Over a year and no new books...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irioth View Post
    The Secrets of the Covenants example, among others, just proves this is not just an isolated issue with Signs of Sorcery or the MtAw line, it has been a systemic OPP problem. It benefits no one blaming individual Devs for the issue who probably have been overworked, distracted by having to wear too many different hats, and/or lacking sufficient resources but It is plain in the last few years OPP had a serious bottleneck and unbalance between ambitions and resources problem with several books getting seriously delayed or being apparently stuck in certain phases, such as development, for far too long. Say what you want, a project lacking apparent progress for 1-2 years is not business as usual even for RPG publishing, or at least it shouldn't be.
    And yet, Onyx Path has published an astounding 11 full books and a good deal more supplementary material not in book form in the past 6 months. You gotta remember, OPP has a fuckload of properties they work on.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Gowing by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Honestly, the 2e core was good enough to keep me playing forever. I don't need new material to keep me interested in Mage. I'd love to see new material and it will keep me coming back for more, but at this point they could stop and I'd still be very happy. I know that's just my opinion, but really, isn't anything else just a bonus?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
        Honestly, the 2e core was good enough to keep me playing forever. I don't need new material to keep me interested in Mage. I'd love to see new material and it will keep me coming back for more, but at this point they could stop and I'd still be very happy. I know that's just my opinion, but really, isn't anything else just a bonus?
        As it concerns Signs of Sorcery specifically, my feelings at reading its content blurb released a year ago is this book is basically the second volume of the corebook (esp. as it concerns the Yantra and magical items parts) and its lack makes me perceive the 2e core as incomplete. I had more or less the same feeling about Mage20 before HDYDT and much more so Book of Secrets were released.
        Last edited by Irioth; 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
          The Dark Eras 2 Kickstarter is next Thursday, the 6th.
          On that note... with the Mage Dark Eras, there actually has been a significant amount of material released for Mage in the last year. Almost as much as the Free Council sourcebook. That's not insignificant, and it certainly puts to bed the notion that nothing has been produced for Mage lately.

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

As it concerns Signs of Sorcery specifically, my feelings at reading its content blurb released a year ago is this book is basically the second volume of the corebook (esp. as it concerns the Yantra chapter) and its lack makes me perceive the 2e core as incomplete. I had more or less the same feeling about Mage20 before HDYDT and much more so Book of Secrets were released.
          You and I have very different readings of the Core 2e then. Mage 2e strikes me not only as being complete, but as the most thorough and expansive corebooks of all of the 2e lines.

CofD booklists:
          Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

How true is it that because Werewolf and Mage didnt get a kickstarter, the books have been slower because of it?

Mage 2e is far from complete, explain the imbued item/artifact rules to me then. The fact so much gets discussed means that there has been alot of confusion etc. Any book (FAQ or signs) that helps shed light on stuff that was briefly mentioned in the core but could use with more extended text will help resolve it.

Comment

Complete is not the same as perfect, and the rules will never be perfect. They are complete.

Comment

Mage 2e is far from complete, explain the imbued item/artifact rules to me then.
                Unclear != incomplete

Comment

I just wish OPP hired people to put out a reasonable number of books out.

Comment

Well, spread the word, get people buying things, posting their wants and requests. Can't justify increasing expenses if profits won't make up for it.

Comment

OPP puts lots of books out in total but spread over their lines they release pretty slowly IMO. Very slowly in fact. I'd like to see more Mage stuff myself, been running my game for a while now and wanting Signs of Sorcery pretty bad.

Comment

Much like other industries, OPP does what it can based on it's budget and manpower. The manpower is partially (mostly?) derived from its budget, which in turn is derived from its customer base. If OPP can't sell enough copies of books of any given game to justify focusing their effort on that game, then they won't focus on that game. That includes the incredible, amazing, astounding, addicting Mage the Awakening game.

You want to see Mage books come out faster? Convince a hundred people that this game is worth buying the core rulebook (because it is). I want to see Mage books come out faster too, so I do my best to convince my friends that its a game worth playing. I've already managed to get three friends to buy, and we've already played several sessions together (so I know that they enjoy the game).

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
                          I just wish OPP hired people to put out a reasonable number of books out.
                          First of all, it's not as simple as "just hire more people". Hiring people costs money, and if the books don't make enough money to cover that cost, the company goes under.

Second of all, Onyx Path is publishing more than a book a month right now. Mage is only one out of over twenty games they produce. It has to wait its turn.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                          My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Gowing by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Plus there's a learning curve involved in this stuff. If they did just hire people to write stuff and get it published as quickly as possible, you wouldn't likely be getting good stuff.

That said, the call for writers is always open, if you or someone you know thinks they can write fast and well and wants to make money doing so then put it in an application.

Comment

Listen, if drive-thru RPGs award system is to be believed Mage The Awakening is one of the top selling games. In my opinion the main reason they concentrate on other properties like pugmire is because they own them and they aren't going to go down in a ball of flame like the rest of the world of Darkness becase of those new idiots running it now.

Comment

There is also something to be said about oversaturating the market, and releasing unbalanced materials. If too many books are released, the game looks too big/ omex and more people won't invest in it than will. If books are released too quickly then they won't be balanced within the world they are set in. Imagine if Mages suddenly had an option that let them create Angels of their own, or if they could permanently replicate themselves, or even just make a sun in their hands at low level. Cool ideas, very unbalanced in the world of darkness. Alternatively, The options may be underpowered, resulting in there not being used. These things take time in order to be a viable but not making the base game worthless.

Comment

Working...
                                X