No announcement yet.

Grimoire - What do they look like

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that is how you and your group see it then change it in your group, that is the best choice. It is obvious that it doesn't matter what others say that you will continue to argue that it shouldn't be that way, so make it the way you want.
    Last edited by Hardwire99; 08-09-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I think you are missing something here. A book that a Mage uses to teach other Mages their Spells or Rotes isn't necessarily a Grimoire. It could just be a book of instructions in the classic wizard studying and trying to master the spell sense. A PC could study such a tome and use it as justification for spending the Experiences to learn a Rote. Or even to gain Gnosis if they are reading something truly revelatory for them.

A Grimoire is a specific magic item that lets a Mage that doesn't know a Rote cast it anyway and allows them to do so with Rote Quality. It also counts as instructions like above that lets a mage learn the Rote.

Comment

Hardwire99 We have already changed it. Right now I am just discussing my view on, replying to the post. I am sorry if it seems like I am trying to argue (I might be mixing the two terms here).
        It happens with my real life group as well where a solution or similar has already been reached, but I still like to discuss it. Not so much to convince, but more just to hear others opinions on in.

ElvesofZion Uuh. That is a good way of looking at them. It is not "THE" way to teach new Rotes. It is a tool to cast magic.

But I still cannot see how the text limits the spell since no other spell is limited in this way. It doesn't follow the rest of the mechanics for spellcasting.
        But as I said, when looking at it as a tool, I kindo want to keep it instead of scrapping, keeping that special tool for prime. Just gotta find a way to make it fit so my head can accept it :P

Comment

Originally posted by Neros View Post
          But I still cannot see how the text limits the spell since no other spell is limited in this way.
          You're talking about a spell in the same Arcanum as "the targets can understand you as long as you're telling the truth." Prime's language-about-language shtick doesn't work so well if encoding a rote in physical media doesn't involve some degree of actually encoding the rote.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Neros View Post

But I still cannot see how the text limits the spell since no other spell is limited in this way. It doesn't follow the rest of the mechanics for spellcasting.
            But as I said, when looking at it as a tool, I kindo want to keep it instead of scrapping, keeping that special tool for prime. Just gotta find a way to make it fit so my head can accept it :P
            What Satchel said. Also, no other spell contains the knowledge of a spell in it the way a Grimoire does. Other spells have their own limitations based on the way they work. Control Fire only works on fire, cause that's what it does. Scribe Grimoire requires you to encode the spell on a physical medium cause that's what it does.

Comment

Originally posted by MtA pg 166
              Scribe Grimoire (Prime •)
              Practice: Compelling
              Primary Factor: Potency
              Cost: 1 Mana
              Withstand: Total Arcanum dots of all Arcana used in the spell being scribed.
              Suggested Rote Skills: Crafts, Expression, Occult
              By means of this spell, the mage gives physical form to the mudras of a particular Rote, creating a Grimoire (see p. 101). This spell has two slightly different, albeit related, applications: The mage may either inscribe a Rote she knows, or she may copy a Rote from another Grimoire she has on hand. Only a single Rote can be inscribed per casting of this spell, but a given Grimoire may hold multiple Rotes at a time: A large book can hold anywhere from 10–15 Rotes, while a fist-sized carved stone might only hold one or two, and a computer database could hold a theoretically unlimited number.
              When the spell’s Duration expires, the inscribed Rotes fade and cannot be recovered.
              +1 Reach: For one point of Mana, the spell’s Duration is Lasting.
              As magical tools that takes the form as an object that contains information it behooves the creator to make it in a physical form that causes deciphering it to be a challenge and thus a sort of test or rite of passage and/or a piece of Equipment (CofD pg 100) in its own right.

