X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wormwood
    started a topic You as a Mage

You as a Mage

Due to being awake at an ungodly early time since I worked through the night, I felt like it was time for this. Sorry Korogra and Nyrufa, I just couldn't wait ^^"

For the other Threads, see

You as a Vampire

You as a Werewolf

You as a Beast

As the tradition goes: If you were a Mage, what sort of Awakened would you be? What Path would you be part of (and why?), what Order would you join? Your Arcana? Would you want to join a Legacy? What would you typically be doing?
    And what would you be as an Archmage?

I'll start us off.

Path: Obrimos
    Reason: I belief in will. Not just will as the product of happenstances, but the reflective, aware decision that is to know oneself, and to change oneself. Control over oneself has always been fascinating to me, and the mind is probably one of the most intriguing constructs that exist. All of these come together in the Mastigos. While I can respect certain taboos, I am a at odds with the concept in and off itself - something I belief an Awakening to the Path of the Iron Gauntlet would only enhance. I can traverse social bodies and not end up adrift on the fringes, but I find myself often annoyed by certain structures that have become accepted as necessities: the small talk when both have better things to do, the false friendliness, the hipocrisy.
    I am probably one of those who would rather not deal with goetia, and instead focus on other uses of Mind. I could definitly see me try for the Eleventh Question Legacy after some time and preperation.
    However, my given, not chosen Path would be Obrimos. Because if I am honest with myself, what draws me, intrigues me and pulls at my heartstrings is power, and the knowledge of and for power, and direction for using that power. I am convinced of the existence of reality-governing laws, as well as their necessity.
    As an active believer, an Awakening would most likely integrate that faith, and if not that, I am rooted in science and a fundamental conviction that everything and anything has rules, laws that govern it - even if I may not be privy to them. I have no problem with holding up two seemingly contradicting concepts at the same time, seeing both as equally valuable and correct - I didn't go Elodoth without a reason in You as a Werewolf.

Order: Mysterium
    Reason: I went Bone Shadow, I went Ordo Dracul, and I went Makara (well, 1/2 times) - the pursuit of knowledge is a thing with me, has always and will probably stay with me for a long time. I am a curious guy, and the more reasons there are for me NOT to know something, because it is dangerous, forbidden or the like, the curioser I am about it. I like the feeling of exploration, of discovering, and who did not want to emulate Indiana Jones at least once? And now, the ancient past (a thing I already adore) has the benefit of holding mythical knowledge - how could I ever say no? Traveling the world would be absolutely a thing for me, and I would not be particularly bothered by withdrawing from Sleepers other than my family (who I could still write/phone with). As a prospective teacher, I am a proponent of first-hand experience, and

Legacy: Despite going Mysterium, I could see myself join the Perfected Adepts. Martial Arts have always been a fascination and hobby of mine, and to combine the useful with the pleasent only makes sense to me. I would have to whip myself back into shape, but with such a goal, that should provide plenty incentive to grit my teeth and pull through.

Arcana: Forces 2, Prime 2. Some Life and Matter. Finally, sometime later, a bit of either Space or Time. Forces and later Matter especially could build on my current knowledge/understanding of Science, specifically Chemistry (which is something I'd dare say I have as a Speciality).

Daily Business:
    I would probably be a comparatively chill Obrimos, due to the aforementioned "looking at the word through different lenses" thing. Chances are I'd be quite obsessed with accumulating knowledge, and would (sadly) certainly have my share of stupid decisions that would be born of Hubris. I would certainly fall prey at some point to overvaluing Arcane Insights in comparison to lifes, although I wouldn't steep so low as to become violent (I think. Hope). Nonetheless, I think I'd be a valuable addition to the Mysterium. I would definitly travel around, and Forces, Life and Matter should make that a bit easier. My own social skills should also help here.

