast, filling its track with Lethal. In a fit of fear and rage he finished the beast with Devour the Slain and failed the Wisdom roll that ensued.

Realizing that the other people in the building (known through the earlier Web of Life) would call the police regarding the hail of gunfire, they took a few minutes to quickly investigate the scene. The Obrimos found the cannibal cook book (Having Friends for Dinner) and a picture of Zee with his sister Annie. He found cannibalistic resonance with Mage Sight and the hidden freezer with several flayed humans hanging in it. The Moros used a Matter spell to find the gun casings and gather them up and cast Icognito Presence on himself. The Obrimos used Mutable Mask and they made their way out.

Upon exiting the elevator they ran into Annie returning from grocery shopping. The Moros sent a telepathic messsage to her as the elevator doors were closing on her: "If you want answers, come to the Emerald Scroll at 8 o'clock". They quickly made their getaway.

My question: What do you think Zee and Annie's response should be after they discover the open freezer, book missing and Daddy's corpse in a pool of blood?

I can involve Wendigo (a Thyrsus) from Waltman's Neck or any number of Red Word cultists. I feel that Zee wouldn't be stupid enough to just march into the Emerald Scroll and start a fight, given the number of Mages or other supernaturals that might be around at 8 pm.
          Last edited by Johnny Awesome; 02-18-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
            Thanks.

I thought you might want to know how the search for the Jade Pendant was progressing.

After figuring out that the Jade Pendant was purchased by a high society french speaking woman, the Moros PI character decided to call his Contacts to see if they might have any information on someone matching her description given in vivid detail by the pawn shop owner under the influence of Perfect Recall.

Maggie Yang (blogger on the unusual) told him that from her attire she seemed more Quebecois than French. Brenda (also under the influence of Perfect Recall), the Sleepwalker bartender at the Emerald Scroll said that a woman with a heavy french accent had been in a couple weeks ago with a well dressed man. He remembered that his name was Zechariah Crowther from his credit card. [I decided to let Zee be discovered through the Emerald Scroll as it might have been somewhere out of the way that he may have had meetings with Scelesti members of the Red Word from time to time - it was a bit of an easy trail, but I wanted to keep the story moving]

They did some Internet research to find his apartment. At 2 o'clock in the afternoon he was at work. The Obrimos used Control Electricity to get past the door security and they made their way to his 8th floor apartment. The Obrimos used Web of Life to find one human life behind the door. The Moros used Ectoplasm to shape a key to open the lock. They tried to call out to the human presence but received no response. The Obrimos (Vice is Hasty) barged in expecting to see someone. They were both surprised when Daddy (human transformed into a Temple Hound by the Hunger) lept to attack them from behind a sofa. The Obrimos side-stepped the attack and then cast Control Gravity to keep the creature suspended in mid-air.

The Moros tried to intimidate the beast into giving up information but failed dramatically. It let out a blood curdling howl which triggered the Moros Spooked Condition and he was reminded of Agartha's devouring by The Shinje. This caused him to onload his pistol into the beast, filling its track with Lethal. In a fit of fear and rage he finished the beast with Devour the Slain and failed the Wisdom roll that ensued.

Realizing that the other people in the building (known through the earlier Web of Life) would call the police regarding the hail of gunfire, they took a few minutes to quickly investigate the scene. The Obrimos found the cannibal cook book (Having Friends for Dinner) and a picture of Zee with his sister Annie. He found cannibalistic resonance with Mage Sight and the hidden freezer with several flayed humans hanging in it. The Moros used a Matter spell to find the gun casings and gather them up and cast Icognito Presence on himself. The Obrimos used Mutable Mask and they made their way out.

Upon exiting the elevator they ran into Annie returning from grocery shopping. The Moros sent a telepathic messsage to her as the elevator doors were closing on her: "If you want answers, come to the Emerald Scroll at 8 o'clock". They quickly made their getaway.

My question: What do you think Zee and Annie's response should be after they discover the open freezer, book missing and Daddy's corpse in a pool of blood?

I can involve Wendigo (a Thyrsus) from Waltman's Neck or any number of Red Word cultists. I feel that Zee wouldn't be stupid enough to just march into the Emerald Scroll and start a fight, given the number of Mages or other supernaturals that might be around at 8 pm.
            They threw magic around - remember that that can leave traces, both to conventional scrying (I didn't see any Time Shielding spell used) and by imposing their Nimbus on things. The book might have a tracking spell on it. Did they check for Ephemerals watching from Twilight? They grabbed the bullet casings, but did they bump into anything and leave clothing fibers or skin cells?

If they can identify who did it, they might seek their own leverage before the 8 pm deadline.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Thank you for the summary!

Consider that the siblings must now do damage control concerning the coming police and all the evidence in their house. If they're out of luck, they might even have to leave their lives behind and find shelter among other cultists. That's unlikely to put them in a good mood, to say nothing of seeing their father shot to death.

I assume they will search for whatever assistance they can get, including magic. On the other hand, they might feel this is too personal to involve help. If you want to keep it simple, have them force a proxy with a cellphone to come in their stead. The proxy's loved ones are kidnapped and held under threat of being eaten alive.

