X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Awesome
    started a topic Chronicle Help

Chronicle Help

I thought I'd create a thread similar to the ask a simple question thread, but more focused on setting and chronicle help, so please feel free to ask your own questions regarding getting help for your chronicles.

I started my 2nd 2e Chronicle today, also based in Boston (because I know it, having run 60 sessions in Boston over the years).

I have two players that have chosen workable concepts: Obrimos Perfected Adept & Moros Necromancer Investigator.

My third player has a really strange character concept: Acanthus junk-art scrapper with Matter as his 3rd Arcana and a rank 2 Raven familiar that is a Spirit of Greed. He's in the Adamantine Arrow and wanted his own Sanctum & Hallow (2 dots) which is a Sacred Tree in the secluded area of a city park.

I know it's off the wall, but this player really wants all this eclectic stuff and I really believe in letting people play the characters they want to play.

He's never played a WoD game before and I'd really like to figure out how to make this character work. Here are my questions:

1. Can a Raven Greed spirit make any sense?

2. Can a Sanctum based around a Sacred Tree in the middle of Boston Commons park make any sense? How can this be a Safe Place, for instance?

3. Is there an Acanthus Legacy with Matter as a 3rd Arcana make any sense?

I'd really appreciate assistance making this jumble of stuff all fit together somehow, because let's face it: The idea of an Acanthus Arrow Junk-artist Matter mage tasked with protecting a Sacred Tree with his Raven Spirit could be very cool.

Last edited by Johnny Awesome; 05-21-2017, 09:47 PM.

• Johnny Awesome
    replied
    I like the book as written. Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I like the hidden distillery idea and will likely run with that especially since the spirit familiar of one of the PCs is attracted to alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by EW-Matias View Post
    The fact you think the real life nations whose lands were occupied to found Boston are equivalent to a fictional cabal is kind of galling and shows you are completely missing the point here.
    I clearly didn't say that, and your characterisation is highly offensive.

Leave a comment:

• EW-Matias
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Well, you're parroting back the wrong name for the Ebon Noose which isn't terribly impressive either. It reads like you're arguing with 2ptTakrill's somewhat faulty memory of the book, rather than with the book itself.
    The fact you think the real life nations whose lands were occupied to found Boston are equivalent to a fictional cabal is kind of galling and shows you are completely missing the point here.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by elzopilote View Post
    I mean the fact that you can't even use the names of the local nations in Boston honestly kind of deflates your argument,
    Well, you're parroting back the wrong name for the Ebon Noose which isn't terribly impressive either. It reads like you're arguing with 2ptTakrill's somewhat faulty memory of the book, rather than with the book itself.

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    The idea was based upon what is in the book, a work of fiction. I'm not making an argument, just offering a suggestion based upon what someone else printed as part of the setting.
    The honest truth is you can't use real tribes (or other historical groups) accurately without offending someone. No one alive today can accurately say what did or didn't happen as all records are recorded with a biased view point. This is doubly true in an admitted work of fiction.
    If I was writing this book the first thing I would do is make up groups and advise that they have no real world counterparts.
    I'm sure when the author wrote the book they chose to use cannibal spirits, as opposed to say bear spirits, because they lead to more interesting antagonists.
    If you want you can overturn it at your table. You can make anyone the villain, if this book was written at that point in history they probably would have blamed the French, of course you still risk offending someone.
    No offense was intended, just a suggestion on how it might be tied into the written setting.

Leave a comment:

• elzopilote
    replied
    Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
    No one said the natives were cannibals. The Boston Unveiled book tells of how native mages used cannibal spirits to attack the settlers, spirits not the natives. Then it tells of how the original Ebon Knot Cabal used a dread ritual to summon the Prince of 10,000 Leaves to rewrite history so that the natives never released those spirits against them.
    It was the last surviving member of that Cabal that started the Red Word, as the meal in a cannibal ritual.
    The native shamans were just using a violent spirit as a weapon. That is what Spirit mages do.