Archmage: Wow. Should I life long enough and be lucky enough to get there... well, the possiblities are pretty much endless. If I reached that, why stop there? Work towards Ascension! =D But seriously, just enjoy the awesome that is the supernal every once in a while. Take strolls in the Fallen world, albeit strolls with a purpose. "I take walks. Very enthusiastic walks." If possible without directly or grossly violating the Pax Arcana, I'd actively leave breadcrumbs, or even attempt to groom mages to become masters. And try to stay alive, of course =P Only a paranoid Mage makes it this far, and if it served well until then, why stop`? =D

• Poseur
    replied
    Path: While "everyone" loves the Acanthus with their attitude towards free spirit and making it their own tale, so do I ofc. But I'm to much a believer in structures and not being free to choose although still bound by our own actions and free will. This paradox is probably the reason together with a constant idea that both myself and others should try and strive towards improvment of oneself as well as humanity, mostly in a philosophical and ethical way. This self-examination and constant struggle with my mind, both purely academical as well as from mental issues get's me to think Mastigos would be the better choice. Boundless and self-improving, seeing the physical realm as a lie and that all is connected true thought, seems like the path for me. Mastigos it is then.

Order: If the Pentacle get's me first and indoctrinates me into their propaganda i would probably go with Mysterium or the Free Council. I do believe strongly in knowledge but also that not all knowledge are meant to be used, or as a Libertine cus humanity is beautiful even with all it's ugly sides and flaws. However I would not really enjoy the dogmatic politics and their holier then thou morals that so much of the Pentacle holds, such elitism and downplaying on humanity is horrible, and was i in it i might become a Banisher instead; mages are monsters, and horrible uncaring holier then thou monsters at that.
    However even tough I'm a firm atheist, i would probably be with the Seers of the Throne, if the Gods actually where real and there would actually be good proof of that, it's just foolish to be thinking you could actually war against them. You might better be on the winning side and try to be a decent person and help. Probably in the Eye ministry or joining a lesser ministry or a self founded Pylon and be as lonely from politics as could be. When one realizes that the Seers are horrible persons beyond measure and the Gods are insane in the most derogatory of meanings it's probably to late to leave or just stay as you where. This leaves it to the only reasonable solution of given the choice, nameless and trying to not get into the way of others, probably as a subject in the local Consilium, for those guys are at least less horrible then the Seers.

Legacy: I know to little about them to choose one, but probably one that focuses on exploring the soul and mind, trying to improve upon yourself and others.

Obsession: Wisdom. I would probably study what Wisdom actually means and how to improve and keep it up and read and write books on this subject.
    The Astral: well who wasn't interested in Jungian ideas as a kid? Did that fascination ever die, not really even thou i don't believe in it. If it was real though, i Would explore that as much as possible.
    The local Vampires: Given how much me and my friend talks about how the local vampires would be and behave and everything like that in our hometown for the lolz, that would really spill over as an obsession to understand them, their politics, their systems and their magic, properties of blood and Vitae etc.

Arcana: Well i think it would be fair to state that Mind would be the first one to explore and master. Second would probably be space, it's just so fascinating the mystical properties of Space, not the difference in literal space, but sympathy and how that affects relations. After that would probably be death and fate. Death to explore other parts of the soul and twilight as well as the underworld and ghosts. Fate because it needs no introduction how awesome that arcana is and how useful it is.

Daily business: Mostly i would go about my normal routine and life, trying to stay away from mages as much as can be done. Study, talking and chilling, exploring and thinking. However i would pick up meditation a tid bit more serious and probably start to be more and more reckless, focusing more on mage things and less on studying mundane things.

Leave a comment:

• xiongrey
    replied
    I've thought about it since I made the post and I'm still unsure if I would stray away from using the ShadowName of Odin despite or even because of the danger of Fate Bound bodily unfortunate implications. The more I think about it, I would prolly use two or more Shadow Names with Ásynja and Odin being two common names.