Comment

Well, I've decided that Annie will be able to clean up the mess in time and get Daddy in the freezer before the police arrive without a warrant. Everyone that heard the shots was at least 3 floors down so no precise location of where the shots came from can be discerned. Thus Annie will simply open the door for the police, but not let them in. ie. I can plausibly do whatever I want and don't want them to get caught by the cops at this time.

Zee and Annie are Sleeperwalker members of the Red Word. They don't have any direct magic, but have a good working relationship with some Scelesti in Waltman's Neck (Wendigo) and Howard's Rock (TBD).

Thanks for your help guys. I like the idea of forcing the proxy to come instead with a cellphone. I think I'll have Wendigo park a Raven Spirit for surveillance outside that can follow them back to their Sanctum (no one in the cabal has Spirit). I'll make Zee seem agreeable on the phone to lull them into a false sense of security and then have the Raven track them.

I guess ultimately I want conflict with the Red Word as a whole that might lead them to Waltman's Neck and then Howard's Rock etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Teatime View Post
                  1. The Stygian Assassins role is to kill those who cross certain lines. I wouldn't make those lines ethical, because I like to treat the Supernal as amoral. It might be something esoteric like defying the cycle of life and death or, to take a cue from the Aeon of Death, trying to regain knowledge from the Time Before. The Apostate has somehow earned the Assassin's attention.

2. Having been corrupted, the Assassin desperately seeks to reaffirm its identity. To that end it tries to entrap others into breaking its rules, so it can follow its nature by killing them. This of course defeats its entire purpose as keeper of order. The Assassin also postpones the kill for as long as possible so it can take time loathing its targets. It paradoxically appreciates them for letting it hate them.

Alternately it might try to change the world to undo itself. If all knowledge from the Time Before is recovered, or cycle of life and death is utterly destroyed, then its purpose is negated and it's free from itself - whatever that means. It might struggle against its original programming to kill, making it erratic and unpredictable.

As for appearance, originally equipped with metal blades, they have now liquefied. Instead of cutting, the entity will drown you with metal. Its formerly rotting heart now takes a tortured semblance of life, pumping pus and maggots.

3. The Assassins corruption might have made the original ritual unusable, but if the Grimoire is still in sync with the entity, the book will be vital for the summoning. Perhaps doing the ritual properly has no effect, but making a mistake allows the Assassin to return.

4. The obvious answers are Postcognition and Scrying. If this is too easy, consider that the Obsidian Palace if a fragment of the Time Before, so it can confuse the reading, necessitating further investigation.
                  I'm finally running this Chronicle again tonight. I don't think we will get to this particular story, but I want to be prepared.

I've decided to keep the Assassin's role as simply being to hunt down and retrieve stolen items from Stygia - in this case the Grimoire stolen from the Obsidian Palace. I like the idea that it marked the Grimoire as it was running out of time and chose to leave it there as it knew it would be drawn into the Abyss and didn't want the Grimoire to end up there with it. This marking will allow a Moros Mage to re-summon it from the Abyss in an appropriate place like the Obsidian Palace.

Given this, does anyone have ideas about what the original Hunter/Assassin might have looked like before and after being corrupted by the Abyss? What do you think a summoning ritual might entail?

Thanks again for your help, fellow STs.

Comment

Our options are varied and many. Did you consider which Arcanum to tie Supernal Assassins to, beyond Death? Such beings tend to have two, and you can tailor the other to fit your players. That would help narrow the symbolism down and suggest a distinctive thing it can do. Among things that can kill you suddenly or without you noticing:

(Death/Life or Spirit) Predators. Hounds in particular are often associated with death and doom (Fate), and are capable of pursuit (Space), killing and retrieval.
                    (Death/Life, Matter or Space) Spiders can use traps (Space) and poison (Matter), come in a variety of sizes and may wrap reclaimed goods in cocoons.
                    (Death/Life) Plague victims or plague carrying animals, from rats to mosquitoes. You can remove the middleman and use a miasma of disease.
                    (Death/Matter) Machines including, but not limited to, T-1000 from Terminator 2 or a disembodied intelligence possessing electrical devices (Killdozer).
                    (Death/Fate) Some discarnate thing that manifests through coincidences and events, like in the Final Destination series.
                    (Death/Forces) A display of eerie lights, killing you with heat or radiation. You can make an attack seem like an alien visitation.
                    (Death/???) A modern image of a hit-man has a feature of being subtle, but also showing that the Supernal isn't outdated.
                    (Death/Spirit) For something more ephemeral you can borrow from this eerie scene.
                    (Death/???) This guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Teatime View Post
                      (Death/Mind) A modern image of a hit-man has a feature of being subtle, but also showing that the Supernal isn't outdated.
                      Have it make liberal use of the Imposter (Mind 3) Spell, when it isn't simply running Incognito Presence (Mind 2) to get close to targets. Wrap everything up nicely with a No Witnesses bow, by using Memory Hole (Mind 2).

