Spell Control Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spell Control Issues

One of my players has the Sanctum Merit, which as I understand, adds additional spell control 'slots' per dot in the Merit. He's at Gnosis 3 with 1 dot in Sanctum, so he can carry 4 active spells simultaneously.

1. Is he required to cast of those 4 spells in the vicinity of his Sanctum to avail of the free slot?
    2. What if he casts a warding spell on his Sanctum and leaves the spell on its own? Does it count toward one of his active spells?
    3. Should he reach the maximum 4 active spells, can he have more as long he keeps spending Reach?

I've read the rules, but I have trouble interpeting them.

While in the Sanctum you can cast additional spells equal to your Sanctum dot above and beyond your Gnosis without needing any additional Reach for exceeding your spell control. If you leave your Sanctum and then cast a spell you now need to consider all spells as if they were only on your spell control, i. e. you will have to Reach harder as you significantly exceed your regular spell control now. So...

1. Yes, within the Sanctum in fact.
    2. Yes. Spell control does not care for the subject of the spells. If you cast them (and have not relinquished them) they are on your spell control.
    3. Yes. You can theoretically have infinite spells on your spell control, but the increasing Reach for exceeding your spell control will quickly pile up to unpleasant levels.

Essentially, the intended strategies for using the Sanctum Merit are...

1. Laboratory: Being able to experiment with many spells at once in your home, without additional Paradox risk.
    2. Fortress: Being able to raise up significant magical defences in case of threat, without additional Paradox risk.
    3. Prep Room: Cast many buffs on yourself before leaving the Sanctum to face a challenge in the outside world. You do not intend to cast anymore spells when facing the challenge, relying on the ridiculous buffs you have already provided for yourself.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

1: Yes
      2: Yes
      3: Yes

I've myself have house ruled the Sanctum merit so that it increases the spell control, you just need to cast the extra free ones inside your sanctum, but after you can so to speak ignore them.
      In you case, as long as you cast one of those spells inside your sanctum, you spell control is effectively 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseur View Post
        I've myself have house ruled the Sanctum merit so that it increases the spell control, you just need to cast the extra free ones inside your sanctum, but after you can so to speak ignore them.
        How is this a house rule?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

Normally, when you leave the Sanctum any new spells you cast do not benefit from your Sanctum spell control. To give an example:

You are Gnosis 3, with Sanctum 2.
          You cast 5 spells while in your Sanctum, no additional Reach is necessary for exceeding your Spell control, as those five spells are exactly covered by your Gnosis and Sanctum.
          Now you leave your Sanctum and cast a new spell, you are now over-Reaching by 3 (the 2 you cast in your Sanctum +1), as only your Gnosis still supplies spell control.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

By Raw you only get extra spell control while in your sanctum. Like the example, Gnosis 3 sanctum 1 lets you have 4 spells active as long as you cast them inside your sanctum. I house rule it so if you cast 1 spell inside your sanctum, you can still cast 3 extra ones outside and still be inside your spell control limit.

Comment

I appreciate the clarifications saibot and Poseur. The player's character is a paranoid Obrimos who wants to load Prime and Fate detection spells on his Sanctum hence I wanted to make sure he was casting within his available spell control.

Comment

Working...
              X