The unfortunate implications may scare me enough not to use it or use the name often, but at the same time the image of mastery and magic would def be a draw. Odin himself lost his eye to gain knowledge, wisdom, and more magic (and prophesy). So it's really hard to say if I would use Odin as a ShadowName or not. Likely I would fluctuate depending on who I was dealing with at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Prometheus
    replied
    I would actually be pretty similar. Also note that if you would want to study the Soul, you might want to create a Legacy that would help you to understand and perfect it. Possibly by understanding and working with your Daimon, in the current Mage lore no one really knows much about those things *and* they represent a person's drive to self-improvement. A Legacy like that would coincidentally have Death as a Ruling Arcanum, probably with Prime as a Secondary Arcanum. How convenient.

I would never become an Archmage, because I would see them (and struggle to understand how other Awakened don't) as mages who still had contradictions and imperfections in their Souls, and despite that burned themselves into the Supernal, while generally having (at that point already Supernal) ideals contradicting those of other Archmages and their own. Clashes between those ideals would inevitably lead to parts of the Tapestry being composed of mutually contradicting symbols.

Arrogant mages who can't wait until their Souls are enlightened and who cause parts of reality to become corrupted. Now where did I see that before.

As for Soul crafting, I can actually see 10th degree Mastery potentially working. The way I see the Arcana, Death is ultimately about conceptual borders and endings and the five Subtle Arcana (the Soul) is all there is. However, Death interacts with the other four Arcana by restricting their concepts, it takes the multitude of possible timelines represented by Fate and focuses reality into only one represented by Time, for example. The same with other combinations in ways representative of the other Arcana, with the dull Matter of reality (distinguishable from Life by its lack of agency) mirroring the, themselves static, borders of Death itself. Why I'm saying this is because Archmasters can use Death Imperial spells to create a Soul, but their own Souls are already part Supernal and can therefore manipulate both layers of reality, Supernal and Phenomenal. They can pretty much squash reality as they see fit, despite the consequences. Normal mages cannot do that, they can only overwrite a part of the Phenomenal world with a Supernal meaning of the symbol.

Now, despite not using Imperial magic, you might still be able to create a Soul by using all 10 Arcana Masteries, by not only using the standard 5 Subtle Arcana of the Soul, but also the 5 Gross material Arcana to "shape" the Death part of reality and essentially create not only a Soul composed of the five Subtle Arcana in a given space, but create an entire new piece of reality made out of all ten Arcana, that we could then identify as what is considered a separated Soul. In this case, you also didn't overwrite anything (which gives tantalizing clues, that a 10th degree Master could potentially make Lasting versions of all spells that don't inherently clash with reality). I think that mages don't realize that Soul is made out of only five parts, sure, but whenever you see it in the Twilight, you also see it *in the material world* (which Twilight is). To create a Soul, you need to emulate that connection.

By the way, Twilight itself could be seen as the border created by the Death Arcanum between and in the Subtle Arcana leading to the existence of material reality. And don't even let me get started on what role I think the Omphalos has in humanity and derived species possessing unique Souls...

Leave a comment:

• oeruli
    replied
    Alright, let's do it. I don't think I'll have as easy of a time with this one as I did with Werewolf, but I think I can come up with something.

Path: Hard to be certain. A mage does not choose their path. Their path kind of happens to them based on circumstances. I could just as easily awaken as an Acanthus (whose awakening begins by seeing patterns and breaking them) as I could a Moros (whose awakening begins at the beginning of a great change in their life - the end of one and the beginning of another), or any other path. It all depends on the circumstances in my life at the time.

That said, there is something eerily fitting about the Obrimos awakening. I am a university student who studies biophysics, and so I think it would be quite interesting if my awakening began with me spotting a flaw in the material that I studied that no one else can see. In spotting patterns and shoving away inconsistency, I would find an answer that makes no sense in the world of the lie.

I don't imagine that I would come out with the belief in a God, but still perhaps some sort of universal order or a body of universal governing laws. I would likely treat magic as a science and study each arcanum as a field of the science of magic - where biology, chemistry, physics etc. are fields of science, life, forces, space, etc. are fields of magic. While I may end up as an expert of one, I would be interested in them all and would be frustrated with my inability to grasp death the way that mages of other paths would.