Death/Prime - Eidolon of the Perfect Assassin, or Words Of Death that make the target know they will/should die.
                      Death/Time - Erases the target from existence, like A Wonderful Life, except the target/victim doesn't get to go back.
                      Last edited by Vent0; 07-09-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I'll come back to the Grimoire at some point, but I thought I'd give everyone an update on how it went.

I had the Red Word kidnap (after school) the daughter of someone who works in the same building as Zee to force him to be the go-between at the Emerald Scroll.

Before the meeting, the PCs headed back to the pawn shop to see if the French woman was the one in the photo (no - actually Annie Crowther, Zee's cannibal sister). They did find out that the French woman walked in and specifically described and asked for the Jade Pendant. They headed to the Emerald Scroll after that around 7:30 PM.

The father showed up and was quite nervous, just trying to get everything over with. He handed a burner phone to the Moros PC (who uses Mind like crazy and probably should have been a Mastigos, LOL) and Zee called and demanded an explanation for the mess in his apartment. The Moros was fairly belligerent and demanded that Zee produce the French woman who purchased the Pendant. Zee indicated that she was out of town, but that he would call him on the burner phone when a meeting was possible. Zee indicated that the father could go home and that his daughter was fine back at his apartment.

The Moros got it in his head that he really wanted to protect this father & daughter and the only way to do that would be to escort them back to his apartment. He was hoping to confront the Red Word, but I decided they weren't stupid enough to fight them on short notice. The PCs were followed by a Raven spirit, undetectable as no one in the cabal has spirit.

They discovered that the daughter was safe and reunited her with her father. They just wanted to be left alone, but The Moros was insistent (Emotional Urging, passed Wisdom check) that they stay a couple nights in The Loft (Cabal's Sanctum) for safety reasons. The father agreed (due to Emotional Urging) and they packed and left. We ended there.

So, I figure that Zee and Annie and the rest of the Red Word want to dispense with the cabal, but aren't dumb enough to think they can do it without help. I was thinking of using Wendigo indirectly, by sending some kind of Spirit to help the Red Word attack them when the moment is right. My questions:

1. What would Wendigo send? He's no slouch (Fate 4, Life 4, Spirit 4, Prime 3).
                        2. When and where do you think the Red Word would attack?

Really appreciate the help.

Comment

1. I would let Wendigo empower the cultists with magic, preferably through sending them a temporary Imbued Item. Permanent Imbued Items require Prime 4, but Prime 3 might be enough for our purposes. We can also assume he had one laying around. You have a chance to add a neat visual. The Spell can be activated by smearing ash over the cultists, or carving sigils into their skin. Deactivating it could require washing off the ash, or healing the injuries with magic. Suggested Spells, and you can bundle multiple ones into one effect, include:

Exceptional Luck (Fate 2)
                          Warding Gesture (Fate 2)
                          Honing the Form (Life 3)
                          Transform Life (Life 3)
                          Wards and Signs (Prime 2)

I don't know how much of a challenge each Spirit would pose for your players, so you need to make that decision. I assume Wendigo will work with what he knows (classic Mage tunnel vision) and send an unpleasant nature spirit. Maybe even a Gulmoth, if you're not worried by revealing the Abyssal connection too early:

Command Spirit (Spirit 2)
                          Bolster Spirit (Spirit 3)
                          World Walker (Spirit 4)

In addition:

Many Faces (Life 3) can be used to disguise a cultist as someone under the PCs' protection.
                          Ephemeral Enchantment (Prime 3) can make a Spirit able to use material weapons. Without Spirit Arcanum your PC need to disable the weapon or turn it against the user.

The Cult themselves are no strangers to kidnapping people. They must have some basic tactics and equipment they feel comfortable using. Above that, they can get Sleeper witnesses to provoke Paradox, and suffer from your PCs' careless casting. That last tactic requires some minor adjustments. Any Spirit Wendigo sends over must be capable of Manifesting and willing to cause havoc without magical coercion. Enhancements they Cultists get should likewise be on the subtle side.

2. If they're smart they won't attack Mages while they're in their Sanctum. They will try to lure your characters out. They can do this through offers of parley, or by using the Moros' attachment against him and kidnapping the mother of their protected family, or letting Wendigo use Fate to have them run into one another. Wendigo of all people should know you don't give Mages time to prepare, so the attack could come as soon as convenient. They can also send people to ransack the Sanctum while the Cabal is occupied.
                          Last edited by Teatime; 07-10-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Seeing as Imbued Items are off the table (baring homebrew or hacks), Spirit 4 has Craft Fetish - give the cultists a few Fetishes with useful Influences or Numina. If you want to be nasty, there was that Countermagic Numen from 1E's Astral Realms you might convert (or was that done in Dark Eras?).

Comment

Cultists are probably fairly easy to convince that Possession is a good thing, letting a portion of their god ride in them or whatever lie you want to come up with. The advantage is that when a spirit Possesses someone it can spend Essence to heal Lethal damage on a one for one basis which effectively turns them into Wolverine. They also are much more difficult to control with Mind or Life since the Spirit can impose a CoW before any such spell can set in. If the Spirit stops Possessing a cultist, and still has Essence, it can become another combatant and regains access to its Numina and Influences.
                              Last edited by Mrmdubois; 07-10-2018, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Really great suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                X