Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awakening Relics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Awakening Relics

    So, does anyone know anything about Relics that Mages bring back from their Awakenings? I think this is going to be one of the topics discussed in Signs of Sorcery?


    Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn, Contagion RMCs; Scion - Mysteries of the World, Wild Hunt

    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

  • #2
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    So, does anyone know anything about Relics that Mages bring back from their Awakenings? I think this is going to be one of the topics discussed in Signs of Sorcery?
    Where's this from?

    I mean, there's a mention that artifacts sometimes get brought back with newly Awakened.


    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah - it's an excuse to buy Artifact as a Merit in character creation. Signs has a few more Awakening-only Merits that you can *only* buy when a character awakens (or, more usually, when creating them later in life) and a discussion of weird, "metamorphic" awakenings where the world you come back to isn't exactly the world you left, usually as a result of wandering away from the Tower while in the Supernal. Things like the acanthus sig character Sunjata, who started his Awakening in the pirate Caribbean, took a wrong turn in Arcadia and arrived in 1990s Boston.


      Dave Brookshaw

      Comment


      • #4
        The metaphysics of which should be familiar to those who've read Imperial Mysteries - the Watchtowers project safe-ish areas of the Supernal Realm around them. If you go too far, you run the risk of altering the symbols making up the world and especially your own place in the world, and when you reenter Fallen Reality, you experience what archmasters call Apoenia.


        Dave Brookshaw

        Comment


        • #5
          Good to know my suspicions were in the money. Acanthus metamorphic Awakenings are easy to imagine though, I'm excited to see what's likely to happen to those on other Paths.

          Comment


          • #6
            So, potentially, you could have a character pursue archmastery in order to undo a change they made when they first awakened?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
              Yeah - it's an excuse to buy Artifact as a Merit in character creation. Signs has a few more Awakening-only Merits that you can *only* buy when a character awakens (or, more usually, when creating them later in life) and a discussion of weird, "metamorphic" awakenings where the world you come back to isn't exactly the world you left, usually as a result of wandering away from the Tower while in the Supernal. Things like the acanthus sig character Sunjata, who started his Awakening in the pirate Caribbean, took a wrong turn in Arcadia and arrived in 1990s Boston.
              Well, now I know what I want to see in the next open dev blog.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                Yeah - it's an excuse to buy Artifact as a Merit in character creation. Signs has a few more Awakening-only Merits that you can *only* buy when a character awakens (or, more usually, when creating them later in life) and a discussion of weird, "metamorphic" awakenings where the world you come back to isn't exactly the world you left, usually as a result of wandering away from the Tower while in the Supernal. Things like the acanthus sig character Sunjata, who started his Awakening in the pirate Caribbean, took a wrong turn in Arcadia and arrived in 1990s Boston.

                Never, absolutely never, take a wrong turn in Arcadia.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by branford View Post
                  Never, absolutely never, take a wrong turn in Arcadia.
                  Pandemonium sounds so much better, eh?


                  Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That would probably result in you waking up in Antarctica or something.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This makes me wonder whether Relics are things the character actually draws out of the Supernal, or mundane objects that absorbed thr energies of that higher reality via proximity and sympathy.

                      Man, Dave, you're just sparking new game ideas every time you post lately.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                        That would probably result in you waking up in Antarctica or something.

                        Or your sympathetic connections warping. Best friends turned deadly enemies, childhood rivals are now ex-lovers, that sort of thing.


                        Dave Brookshaw

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I wonder then if getting lost in Stygia may mean that you end up in the body of another (recently deceased) person, or getting lost in the Primal Wilds with waking up in the "wrong body" (that is, unconsciously changing your body or gender while Awakening) and not remembering how you looked like before. I'm not sure, however, I have a clear view of what getting lost in the Aether may mean, unless you end generating a thunderstorm/wildfire/any other natural disaster around yourself.


                          My Homebrew Signature

                          "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

                          I now blog in here

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                            I wonder then if getting lost in Stygia may mean that you end up in the body of another (recently deceased) person, or getting lost in the Primal Wilds with waking up in the "wrong body" (that is, unconsciously changing your body or gender while Awakening) and not remembering how you looked like before. I'm not sure, however, I have a clear view of what getting lost in the Aether may mean, unless you end generating a thunderstorm/wildfire/any other natural disaster around yourself.
                            Especially considering the Prime side of Aether, I don't have any idea either. I can imagine some Forces effects (maybe), but not Prime...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This sounds like a wonderful mechanic for my "one day I will play it" character, a Moros who ended up in an accident and the physical remnants and shards of the car crash took root in the character, becoming an artifact condition of which is directly related to that characters health, with removing it being equal to killing her. Will something like that be possible using these rules, or extrapolating from them?

                              ...or should I save that concept for Deviant
                              Last edited by WHW; 08-16-2017, 04:14 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X