Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some interesting Fetishes for an antagonistic NPC.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some interesting Fetishes for an antagonistic NPC.

I am putting some idea's together for an antagonist who should be showing his face directly to the players sometime in the next few plot arcs. (Though in truth the players have been unwittingly mopping up the results of a few of his experiments.) Some of my players occasionally frequent these boards, so I can't go into too much detail, but my current notes have him down as being a very proficient Spirit mage (at least Adept level) and I thought it might be interesting for him to have a handful of powerful fetishes on his person, to keep my players guessing as to the exact nature of his powers. (I also occasionally like to use NPC's to showcase strategies or tricks of Awakened Magic that my PC's haven't noticed yet, and I think fetishes fall into that category.)

I am looking for some cool and thematic Fetish idea's from you all. Ideally I would like to come away with a few dedicated to cool non-combat tricks that he can use to further his puppet-master shenanigans (He prefers working through all kinds of catspaws.) And another that he can use in combat against the PC's to dramatic effect. Apart from Spirit, I think his main Arcanum will be Life, Prime and Time.

Thanks in advance for peoples time!

Something one of my NPCs is doing (though not an antagonist) is creating fetishes more in the Werewolf vein than in the usual mage way. Mages usually only craft fetishes that can merely use a numen the spirit had and even then have to deal with spellcontrol. However if you had contacts with Werewolves and somehow managed to learn their rite of fetishbinding from them, wether it is through espionage, intimidation or genuine trust, you can get alot of fetishes that do uncommon things without having to bother about spellcontrol.
    Last edited by Flinty; 09-30-2017, 08:22 AM.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
      Something one of my NPCs is doing (though not an antagonist) is creating fetishes more in the Werewolf vein than in the usual mage way. Mages usually only craft fetishes that can merely use a numen the spirit had and even then have to deal with spellcontrol. However if you had contacts with Werewolves and somehow managed to learn their rite of fetishbinding from them, wether it is through espionage, intimidation or genuine trust, you can get alot of fetishes that do uncommon things without having to bother about spellcontrol.
      Remember, though, that the Mage can Relinquish the spell to free up Spell Control. Doing so unsafely only costs a point (instead of a dot), and if the spell doesn't last that long anyways, it likely won't twist much.

Giving temporary Fetishes to disposable Sleeper minions might be a valid tactic for short term plans or distractions.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Sure low level temporary fetishes are fine. But if you go through the effort of pacifying a rank 3+ spirit, potentially antagonizing it in the process, you probably want something longerlasting in return. Unless you use the RAW rules for Clash of Wills for spirits which makes even lesser incarna absolute chumps, I guess.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

The question that needs answering first is just what the minions wielding these magical devices are meant to be doing with them. If they're meant to be his servants out in the world, they don't actually need to be able to do that much to provide an overwhelming advantage.

A spirit tied to the concepts of gambling and luck, for example, would be a tremendous advantage. Someone's famous "lucky rabbit's foot" turning out to actually be lucky would be quite a thing. Using its Influence (Luck) ability to strengthen their own luck at the gambling table alone would be sufficient to make them fairly wealthy and, if they're intelligent and charismatic enough, put them in a position to parley their way into the circles of those more influential people who enjoy a game of cards or a spin of the roulette wheel. Using luck manipulation can make someone powerful really enjoy their evening with you as they steal the money of everyone else at the table... Or put them deep into your debt.

And that's just one mortal pawn - doesn't even need to be a Sleepwalker - using a Rank 2 spirit in a fetish.

Another example might be using a thieving spirit to grant someone powers related to darkness and stealth. They would be able to act as your spy and agent; disappearing, blending in, and accessing sensitive locations. If the Church of Scientology under Operation Snow White managed to infiltrate multiple government organizations with what amounted to a fake ID and a lock pick, imagine what some magic could do for you.

You only really need a handful of people like this - people who are competent enough to be notable by themselves, but who can be propelled to brilliance with a small magic trinket - to start a web of influence that criss-crosses any given region.

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
            However if you had contacts with Werewolves and somehow managed to learn their rite of fetishbinding from them, wether it is through espionage, intimidation or genuine trust, you can get alot of fetishes that do uncommon things without having to bother about spellcontrol.
            If you go by the setting, it's not the fetish rite that makes any difference, it's that there are werewolves using it. As they are part spirit of the hunt, the spirit's magic is reflected through this and so fetishes are going to be aimed more in that direction.

Comment

Working...
            X