Grimoire - What do they look like

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malus View Post
    Now I kinda wanna make an "alloy soul" nameless order that seeks Daimonomikons to get wholesome unrelated attainments in by which they flay their souls for a little bit more of a diverse attainment arsenal.

Or a grand artefact that could inscribe mage sights into whole populations which could lead to mass awakenings or an abyssal incursion the likes of which the world has never seen.
    A Legacy made of Plug-and-Play souls (or Soul Stones, rather)?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Just looking at the grimoire spoiler Dave just dropped, can someone break down what the hell a palimpset does for me? I've read it over a few times and am still confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

A Legacy made of Plug-and-Play souls (or Soul Stones, rather)?
        Depends on how Reapery you wanna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
          Just looking at the grimoire spoiler Dave just dropped, can someone break down what the hell a palimpset does for me? I've read it over a few times and am still confused.
          Can let you recreate the Rotes with new Skill Mudras, without being a Master. I think.

Comment

‚ÄčI came away thinking that was the point, Palimpset is a name for and way of creating things that no one really understands.

At least we now know that all Rotes are recorded in High Speech, however it is recorded and conveyed.

Comment

Rereading, I get palimpsets now, except that it appears that when they're first explained it says you can't learn the twisted rotes out of them with XP, but then in the Create Palimpset spell it says that you can and that they retain their twisted effects when you do.

Comment

It's in the description of Scribe Palimpsest; they give extra Reach or weird additional effects to the newer still-legible rotes, as well as letting you use rotes that might not be common knowledge by studying the scraps.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

*Reads preview*

*Looks at who wrote Grimores section*

*Remembers primary threme of planned era expansion*

*Runs away giggling manically*

CofD booklists:
                  Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post

I would do this all the time for no reason other than how cool it sounds.
                    Extremely same. I want to do an Astral-focused chronicle so bad and the previews for SoS make it even stronger.

2E Legacy Updates
                    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                    Storm Keepers

Comment

Potent Nimbus 2 + Potent Resonance + Cognoscente:

EDIT: Potential things to correct:

Scribe Daimonoiomikon lists Gnosis 2 as mandatory to use the spell, however considering that the spell uses Adept level practices, which require the Mage to be at least Gnosis 3 (or Gnosis 4, if you want to have two or more Arcana at an Adept level), this restriction is basically redundant.

Also, considering what drawback Cognoscente gets, are you supposed to get Occultation 3 or Fame 3?
                      Last edited by Prometheus; 08-13-2017, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                        If it sounds like it would be best depicted as a 70s album cover, do it.
                        If you don't run at least one game based entirely off this principle, you are missing out.

Comment

Interesting Dave Brookshaw .. Been looking forward to something like this since I started reading deeper into Grimoire's :P

But in the sneak peek on p. 2 under "Imbued Grimoires", it sais:

"By the same token, Imbuing an item that's already a Grimoire requires extra successes equal to the highest number of Arcana dots involved among the rotes in the Grimoire"

What are these successes it mentions? As fare as I know, you don't need any successes to make the Grimoire.. Just Potency and subject to cast on..

Comment

You need successes to imbue an item, though

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Is the Potency used to determine Palimpsets twisted effect equal to full potency of Scribe Palimpset, or is it post-withstand potency? Is the "twisted effect" determined once after completing the palimpset and then used for every subsequent out-of-palimpset-casting, or is it determined anew for each instance of out-of-palimpset-casting? What happens when the Arcanum dots gained from Potency would go over 5?

EDIT
                              As far as I understand for now, when finalizing Palimpset, GM determines Arcanum used to create Blended Effects, and then they have to add those on each palimpset-casting using it's current effective Potency as a budget.
                              Last edited by WHW; 08-14-2017, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Enthusiastic Creative Thaumaturgy based on pure speculation? But of course!

Superlative Luck (Fate Ruling) + (Spirit Weaving)
                                For the Duration of this Spell, its target gains a Resonant Condition for Spirits of accidents. This takes place even when the Spell is used to place a Boon, so the target must be planning to engage in acts of sabotage, if they're not to offend the denizens of the Shadow.

Terrorize (Mind Unraveling) + (Time Patterning)
                                In addition to being flooded with fear, the target also experiences a vision of a horrifying future. This Prophecy is accurate unless interfered with, and may depict anything that would terrify the target, whether related to their life or not.

Control Light (Forces Unveiling) + (Death Fraying)
                                Light modified through this Spell has the additional effect of inflicting the Stunned Tilt on Cthonians.

I've sometimes felt that Spells in Mage are rather sterile, but accepted it as a necessity of the system. Palimpsest Rotes are what I always wanted to have from Awakening, but were afraid to ask. However, if I read the preview correctly, the following Spell couldn't be produced by a Palimpsest, due to doubling down upon the same Arcanum - we'd get an extra Reach instead.

Purge Illness (Life Shielding) + (Life Weaving)
                                Purged pathogens are vomited out by the target and upon touching inert matter are transformed into poisonous fungi for the duration of the Spell.

There are also a few things I feel are ambiguous:

+ I assumed that each Rote has a fixed blended effect from the moment the Palimpsest is completed, as opposed to making each casting unpredictable. Am I correct?
                                + Could a Mage benefit from Arcanum 5 blended effect, if they only have a single dot in the Rote's main Arcanum? The text suggests they can.
                                + Could any Mage, whether a Master or not, create Rotes based on echoes from a Palimpsest? The text suggests they can.
                                + Could Rotes with extra Reach be learned by a Mage, or do they remain a unique property of the Grimoire? The text suggests the former.

I also have doubts concerning Daimonomicon as a Merit. A five-Dot Grimoire gives a character access to 10 Rotes they wouldn't otherwise have, and even when fully internalized, the Grimoire still aids spellcasting. A five-Dot Daimonomicon on the other hand doesn't grant any powers until the player spends Experiences on Attainments, and at that point the Daimonomicon becomes mostly useless to it's owner - at least from a mechanical standpoint. With Sanctity of Merits, Daimonomicon is merely a piggy bank for Experiences, with minor use as a sympathetic Yantra. Even Techné is only worth two Dots.
                                Last edited by Teatime; 08-15-2017, 03:35 PM.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Working...
                                X