I mean the fact that you can't even use the names of the local nations in Boston honestly kind of deflates your argument, the use of cannibal spirits might be a part of the setting but that doesn't mean it can't be overturned. The Ebon Knot cabal can be fully blamed for the entire incident and in fact, if I was writing this expansion to the Boston setting for use I'd make the cannibal spirits an afterthought or even a 10,000 Leaves fantasy which can be scrutinized and torn down by PCs.

In fact, if I were doing this reimagining I would probably even trouble the idea that the Ebon Knot was confronted primarily with Thyrsus or Spirit-users as a part of a historical fantasy of settler colonialism on the supernatural landscape.

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    No one said the natives were cannibals. The Boston Unveiled book tells of how native mages used cannibal spirits to attack the settlers, spirits not the natives. Then it tells of how the original Ebon Knot Cabal used a dread ritual to summon the Prince of 10,000 Leaves to rewrite history so that the natives never released those spirits against them.
    It was the last surviving member of that Cabal that started the Red Word, as the meal in a cannibal ritual.
    The native shamans were just using a violent spirit as a weapon. That is what Spirit mages do.

Leave a comment:

• elzopilote
    replied
    Originally posted by EW-Matias View Post
    I HIGHLY advice against using "cannibal natives" tropes because it's racist af.
    Especially since the Pequot and Wampanoag and other Boston-local Algonquin-speaking first nations people had no similar traditions, but you could use echoes of the Pequot and "King Phillip's" war as a basis for the mysterious substance. It might be forgetting/erasure resonance from tainted ley lines distilled down into a derivative of mana refinement. The more recent historical monograph, Christine Delucia's Memory Lands could serve as some inspiration for examining the underbelly of settler colonialism which the Boston mages are based on.
    Last edited by elzopilote; 07-16-2019, 10:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EW-Matias
    replied
    Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
    The lost innocence would be an echo of whatever resonance it once had, while the cannibalism would come first from the native Awakened using cannibal spirits against the European settlers, then in recent history by the willingness of people to use, abuse and destroy others for selfish profit or to satisfy appetites.
    I HIGHLY advice against using "cannibal natives" tropes because it's racist af.

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    Given that it is a 5 dot Hallow that no one else had claimed it should be somewhat hidden. This leaves the question of how your characters found it, did they inherit it?

For a less difficult background that is still interesting how about tying it to Prohibition?
    Place the Hallow in a hidden cellar down in the basement where the remains of a Prohibition still, possibly even a small speak easy, lie forgotten. Any drink produced with the still, even if the alcohol content is weak, absorbs the Mana producing liquid Tass.

For a small but potentially interesting mystery you could place it on an underground Ley Line that passes under the Combat Zone in China Town.

If instead you just want it to be a 5 dot Hallow that only recently came into being you could instead make it a product of the 'Big Dig' that has only recently been discovered.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Awesome
    replied
    Your ideas are really good, but these are new to Mage players and I'd like something more positive for their 1st Hallow. I'm fine with the resonance being lost innocence (prostitution, Mama Desta's soulless children, etc...), but don't want the Tass to be drug related as the plot of my first story revolves around a mysterious drug. Any ideas for how the Hallow's tass could work with this?

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    Roxbury has a strong history of crime and violence and as written in Boston Unveiled even today it resists attempts at gentrification. It is also home to Mama Desta, a Tremere Lich.
    It would fit that the duplex once served as a crack house and a house of prostitution, mixing the business of both.
    If it is a 5 dot Hallow then it will have a long history with the Awakened, or if a new Hallow something extreme must have happened here to form it.
    Going the former I would give it a mixed resonance of lost innocence and cannibalism.
    The lost innocence would be an echo of whatever resonance it once had, while the cannibalism would come first from the native Awakened using cannibal spirits against the European settlers, then in recent history by the willingness of people to use, abuse and destroy others for selfish profit or to satisfy appetites.
    As ST I would be inclined to give it the Addictive or Toxic negative trait, possibly both if being really mean. The Toxic would present itself as a drug related substance that can get you arrested if caught carrying it about.
    In the end it would be a big 'kick me' sign for the Red Word.

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    What's the place's story?

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Awesome
    replied
    The new cabal has their Sanctum in an old dilapidated duplex in Roxbury. What would be a good 5 point Hallow concept for this Sanctum?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X