Order: In Werewolf, I saw myself as a member of either the Storm Lords or Iron Masters. Similarly, In mage, I could see myself as either being a member of the Silver Ladder or the Free Council.

Regarding the Silver Ladder, their ultimate goal is to awaken everyone. If everyone were among the awakened, there would be no need to worry about the Sleeping Curse. This is a goal I can get behind. Of course, I might also decide to join the Silver Ladder out of a sense of responsibility and a desire to foster good leadership in awakened society.

Regarding the Free Council, I am a scientist. I don't know if there is much else I really need to say about why I would join the Free Council. That said, I could easily imagine myself becoming a sort of black fish in the Free Council - while I could easily get behind their symbolism and their use of science in their magic, there seems to be a sort of group think ideology in the Free Council that I don't think I could abide by for long. "Many Libertines honestly believe that a decision made by a group, or one directly empowered by a group, is more likely to be right than one taken alone." I'm not sure I believe this. A decision's rightness or wrongness is independent of the number of people who agree with it.

In Werewolf, I said that I think it likely that I would first join the Iron Masters and the Storm Lords later. I think it similarly likely that I would start by joining the Free Council and then later decide that I don't mesh with it as well as I thought - after which I would leave and join the Silver Ladder (if they will let me). I like the way that Silver Ladder symbolism is an expression of leadership, but not rulership. Leadership is not undertaken as a right, but as a responsibility.

Legacy: I'm not familiar with the Legacies enough to decide on one. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

Arcana: The fact of the matter is that I would ultimately want to become a 10th degree master, and as I said, the idea of having to struggle with an inferior arcanum would frustrate me, even though I get that it is the result of a path's philosophy and mindset. I can see myself quickly getting the hang of Forces, Prime, Life, Spirit, and Matter, while I imagine I would have a particularly challenging time with Fate and Death. Death would be my inferior arcanum as an Obrimos mage, but when it comes to Fate, I would see fate in the opposite way that Acanthus mages see Forces - mages are will-workers, their will becomes reality - what is the point of manipulating the threads of destiny when I could just manipulate reality? Things happen because we make them happen, not because they are fated to happen.

I am aware that 10th degree mastery is pretty unbelievable in and of itself. That is part of the allure of it. I would aim for 10th degree mastery. I probably wouldn't get there, but I would still try.

Obsessions: Here are some things I could see myself being obsessed with, certainly in the short term.

The Soul - as someone who doesn't believe in souls, it would be quite fascinating for me to learn that souls not only exists, but that as a mage I could gain the power to interact with them and manipulate them.

Paradox - Paradox would be quite a frustrating concept to me, and I would be interested in learning to understand it so I could avoid it. That said, if I should learn that it is possible to control paradox by allowing it to happen, I worry that I would become Scelesti.

If Science was part of the Lie, what is the Truth?- Magic gives me a new window into studying the natural world - which I suppose would be the Lie. If what I had studied all my life was the Lie, then what is the truth? I would use the scientific method to learn to understand the Truth - hypothesize, test my hypothesis, modify my hypothesis, test again, repeat. The scientific method is enhanced with the use of magic as a tool to study both the Truth and the Lie. I would use my insight into magic to learn the truth and to better understand the lie, for understanding the lie helps me learn to circumvent it and reveal the truth. It's kind of a long term obsession, but I can see myself getting really hung up on this in particular. My pursuit of science is about learning the way the world works, and I would obviously have a lot of work to do if I awoken and discovered that everything I thought I knew was wrong.

While people tend to think of science as the body of knowledge discovered, it is also important to understand that science is about the method of discovering said knowledge. The awakening and the use of magic would serve as tools I could use to discover the real truth, but the method of making an educated guess and refining my ideas by testing them thoroughly until I have enough evidence to support it - or find conflicting evidence enough to discard it in favour of something else.

Daily Business: Chances are I would be compelled to take on a leadership position at some point - especially if I felt as though I could lead awakened society better than its current leaders. While I study my obsessions and learn to wield magic, I would try to keep a finger on the pulse of awakened politics. I would involve myself if I felt my involvement was necessary.