Originally posted by CofD pg100
              Repositories: Any collection of research materials and knowledge sources. A library of books, a database, and an assortment of security footage all count. A character doesn’t need to build a repository to benefit from an already-existing source; this only reflects the activity of gathering materials for repeated future use. If the player purchases the Library Merit for a repository she built, the Merit stacks with the equipment bonus, to a maximum bonus of five dice.
              Plans: Characters can “build” a plan to orchestrate a complex encounter with a specific goal involving multiple people, like a heist, a raid, or a rescue. If successful, this piece of “equipment” grants its bonus to everyone involved, but winks out of existence as soon as the plan definitively succeeds or fails. The Storyteller shouldn’t force the players to come up with every little detail of the plan —abstraction is what the dice are for — though if the players are gung ho about the particulars, that’s fine too.
              Mystical Equipment: Anything that carries minor supernatural potency, such as a circle of protection using salt and bone, a protective amulet, or a werewolf trap made of silver, counts as mystical equipment. For more rules about using a spirit’s bane in wards and other rituals, see p. 138.
              Using a written Plan as a Grimoire is my favorite of those three. Of course I'd also like Scribe Grimoire to be the first Rote a Prime wielding character of mine puts into a Grimoire, because you know, it's a bit recursive and that tickles me a bit.

The Equipment building rules are generous enough I'd only bother creating a Grimoire without making it Equipment if there was true haste involved.

And there is plenty of elitism in Mage that making it a rite of passage to decipher it fairly common too, I'd think. I mean obsessions, hubris, arrogance, and pride are themes in this game.
              Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 08-10-2017, 05:40 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
              "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Right.

http://theonyxpath.com/grimoires-mage-the-awakening/

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Here I was excited to start a new topic only to find I've been scooped by Dave himself! Awesome to see more previews, now it's time to voraciously devour it!

CofD booklists:
                  Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Really flattered that my widely acclaimed example of grimoires in play warranted a dev response. No need to thank me by name, I felt the love.

2E Legacy Updates
                    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                    Storm Keepers

Comment

"The sheer speed and ephemeral nature of transmitting and storing digital information plays
                      oddly with the permanence of a rote Imago, causing some e-Grimoires (as techné
                      practitioners call them) to generate extraneous data by themselves, corrupt a drive into
                      something with bizarre properties, spawn magical computer viruses, or even develop
                      rudimentary artificial personalities.
                      "

Sith Holocrons, here we go!

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                        "The sheer speed and ephemeral nature of transmitting and storing digital information plays
                        oddly with the permanence of a rote Imago, causing some e-Grimoires (as techné
                        practitioners call them) to generate extraneous data by themselves, corrupt a drive into
                        something with bizarre properties, spawn magical computer viruses, or even develop
                        rudimentary artificial personalities.
                        "

Sith Holocrons, here we go!

Elsewhere in Signs of Sorcery, there's rules for absorbing a Goetic copy of a dead mage's personality from a soul stone and having them as a mentor in your Oneiros, among other things.

Comment

+2 Reach: The mage can scribe a Grimoire into the Anima Mundi. Such Grimoires manifest
                          not as books and scrolls, but as vast constellations of stars or rock formations. Figuring out
                          how to read one constitutes a Mystery unto itself.
                          I would do this all the time for no reason other than how cool it sounds.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                          [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                          [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

If it sounds like it would be best depicted as a 70s album cover, do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                              Elsewhere in Signs of Sorcery, there's rules for absorbing a Goetic copy of a dead mage's personality from a soul stone and having them as a mentor in your Oneiros, among other things.
                              That's really nice. I'm looking forward to that part.

I also got the idea of finding Ruins of the Time Before in the Middle East and find a whole stash of ancient Grimoires. Only problem is that these particular ruins were previously discovered and used by the mages from Kish, and every single Grimoire contains multiple Acamoth and Gulmoth via the Haunting Grimoire spell.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

Now I kinda wanna make an "alloy soul" nameless order that seeks Daimonomikons to get wholesome unrelated attainments in by which they flay their souls for a little bit more of a diverse attainment arsenal.

Or a grand artefact that could inscribe mage sights into whole populations which could lead to mass awakenings or an abyssal incursion the likes of which the world has never seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X