Archmastery: When I read about souls, I saw the blurb about the possibility of creating a soul and found it fascinating - but it also mentioned that 5th degree masters of the subtle arcana have thus far failed to create one. I would wait until I achieved 10th degree mastery beforehand. I mean how is it that Death and Spirit are necessary components, but not Life? The other overt arcanum seem less likely, but who knows? Better to have full mastery of all magic just in case.

Should I make it to 10th degree mastery or beyond, I suspect that I will be rather important, since even 5th degree mastery is absurdly rare. I suspect I would have to teach a lot of less experienced mages, which would be fine. I like teaching well enough, and I'd probably do a pretty good job. Then again, the demand would probably be pretty absurd.

I sort of like the idea of the wise monk/mentor who lives in isolation away from awakened politics and teaches students who put in the effort to find me and learn from me. I don't know that I would reach that state of wisdom and enlightenment, especially with the annoyance of paradox and the temptation of controlling paradox. Then again, ignorance may turn out to be bliss in that regard. I can dare to hope that awakened society is good enough at governing itself to the point where I need not involve myself.
    Last edited by oeruli; 11-18-2017, 11:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Don't you die on us!

Leave a comment:

• Mrmdubois
    replied
    Runes have the downside of being applicable to only one kind of spell. For instance you could have a rune tattoo on you that you use as a Yantra when you cast Body Control on yourself, but it won't be any good for casting Honing the Form. That's how I read it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Rune tatoos are explicitly stated to be usable as a yantra, so I don't see why it couldn't be a dedicated one.

Tools become dedicated because either they were present during/after awakening (first thing you touched is a common origin) or took it upon themselves to create one.

ArchonAres ambiguity gives a character depth and makes him more interesting Also, same, man. I mean, with a name like Lightbringer, possibly in dovah zul or R'lyehian? =D

Leave a comment:

• xiongrey
    replied
    Dedicated Magical Tool: Ansuz Necklace (unless a tattoo works.)

This is a Hard One. I have a necklace with an Ansuz written on it. Swinging that around or some such to cast my magic might be one way. Maybe the Garnet Necklace (My favorite stone) given to me by my fiancé. Can tattoos be a Dedicated tool? My future Ansuz tattoo would be good.

Hmm, reading up on Dedicated Magical Tools, one sec. What all can a Dedicated Magical Tool do? How does one become a dedicated magical tool?

Both the Ansuz Necklace and Tattoo fit right nicely with my Nimbus so as long as a Tattoo works (though how would you use a tattoo for casting??) that would be preferred but I doubt it works so the necklace is the more likely.
    Last edited by xiongrey; 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by ArchonAres View Post

None taken. I continuously recognize that the things that interest me very easily have negative connotations and slides into darkness (and not just the fun kind). On the same note though, I mean, who wouldn't get excited for inventing a new explosive element or super-acid.
    I'd like to say me, but I'd be lying. Maybe my character and yours could be teammates/rivals? I make new materials and designs and have you test your newest acids, explosives and destructive spells against them.

Leave a comment:

• ArchonAres
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    No offense, but that Obsession makes you sound like a supervillain

None taken. I continuously recognize that the things that interest me very easily have negative connotations and slides into darkness (and not just the fun kind). On the same note though, I mean, who wouldn't get excited for inventing a new explosive element or super-acid.

Leave a comment:

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Touche. For what is a visionary supervillain bit a scientist who abandoned ethics

Become Doctor Horrible. So you get to be a supervillain AND a scientist.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
    Or, like, a scientist? =D Seriously, half of science boils down to "Does it break if I x?" or "Can I use this to break x?"
    Touche. For what is a visionary supervillain bit a scientist who abandoned ethics

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Or, like, a scientist? =D Seriously, half of science boils down to "Does it break if I x?" or "Can I use this to break x?"

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    No offense, but that Obsession makes you sound like a supervillain

Leave a comment:

Working...
X